Best counter in Modern?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to get into Modern, but only just starting so I still have a lot to figure out.  I've been thinking about a few different decks recently that involve blue, and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding which counterspells to use.  A few that I usually consider:
Rune Snag
Spell Pierce
Spell Snare
Remand
Mana Leak
Delay
Muddle the Mixture with other good 2 cost spells.
sideboard Squelch, Flashfreeze

I didn't play for 3-4 years before Innistrad, so I'm sure there are some good ones I have yet to see.  And that's not even counting unusual stuff like Pact of Negation that fit into specific decks.

So I thought I'd put it out for a discussion to see what counters people think are the best.  Not knowing anything about the local meta (because I don't) is there any default counter you'll use for any blue deck?

Depends on so many factors. Negate is one you missed off the list, not to mention Cryptic Command.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
Cryptic Command is one of those I always forget because I wasn't playing when it came out.  I'm sure there are other situational counters I've missed or overlooked, I'm just trying to figure out how I decide which counters fit with which type of deck.
Remand is the best for combo decks, and Mindbreak Trap is pretty much a must for Blue decks to counter storm combo decks.

(at)MrEnglish22

Trickbind works against storm decks as an alternative to Mindbreak and works wonders in conjunction with mindbreak since it can prevent gigadrowse and mindbreak can then be used against the storm.
Of course I'm sure I've gone mad. The little man who crawled out of my eye was quite clear on this.
Remand isn't really a counter, it's a Repulse.

For a real counter, Rune Snag if you're running four, Mana Leak if you're running less than four (or intend to side out less than four, or are worried about snapcasting them). Negate and Flashfreeze are meta calls or sideboard cards. Cryptic Command is good but I wouldn't play it without some cheaper counters as well.
blah blah metal lyrics
Remand isn't really a counter, it's a Repulse.

For a real counter, Rune Snag if you're running four, Mana Leak if you're running less than four (or intend to side out less than four, or are worried about snapcasting them). Negate and Flashfreeze are meta calls or sideboard cards. Cryptic Command is good but I wouldn't play it without some cheaper counters as well.

Still counters Pyromancer's Ascensions for a turn. Though I agree it doesn't really count. And about the rest of the stuff.

(at)MrEnglish22

Hinder is good utility, and can stop them from just grabbing something back.  Most of the time the bottom of the library is a bit harder to deal with than the gy, but it also has the utility to work a bit like remand, forcing a redraw, so if your running heavy counter, you can stop them from grabbing a land with mana, and then make it where they have to draw and cast next turn anyway instead of having a new draw which could have been the land they were looking for.  Pretty nifty.

Condescend Is another 'good for the utility' counter.  It's a pay X, rather than a meet X, which is not too bad.  It is a late game counter most of the time, but it lets you set up what you might get next, which other than cryptic, blue is lacking in the counter dept. 
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator. Check out my set! http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/27691729/Set_-_Realms_of_Elandra
Still counters Pyromancer's Ascensions for a turn. Though I agree it doesn't really count. And about the rest of the stuff.

Remand is a great card, no question, I just feel that calling it a counter is misleading.
blah blah metal lyrics

Remand is a great card, no question, I just feel that calling it a counter is misleading.

That's fair. Also, I'd like to throw the hat of Spell Burst in. Urzatron is proving to be a real contender (bet money there's a ban incoming) and Spell Burst locks the game down with tron out. While I understand its a situational counter, its highly potent.

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm trying to get into Modern, but only just starting so I still have a lot to figure out.  I've been thinking about a few different decks recently that involve blue, and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding which counterspells to use.  A few that I usually consider:
Rune Snag
Spell Pierce
Spell Snare
Remand
Mana Leak
Delay
Muddle the Mixture with other good 2 cost spells.
sideboard Squelch, Flashfreeze

I didn't play for 3-4 years before Innistrad, so I'm sure there are some good ones I have yet to see.  And that's not even counting unusual stuff like Pact of Negation that fit into specific decks.

So I thought I'd put it out for a discussion to see what counters people think are the best.  Not knowing anything about the local meta (because I don't) is there any default counter you'll use for any blue deck?

I like Rune Snag a lot, to me it's a bit better in the long run over Mana Leaks if you run a full playset of them. Cryptic Command and Remand are favorites of mine as well. 
The red mage in me wants to say

Guttural Response

but in all honesty I think Dispel is pretty good for 1 mana
I recently discovered Familiar's Ruse and have been liking the idea.  I'm building a UW control deck that also uses Venser, the Sojourner to reuse creatures with ETB effects, so I think it will fit very well.  Best case scenario, I cast it returning Snapcaster Mage.  Later I cast Snapcaster, flashing back the counter and returning Snapcaster again.  I've flashed back Ruse for the mana cost of Snapcaster, and I get two extra uses out of him in the end.
I recently discovered Familiar's Ruse and have been liking the idea.  I'm building a UW control deck that also uses Venser, the Sojourner to reuse creatures with ETB effects, so I think it will fit very well.  Best case scenario, I cast it returning Snapcaster Mage.  Later I cast Snapcaster, flashing back the counter and returning Snapcaster again.  I've flashed back Ruse for the mana cost of Snapcaster, and I get two extra uses out of him in the end.

This.

I'd say it sounds win-more, but you need that kind of CA.

Wait... hrmz. Wouldn't you also have to pay the additional costs when you flash ruse back, also?

It'd certainly be nice as a 2-of hard counter, in either case. 
76783093 wrote:
Luckily, we have stop-having-fun guys to remind us that having anything more than 60 cards in your deck is tantamount to being a rapist and anyone considering it should be strung up by their ****.

I'd say it sounds win-more, but you need that kind of CA.

Wait... hrmz. Wouldn't you also have to pay the additional costs when you flash ruse back, also?

Yes, thats what he's talking about getting two uses from it.
Cast 1- Bounce Snapcaster
Flashback Cast 2 - Bounce Snapcaster
2 extra uses. 

(at)MrEnglish22

*facepalm*

That's the point.