Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminsters Forgotten Realms

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.amazon.com/Greenwood-Presents-Elmins...

I want to know who worked on this.

Will it be for all eras of play?

Oct 16th will be here before we know it...

HAND OF KARSUS!

I want to know more on this info
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
ooooooOOOOoooo

Shiny!
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I'm hoping for pre-spellplague myself. Why would they release an "all eras" book when they already have a spellplague era book.

I'm also hoping this is the next sign that WOTC is trying to undo the misguided damage done to the D&D during 4e. 

If not, I love Golarion.  
Well, as I've always said, if you don't like the FR of the 1400s, just play your game in the 1300s, no harm no foul... 

I think the biggest angst over the 4e Realms is just the huge 100-year hole in the middle after 3e.  Hopefully this will help fill in that continuity for us!
I asked at Candlekeep, and THO's response was:

"Ed has no idea how that title was chosen, nor can he confirm anything about that book. And yes, he knows saying that tells you he's involved with it...which is as far as he'll go right now."

Announced today at D&D XP products seminar:

"Next we have Elminster's Forgotten Realms in Quarter 4. We basically went to Ed and said hey, why don't you take all your campaign notes, all the information you've been putting together for your FR campaign and lets compile it into a book. Show us the realms as you've developed it in your campaign setting and lets get that to everybody. It's our celebration of the Forgotten Realms and pulling back the curtain to show you what the designer of the campaign setting has done."

So it looks like it will be an overview of his own FR home campaign. I suspect this will make a lot of people very happy as there's been a lot of requests for "What would Ed do?" with regards to the Realms.

Personally I'm most curious to see if/how Ed dealt with the Spellplague and all of the changes made in the 4e timeline.

There was a question and answer later on in the session that related to this book:

"Is Ed's Forgotten Realms edition neutral?
It focuses on his specific campaign, so his individual stories might mention mechanics from different editions, the stories and lore should apply to all editions."

It should make everyone happy. I'm predicting a best seller for WotC.
Awesome news, Style. Thanks also for the Howlingtower.com link!
Wow... the first Realms product I've been enthused about in better than 4 years... so going to pick that one up.  That bodes well for 5e perhaps, though I've not got my hopes up to much.  Unless they annouce they're going to a classless system without static leveling involved, then I'll be truly enthused about it.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Excited about this book, looking forward to it very much.

(These forums are very quiet...)

yep...
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....

The Edition War(TM) IMO killed this place. 

HAND OF KARSUS!

no oppinion; it did kill it....

being told just to use the older books was slaps in the faces..... yawn.

it will pick up again when the ed greenwood presents Elminster's FR is released.

I hope......

it must pick up...... Lord Karsus must return...... his fan insight and knowledge of its lore was always educational to read.... 

It should make everyone happy.

Actually not me. If I buy a Realm product I want canon facts about the Realms, not someone's non-canon home-Realms. Even if that someone is Ed Greenwood.

And to me this doesn't bode well for the future of FR products. I really hope this is not a new trend of a lot of different Realms-canons.

Like Eric framed it: "One Canon, One Story, One Realms"

It should make everyone happy.

Actually not me. If I buy a Realm product I want canon facts about the Realms, not someone's non-canon home-Realms. Even if that someone is Ed Greenwood.

And to me this doesn't bode well for the future of FR products. I really hope this is not a new trend of a lot of different Realms-canons.

Like Eric framed it: "One Canon, One Story, One Realms"

This.

If the book is just a fun one off, or a book that showcases how you can incorporate your own ideas into a cannonized world, etc, then I will be interested in it. If it establishes some kind of weird alternate realms, I have no use for it. 
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

Maybe I am getting it wrong. Maybe it's a book with all the yet unpublished tibits from Ed that just fit anywhere. That would be great.

What I would have no interest in buying is a book that describes the status of the Realms from Ed's home campaign in 1393 (or whatever date he reached) and where the Time of Trouble never happened. That sort of alternate realty book I simply do not want and fear it may set a precedent for a course that would utterly disappiont me.

As someone who dislikes the Spellplagued Realms, a full out retcon or an alternate version of the setting would be welcomed news to my ears. While such a move would be great in my opinion, it does "take the setting away" from another portion of the fans. That's a bad deal no matter how we look at it, even if some of those supposed new fans were in part responsible for the ridiculous Spellplague (and other stuff) by their incessant outcries exaggerating and perpetuating any percieved problems with the classic Realms. A bad deal no matter how we look at it indeed.

Such a position on WotC's part would alienate yet another portion of the fans and may not even bring back those who departed the setting. For the sake of a less hassle at the least, a drastic retcon or alternate Realms is not a good direction.

I think WotC realizes this, or never gave serious thought to such a "worst case scenario". I think this book will be a compilation of Ed's ideas or elaboration and spin on lore, which players and DMs can mine for their games of any era, right in line with WotC's stated intentions for 5E and the Realms.
I got the impression it was more insight into his campaign and the various bits of lore he's concocted for it, rather than an alternate reality version of the Realms at large.  I'm not expecting some canon-trumping vindicating ret-con, so much as a look into the Realms through the eyes of the original creator.  From the description I see it more as a DM resource to mine for ideas and lore, rather than as an alternate campaign setting in its own right.  At least I hope that's how it turns out.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

I got the impression it was more insight into his campaign and the various bits of lore he's concocted for it, rather than an alternate reality version of the Realms at large.  I'm not expecting some canon-trumping vindicating ret-con, so much as a look into the Realms through the eyes of the original creator.  From the description I see it more as a DM resource to mine for ideas and lore, rather than as an alternate campaign setting in its own right.  At least I hope that's how it turns out.

Some scribes at candlekeep have already fantasized that it will be a "Canon-trumping vindicating ret-con"...

HAND OF KARSUS!

I think it will be worth buying no matter what.
When Ed decides to get involved with expanding Realms lore, it is always well worth it.
The material can be adapted to any edition or timeline you play.
Photobucket PLEASE JOIN THE KEEP MYSTRA DEAD CLUB. Thank you.
I think it will be worth buying no matter what.
When Ed decides to get involved with expanding Realms lore, it is always well worth it.
The material can be adapted to any edition or timeline you play.

This. 

What Stigger said too.

Can't wait to get my hands on this book!

besides... if you read and choose to retcon something at your table and like what they did at Ed's table or someone else's table than its a win win situation. 

Some scribes at candlekeep have already fantasized that it will be a "Canon-trumping vindicating ret-con"...

Sure, and I can say that D'r'i'z'z'i't's (  ) going to being dual-weilding +6 Spaghetti Noodles of Awesomeness in 5e, but that doesn't make it true, if you take my meaning...

- Oscar Wilde

not the spaghetti noodles of awesomeness...

I want the eggshells of uberness +7 
I must have this book!!!
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Cover art for the new book
Shiny.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Very shiny... wonder if that's supposed to be Florin there.

- Oscar Wilde

Very shiny... wonder if that's supposed to be Florin there.

Maybe it's Elminster. :D

But then, my favorite El book is Making of A Mage.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
Good point... could be actually.  Never know with the Old Goat.

- Oscar Wilde

The book looks very shiny indeed!

Good point... could be actually.  Never know with the Old Goat.

Well, he was other things before he was a Mage after all, or even before he was the Old part of "Old Goat" ;). If memory serves, didn't he start out as a rogue in Athalantar?

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
Ah the Old goat is a roque at heart no matter how powerful he got as a Mage.  I am never found Elminister deaths to good for the Forgotten Realms for that setting. 

I am glad that Mystra (Midnight) is gone as goddess she never was Goddess material especially when it came to the Goddess of Magic.  I do believe that God of Magic is needed for the realms though.   Elminister will make an excellant god of magic no.  Embarassed  
I think Elminster would make a good patron of Good mages, or something like that. But a God or Goddess of Magic should be neutral.

In a different setting I'd love an evil god/goddess of magic, tempting the souls of magic users, etc. But not in the Realms.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
In the Dragonlance they do have three gods of magic based upon alignment of the mages.  In this setting I can see easily it more based upon the Weave and the Shadowweave.  Yep right the God of Magic needs to be neutral.  Mystra (Midnight) when I read her character interactions I don't think she act very neutral though. 
That's only because Mystra wasn't neutral. :P

She should have been, but she wasn't. Elminster wouldn't be any more neutral than she was. An altruistic adventurer's god? Absolutely! But not the god of magic, please.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
All of them, Mystryl, Mystra, and Midnight have been neutral. Mystral was Chaotic Neutral, Mystra was Lawful Neutral, and Midnight was Neutral Good. A technicality, certainly, and a little pedantic, but I just thought I'd point it out...

- Oscar Wilde

All of them, Mystryl, Mystra, and Midnight have been neutral. Mystral was Chaotic Neutral, Mystra was Lawful Neutral, and Midnight was Neutral Good. A technicality, certainly, and a little pedantic, but I just thought I'd point it out...

lol Semantics! :D The first two were fine, but Midnight need an alignment change. Maybe to true neutral. :P
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
I always preferred Mystra myself... was more than a little annoyed by the ToT killing her off.  Probably why I tend to ignore the event entirely.

- Oscar Wilde

The next god of magic has to be true Neutral.  Having no ethos over good or evil.  That was the Mystra (Midnight) downfall outside of Shar and Cyric. LOL.

lol Semantics! :D The first two were fine, but Midnight need an alignment change. Maybe to true neutral. :P

Thus, we find the entrance of the Shadow Weave into FR lore. By its very existence, the need for a counter-balance was needed. Therefore, Midnight/Mystra was aligned as good.

Well, still haven't properly edited my photos yet, so this is what we get. People!! The current status of these boards: POP ON!
I always thought the Shadow Weave and Weave existed in about the same time when magic first came about on Toril.  I am guessing what I am ask when the Weave first occured on Toril the Shadow Weave occured roughly the same time to maintain balance between light and dark.  My impression when Selune and Shar battle the first time the combine energies that first created Mystryl also created the Weave and Shadow Weave.  As long as Mystra was alive and protecting the Weave she was also indirectly protecting the Shadow Weave. 

My theory is that the Shadow Weave and Weave two aspects of the whole and one can't exist without the other.  I never really played mage characters as DM I did read up on the magic of Toril and came up with this.