Classless 4E (take two): Do-It-Yourself 4E

195 posts / 0 new
Last post
With the strings of ideas floating around here, and to provide a complete presentation of the classless system, it was about time that I transferred it to a new thread, so that people don't have to look through all 7+ pages of that thread to figure out the details on the system changes made by this homebrew.

Table of Contents
Introduction
Changes
I. Definition of Terms
II. Character Creation
--A. Race
--B. Role
--C. Powers
III. Actions Available
IV. Using Original 4E Options
V. Optional Systems
--A. Feat System
--B. Skill System
--C. Tier System 
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
Introduction
This system originally began as a mental exercise, just to see how flexible the 4E modularity methodology really is.   However, through the nudgings of mhbjarkistef, I have continued to develop it, possibly to the point where it could be considered a completely different beast from 4E, even though it is still 100% compatible with the parent system.

As I mentioned in the original thread, the inspiration of this system came primarily from two sources: Gamma World 4E, a post-apocalyptic, humor-rich game based completely off 4E, and Dungeon Master's Guide 2 which, among many other wonderful toys it gave to the DM, included the Character Companions.

This system attempts to utilize those two elements, as well as elements introduced in the Essentials product line of D&D 4E, adding a few spins of my own on the system.

Changes
24 February 2012
- Upon realizing that the Weapon keyword was not necessary for most of the weapon powers (see: Unseelie Agent theme), all powers that have the weapon keyword EXCEPT Basic Attacks AND Greater Cleave was removed.

16 February 2012
- Made corrections in Chapter 4, to clarify the effects of converting from original 4E to Classless 4E.
- Adjusted Deadly Strike, Life-Giving Word, Role Master, Harrying Assault, Spellblade, Pummeling Crash, Magical Pillar, Spectral Summon, Adrenaline Rush, and Magical Storm.
- Added Universal Utilities, which all characters gain.
- Added Greater Cleave.

14 February 2012
- Happy Valentine's Day!
- Made changes to a lot of powers, in part to allow their use with an implement-based basic attack power.
- Added Mana Shock, an implement-based basic attack.  It is not considered a replacement for Basic Attack (because being a spellcaster doesn't necessarily negate your punching capability), but it does add some simple control effects, so I considered it as a selectable at-will attack power.
- Added Role Master, and allowed single-role characters to utilize the power to close the power gap between them and dual-role characters.
- Changed Sneak Attack to Deadly Strike, and changed the Striker benefit yet again.  So now the [easily trivial in 4E post-Essentials] need for combat advantage is removed, and Striker primary/Secondary simply deal a lot more damage.

13 February 2012
- Switched the leader benefits of Spellblade and Harrying Assault, for better thematic sense

12 February 2012
- Adjusted Magical Burst, Life-Giving Word, Control Zone
- Removed Power Strike for now

10 February 2012
- Fixed Foe's Folly to work with the marked condition.
- Increased the use of Control Zone.
- Added Power Strike.
- Fixed Magical Burst wording and timing
- Changed Cleaving Strike's Leader benefit from shift to move

09 February 2012
- Renamed Sneaky Surprise to Sneak Attack, and allowed it to do damage from afar, with the additional benefit of even more damage if you're a dedicated striker and you have combat advantage
- Transferred powers to the powers section.
- Fixed a variety of powers.

05 February 2012
- made several fixes and tweaks to Foe's Folly, Sneaky Surprise and Control Zone

31 January 2012
- removed Stalwart Defender, and adjusted Foe's Folly
- fixed Swift Action and Triggered Action
- entered the Using Original 4E Options section

23 January 2012
- Thread created, elements from previous thread merged, fixed in appearance, and presented in this thread.
Show

You are Red/Blue!

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
I. Definition of Terms
Due to the differences between the original 4E and this DIY 4E, some terms have to be established.

• Elemental Affinity refers to the types of damage you can deal when using powers that have the Implement keyword.

• Skills are now keywords that can enhance actions or powers that have the associated skill.  This change is necessary in order to make skills an optional system, in part because when you look at the original 4E system, skill checks are basically specialized ability checks (so DMs can already "fudge it" by calling ability checks and ignoring the skill system).  In addition, making them keywords instead of a completely separate skill allows players and DMs alike options to tweak their checks as needed.  For instance, players might want to Intimidate with their physical prowess: normally it would require a magical item to do so, but with this system it is simply the use of a Strength check, with bonuses from their Intimidate modifiers.  Another example would be the use of Arcana instead of Diplomacy: In this system you actually get three choices: Intelligence checks with the Diplomacy keyword (perhaps using your stocked knowledge to provide key diplomatic terms), Charisma checks with the Arcana keyword (magically influencing your words), and Intelligence checks with the Arcana keyword (casting a spell that influences the creatures' minds).

• Swift Actions are actions that can be used only once per turn.  This replaces most non-standard, non-move actions found in the original system, so that players now only need to worry about three things: Move, Swift, Standard.

• Roles provide the core guidelines on how your character would contribute to combat in particular.  Because of the ability check-centric nature of this system, and the lack of classes, there is an intent on giving freedom to roleplay for players and DMs alike, encouraging the use of situational bonuses or even auto-successes for situations most appropriate for a PC's background.

• While the term might be odd in this system, Classes are defined in this system as a collection of features and roles, pre-packaged to evoke a specific feel.

• Levels in this system are used to track the progress of the characters and the group as a whole, as well as represent how strong one creature is relative to other creatures.  Regardless if you use the feat subsystem (or even if you discard the roles completely), character progression is still as follows:

• Level 1 : Character creation, including acquisition of two at-will attack powers, one encounter attack power, and one daily attack power

• Level 2 : One utility power

• Level 3 : One encounter attack power

• Level 4 : Raise two stats by 1

• Level 5 : One daily attack power

• Level 6 : One utility power

• Level 7 : One encounter power

• Level 8 : Raise two stats by 1

• Level 9 : One daily attack power

• Level 10 : One utility power

• Level 11 : One encounter attack power, raise all stats by 1

• Level 12 : One utility power

• Level 13 : Replace one encounter attack power

• Level 14 : Raise two stats by 1

• Level 15 : Replace one daily attack power

• Level 16 : One utility power

• Level 17 : Replace one encounter attack power

• Level 18 : Raise two stats by 1

• Level 19 : Replace one daily attack power

• Level 20 : One daily attack power

• Level 21 : Replace one encounter attack power, raise all stats by 1

• Level 22 : One utility power

• Level 23 : Replace one encounter attack power

• Level 24 : Raise two stats by 1

• Level 25 : Replace one daily attack power

• Level 26 : One utility power

• Level 27 : Replace one encounter attack power

• Level 28 : Raise two stats by 1

• Level 29 : Replace one daily attack power

• Level 30 : none.

For those who may be wondering why level 30 is a "dead level" of sorts, it is because this is effectively the end of your character's journey, sipping with gods, having the universe and parallel planes of existence within the palm of your hands.  At this point, you're so powerful that it doesn't really matter if you have a level 30 feature or not

This is the skeletal framework of D&D 4E from levels 1-30, with additional niceties depending on feats, features, paragon paths and epic destinies [and I believe the reason why Demigod's level 30 feature didn't really matter in the developer's eyes at first is because even if it was "broken", there's no further character progress anyway, so with the campaign coming to a close, might as well let the players go crazy for the few hours they'd be using it... although reigning it in was perfectly sensible, given how out-of-line it was relative to other epic destinies ].

Feats in this system are acquired at the same levels as original 4E, except in this instance, feats are no longer mechanical fixes to the system's math, but instead are tweaks that allow you to modify your character as you go along; in other words, the 4E class features would be "baked" into feats, which you could take and tweak as you so desire.  In relation to classes, using classes with feats would be offering players highly recommended feats to give the basic "feel" of that class, while allowing more "do-it-yourself" players to establish their own character development path. 
Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
II. Character Creation
This section is divided into three portions: Races, Roles, and Powers.  The system assumes that PCs will progress at the same rate, much like how 4E currently works.

Races define your "genetic" lineage, or bloodline.  Thus, all features presented in this section pertain to the benefits your character has from simply being one of that specific race.

Roles define your character's functionality within a group.  There are four roles, as first established in 4E:

• Defender - your character focuses on protecting allies, even at your own peril.  Your abilities are naturally geared towards allowing you to take hits, keep enemies off your friends' backs, and taking vengeance on those who threaten your allies.

• Leader - your character focuses on enhancing allies, leading the group to victory.  Your abilities are naturally geared towards increasing your allies' capabilities, sometimes to the point where you grant allies attacks in your stead, or moving them to favorable positions.

• Controller - your character has a tool for every situation, manipulating and controlling the scenario to the best of the group's advantage.  Your abilities are naturally geared towards weakening and repositioning enemies, among other, more utilitarian efforts.

• Striker - your character focuses on taking the big baddie down.  Your abilities are naturally geared towards neutralizing single-target threats.

Unlike 4E however, instead of choosing a class with given roles, you instead choose up to two roles during character creation.  Optional, alternative systems could be used to change this later on, but roles would be the core feature of the system.

Powers are abilities that your character develops throughout his lifetime.  These powers are modified by two things: a character's role (or roles), and optionally, feats.  There are basically two types of powers: attack powers, and utility powers.  In the broadest of sense, attack powers are powers that intend to harm others, while utility powers are powers that aim to help others.

- - - - -
When creating a character, use the following steps, instead of how it is normally done in 4E:

1. Choose a race

• This will help you customize your character's racial benefits

• Determine your ability score (22 point-buy, array selection, or rolled ability scores)

• This will help you determine your Primary Ability (the highest ability score you have), and the Primary Ability modifier (which is Primary Ability Score/2 - 5, rounded down).  Your primary ability modifier mainly affects how damaging your attacks can be, although other situations may call for your primary ability modifier as well.

• Determine your hit points (HP)

• Hit points are determined in this manner: 7 + Constitution Score + Level * 5

• Determine your daily healing surges

• Maximum healing surges per day are determined in this manner: 7 + Constitution Modifier

• Determine your defenses

• Armor Class: 9 + Level + Modifiers.  If you chose to wear Light Armor or no armor, add the higher of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier.

• Fortitude: 9 + Level + Modifiers + the higher of your Strength or Fortitude modifier

• Reflex: 9 + Level + Modifiers + the higher of your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier

• Will: 9 + Level + Modifiers + the higher of your Wisdom or Charisma modifier

• Determine your speed

• For most races, this is a speed of 6 squares, or 30 feet

• Determine your initiative modifier

• Initiative modifier = Your level + Dexterity modifier + additional modifiers

• Determine your attack bonus

• Accuracy = 4 + Level + situational modifiers, like Weapon Proficiency for attacks with the Weapon keyword

• Primary role

• Primary roles grant you an additional power or feature

• Secondary role

• Secondary roles modify your powers and features

• Elemental Affinity

• Whenever you make attacks with the Implement keyword, you can change the damage type of the power to one of the elements you have chosen as your Elemental Affinity.

• Choose two elements as your Elemental Affinity from the following list: Acid, Cold, Fire, Force, Lightning, Necrotic, Poison, Psychic, Radiant, Thunder

• Equipment

• At character creation, you get 100gp -- an abstraction of your life's earnings before you began adventuring -- as well as regular cloth armor (regular clothing).  Feel free to spend it as you wish, but in this system there are a few changes you may wish to take note of:

• Weapons: you can have one, two, or even a dozen various weapons, all described in any way you want.  Regardless, these are the stats of each weapon, and their cost:

• Unarmed/Improvised Attacks (Range 3/6 if ranged)

• Swift: +3 to hit, 1d4 damage [0 gp]

• Powerful: +2 to hit, 1d8 damage [0 gp]

• Light Weapons (Range 5/10 if ranged)

• One-Handed: +3 to hit, 1d8 damage [5 gp]

• Two-Handed: +2 to hit, 1d12 damage [15 gp]

• Heavy Weapons (Range 15/30 if ranged)

• One-Handed: +2 to hit, 1d10 damage [20 gp]

• Two-Handed: +2 to hit, 2d8 damage [30 gp]

• Armor

• Light: +3 Armor Bonus to AC [25 gp]

• Heavy: +7 Armor Bonus to AC [45 gp]

• Shield: +1 Shield Bonus to AC and Reflex [5 gp]

• Note that magical items have no effect on defenses and accuracy, unless specified

Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    Hey, great stuff - very interested to see where you're heading with this!  As someone who's involved with a similar effort, all ideas at how D&D could be played differently are on my radar.

Keep creating!
    -Jeremy www.dnd-next.com Happy gaming!
    Thanks Jeremy! in the meantime, I'll continue posting all the details as mentioned in the Table of Contents, if that's alright with you

A. Races
    From lack of development time and resources, choosing a race from any player-available resource would be implemented, although note beforehand that the mechanical benefits of any race is far more restricted here than even in original 4E: as ability scores would have a far weaker impact in combat (and far greater impact outside of combat) due to the decoupling of ability scores -- and almost everything else -- from attack rolls, there would be little need to focus on character-based combat optimization, and more focus on team combat optimization and storytelling.

[ Hitting in combat is usually a culmination of skill and luck, and it's up to the group and d20 to show how that culmination came about.  A strong fighter might smash his weapon through an enemy's armor, while a nimble fighter could be slicing through the gaps of his opponent's armor, and a smart fighter could be using the skills he learned in fencing class, whereas a wise warrior could time his attacks right, and a cunning warrior would use bluffs and feints to leave the enemy open to attack [mechanically STR/CON, DEX, INT, WIS, CHA fighters, all hitting the target].  With this in mind, and given how only the people who blatantly ignore combat anyway would avoid increasing their primary stat, why bother with complicating the math? Less bookkeeping, more storytelling if you ask me ]

This will serve as a placeholder for races and racial features that would be different from how the classic 4E presented them.  In the meantime, here's how it works:

The first time you create a character, one of the most important decisions would be your character's background, which is a mix of bloodline, history, and tendencies, among other bits.

With regards to race, each race has a particular set of features, culture, and even common names.  Choosing a race provides you with certain mechanical benefits, but are generally restricted in this manner:

• Average height and weight.  This is primarily arbitrary (read: Fluff), although in certain instances like jumping to reach a dangling rope, this might actually come into play.

• +2 for to up to two stats, typically one stat that is common among all creatures of that race, while the other stat can vary between creatures of the same race.  For instance, dwarves are naturally tough, but not all dwarves are naturally drawn to the hammering of a forge or a battlefield.  Hence, the common stat is Constitution, whereas the variable stat is either Strength, or Wisdom (for the more spiritually-inclined worshippers of Moradin).

• Races that have no common stat -- currently only Humans have this drawback -- can instead gain a +1 racial bonus to all non-AC defenses.

• All races are medium unless specified.

• All races are speed 6 (can travel up to 6 squares / 30 feet) unless specified.

• All races know Common and one other language -- usually the language that is unique to their race -- unless specified.

• For those utilizing the skill system, all races are skilled in up two skills, granting a +2 racial bonus to those skills

• All races have two unique racial features

• All races have one racial utility encounter power

Note that within a race can be found variations in their genes, also known as subraces.  These variations allow certain characters to have uniquely distinct features that vary even between those of the same race.  Regardless of subrace, however, these are the only racial elements that change with subraces:

• The non-Common language.  While on the character sheet the character speaks the same language as any other of their race -- for instance, Wood Elves, Grey Elves and Dark Elves all speak Elven --  in game there is likely a dialect difference within each subrace, so the DM might make Charisma checks and Wisdom checks more difficult to succeed when dealing with NPCs of a different subrace than the PCs, and easier when dealing with NPCs of the same subrace as that of the PCs.  This is an optional, mostly fluff-based difference however.

• The skill bonuses.  For instance, Wood Elves would be skilled in Nature, Grey Elves would be skilled in magic (Arcana), and Dark Elves would be skilled in Dungeoneering.

• The unique racial features.  Again with the elves as an example, Wood Elves would be skilled with bows, Grey Elves would be skilled with swords, and Dark Elves would have darkvision.

• The racial utility encounter power.  Again with elves, Wood Elves have Elven Accuracy, Grey Elves would have Fey Step, and Dark Elves could choose Cloud of Darkness.

B. Roles
    Regardless if you accept it or not, D&D has always had roles for each player to bring to the table: be it "meatshield, healer, skill monkey, wizard" or "defender, leader, controller, striker", they've always been there from antiquity.  4E simply clarified these roles and made their contributions more equally distributed.  This system aims to bring it down to the basics and expand on that, by allowing players to create their own characters based on what they can do to help allies in need.

These roles also affect how you can utilize your powers.  Whenever you use a power, you can choose to have additional benefits, based on your role (or roles).

If your DM has removed the use of roles, don't worry: most of those powers work even without any roles in mind, although that means that you may have far less interesting options at hand, in which case you might have to make your own options

If your DM utilizes the feat system, it is completely possible that a feat will allow you to change at least the secondary role of your character, or even the primary role.  In these cases, please refer to the Optional System: Feats for more details.

Here are the initial benefits for each role:

Defender: You gain the Defender's Aura and Foe's Folly powers
    Controller: You gain the Control Zone power
    Striker: You gain the Deadly Strike power
    Leader: You gain the Life-Giving Word power

Special: While it is possible that your primary role is the same as your secondary role, the fact that most of your powers work best with two different roles means that you have much less variety and are likely less able to compete with dual role characters in the long run.  To lessen the gap between single-role and the dual-role characters, if your character's primary and secondary role are the same -- for example, Defender primary, Defender secondary -- you gain the Role Master power during character creation.

C. Powers
    D&D 4E introduced a feature format that were unpopular for some people called "powers", with opponents citing how it makes everyone just the same, how it's restrictive, and how it prevents players from being innovative and therefore un-fun.  However, the power block format is a simple and elegant, albeit fluff-bare, method of printing features -- arcane spells, masterful parries, sweeping blows, divine prayers, etc. -- in a manner that's easy to understand and resolve, so this is another feature of D&D that I believe would stay as a core concept, if only to help players identify which is what within the system, like how often can you use a feature, or if a feature came from an item or from your class' power list.

This list aims to be as simple, yet thorough as possible, but it can't be helped if the list is far from exhaustive, since there is no real way to cover everything that a character can do, with or without powers as a guideline.  Regardless, in the spirit of the game, these powers aim to let you play combat in a much more dynamic and tactical method, while minimizing slowdowns that would be introduced by the added complexity.

Take note that these powers list only the base effects -- effects that would likely happen regardless of story or situation.  However, players are allowed and encouraged to use these powers in ways that are not written in the books (for example,using a fireball spell to set a building aflame).  In such cases, it is up to the DM to determine if the attempt is even possible, as well as the actual effects of such improvised actions.

For simplicity's sake, this portion is divided according to the following groups of powers: racial and role utility powers, basic attacks and attack powers, utility powers that have levels, and universal utility powers that all characters can use [the last one being a reintroduction of specialized skill checks as powers].

Racial and Role Utility Powers

Defender's AuraDefender Utility
    Whether it be through a magical aura or a combination of fighting skill and clever tactics, you work to occupy nearby foes to keep them distracted.
    At-Will Aura
    Swift Action - Personal
    Effect: You activate an aura 1 that lasts until you end it as a swift action or until you fall unconscious. While in the aura, any enemy takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls when it makes an attack that does not include among its targets either you or an ally of yours who has this aura active. Marked enemies are not subject to this aura.

Foe's FollyDefender Attack
    Ignoring you in battle leaves a foe open to a devastating assault.
    At-Will
    Triggered Action - Close Burst 5
    Target: One enemy marked by you or subject to your Defender's Aura.
    Trigger
    : The target makes an attack that targets an ally of yours but not you or an ally who has an active Defender's Aura, or leaves a square adjacent to you without teleporting.
    Effect: Apply one of the following effects, based only on your secondary role:

• Leader:  One ally within 5 squares of you that is nearest to the triggering enemy gains temporary hit points equal to your primary ability modifier as a swift action.

• Controller: You can slide the triggering enemy one square to a square adjacent to you as a swift action.  The enemy's movement ends, but the enemy can still use other actions that allow hiim to move, such as a standard action.

• Striker: You deal damage to the target equal to your primary ability modifier as a swift action.

• Defender: You can take half of the damage one ally adjacent to you would receive from the triggering attack as a swift action.  If you do so, the ally takes half damage instead.

Special: You can only use this power once per round outside your turn.

Deadly StrikeStriker Attack
    A feint, a bluff, a flash of light.  Everything is a blur to the dying foe at your feet.
    At-Will
    Triggered Action - Personal
    Trigger:You hit with an attack against an enemy.
    Effect: The target takes 1d6 extra damage.  This damage increases to 2d6 at level 11, and 3d6 at level 21.  In addition, the attack gains an additional benefit based on your secondary role:

• Leader: The next ally who hits the target gains temporary hit points equal to your primary modifier.

• Defender: The target is marked by you until the end of your next turn.

• Controller: You can slide the target 1 square.

• Striker: You can move 1 square as a swift action before the end of your turn.  If you end this movement in concealment or cover, as a triggered action you can make a Dexterity or Stealth check to become hidden.

Special: You can only use this power once per turn.  However, using this does not count toward the normal restriction on Triggered Actions.

Control ZoneController Attack
    Enemies become confused or afraid at what you may do next.
    Encounter (Special) Zone
    Swift Action - Area Burst 1 within 10
    Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn.  The effect of this zone depends on your secondary role:

• Leader: Allies gain combat advantage against enemies in the zone.

• Defender: Enemies take a -2 to attack rolls while in the zone.

• Striker: Enemies who start their turn in the zone take damage equal to your primary ability modifier.

• Controller: Creatures that start their turn in or adjacent to the zone are slowed until the end of their turn.

Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round during your turn. At level 15, you can use this power an additional time per encounter.

Life-Giving WordLeader Utility
    Your words of encouragement help your allies push on, against all odds.
    Encounter (Special) Healing
    Swift Action - Close Burst 5 (10 at level 15, 15 at level 25)
    Target:You or one ally in the burst
    Effect: The target spends a healing surge, and has an additional effect based on your secondary role:

• Defender: The target gains temporary hit points equal to your primary ability modifier + level.

• Striker: The target has combat advantage for his next attack roll before the end of his next turn.

• Controller: Slide an enemy in the burst 3 squares.

• Leader: The target regains additional hit points equal to your primary ability modifier, and another ally in the burst other than the target regains 1d6 hit points.  Increase the hit points regained by the other ally to 2d6 at level 6, 3d6 at level 11, 4d6 at level 16, 5d6 at level 21, and 6d6 at level 26.

Special: You can use this power twice per encounter, but only once per round during your turn. At level 15, you can use this power an additional time per encounter.

Role MasterRole Utility
    Your skill in a specific style is unmatched.
    Encounter
    Triggered Action - Special
    Target:You use an encounter or daily attack power.
    Effect: After the triggering power has resolved, you gain one of the following benefits, depending on your role:

• Leader: As a swift action, one ally (level 11: one or two allies, level 21: each ally) within 5 squares of you can make a basic attack as a swift action.

• Defender: Choose one enemy affected by the triggering power.  That enemy is weakened until the start of your next turn.

• Controller: Each creature hit by the triggering power takes a -2 penalty to defenses and saving throws until the end of their next turn.

• Striker: If one target of the triggering power is reduced to 10 hit points (20 hit points at level 11, 30 hit points at level 21), reduce that target to 0 hit points instead.

Basic Attacks and Attack Powers

Basic AttackUniversal Attack
    You slash, hack, stab or shoot at an opponent.
    At-Will Weapon
    Standard Action - Melee or Ranged Weapon
    Target:One creature
    Attack:Level + 4 + Proficiency vs. AC
    Hit: 1[W] + Primary ability modifier damage.

Level 1 At-Will Attack

Mana ShockAttack 1
    You concentrate your energies and strike at your opponent with a forceful blow.
    At-Will Implement
    Standard Action - Melee Touch or Ranged 10
    Attack:Level + 4 vs. Reflex
    Hit: 1d6 + Primary ability modifier damage, and you push the target 1 square.
    Level 11: 2d6 + Primary ability modifier damage, and you push the target 2 squares.
    Special: This power counts as a basic attack.

Harrying AssaultAttack 1
    You repeatedly strike at an opponent, hampering his movement.
    At-Will
    Trigger:You hit with a basic attack during your turn.
    Target:The creature you hit with the triggering attack.
    Effect: Your basic attack gains one of the following benefits, based on your primary or secondary roles, but not both.

• Leader: The first ally who attacks the target  before the start of your next turn gains a +1 power bonus to their next attack roll.

• Controller: The target grants combat advantage to the next attack against it.

• Defender: The target takes a -2 penalty to its next attack roll before the start of your next turn.

• Striker: The target takes extra damage equal to your Primary ability modifier.

Cleaving StrikeAttack 1
    You swing your weapon in a wide arc.
    At-Will
    Target:The creature you hit with the triggering attack.
    Effect: Your basic attack gains one of the following benefits, based on your primary or secondary roles, but not both.

• Leader: One ally adjacent to you or the target can move 2 squares as a swift action.

• Controller:You can push each creature adjacent to you or the target 1 square.

• Defender:  The target and one creature adjacent to you or the target are marked until the end of your next turn.

• Striker: One creature adjacent to you or the target takes extra damage equal to your primary ability modifier.

Magical BurstAttack 1
    A silvery projectile is launched from your hand, and detonates on impact.
    At-Will Implement
    Standard Action - Ranged 10
    Hit: 1d8 damage. In addition, the power has one of the following benefits, based on your primary or secondary roles, but not both.

• Leader: One ally adjacent to the target either gains temporary hit points equal to your Primary ability modifier or makes a saving throw as a swift action.

• Controller: You can slide the target and each creature adjacent to it 1 square and knock them prone.

• Defender: The target and each adjacent enemy is marked until the end of your next turn.

• Striker: The target and each creature adjacent to it takes extra damage equal to your Primary ability modifier.

Level 21: 2d8 damage.

SpellbladeAttack 1
    Magical energy dances on your blade, with each strike exploding into a fantastic array of elemental fury.
    At-Will Implement
    Triggered Action - Close Burst 10
    Target:One creature in burst other than the target of the triggering attack
    Trigger:You hit with a basic attack
    Effect: The triggering attack deals the same damage type as the Elemental Affinity you chose for this power.  In addition, the target gains one of the following effects, based on your primary or secondary role, but not both:

• LeaderIf the target is an ally, he can make a saving throw as a swift action.

• Controller: You can slide the target three squares.

• Defender: The target takes a penalty to its next damage roll equal to your primary ability modifier.

• Striker: The target takes damage equal to your primary ability modifier.  Increase the damage by 2 at level 11, and by 4 at level 21.

Encounter

Level 1

Pummeling CrashAttack 1
    Your powerful strike causes your foe to stagger a bit.
    Encounter
    Target:The target of the triggering attack.
    Effect: The attack deals 1[W] extra damage, and you can push the target up to 1 square. In addition, the power has two of the following benefits, based on your primary and secondary roles.

• Leader: One or two allies can make a basic attack against it as a swift action.

• Controller: The target is knocked prone and slowed until the end of its next turn.

• Defender: If the target makes an attack against an ally that does not include you before the end of your next turn, as a triggered action you can shift up to 2 squares to a square adjacent to the target and make a melee basic attack against it.

• Striker: You can move your speed as a swift action.  If you end your turn adjacent to an enemy, you have combat advantage for your next attack against that enemy before the end of your next turn.

Level 11: The triggering attack instead deals 2[W] extra damage.
    Level 21: The triggering attack instead deals 3[W] extra damage.

Magical PillarAttack 1
    A huge pillar of magic erupts from underneath your enemies.
    Encounter Implement
    Standard Action - Area Burst 1 within 10
    Target:Each creature in the burst
    Hit: 1d6 + Primary modifier damage, and each target is pushed 3 squares. You gain two additional benefits based on your primary and secondary roles:

• Leader: Each ally in the burst regains hit points equal to your Primary ability modifier. If an ally is still bloodied after regaining his or her hit points, as a swift action they can spend a healing surge to gain temporary hit points equal to their healing surge value, instead of regaining hit points.

• Controller: Each enemy in the burst is blinded until the end of your next turn.

• Defender: Enemies you hit with this power deal half damage to your allies with their next attack before the end of your next turn.

• Striker: One creature in the burst takes an additional 1d6 extra damage, even on a miss.

Level 11: 2d6 + Primary modifier damage
    Level 21: 3d6 + Primary modifier damage

Spectral SummonAttack 1
    An image of a fiery knight appears and proceeds to assault your foes.
    Encounter Implement, Illusion, Conjuration
    Standard Action - Ranged 5
    Effect: You conjure a medium or smaller creature of your choice in an unoccupied square within range. This creature occupies that square, blocks enemy movement but allows allies to move through it, and lasts until the end of your next turn, or until you dismiss it as a swift action.  You can move the creature 5 squares as a move action. Additional abilities of the creature are based on your primary and secondary roles:

• Leader:  As a swift action this turn, each ally within two squares of the creature can make a saving throw.

• Controller: Each enemy that start their turn adjacent to the conjuration is slowed until the end of its turn.

• Defender: If an enemy adjacent to the conjuration makes an attack and does not include you or an ally with an active defender aura as a target, as a triggered action you can push the enemy 1 square and knock it prone.

• Striker: Once before the end of your next turn, as a swift action outside your turn you can make a basic attack against the target, using the creature's square as the attack's point of origin.

Level 3

Greater CleaveAttack 3
    Like a sickle to wheat, you fell many foes in one great sweep
    Encounter Weapon, Fear
    Standard Action - Close Burst 1
    Target:Each enemy in burst.
    Attack:Charisma or Strength vs. Will (+5 if the target is unfriendly, +10 if the target is hostile)
    Effect: Make a melee basic attack against each target in the burst.  In addition, you gain the benefits of two of the following effects below, depending on both your primary and secondary role:

• Leader: Each ally in the burst can move 1 square as a swift action.

• Controller: The target is pushed up to 2 square and knocked prone.

• Striker: The target takes ongoing 2 damage (save ends).  Increase the ongoing damage to 4 at level 11, and 6 at level 21.

• Defender: Each target and each enemy adjacent to it is marked until the end of your next turn.

Daily

Level 1

Adrenaline RushAttack 1
    You instantly become filled with the rush of battle.
    Daily Implement
    Triggered Action - Personal
    Trigger:You become bloodied.
    Attack:You can instead activate this as a swift action during your turn.
    Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you benefit from two of these effects, based on your primary and secondary role:

• Leader:  Each ally within 2 squares of you gain a +2 power bonus to saving throws.

• Controller:  Each enemy adjacent to the target of your basic attacks take damage equal to your Primary Ability modifier.

• Defender: You gain temporary hit points equal to your primary ability modifier at the end of each of your turns.

• Striker: You gain a +1 power bonus to attack rolls.

Magic StormAttack 1
    The battle is enveloped in a blanket of magical destruction.
    Daily Fear, Implement
    Standard Action - Area Burst 1 within 20
    Effect: The burst creates a zone that lasts until the end of your next turn.  As a move action you can move the zone 6 squares. The zone has two effects, based on your primary and secondary roles:

• Leader:  Allies that start their turn in the zone gain resistance to all damage equal to your primary ability modifier until the end of their turn.

• Controller:  Enemies that start their turn in the zone are knocked prone.

• Defender: Enemies in the zone that make an attack against an ally that does not include you or an ally with an active defender aura as a target take damage equal to 3 + your primary ability modifier as a swift action once per round.  This damage increases to 6 + your primary ability modifier at level 11, and 9 + your primary ability modifier at level 21.

• Striker: Your attacks deal 1d6 extra damage against enemies in the zone.

Sustain Swift: The zone persists until the end of your next turn.

Universal Utilities

Hiding DistractionUniversal Utility
    You create a diversion to hide from your enemies.
    At-Will (Special) Bluff
    Standard Action - Close Burst Sight
    Target:Each enemy that can see or hear you
    Attack:Charisma vs. Wisdom or Insight +10
    Hit: You have superior concealment against the target, and can use the Evading Maneuver power against the target as a triggered action.
    Special: You cannot use this more than once per encounter on the same creature.

Evading ManeuverUniversal Utility
    You become quiet and stealthy.
    At-Will Stealth
    Triggered Action - Close Burst Sight
    Target:Each creature you have superior cover or concealment against.
    Attack:Dexterity vs. Wisdom or Perception +10
    Hit: You are Hidden from the target, meaning you are Invisible and Silent against the target.
    Miss:  If you were previously Hidden from the target, the Hidden condition against the target ends.
    Special: If you moved more than two squares, repeat the check at a -5 penalty.  If your movement involves running, increase the penalty to -10.
    Special: This power can be used at the end of a move action, or at the end of any movement that is part of another action.

Monster LoreUniversal Utility
    You try to recall the strengths and weaknesses of your foe.
    At-Will Varies
    Swift Action - Close Burst Sight
    Target:One creature in burst
    Attack:Dexterity vs. Wisdom or Perception +10
    Effect:  If the target is Aberrant or Natural in origin, make a Wisdom check.  Otherwise, make an Intelligence check.  Use the following DC table, instead of the regular DC table:
    Target DC - Type of information learned
    15 - Name, Type, Keywords
    20 - Powers
    25 - Resistances and Vulnerabilities
    +5 if the target is of paragon tier, +10 instead if the target is of epic tier.
    Special: Use the following table to determine the power's keyword
    Keyword - Target Origin
    Arcana - Elemental, Fey, Shadow
    Dungeoneering - Aberrant
    Nature - Natural
    Religion - Undead

Ferocious IntimidationUniversal Utility
    You cause your foes to cower in fear and obey your next command.
    At-Will (Special) Intimidate
    Swift Action - Close Burst Sight
    Target:At least one creature who can see or hear you.
    Attack:Charisma or Strength vs. Will (+5 if the target is unfriendly, +10 if the target is hostile)
    Hit: The target takes one of the following actions:

• Reveal information

• Surrender (must be bloodied)

• Any action that you determine, if it is possible to do so.

Special: During combat, you cannot use this power against the same creature more than once per encounter, and creatures immune to the Fear keyword cannot be affected by this power.
    Special: After the power is resolved, the target becomes hostile towards you.

Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    III. Actions Available
    4E saw the advent of a myriad of actions.  To be honest, I felt overwhelmed by the number of options served to me by the game.  This system reigns it in a bit, and lessens the need for higher System Mastery, by reducing actions to the following:

Standard Action - virtually all combat spells and attacks would take a Standard Action.  Standard Actions can also be used to take a Move or Swift Action instead.

Swift Action - Swift Actions are actions you can take once per turn, unless specified by the powers or features that use it.

Triggered Action - Triggered Actions are actions you can take once per triggering event, seen in the "Trigger" portion of the line.  The triggering event must be resolved before the Triggered Action is resolved.

Special: Swift Actions granted by Triggered Actions are resolved as part of the Triggered Actions.

Move Action - This action is reserved primarily for moving your character up to the number of squares/feet allowed to your character.

These will serve as the basic actions available, although the DM is free to alter or remove the restrictions placed on each action type as needed.  Most of the time, only three actions are available to you during your turn:

Standard Action
    Move Action
    Swift Action

While outside your turn, there is only one action available to you: Swift Action.

[ Notice the absence of opportunity actions: this is in part to speed up and simplify gameplay, but also because 4E has introduced so many anti-opportunity action options (including multiple square shifts, teleports, etc.), might as well just remove it and merge it into the Swift Action. ]

Triggered Actions can happen any time -- even during times you normally cannot take actions -- but the only control you have over it is if you'll use the ability or not, not when the ability would happen.  The basic idea is that if the triggering event does not occur -- for instance, you want to use an attack power that triggers when you hit an enemy with your basic attack, but missed with your basic attack -- then you cannot use the given power.

[ This technically removes the Reliable keyword and merges it into basically every weapon power. ]
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    IV. Using Original 4E Options
    4E has a significantly higher number of actions available to players than in this system.  Most notably, 4E originally has the following types of actions:

Minor Action
    Move Action
    Standard Action
    Immediate Reaction
    Immediate Interrupt
    Opportunity Action
    Free Action
    No Action

For this system to allow the use of 4E options, a conversion system has to be established.  Use this as a guide:

Swift Actions that can only be used during your turn
    - Minor Action
    - Free Action (if the Free Action power does not have a "Trigger" line)
    - No Action (if the No Action power does not have a "Trigger" line)

Triggered Actions
    - No Action
    - Immediate Reaction
    - Immediate Interrupt
    - Opportunity Action
    - Free Action (if the Free Action power has a "Trigger" line)
    - No Action (if the No Action power has a "Trigger" line)

Move Action
    Move Action

Standard Action
    Standard Action

Take note that just because you had more actions in the original 4E, doesn't mean that those actions translate to this subsystem with no changes whatsoever: Opportunity Actions and Immediate Actions no longer stack even though they key off the same trigger (once per triggering action only), Free Actions and No Actions no longer are loose in terms of usage and no longer work alongside Minor Actions (unless specified), etc. 
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    This space is reserved for V. Optional Systems
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    Maybe one more JUST in case  
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    Alright, last reserve, have at it!
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    Yay!

I'm so happy you decided to put this online ^^

II. Character Creation
    a) What about blasters, those AoE strikers? Will they be a "feat" of some sorts? I just saw how you noted strikers to be single-target only.
    b) You forgot to add Paragon Path at level 11, and Epic Destiniy at level 21 in your "Level Progression" bit
    c) The "9" in defenses and lack of a heavy shield, is this due to the "+ level" bonus that replaces the normal 1/2 level bonus? 

A Races
    ...Humans already do have a +1 to NADs... am I misunderstanding something?

III. Actions Available.
    This could be reworded a bit, but other than that you're good. Things got a bit cloggy around the "Triggered Action bit", but this is all very well done.
    I love it that we (again, accidentally) made every encounter power "reliable", except for most implement powers, that is. But then again, spells can be expended, weapon hits can't.
    The "Action Pyramid" from Standard to Move to Swift needs some clarification, as well what as the definition of Swift Action (for both 4e players and "new" players).

Can't wait to see more! 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
    Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
    More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
    Yay!

I'm so happy you decided to put this online ^^

II. Character Creation
    a) What about blasters, those AoE strikers? Will they be a "feat" of some sorts? I just saw how you noted strikers to be single-target only.

Yes.  The feat would change Sneaky Surprise, removing the combat advantage requirement, reducing the damage to primary ability modifier (+2 at paragon, +4 at epic), but allowing it to be applied to implement or weapon attacks (if not both).

b) You forgot to add Paragon Path at level 11, and Epic Destiniy at level 21 in your "Level Progression" bit

I'd like to emphasize the fact that they have always been optional features since day 1 of D&D, and that it is up to the DM's discretion if he would allow players to take Paragon Paths or not (that said, it's highly recommended that they allow it ;) ).  The Level Progression determines the absolute basics of the character's development, regardless of class -- or lack thereof -- even if they took Paragon Multiclassing or Paragon Hybrid as their choice of development.

For me, paragon paths are just like classes: a package of features that provide a unique feel for a character

c) The "9" in defenses and lack of a heavy shield, is this due to the "+ level" bonus that replaces the normal 1/2 level bonus?

Yes.

A Races
    ...Humans already do have a +1 to NADs... am I misunderstanding something?

I merely established the template for all races, as well as their subraces.  Humans lack a common stat, so to make up for it they have the +1 to NADs, correct?  I had to clarify that in case anyone asks "Why do humans get +1 to NADs? And why do they only have one +2 to a stat?" 

III. Actions Available.
    This could be reworded a bit, but other than that you're good. Things got a bit cloggy around the "Triggered Action bit", but this is all very well done.
    I love it that we (again, accidentally) made every encounter power "reliable", except for most implement powers, that is. But then again, spells can be expended, weapon hits can't.
    The "Action Pyramid" from Standard to Move to Swift needs some clarification, as well what as the definition of Swift Action (for both 4e players and "new" players).

Can't wait to see more! 

Fair enough Triggered Actions are rather dodgy, I'll need help fixing that portion, although I thought I got to fix the definitions already (must fix them again *sigh*).

Time to raid the pantry and all...
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    You're doing great, good luck and have fun! :D

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
    Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
    More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
    This looks pretty nice, but Stalwart defender is unncessary. It should just go into foe's folly as the 'defender secondary' option, just like all the other role powers.
    This looks pretty nice, but Stalwart defender is unncessary. It should just go into be replaced with a punishing attack in foe's folly as the 'defender secondary' option, just like all the other role powers.

Stepping in to take an attack for an ally is ok every once in a while, but if i'm playing a tank/meatshield/etc, I wanna hammer people for messin' with me and my friends.  Perhaps it could be an option; Stalwart Defender for the selfless brave knightly types, and a Punishing Strike for the ones with a mean streak.  I suppose the standard Marking system could also work, right?

Either way, you've done a fantastic job Chaosfang.  Your work got me started trying to deconstruct and rearrange the game a bit. 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Thanks guys!

I decided that ohgoditburns has a point, and merged Stalwart Defender into Foe's Folly (with surprising ease, I might add).  Also, reflecting upon mattador666's suggestion, it would be interesting as a striker option to give Foe's Folly an more aggressive edge...

... although I think I'll reserve that for feats.  I'm considering the following feats:

Striker's Challenge
    Requirement: Foe's Folly, Striker secondary
    Benefit: Before the triggering enemy of Foe's Folly completely resolves its attack, you can make a melee basic attack as a swift action.

Leader's Challenge
    Requirement: Foe's Folly, Leader secondary
    Benefit: Foe's Folly gains the Implement keyword, and after the triggering event is completely resolved, the triggering enemy takes 3 damage.  Increase this damage to 6 at level 11, and to 9 at level 21.

Defender's Counterstrike
    Requirement: Foe's Folly, Defender secondary
    Benefit: If the triggering attack hits you, after the triggering attack is resolved, the triggering enemy takes damage equal to the amount of damage you take.

Defender's Durability
    Requirement: Foe's Folly, Defender secondary
    Benefit: If the triggering attack hits you, you take half damage.

Controller's Challenge
    Requirement: Foe's Folly, Controller secondary
    Benefit: The triggering enemy is slowed until the start of your next turn.

- - - - -
    I had to clarify the timing of Defender's Counterstrike and Defender's Durability, so that if you take both feats, you take half damage then the target takes whatever damage you took (and not return all the damage before halving it). 
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    I like those.  Maybe a Striker secondary one with some mobility in it?  Instead of damage, shift a square or something.  I think the Figher has something like that, actually.

I like those.  Maybe a Striker secondary one with some mobility in it?  Instead of damage, shift a square or something.  I think the Figher has something like that, actually.

That would be good too, something like...

Striker's Evasion
    RequirementFoe's Folly, Striker secondary
    Benefit: After the triggering action of Foe's Folly is resolved, you can shift a number of squares equal to your primary ability modifier as a swift action, instead of dealing Foe Folly's damage to the triggering enemy.  You must end this movement in a square adjacent to the triggering enemy.
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    I love the feat system. Taking a feat now actually MEANS something, not just getting bonuses to this and that. Feats are a mean of specilization for your class.

When you've completed a feat list you should probably read over them and see which one of them should be mutually exclusive.

Cant' wait for more updates on the google document :D 

Actually, given how it would be competing with non-class feats as well, I wouldn't mind having as many as 10 feats that are class-modifying, and all of them work alongside each other The important thing is that all feats should be optional, meaning regardless if you have all or none, or even if you drop the feat system outright, the game should still work as intended

So none of that +1/tier to hit from Expertise, or +1 AC from Armor Specialization.

Actually, I'm thinking of typing in at least three optional systems:

"3.5 Multiclassing", wherein you can change your role at each level [although with very little benefit, aside from tweaking your powers' effects].  Heavier bookkeeping, but could be worthwhile.
    "Vancian Spellcasting", wherein you sacrifice your encounter and/or at-will powers to gain an additional daily attack power (and remove the restriction on number of daily attack powers you can memorize).  Unbalancing, hence it being optional.
    "Essentials Style", wherein you sacrifice your daily attack power for either an additional use of an encounter power, or an additional encounter power (kinda like how you have feats from Essentials books that let you either gain Power Strike or trade in Power Strike for a non-Essentials encounter power), as well as a wider array of at-wills.  It's unbalanced in the opposite direction as Vancian spellcasting, but some might find simpler to be better, hence it being optional.
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:

Daily/Encounter power-swapping
    I do agree that daily powers on non-magic users is a bit surreal, so allowing martial characters to swap dailies for encounter powers seems logical, but getting an extra daily doesn't sound all that appealing to me. If we (read: you) find something good for the magic users to make this exchange balanced, go ahead.

3.5-Style Multiclassing
    3.5 multiclassing had penalties, think more around the lines of Star Wars: Saga Edition. Even then I don't think its a great idea.

...What am I doing?! Whining about something that's optional? I don't have to like it to help you do it. In the end I'll just not use that option xD

Let's try this again, with a "yes" attitude. To represent this new attitude, I'll color the rest of the post in colors, depending on the subject.:

3.5-Style Multiclassing is possible, but its gonna be a pain to balance. Just make sure that each role doesn't get everything at level 1 and gain something new every level, meaning that there will be a reward and a penalty for each level you take in a different role. So you always gain something, but always sacrifice something.
    Keep Feats based on character level, not class level.

You can try putting a class level prerequisite for the riders of your powers, with the effect that multiclassing best pays of when taking one primary roles and two subroles:

Anytime you gain a level you may choose a Primary/Secondary Role combination, and gain a level in that role combination instead of your current one. This gives you access to those role's features the level equal to the amount of total class levels in each role. You character level advances but your previous class level in your first role combination stays the same and you gain one class level in the new role combination.

To gain access to a role-rider of a power you need to have class levels in that role equal to half the power's level (minimum 2), rounded down. This means when you gain a level 7 encounter power and want to access its leader rider, you'll need 3 class levels in the leader role, whether it be as a primary role or a subrole, or any combination there of. To gain access to the role rider of a level 1 at-will power you'll need 2 levels in that role. For example a Defender/Striker wants the Leader rider for his Foe's Folly. The next two times he gains a level he wants to keep progressing in his Defender advancement table, so he takes a Defender/Leader role combination instead. When he as acquired two class levels of SubLeader he can qualify for the Leader feature of Foe's Folly. However, since he did not take PrimeLeader levels he gains none of the PrimeLeader's class features.
    There is one exception to this rule. At level 1 you choose a Primary Role. This Role becomes your Fundamental Role, the role which is your homebase and which everything you know is derived from. You will always count as that role, and can use all riders of that role regardless of the level of the power in relation to how many class levels you have in that role. For example a character with the fundamental role of Controller takes a few levels in Striker/Striker. Even if his number of Striker/Striker levels exceed the number of fundamental class levels he will always be able to use the Controller rider of his Striker power, since that is his fundamental role. You can never take more Primary class levels in any class than twice the amount of levels you have in your Fundamental Role
    ...okay, by the and there I'm rambling, but you get the picture. There are 30172475783487 ways to make this more simple, complicated, balanced or unbalanced. It's gonna take a lot of discussion, but we'll get there.

This means you'll have to look at the riders again, but it should work. This is just a first draft, I trust you can improve upon it... a lot!

When looking at a wall-of-text like mine above we have to think what effect it has:
    · You should always focus on your Fundamental Role, and your Fundamental Role should always shine through.
    · It should not be optamized to take one level of each role, therefor class features should not be "free" or at least pricey
    · You take different roles for the different feats, role features, riders and thematical effect.

Vancian Spellcasting
    Is annoying if not only for the reason that we get few, very powerful, spells. It's not like we get 6 spells in a day which we can either use 1/encounter for 6 encounters or dish out in 6 subsequent rounds, we get many VERY powerful spells. I mean, 6 daily powers by level 9, all which have an effect, miss effect or the reliable keyword and usually last until the end of the encounter. I have seen what a controller's daily powers can do, and they scare me.
    But then again, seeing how WE make the dailies, this shouldn't be a problem. One thing though: players that do this might be a bit power-starved for the first 6 levels of the game, so we might need a feature to counter that. Although it just might be the price the have to pay for this wast number of powerful attacks.
    Encounter powers from Paragon Paths will still remain as encounter powers, I hope. We might want to add a section: "How to convert encounter powers into daily powers"
    1) It is a daily power but has X uses per day (perfect for utility powers, if we also want to convert them to dailies)
    2) It's damage value is increased by X and gains the "Miss: Half damage" line. If it has another effect apply one of the following changes. This changes your spell permanently, but can be retrained.
       a) Its status effect ends with a save
             aa) If its status already ends with a save the target takes a -5 penalty to the saving throw
       b) Its area of effect (if any) is increased by x
       c) The number of which the effect is based on is increased by 2
       d) The number of hit points, temporary hit points or ___________ distributed by the power is increased bySomething like that.
       e) If its effect last until the end of the encounter it now lasts until you take an extended rest, but can be ended as a free action on your turn. (again, great for utility powers)
       f) If its effects last until the end of your/your target's next turn, its duration is x extra rounds (each round counting as 6 seconds game-time)
    3) You cannot use a daily power during your first round of combat
    4) Instead of Miss: Half damage line, you can (with the help of your DM) find another effect of the power that still works on a miss. This effect must be approved by your DM. Common miss effects include: Half the effect of the hit line, such as forced movement or distributed hit points. To-hit bonuses are also effective and very team-friendly.

I wrote this without looking at a daily power, so I have no idae what's missing/what's wrong. It's just something to use as a base for when you start giving it somes serius thought. I like it how this ruleset is just as simple/complicated as you want it to be ^^

What is the maximum number of daily powers? 

...How would your feat-system handle my whimp of an half-elf who serves as his group's tank by shapeshifting into a bear?

I'm thinking that the Vancian style of play would simply go this way: all encounter attack powers (except that which is granted to you by a paragon path or theme, since they're separate [optional, but recommended] subsystems) can be used a total number of times equal to half your level (minimum 1).  So at level 3, you can choose to either cast your level 1 encounter power 2/day, or you can cast your level 1 encounter power 1/day + level 3 encounter power 1/day.

At high levels, this can potentially be game-breaking (allowing you to cast four encounter powers a total of 15 times per day), but if the group has 3 combat encounters a day, it gives only a slight edge for those who use the Vancian style of play.  At 4 combat encounters or more per day, the regular style of play would -- at least in theory -- do better on average.

That means in the Vancian style of play you have 3 daily attack powers (+1 from paragon path), 3 encounter-as-daily attack powers usable for a number of times per day equal to half your level (+1 encounter attack power from paragonpath).

* got the idea from the 4E Bladesinger ;) *

EDIT: The main advantage of the Vancian style of play is that at the right moment, you can unload ALL your encounter power attacks and shoot nothing but encounter attack powers during an encounter.  Then again, that's assuming that you can handle the remainder of the day without encounter powers ;) As it can lead to unbalanced play regardless of how you tackle it (Vancian player doing feebly until the right moment, then hoarding all the glory when that moment arrives), it is thus considered an optional [not recommended] system.

The 3.5E multiclassing option is tricky to tackle, precisely because there's so much room for the system to break.  Will have to work out the details eventually if it's to be considered, but for now I'll leave it alone.

...How would your feat-system handle my whimp of an half-elf who serves as his group's tank by shapeshifting into a bear?

That depends on how you're achieving the tanking part: if it's by sheer mass and power, I'd simply rule that you don't get to use your Strength and Constitution modifiers when making those sort of checks until you shapeshift.  If it's by intimidation factor, I'd simply rule that you don't get to use your Strength, Constitution or Charisma modifiers for Intimidate checks until you shapeshift (since you appear to be a whimp, and not at all intimidating).

As a defender mechanic though, that's where it gets tricky.  Shapeshifting hasn't formally been integrated into the system as a separate mechanic (and in some cases is technically a flavor-intersecting-with-mechanics issue [see: Druids & Beast Form powers]), so that still has to be developed.

>.<
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    Ah, I got it backwards. XD

So using this system I would get the same powers as my non-Vancian counterpart, except that I can use my encounter powers x/per day while he only gets them 1/encounter. Not bad...

What about the normal "easier spells are easier to cast" part of the system? For example, that I can take a level 1 encounter power instead of a level 7 encounter power and use it a lot more, since it's less powerful? What about 1 additional usage for each step I go down? 

I'm level 7, I can use level 7 encounter powers 3 times per day, level 3 powers 4 times per day and level 1 powers 5 times per day. How does that sound?

----

Can we do the shapeshifting part? I'd like that?

Shapeshifter
    Feat: You gain two animal forms based on any of your Prime- or SubRoles (works with 3.5 multiclassing), and the Shapeshift at-will power.
    You can only use your Role feature when in beast form (cannot use Foe's folly unless in Defender Form), but if you have a role feature and not a beast form to go along with it this limitation does not apply (if you have controller zone but not controller form, this feat has no effect and you can use your controller zone in- and out of beast form).

Defender Form (Form of the Hulking Beast): You become a slow, bulky animal of your choice. You gain some sort of a bonus related to the defender role.
    Striker Form (Form of the Cunning Feline): You becoma an agile predator. You gain some sort of a bonus related to the striker role.
    Leader Form: What kind of an animal is a leader-y animal?! You gain some sort of a bonus related to the leader role.
    Controller Form (Form of the Storm Hawk): You become a flying animal. Gain flyspeed, hover and an altitude limit, in addition to some sort of a bonus related to the Controller role.
    Tiny form (Form of the Benign Rat): You lose all your powers and take the shape of a tiny animal with climb speed equal to half your speed.
    Sprint form (Form of the Racing Antilope): You lose all your powers but gain a +4 bonus to speed, and a very high athletics check.
    Tree form (Farm of The Fey Leaf): You lose all your powers and cannot move. You are a tree. The type and girth of the tree is decided when you use Shapeshift, from a tiny bush to a large oak.

ShapeshiftFeat Power
    You assume an aspect of the Primal Beast or return to your humanoid form.
    At-Will Primal, Polymorph
    Move - Personal
    Effect: You change from your humanoid form to beast for or vice versa. While in beast form you can use your role features associated with that form. Your equipment, along with everything you where holding, becomes part of your beast form. While equipment is part of your beast form, it cannot be removed, and anything in a container that is partt of your beast form is inaccessible.
    Decide in association with your DM how real your beast form is. Is it a spectral aspect or do you become a true animal, along with its senses and special attributes, or anything in between these two options?
    Special: You can use this power once per round.

It's a bit open but I think its simplicity is on par with what you already have for this classlessness.

Power Points (Energy/Mana/Focus/Martial Endurance)!
    Can we do that too? Or is it too tricky to balance? 

Other classes that can be converted to this system:

Berserker
    Prerequisite:
    PrimeDefender, SubStriker
    You can use a minor action when bloodied to become enraged. While enraged you lose your Defender Aura and Foe's Folly, but gain a +1d8 bonus to a damage rolls once per round.

I think we need a more... universal name for the striker feature, other than Sneaky Surprise xD

Beast Companion
    Prerequisite:
    Trained in Nature... wait, you changed the skills system, and I haven't learnt how it works now.. Ermm.... Wisdom 13? Yeah, let's go with that.
    Benefit: You gain a beast companion. The beast companion has your defenses and Hit Points equal to your Bloodied value. You can take an action to command your beast to take the same type of action. When you take a move action your Beast Companion can take a move action. Choose a subrole for your beast companion, this option cannot be retrained.
       Bonus Benefit:
       Primary Striker:
     You lose your sneaky surprise powers. Whenever you attack a target adjacent to your Beast Companion your beast companion can make a melee basic attack against the target, if able to (i.e. not stunned or unconscous etc.). Your beast uses your attack bonus and has the same damage die and modifier as you. When you and your Beast Companion attack the same target it is subjected to a Sneaky Surprise rider according to you or your beast's subrole. Only one of you can apply the rider and the applier must've hit the target with the triggering attack.
       Primary Defender: You can use a minor action to active/deactivate your Defender Aura on you or your Beast Companion. Only one of you can have an active Defender Aura at any given time. When triggered, either you or your Beast Companion can use Foe's Folly. Your beast gains access to Foe's Folly's rider according to his subrole.
       Primary Controller: When you use your Controller Zone, choose one of the following options for one creature in the zone and adjacent to your Beast Companion.
       · Instead of your Controller Zone effect it takes an effect according to your Beast Companion's Subrole
       · Your Beast Companio works with you, increasing the numerical value of your effect by 1, or 2 if you are SubStriker.
       Primary Leader: If your Beast Companio is adjcaent to the target of your Life Giving word you either:
      · Gains access to the rider of your Life-Giving Word according to your Beast companion
      · Gain a +2 bonus to your Life Giving Word's Rider's numerical effect.

Phew, that was a disaster. Please save my Beast Companion feat! It look so nice, but the phrasing and formatting is ****ed! XD

These are done with just half-a-thought, they are just to spark some ideas in your brilliant head.

Spellcaster
    Benefit:
     Your implement attacks gain the Arcane keyword, you gain 3 wizard's cantrips of your choice and can replace one of your At-Will powers with Magic Missile. (and then a green power named "Magic Missile").
       Primary Striker: All your Arcane attacks trigger Sneaky Surprise
       Primary Controller: You conjure a flying horde with your controller zone, whether it be an illusion or just in the minds of your enemies, enemies within your controller zone cannot take opportunity attacks. (do we still have opportunity attacks in this edition?)
       Primary Leader: ...I. Have. No. Idea... Erm.. You slide either one creature adjacent to the target of your Life-Giving Word or the target itself 3 squares.
       Primary Defender: You gain a protective aura of magic. You always count as wearing heavy armor when calculating your AC bonus, even when wearing light or no armor. In addition, you replace your Defender Aura and Foe's Folly with the following powers: (credit: AdamClare)

Aegis of ProtectionSwordmage Utility
    You cast a powerful defensive spell, protecting your allies.
    At-Will Arcane, Zone
    Minor Action - Area Burst 1 Within 5
    Effect: The burst creates a zone of protective magic. Enemies within the zone take a -2 penalty to attack rolls against creatures other than you or an ally with an active Defender Aura. Marked creatures are not subjected to the zone. An enemy can only be subject to one Aegis of Protection zone, it is only subject to the most recently cast zone they occupy. The zone lasts until the end of the encounter or until you use this power again.
    Special: This power does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Dimensional ShieldingSwordmage Utility
    Your Aegis responds to your foe's attacks, protecting your allies from the worst blows
    At-Will Arcane
    Swift Action - Close burst 10
    Trigger: An enemy subject to your Aegis of Protection hits an ally of yours with an attack that does not target your or an ally with an active Defender Aura
    EffectYou reduce the damage to one ally hit by the attack by 5 + your secondary ability score modifier.
    Level 11: Prevent 10+ Constitution modifier damage.
    Level 21: Prevent 15+ Constitution modifier damage. 

Bladesinger
    Benefit: 
    When you hit with an attack you can subject a creature other than the one you hit to the attack's rider. The secondary target must be within 10 squares and in your line of sight and line of effect.

Flurry of Blows
    Benefit: All of your attacks can trigger your Sneaky Surprise, but it gains the range of Melee 1. You can target either the creature you attacked or any creature adjacent to you. If you target a creature adjacent to you other than the one you targeted you can slide the creature 1 square.

Ah, I got it backwards. XD

So using this system I would get the same powers as my non-Vancian counterpart, except that I can use my encounter powers x/per day while he only gets them 1/encounter. Not bad...

What about the normal "easier spells are easier to cast" part of the system? For example, that I can take a level 1 encounter power instead of a level 7 encounter power and use it a lot more, since it's less powerful? What about 1 additional usage for each step I go down? 

I'm level 7, I can use level 7 encounter powers 3 times per day, level 3 powers 4 times per day and level 1 powers 5 times per day. How does that sound?

Hmm, that wouldn't be a bad idea, to minimize the chance of spamming only level 7 encounter powers throughout the day

So let's see...
    Vancian Power System
    You have two level 1 non-daily attack power slots, and one daily attack power slot, instead of two level one at-will attack powers, one encounter attack power, and one daily attack power.  You can choose to fill those power slots with two level 1 encounter or at-will attack powers.  Treat the powers slotted as daily attack powers.

Each time you gain an encounter attack power when you level up, you instead gain one slot of that level, and increase your lower level slots by one.  For example, at level 7, you should have one level 7 power slot, two level 3 power slots, and three level 1 power slots.

This means that at level 27 you would have a maximum of

One level 27 power slots
    Two level 23 power slots
    Four level 17 power slots
    Five level 13 power slots
    Six level 7 power slots
    Seven level 3 power slots
    Eight level 1 power slots

It is already noted how powerful this setup can be, hence the limitations that you cannot include daily attack powers and utility powers into your power slots.  At the DM's discretion however, you can extend this system so that even utilities and daily attack powers are included, raising the number of power slots available accordingly (resulting in one power slot at level 29, two at level 27, three at level 26, etc.).  Be warned, however, that because of the power difference between even lower-level daily attack powers compared to higher-level encounter attack powers, as well as the imbalance associated with the ability to use daily utility powers more than once a day, this will likely result in very unbalanced gameplay at high levels.  (You have been warned)

Can we do the shapeshifting part? I'd like that?

Shapeshifter
    Feat: You gain two animal forms based on any of your Prime- or SubRoles (works with 3.5 multiclassing), and the Shapeshift at-will power.
    You can only use your Role feature when in beast form (cannot use Foe's folly unless in Defender Form), but if you have a role feature and not a beast form to go along with it this limitation does not apply (if you have controller zone but not controller form, this feat has no effect and you can use your controller zone in- and out of beast form).

Defender Form (Form of the Hulking Beast): You become a slow, bulky animal of your choice. You gain some sort of a bonus related to the defender role.
    Striker Form (Form of the Cunning Feline): You becoma an agile predator. You gain some sort of a bonus related to the striker role.
    Leader Form: What kind of an animal is a leader-y animal?! You gain some sort of a bonus related to the leader role.
    Controller Form (Form of the Storm Hawk): You become a flying animal. Gain flyspeed, hover and an altitude limit, in addition to some sort of a bonus related to the Controller role.
    Tiny form (Form of the Benign Rat): You lose all your powers and take the shape of a tiny animal with climb speed equal to half your speed.
    Sprint form (Form of the Racing Antilope): You lose all your powers but gain a +4 bonus to speed, and a very high athletics check.
    Tree form (Farm of The Fey Leaf): You lose all your powers and cannot move. You are a tree. The type and girth of the tree is decided when you use Shapeshift, from a tiny bush to a large oak.

ShapeshiftFeat Power
    You assume an aspect of the Primal Beast or return to your humanoid form.
    At-Will Primal, Polymorph
    Move - Personal
    Effect: You change from your humanoid form to beast for or vice versa. While in beast form you can use your role features associated with that form. Your equipment, along with everything you where holding, becomes part of your beast form. While equipment is part of your beast form, it cannot be removed, and anything in a container that is partt of your beast form is inaccessible.
    Decide in association with your DM how real your beast form is. Is it a spectral aspect or do you become a true animal, along with its senses and special attributes, or anything in between these two options?
    Special: You can use this power once per round.

It's a bit open but I think its simplicity is on par with what you already have for this classlessness.

I'll get back to you on this one XD

Power Points (Energy/Mana/Focus/Martial Endurance)!
    Can we do that too? Or is it too tricky to balance? 

Actually, Power Points could be an alternative to both Vancian and standard power systems, which could go like this:

When you choose to use the power point system, you lose your regular encounter attack powers, and instead gain power points (2 for each tier).  Whenever you gain an encounter power above level 1, you can choose to gain additional level 1 at-will attack power, or replace an existing at-will attack power (you cannot have more than five at-will attack powers under this system).

Before you make an attack, you can choose to spend power points to enhance the attack.  Spending power points will gain you the following benefits:
    * For each power point spent, you can choose to increase your at-will's damage by one dice (in the case of powers that trigger off your basic attacks, each power point increases your basic attack's damage by one weapon dice).
    * For the cost of two power points, you can choose to bypass the at-will's normal restriction on effects, allowing you to benefit from both your primary and secondary role.

Regardless if the attack hit or miss, power points spent are lost, and you can only recover these power points at the end of a short or extended rest.

Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    @Power Points:
    Wow, that was easy! I recommend to clarify whether the benefits stack (i.e. do 2 power points give me 2 extra dice and the added Role-Rider?)

This Vancian stuff is, as expected, a bit confusing. I'm gonna read it a few more (thousand) times and make up some sort of a table to clarify how it works.

Change Berserker Accordingly:
    Berskerker
    Prerequisite:
    Benefit: You can use a minor action when bloodied to become enraged. When enraged you lose your Defender Aura and Foe's Folly, but gain the Sneaky Surprise role feature until the end of the encounter. Sneaky Surprise can be triggered of any attack once per round. 

You have a number of Power Slots, each having a criteria which a power has to match to occupy each slot. Each time your Role Advancement Table would give you an Encounter Power you instead gain 1 At-will-or-Encounter Powers slot for that level and each level you would've gained an Encounter Power before that.
    In addition, all your Encounter and At-Will Powers are considered daily powers with multiple uses. The number of uses each day is equal to half your level, rounded down.

For Example:
    A level 3 Controller has 3 daily powers with multiple uses. He can cast each of those spells once per day.
    A different spellcaster chose the same power at Level 3 as he did at Level 1 for his L1 At-Will or Encounter Attack Power slot, giving him one fewer spells to cast than the previous Controller, but one of which has double the usage.

This is the Vancian Power Slot by Level Table.

Level 1
    [L1 At-Will or L1 Encounter Attack Power Slot]
    [L1 Daily Attack Power Slot]

Level 2
    [L2 Utility Power Slot]

Level 3
    [L3 At-Will or L3 Encounter Attack Power Slot]

Level 4
    [-]

Level 5
    [L5 Daily Attack Power Slot]

Level 6
    [L6 Utility Power Slot]

Level 7
    [At-Will or Encounter Attack Power Slot]
    [L3 At-Will or L3 Encounter Attack Power Slot]

This sytem means that I have 3 spell uses at level one, that are supposed to be enough for me for 6-10 encounter? I call bullshit.

An alternative would be something like this: 

You have a number of Power Slots, each having a criteria which a power has to match to occupy each slot. Each time your Role Advancement Table would give you an Encounter Power you instead gain 1 At-will-or-Encounter Powers slot for that level and additional uses of one lower level power. The lower level power can be an Attack or Utility Power.
    All your Encounter and L1 At-Will Powers are considered daily powers with multiple uses. The number of uses per power each day is equal to half your level, rounded down (minimum 2). Taking the same power twice allow you to cast it a number of times equal to your level, instead of half your level.
    This does not affect powers from additional optional sources, such as Paragon Paths or Epic Destinies.
    The number of Daily Attack Powers with multiple uses is limited to ________ and the number of Daily Utility Powers with multiple uses is limited to ________.

The Vancian Power Slot by Level Table
    Level 1
    [L1 At-Will or L1 Encounter Attack Power]
    [L1 At-Will or L1 Encounter Attack Power]
    [L1 Daily Attack Power]

Level 2
    [L2 Utility Power]

Level 3
    [L3 At-Will or L3 Encounter Attack Power]
    [Rechoose one lower level At-Will, Encounter Attack Power or Encounter Utility Power]

Level 4
    [-]

Level 5
    [L5 Daily Attack Power]

Level 6
    [L6 Utility Power]

Level 7
    [L7 At-Will or Encounter Attack Power Slot]
    [Rechoose one lower level At-Will, Encounter Attack Power or Encounter Utility Power]

There, I think that's more like it. Now you cannot cast any spell  THOUSAND times per day, you start at level 1 with 6 spell uses in addition to your basic attacks and you use your utility powers far more freely now, allowing you to take situational powers that you can still get the most of. For example, I have so many times wished I could use JUMP (a wizard utility power) multiple times per encounter, 'cause I only used it in 1 or 2 encounters per day. It was something I wanted to use rarely, but freely. Now I can :D

I think you should also have a chapter about level advancement when cross-using this "edition" with fourth edition.

Utility Powers and 4e
    There are many good utility powers in 4th edition, but they are all categorized by class. As not to exclude these powers from your selection of utility powers, this is the prerequisites each Role or Role Combination meets when selecting utility powers.

Defender:
    Fighter
    Knight
    Battlemind
    Paladin
    Warden

Defender, Spellcaster Feat
    Swordmage

PrimeDefender/SubStriker:
    Barbarian

Controller
    Druid
    Invoker
    Psion
    Seeker
    Wizard

PrimeController/Substriker, Hunter Feat
    Ranger

PrimeController/Substriker
    Warlock

etc.

Other classes that can be converted to this system:

Berserker
    Prerequisite:
    You can use a minor action when bloodied to become enraged. While enraged you lose your Defender Aura and Foe's Folly, but gain a +1d8 bonus to a damage rolls once per round.

I think we need a more... universal name for the striker feature, other than Sneaky Surprise xD

Beast Companion
    Prerequisite:
    Trained in Nature... wait, you changed the skills system, and I haven't learnt how it works now.. Ermm.... Wisdom 13? Yeah, let's go with that.
    Benefit: You gain a beast companion. The beast companion has your defenses and Hit Points equal to your Bloodied value. You can take an action to command your beast to take the same type of action. When you take a move action your Beast Companion can take a move action. Choose a subrole for your beast companion, this option cannot be retrained.
       Bonus Benefit:
       Primary Striker:
     You lose your sneaky surprise powers. Whenever you attack a target adjacent to your Beast Companion your beast companion can make a melee basic attack against the target, if able to (i.e. not stunned or unconscous etc.). Your beast uses your attack bonus and has the same damage die and modifier as you. When you and your Beast Companion attack the same target it is subjected to a Sneaky Surprise rider according to you or your beast's subrole. Only one of you can apply the rider and the applier must've hit the target with the triggering attack.
       Primary Defender: You can use a minor action to active/deactivate your Defender Aura on you or your Beast Companion. Only one of you can have an active Defender Aura at any given time. When triggered, either you or your Beast Companion can use Foe's Folly. Your beast gains access to Foe's Folly's rider according to his subrole.
       Primary Controller: When you use your Controller Zone, choose one of the following options for one creature in the zone and adjacent to your Beast Companion.
       · Instead of your Controller Zone effect it takes an effect according to your Beast Companion's Subrole
       · Your Beast Companio works with you, increasing the numerical value of your effect by 1, or 2 if you are SubStriker.
       Primary Leader: If your Beast Companio is adjcaent to the target of your Life Giving word you either:
      · Gains access to the rider of your Life-Giving Word according to your Beast companion
      · Gain a +2 bonus to your Life Giving Word's Rider's numerical effect.

Phew, that was a disaster. Please save my Beast Companion feat! It look so nice, but the phrasing and formatting is ****ed! XD

I think something like this and perhaps your Shapeshifter would work better as theme/background/template/archetype feature deal. 

and the Wolf is the obvious Leader animal.  "Pack Tactics" and such. 

I've been trying to add in a shapeshifter and pack companion feature, but it's really difficult to add them in without hinting at "power creep", so I'd probably have them as part of "class templates" or themes instead, wherein beast companions would be a theme, while shapeshifters would be an optional theme (like the Lone Wolf or Dead Rat Deserter theme) or a class template (sacrificing the generic benefits for unique ones).

Alternatively, we could have a template system like what is used in 3E, wherein characters can utilize multiple themes  
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    As long as they go in there, I'm happy. 
    Since this project started my goal with this has been "Make it simple, and make it fit all character concepts". So whenever I think of a new character concept, I want it to be possible to achieve via this system.

Blaster
    Prerequisite:
     PrimeStriker
    Benefit: You lose your Sneaky Surprise feature. Instead you gain a damage bonus to all damage rolls equal to your Secondary Ability Score modifier.

It's not a lot for a single feat, but It's a crucial component for any AoE dps.

I was reading through the main posts of this thread, and I'd love to see the attack powers. In addition I did find a few nit-picks.

Defender Aura, regarding the flavor text.
     I think we should introduce a new format to flavor texts. I think most flavor texts are a bit restrictive, if not only in a way that they only ever describe one flavor at a time. I think using "Whether it be through ______ or _______ ,you_______"  is a good format to demonstrate with every ability that for each of your powers you can have multiple flavors.
    "Whether it be through a magical aura or a clever set of tactics, you keep your foes distracted and their attentions away from your allies"

Defender Aura and Foe Folly's Trigger 
    If you took Opportunity Attacks out of the game, why do you still have shift as a trigger?

Foe's Folly
    This ability takes a Triggered Action, but one of its riders takes an additional swift action. What does that mean, and why is this?

Foe's Folly Defender Rider
    I suggest that the defender takes only half the damage of the attack. This is a even bigger benefit since it counters focus target AND allows the tank to soak up some damage. Then of course we add in that at level 11 the defender gains resist 5 all damage taken through his Foe's Folly, with resist 10 at 21st.

Regarding Foe's Folly's Trigger and effects.
    It triggers of a shift, yet all of its effects are mainly focus towards the attack trigger. We need to add the mobiliity trigger as well, and make it trigger of all movement since you took out Opportunity Attacks and shifting.
    "An enemy subject to your Defender Aura makes an attack against an ally of yours but not you or an ally with an active Defender Aura, or leaves a square adjacent to you without teleporting"
    There. Now to update those riders.

Defender: If this ability is triggered by an attack, you take half the damage of the triggering attack, reducing the damaage taken by the target of the attack by half. If this ability is triggered by a move you can_______"

The Controller rider also now makes far more sense, sinse the "resolved action" is not "the target moves its speed" but "it moves one square".
    Controller: "...slide the triggering enemy one square to a square adjacent to you. This stops the enemy's movement, but he can still use other actions remaining that allow him to move, such as a standard action"

Regarding Sneaky Surprise
    Move the Special line to the Trigger line, and fix he tipo in "Trigger" (it currently says "Target"). 
    This feature does need a new name, since it is a generic striker featur meant to be modified by feats and fit most character concepts.

A few fixes for Controller Zone
    Leader: You and your allies gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls against enemy's within the zone.
    Controller: Enemies of your choice within 5 squares of the center of the Zone are pulled up to two squares towards the middle of the zone. Enemies that start their turn within th zone are slowed until the end of their turn.

The leader fix is there only to back up the flavor of "leading" instead of "debilitating". 

-Th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks!

Two-weapon fighter
    Prerequisite:
    PrimeStriker
    Benefit: You lose your Sneaky Surprise feature, but gain the Dual Weapon Attack.

Dual Weapon AttackFeat Power
    You follow a successful swing with a quick strike from your off hand.
    At-Will Martial, Weapon
    Swift Action - Melee weapon
    Requirement: You must be weilding two weapons.
    Hit: 1[W] + primary ability score modifier (off-hand)
    Special: You can only use this power once per round.

I was not sure if the riders are supposed to stay with the power, I'll let you decide that. 

Ranger
    Prerequisite: PrimeStriker
    Benefit: Your Sneaky Surprise can now trigger of ranged attacks, even if you don't have combat advantage for the attack. 

I think you came up with that one, but I don't think its in this thread yet.

The toughest character concepts are those most flavorful.

I can't wait to try to make a bard through this ruleset ^^ 

Role Expertise
    Prerequisite: You only have one role.
    Benefit: You gain an expertise option based on your primary and secondary role.
        Controller Expertise: Once per turn, whenever you hit with an attack you can slide the target of the attack one square.
        Defender Expertise: You gain resist 2 all damage, or the penalty to attack rolls imposed by your defender aura is increased to 3
        Leader Expertise: Once per turn, as a swift action or when you hit with an attack you can give one ally within 5 squares Temporary Hit Points equal to your Primary Ability Score Modifier, or allow him to move 1 square.
        Striker Expertise: Once per turn, before or after you make an attack roll you can move 1 square as a swift action. This does not count towards the number of actions you can take during your turn. 

Paragon Role Expertise
    Prerequisite: You must replace this feat with Role Expertise.
    Benefit: You gain an expertise option based on your role.
         Controller Expertise: Once per turn, whenever you hit with an attack you can knock the target prone
        Defender Expertise:
     You gain resist 5 all damage, or the penalty to attack rolls imposed by your defender aura is increased to 3
        Leader Expertise: 
    Once per turn, as a swift action or when you hit with an attack you can give one ally within 5 squares Hit Points equal to your Primary Ability Score Modifier, or allow him to move 2 squares.
        Striker Expertise: 
    Once per turn, before and after you make an attack roll you can move two squares as a swift action. This does not count towards the number of actions you can take during your turn. 

I don't know, I just felt like whe should have some meta in this ruleset.

Please fill in the attack power section, and there's a lot of stuff from your old thread that's still missing here.

I found a character concept not supported by this ruleset: "The Flash". Basically a monk that can move like crazy and do melee damage. A striker that always manages to position himself away from his opponents at the end of his turn. What do you suggest? 

What about reach weapons? A friend of mine though about creating Kratos from God of War with this thing xD. 

Please fill in the attack power section, and there's a lot of stuff from your old thread that's still missing here.

I found a character concept not supported by this ruleset: "The Flash". Basically a monk that can move like crazy and do melee damage. A striker that always manages to position himself away from his opponents at the end of his turn. What do you suggest? 

Nimble Strike-type powers and Aspect of the Dancing Serpent-like stances, Rogue/Thief Utilities (Tumble, Ignoble Escape, and Combat Tumbleset) and bonuses to defenses against OAs.

Reach Weapons would be superior, right?  buy-in for a feat, or proficiency baked in to a Theme/Template thing.

Speaking of Theme/Template things, any more thoughts on those?  In my own little reworking, I just copied made up some archetypes with a thematic  encounter power, feature, skill etc.  like a Brawler with bonus to athletics, increased unarmed dice, and a Sucker Punch interrupt attack.  I figure those sorts of things are combat stuff and Backgrounds would cover non-combat stuff, with skill power utilities, rituals/alchemy, cantrip-y things.

Sign In to post comments