Thraben has Fallen? (spoilers)

97 posts / 0 new
Last post
Don't know what the rule is about spoilers, so I thought I'd put that in the title.

So I was looking at the new spoilers and noticed a couple of things, flavorwise. 1: The picture on Evolving Wilds suggests that Thraben has fallen, so does the cards lore. Deos the picture possibly suggest the Cathedral being overgrown? My assumption that it's fallen is supported by a couple of other cards entailing a battle and the result, such as the flavor text on Thraben Sentry/Thraben Militia, or that on the Walking Corpse, or even moreso on that of the... what is it. Doomsayer Priest? As well as on Endless Ranks of the Dead. Then there's quotes of Thalia telling people to bar the gates and fight for their lives on some of the white cards I don't honestly care to look up at the moment. Then there's the simliarty of the Sanctuary Cat to the Black Cat (which, by the way both have the same artist), the Unhallowed Cathar, the Sightless Ghoul, Mikaeus the Unhallowed, and the highborn ghoul.

I think this is huge, lorewise, really signifying that humans have all but lost. 

Agree/Disagree? I'd like to see you all people's opinions on this such an event. 
You should read this ;)
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Thraben seems to be holding, according to that article. It's definitely under siege by multiple foes, though--zombies on one front, and demons on another. The vampires and werewolves seem fairly uninterested in taking Thraben, though, interestingly enough.
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
oh... herpderp. Herplyderply. Nevermind. Herpderp.

I think Sorin is keeping the Vampires in check, honestly. He doesn't seem to have much of an interest in destroying the human population at all, and some of the flavor text on the cards suggests he actually created Avacyn to keep the world in balance. And I can't think of werewolves amassing to any common goal for really, any reason.

Thanks for pointing out that article though. It was an interesting read. 
...I think Sorin is keeping the Vampires in check, honestly. He doesn't seem to have much of an interest in destroying the human population at all, and some of the flavor text on the cards suggests he actually created Avacyn to keep the world in balance....  

You should probably read(and watch) this too
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Gisa and Geralf are the most hilarious necromancers in the history of zombie-raising.
I think these two are legitimately some of the best characters that Wizards has created, ever, and we hardly know anything about them. That's a real triumph of minimal storytelling. They packed a lot of hilarity into a very small space.

Thalia is pretty awesome, too, come to think of it...
Coming Soon to the Magic: Expanded Multiverse: FRAGMENTS: A Shards of Alara Anthology
(Click through to view the cover and announcement page)Want to get your work in the Expanded Multiverse? Come join the project! Oh, and check out my blog, Storming the Ivory Tower: making sense of academia, media, and culture twice weekly.
It's not just that.

Normally when people list of things that they think of "necromancers", "brother and sister bickering at each other" will probably go very near the bottom of the list if at all. Merging those two literally polar concepts is just simply... brilliant.

Makes me wonder of how Liliana is going to come into this. Gisa's probably not going to like it when she walks into her brother's room... 
That's a great point. They play so vibrantly against type. I think they really use the idea of the insane, sociopathic aristocrats as a bridge to the necromancer thing, but yeah, the dynamics that come from the weird contrast are fantastic.

They remind me a bit of Sparks from Girl Genius, actually, now that I think of it...
...I think Sorin is keeping the Vampires in check, honestly. He doesn't seem to have much of an interest in destroying the human population at all, and some of the flavor text on the cards suggests he actually created Avacyn to keep the world in balance....  

You should probably read(and watch) this too

well there ya go. I really need to start keeping up on these collumns it would seem, lol.

Also, I agree that Gisa and Geralf are undisputably two of the most hillariously insane antagonists in the history of Magic. Hope we can see them as a card. Though I wonder if they'd be printed as one card or two? 
That will contain so much sibling rivalry that will tear the card into two, especially when Gisa stops following the rules of the game.
That will contain so much sibling rivalry that will tear the card into two, especially when Gisa stops following the rules of the game.

stop following the rules... well, maybe it'll be an Unhinged card.
I can see it now, Gisa and Geralf, cast in the mold of Shahrazad

When you play Gisa and Geralf, start playing another game of magic, with your graveyards as your libraries. Do not turn your graveyards over. If a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere, place it on the bottom of your library instead.
Whichever players loses the sub-game loses half their life when you return to the main game.
Fund it. O_O

Is it a surprise to anyone that I love Shahrazad?
I have a strong desire to get a set of Shahrazad to play in a casual deck just to troll. :P
@JasonValdor: If you're interested in following the storyline, Savor the Flavor is highly recommended. And if novels go in the direction they seem to be going, online articles will only become more important.

@Gisa&Geralf: I feel tempted to encourage everyone to discuss which sibling they like better on the tiny chance that it may spark a flame war and split F&S into two sides. Because that would be so delicious.
Personally, I like Geralf's style. He's the one with the cooler zombies, he's the one who got everything done in the siege of Thraben, and he's the one who actually has an ounce of respect for Gentlemen's Agreements. Not to mention Lili picked him as a minion, not Gisa.
And Gisa is totally the one who burned their house down. It was all her fault.
"The truth resists simplicity."
Some memorable quotes
57461258 wrote:
I know, as a good liberal scholar, that I'm supposed to respect every other belief and culture and what have you that comes along but... at the end of the day, when all is said and done, some things are just plain wrong.
92481331 wrote:
Venser "Ah, Hello Myr. This is the King. Long Time no see. We thought today would be a good day for rolling. The Myr Battlesphere. The Myr. Where the first rolls and the second follows. Roll, roll, roll. For that purpose we went to the bother, the bother of fixing up Mirrodin. The King of the Multiverse going to the bother just for rolling a Myr Battlephere, just for that, we went to the bother."
92126575 wrote:
Heard a joke once: Mare goes to doctor. Says she's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says she feels all alone in a threatening world where even ponies you thought were your friends can't be trusted. Doctor says "Treatment is simple. Go to one of Pinkie Pie's great parties tonight. Party hard. That should pick you up." Mare bursts into tears. Says "But, doctor...I am Pinkie Pie." Good joke. Everypony laughs. Roll on snare drum. Curtains. Fade to black.
69511863 wrote:
Sure, "the average person" might go see Transformers 3 if s/he wants a good story, but that doesn't stop people from making decent movies. Hell, they even managed to make Batman into a respectable movie. "The average" person might like American Idol or Jersey Shore, but people still made The Wire.
57722938 wrote:
I think the people who would sit down and listen to a minstrel reciting Homer, or thought that novels were art, or read poetry were always a minority. It's a common viewpoint that art was better in the past because everyone's forgotten the bad stuff, while we haven't had time to forget the awful stuff that is current.
56738148 wrote:
For almost all Magic fans, the "story" of Ravnica, for example, is that it's a city world with ten guilds -- yes, for most, that's a "story." All but a tiny fraction of the fan base are entirely unaware of an elaborate plot perpetrated by Augustin IV to trick Agrus Kos and Szadek into breaking the Guildpact, thereby enabling the Azorius to take control. Likewise, the vast majority of Magic players don't know who Harbin is, or Nivea, or Al-Hayat, or Feather, or Jared Carthalion, or Rebbec, or Zagorka ... the list goes on and on.
57916198 wrote:
I'm pulling this out of nowhere and it has nothing like fact attached to it, but it cannot be disproven without breaking the fourth wall, and this is going to be my headcanon because it makes perfect sense. I posit [Tamiyo, the Moon Sage] writes the Planeswalker's Guides to planes.
And one more thing...
CANON is the collected events and details of a fictional work that come directly from its author or someone with equal authority to the author. CANNON is a weapon that fires metal balls at a target, usually a structure or a crowd of enemy combatants. Every time you confuse the two, I'm forced to break one of my own fingers.
Personally i like Geralfs style too i mean he has freaking giant zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing who doesnt love regular zombies now add that their bigger and tougher!!!!!!!!!! also he has mikaeus ande grimgrin two incredibly strong generals!!! 
Personally i like Geralfs style too i mean he has freaking giant zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!!  who doesnt love regular zombies now add that their bigger and tougher!!!!!!!!!! also he has mikaeus ande grimgrin two incredibly strong generals!!! 

Liliana made Mickey, not Geralf.
Personally i like Geralfs style too i mean he has freaking giant zombies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing who doesnt love regular zombies now add that their bigger and tougher!!!!!!!!!! also he has mikaeus ande grimgrin two incredibly strong generals!!! 

Pft, he WISHES he had Mikaeus. Lili raised him, and I have a feeling Mikaeus might end up killing Geralf if he crosses her. After all, he has no idea who he's actually doting upon.
Not to mention Lili picked him as a bedmate, not Gisa.

Fixed.
@hairlessThoctar:i know lilliana didnt make Geralf i meant that i like the skaab zombies is all

@Barinellos:to kill Geralf, mikaeus would  have to go through grimgrin first off, and i dont really think lilliana sees Geralf as a threat, anyway, to me i think she sees him as a pet project of hers for something 

Fixed.

Slander! How dare you impugne her honor like so!

@Willhman: Pft, Lili can make short work of Grimgrin. Mikaeus is a husk at this point, just so much reanimated meat. The dead don't generally retain anything in the brain department.
And it's less that Lili thinks Geralf is a threat and more that if he makes himself obnoxious, she has no use for him.

Fixed.

Slander! How dare you impugne her honor like so!

@Willhman: Pft, Lili can make short work of Grimgrin. Mikaeus is a husk at this point, just so much reanimated meat. The dead don't generally retain anything in the brain department.
And it's less that Lili thinks Geralf is a threat and more that if he makes himself obnoxious, she has no use for him.

I donno, I bet Mikaeus' undead form is still totally stuck up.

Also, don't act like you wouldn't 'do' Liliana. The innistrad version is hawt! 
The problem is not on lili's sex appeal it is on saying that she would bed geralf.
Show
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Eh, no thanks, that's just asking to get your mind erased
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
I can so totally see her do that just to troll Jace.

Though as a green planeswalker Garruk might be in a better position to do that. 

Why would she troll Jace? She actually LIKES Jace.

Why would she troll Jace? She actually LIKES Jace.

Like, like like? or just, like, like like? 

*mind = blown*

Maybe they'll get together and have little baby necromancing/deck-trolling babies together! 

If they had a Facebook relationship status it would be "It's Complicated."

Although that doesn't stop her from stealing Jace's damn food... That boy needs to eat! Come on, Liliana, we know you're evil, but that just crosses a line that shouldn't be crossed.

*mind = blown*

Maybe they'll get together and have little baby necromancing/deck-trolling babies together! 

It's in Agents of Artifice. If you decide to only read one book in the entire storyline, read that one!

Also, I'm on Team Geralf.

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

*mind = blown*

The boots, they have been knocked.
For more than a few months too...
If you'd connect the dots you'll find that she's been secretly staging her own Reality show: A Shot at Love with Lily of the Veil
Show
Obligatory and Preliminary Smiley Reservoir: IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Wee.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/Dancing%20AIM.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/rawr.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/ghgh.png)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/%5D%5D.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/luv.gif)IMAGE(http://rsescape.net/forum/Smileys/RSE%20emotes/circle.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/sly.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/turtle.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/jade.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/wilson.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/pcXQL.gif)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/blushing.png)IMAGE(http://www.the-gladiatorz.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/proud.png)
@Barinellos: I know Lili can beat Grimgrin i meant that Mikaues would have a lot of trouble  couldnt beat grimgrin without Lilis help

Lili sleeping with Geralf Plz!!!!!its like your saying Jace wouldnt come to innistrad to kick his butt up and down the plane!!! No forget that he'd make Geral kick his own butt up and down the plane!!!!!!
Hmmm if Jace showed up and pulled some mind reading finding out Lili and Geralf had slept together (keep in mind this is all a what if kind of thing) what would be the best way it could end? (Best not most likely)
I would say he sleeps with Gisa and Lili on Geralf's bed. While mind controling Geralf to watch helplessly.
Show
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
@Barinellos: for the lulz obviously. And the amusement of the fans for playing up the common perception of her as a... well, loose woman.

And she can get Gisa to join in too. And Garruk. And Jace. And then everyone else...

You know, I think Lili has just turned into a black hole where nothing can escape from her.
@Barinellos: for the lulz obviously. And the amusement of the fans for playing up the common perception of her as a... well, loose woman. And she can get Gisa to join in too. And Garruk. And Jace. And then everyone else... You know, I think Lili has just turned into a black hole where nothing can escape from her.

And you folks wonder why my cloak is made from the skin of speculators...
Hey, don't look at me. I don't speculate. I do Wild Mass Guess.

Tabs for Sorin/Jace being Time Lords.
Hey, don't look at me. I don't speculate. I do Wild Mass Guess. Tabs for Sorin/Jace being Time Lords.

Make your guesses more extreeeeeeeeme.

But for serious, don't start chewing on characters that people really like with terms like "loose."
It's insulting and demeaning. It'd be one thing to look at Lili through the lens of being a sexually liberated woman. It's another to declare her to be a loose harlot who will jump on anything and everything, which is basically what you do when you declare her a BLACK HOLE.
I'm honestly a little concerned with how a woman would respond to that comparison.

As for the Time Lord... y'know, I just can't make the joke about Venser looking like Tennant. Venser just sucks too much and The Doctor is way too awesome.
Also, Karn is best Time Lord. God knows he's destroyed the universe as often as Eleven has.
Time lords planeswalker hybrid??? how will we survive!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can see people buying that card just for fun!!!!!!! 
Yeah, well, sorry. I was actually going for the pun (seeing thag Liliana is a black planeswalker). But it does seem that quite a lot of people are regarding Liliana as a '****' of some sort.

That said, I'm if the opinion that people should be comfortable with their sexuality enough that they can have as much sex with as many people and as often as they want. Thus when I call somebody "loose" I don't mean anything demeaning.
Well, sorry. I was actually going for the pun (Liliana is a black planeswalker and she attracts everything like a black hole that not even light can escape), but seems like people think about something entirely different.

To be honest, though, I'm of the opinion that people should be comfortable enough with their sexuality that they can bed with as many people as often in any form and anywhere they want. Gender is irrelevant.
Sign In to post comments