NPC Concepts

Hey All.

Since there seems to be some renewed interest in SAGA I'm making Blog entries for several NPC designs I've made.  Most of these are NPC's built over 20 levels, designed so that they can be easily picked apart and utilized at specific levels for specific reasons.

The first entry is here, the Scout Sniper (Spotter).
I picked this one first because it is a support NPC, a role that is often lost on official threats.  Also, while it's designed as a military/para-military threat, it is capable of being molded easily as a non-combat support character, similar to a detective , customs officer, or truthsayer in a court.

The second one is the Agent of Ossus.
This is a par style character, not overly powerful, but with some creative stealth tactics to confound players, as well as a good friendly contact for later level NPC's especailly during the rebellion and New Republic eras.

More to follow.  Please leave comments here or on individual entries.  I welcome pointing out errors and efficiency ideas.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
I won't go through looking for little ways to optimize (the fact that you change focus as you level means that these builds are far from optimal) and so I won't check the specific numbers, but on the Scout:

- You're sitting on a 36 point buy, which is high-ish.  I'll admit, I'll use a PB that high sometimes, butto give that to an NPC he'd have to be really important to my plot.  At that point, I'll just build him myself.
- Why the high INT?  I'd think that a sniper would benefit much more from a high Dexterity.  Further, why do you keep increasing it.  20 INT seems excessive for an NPC who needed be that bright.
- Your attack is really low.  At level 20, with a rifle, your attack will only be +16, which is really low.  And I don't see much in the way of improving that attack.

"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
The spotter isn't really a design for attacking flat out.  The goal of the design is to provide support.  Basically attacking is a last ditch effort for that character.

Also, the Point buy was 28.  However, I made this a while ago and just now realized the neimodians have different stat bonuses in GoI than in the Core rules.  That makes things a bit different.

I will adjust the stats to account for that disparity.  Oops.  Thanks Raul.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want
Sign In to post comments