Flavorful modules

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
These are the modules that I would like to see but do not need to be supported by a setting. They do not need to be huge. Small modules with flavor, some new rules, feats, spells, items, maybe some PrC and mosnters. Maybe worth 15$ and available in PDF. Here are three categories.

Flavah:

-Horror
-BoVD
-BoED
-Eroticism
-Antiquity (Greek, Roman)
-Celtic
-Viking
-Aztec
-Shamanic
-Barbaric
-Pirates (Yarrrrr!)
-Oriental (Ya!)
-Arabian Night (Yalalala!)
-Military campaign
-Arthurian/Chivalry
-Political intrigue/Spy game
-Economy like how to have businesses in D&D
-"I am Immortal!" playing scions or avatars/aspects of gods
-Feypunk (a grim fey feel)
-Necropolis/Necracy (where the undead rule)
-Magocracy (where mages rule)
-Theocracy
-Kings and Emperors

Technology:

-Gunslingers and other gunpowder fun
-Steampunk
-Mechas like Dragon Mech
-Flying airships
-Modern
-Post-apocalyptic/dieselpunk (like Mad Max)
-Cyberpunk/hackers
-Nanopunk/diamond age
-Space exploration
-Biopunk with mutants and genetic modifications
-Mechas, classic sci-fi ones

Terrains:

-Deserts
-Toundra and Icebergs
-Jungles, forests and marshes
-Underdark
-The seas and underwater
-Cities, sewers and villages
-Castles and forteresses
-Ruins and dungeons
-Moons, asteroids and beyond
Look though some of the older modules and you wil find much of what is on this list. They may need adaption but, the majority of the work is done.
MY DM COMMITMENT To insure that those who participate in any game that I adjudicate are having fun, staying engaged, maintaining focus, contributing to the story and becoming legendary. "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gary Gygax Thanks for that Gary, so now stop playing RAW games. Member of the Progressive Front of Grognardia Suicide Squad
There are also unoffical 4e adaptations for much of Paizo's cannon. Editorially, they are a good place to look for for tone.
I bought most of the 4e Modules, but I haven't opened the higher level ones.  Is the buy core game once then spend wads of dough on modules business model a proven failure?  I am not a fan of the buy the core game every couple years supported by powercreep books and few modules.

I definitely want to see more modules, and not remakes of old modules but new exciting story lines written by professional righters, with game designers to back them up. Got a cool monster idea anything you want, bob in game design will help put together the rules mechanics let’s have a little extra effort and make really nice inventive modules. To me well put together modules like (Sons of Guurmsh) for the forgotten realms champagne setting in 3.5 are the gold standard for what a module should be. My group liked that adventure so much they literally had me run it three times, for different character’s and people who were out of town

I definitely want to see more modules, and not remakes of old modules but new exciting story lines written by professional righters, with game designers to back them up. Got a cool monster idea anything you want, bob in game design will help put together the rules mechanics let’s have a little extra effort and make really nice inventive modules. To me well put together modules like (Sons of Guurmsh) for the forgotten realms champagne setting in 3.5 are the gold standard for what a module should be. My group liked that adventure so much they literally had me run it three times, for different character’s and people who were out of town

If you have never seen it you should take a look at The Complete Masks of Nyarlathotep. Widely considered by publishers and gamers alike to be the best adventure out there.
MY DM COMMITMENT To insure that those who participate in any game that I adjudicate are having fun, staying engaged, maintaining focus, contributing to the story and becoming legendary. "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gary Gygax Thanks for that Gary, so now stop playing RAW games. Member of the Progressive Front of Grognardia Suicide Squad
The return of modules is something that I am highly passionate about as well. I have spoken at length with my friends about it. I loved reading modules and soaking in the mystery and flavor of these works. And the artwork only served to fuel me. Even if I didn't run the module, I could be inspired by it and snip ideas from it. Since 3.x, the massive module support waned. Dungeon Magazine has kept adventure support alive, but it's not the same. I still want my modules.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

A. If D&D Next is to unite all editions, then it would be reasonable to assume that old material would be even more valid, with some minor tweaking.
Release the classics from the back catalog... imagine "The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth", "White Plume Mountain", or "Tomb of Horrors" as an updated PDF priced in the 7-10 dollar range. An affordable purchase that will bring old school concepts to new players.

B. For the multitude of old school player's who already own these modules, release an update PDF with converted mechanical content only priced 2-4 dollars. These players buy the update document, plug in the new stats, and play.

Both strategies A and B have low overhead, the work only needing to be done once. They may even be tied in with other digital efforts, such as DDI.

C. Create all new stories! I want new legends to talk about. I want the D&D mythology to grow in new directions. I want a new killer dungeon to scare my kids with someday (gotta have a few first).
C. Create all new stories! I want new legends to talk about. I want the D&D mythology to grow in new directions. I want a new killer dungeon to scare my kids with someday (gotta have a few first).

The guys over at shadow run do something interesting with their organized play. Given that the characters of this game have a high morality rate those shadow runners that survive through several organized play missions are developed into the game cannon.

A redefinition of WotC organized play would have to be redone for something similar.