01/24/2011 SF: "Commanding the Darkness"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

In all The Mimeoplasm's Deck I've seen, there is one Card sorely missing: Phyrexian Dreadnought. For 1 Mana, you get a 12/12 into the yard (great for the 'Plasm) AND you can sac it really profitable to Fling, Greater Good and other things that care about the Power/Toughness of the sacced Creature.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
In all The Mimeoplasm's Deck I've seen, there is one Card sorely missing: Phyrexian Dreadnought. For 1 Mana, you get a 12/12 into the yard (great for the 'Plasm) AND you can sac it really profitable to Fling, Greater Good and other things that care about the Power/Toughness of the sacced Creature.

Well when it comes to giving Mimeoplasm a lot of counters, and given the fact that we are talking Dark Ascension here, it might be slightly smaller then the Dreadnought but how about: Ghoultree

Since you are already throwing stuff into the graveyard you should be able to cast him on the cheap and probably even for just one green mana! Plus he doesn't need to die or sac other stuff right away, although fling, greater good and stuff like that would still be nice, of course. Then when he has done his thing on the battlefield and ends up in the graveyard he still gives your plasm 10 counters! I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal.

You've read that correctly:

1. Make any type of token that isn't a Spirit.

2. Sacrifice, block, attack into certain doom, or otherwise exchange these assorted non-Spirit tokens for desirable things.

3. Profit with a newer, flightier army.

Now add a sacrifice outlet (say Altar of Dementia) and Conspiracy, set to anything other than Spirit. Pow! Welcome to the world of arbitrarily large, controlled loops. Have fun!

I'd be worried about using tokens with tribal effects like this because of the bookkeepping. I have a Ghave deck, but I've only played it once and I'm not playing it again until I can get around to reducing the confusion somehow, because I threw in a bunch of unique token-generators in there. Spawnwrithe, Hornet Queen, Nacatl War-Pride, etc. To keep track of tokens, I usually use just use glass beads or dice with a certain face up, but that isn't enough information sometimes. Which tokens marked "1" are simple Saprolings, which are Pegasi or Spirits with flying, and which are Hornets with flying and deathtouch? Which tokens marked "2" are vanilla Zombies and which are Spawnwrithes? Yes, I've saved all my token cards from opening boosters, but that doesn't cover half the token types out there. (We generally keep the tokens on or by the cards that created them, but sometimes they should be in different zones...)

I've now got another EDH deck which happens to include some token-making, and I consciously kept all of it to either 1/1s with flying, or 2/2 vanilla creatures, and there's nothing that cares about the creature types of either. Personally, I'd suggest doing something like that unless you somehow manage to keep ALL your token generation to stuff that matches token cards.

My advice to you, cybishop, is to make some tokens of your own. Now obviously this isn't as good a solution as wotc changing things about on their end or selling packs of tokens directly, but right now it's the best thing you can do.

I suggest printing on decent quality stock (just using a modern printer with high quality thicker card/paper is fine - you can find something capable of this at copyshops or public libraries etc). Get some suitable card frame pdfs by googling them and throw on some appropriate art. Little bit of image manipulation later, print off as many as you need.

These are just as legit as the tokens wotc provide and they add a nice personal touch. I've been saying to people for a while, using high quality tokens like these makes a big difference to how you'll feel about token decks. It's a lot more fun, it often inspires the other player to do the same, it's a talking point and it's clearer for everyone to tell at a glance what the current state of play is.
I agree with making your own tokens. My wife has a Marrow-Gnawer EDH deck, and although we have one or two of the official Rat tokens, no way do we have enough for that deck! It often gets up to 15 or 20 at least. So I printed out a few Rat tokens, and a few with "Rat x5", "Rat x10" and "Rat x20" on

I have a Riku of Two Reflections deck, but it's rather different to Adam's idea of a Riku deck. Mine is very heavily focused on creatures. So I need lots of tokens for creatures, in many cases not even vanilla creatures... Anyone got a Spitebellows token or a Deadwood Treefolk token? No? Guess it's a good job that I play with a pen and paper handy. That deck is now packaged with quite a few little scraps of paper saying "SPITEBELLOWS, 6/1, LTB 6 to ctr" and "ARTISAN OF KOZILEK, 10/9 Annihilator 2"...

I do like glass beads as much as the next man, and I use them for Saprolings and Soldiers quite a lot. But for such complicated tokens, little squares of scribbled-on paper are the way to go. (Unless I suppose I printed out a couple of token copies of every creature in the deck... That sounds rather like hard work though.)

I was always gutted that there was never an official Bat token for the Guildpact bat cards like Belfry Spirit and Skeletal Vampire. So I made my own in GIMP, using a range of artwork from DeviantArt. You can see them here; there's a mix between sensibly drawn bats, and rather more silly / cute / animesque ones
Just posting here to say that your bat tokens are amazing alextfish!

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Point: copying a flashbacked Increasing Savagery with Riku, the copies are NOT cast from the graveyard; they are never cast period. So you don't get a doubled tripler...
Perhaps im playing by different rules, but how are you playing with Revielark in a Kresh, the Bloodbraided EDH deck?
Also, Alextfish, I usually make my own tokens. Mostly out of old lands and a permanent marker, though also occasionally with A card making program.
Also, Alextfish, I usually make my own tokens. Mostly out of old lands and a permanent marker, though also occasionally with a token creator I found online (yes, I do have Spawnwrithe tokens).
Perhaps im playing by different rules, but how are you playing with Revielark in a Kresh, the Bloodbraided EDH deck?

He isn't, he is saying that Kelly Digges played a Reveillark combo in a different deck (of which he doesn't even say it was a commander deck) and that he is thinking of a combo in his Kresh deck using Mikeaus, the Unhallowed and a persist creature such as Murderous Redcap in a similar fashion as the Reveillark, Body Double, Karmic Guide  combo Kelly used.
Sign In to post comments