HELP

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey guys, i just started plaing magic and ive been working with this deck for a couple days tweaking it and such. im just curious as to how it looks to more expierenced players and/or if you have any tips or pointed as to what i could change, make better, whats some faults are.

11 Forest
8 Plains
2 Shimmering Grotto

1 Phyrexian Hydra
2 Phyrexian Juggernaut
2 Greater Basilisk
1 Viridian Corrupter
2 Priests of Norn
2 Plague Myr
2 Pride Guardian
1 Cathedral Membrane
1 Giant Spider
1 Carnage Wurm
1 Splinterfright
1 Sacred Wolf
1 Blight Mamba
1 Rot Wolf
1 Travel Preparations
1 Bramblecrush
1 Trollhide
2 Hunters' Feast
1 Ranger's Guile
1 Lure
1 Bountiful Harvest
1 Angels Mercy
1 Fog
1 Leeching Bite
1 Decimator Web
1 Smite the Monstrous
1 Mighty Leap
1 Divine Favor
1 Safe Passage
1 Sickleslicer
1 Wreath of Geists
1 Spidery Grasp
1 Day of Judgement

hotchpotch

some basic rules you break here:

dont mix infect with normal damage
dont play lifegain cards for the lifegain (knight of the meadowgrain fx is more than fine.)
dont play defenders unless you for some strategic reason want a long game (and even the defenders are rarely the way to go)
dont play hexproof creatures for the hexproof

finally two  rules which in this case seem interconnected: build your decks around a strategy and buy singles to give your deck a strategy 

tweaking according to the 4 rules above will get you an ok-ish deck. But youre gonna have to invest to make the deck any good. it can be just common/uncommons but you need to replace some of the cards with better ones and more importantly you need cards that go together well. 
Well with out knowing the rest of your collection, and knowing that you just started and probibly dont have tons its hard to make direct suggestions.  So i'll give some general ones.

Theme:    Keeping a deck on a one track mind keeps it more consistant.   Decide how you want to win, and evaluate every card with the thinking "does this help how im trying to win"     Very often new players will just pile all of their cool and flashy cards together with out thinking how well they work together to the same goal.

Mana Curve:  When you make a deck,  check the mana costs of your spells.    If your deck is pilled with expensive cards, you wont be able to cast them for several turns, and you can get swarmed before you can drop your big stuff.   At the same point, if you deck is loaded with cheap cards you wont have a end game strength

On that point, some decks need more or less lands then others.  If the most expensive card in your deck only costs 3 mana, you wont need 24 lands.  but if your deck has 5 6 and 7 mana cards, you will need plenty to make sure you draw enough to play a land almost every turn or you wont be able to play them on time.

Something youve probibly already figured out, is not all cards are as good as others.  Try and get multiple copies of your best cards.  Replace your lesser ones as you can.  a lot of great decks will have 4 of their best cards, to make sure they draw them constantly or so they can be replaced if they are destroyed

Looking over your deck, youve got a theme split problem.   You have a mix of infect creatures, and those without it.   Thats gonna make winning harder for you.   If you want to win via poison, you should remove as many of your non infecters as possible.
 Another good tip for infect is to use instant cards that boost power of creatures.   you can attack with 3 infectors into 2 blockers, wait for your opponent to block, and cast something like giant growth on the unblocked creature to stick some more poison to them.

Hope it helps

:For autocarding, write [ c ] card name [ / c ] You can also do [*c=lightning bolt]'Bolt[/c*] to get 'Bolt sigged because I always forget to do it
Like the gents before me have mentioned - read some articles on deck making first ideally.

Then tell us cards you like in the deck or themes and the kind people here will suggest ideas and cards that will help you.
Thank you for you're input everyonem though I have read a few "guides" on how to build a deck, i was just curious as to what you guys thought about my deck, and besides that it is helpful to get specific tips toward my cards individually rather than decks general. Thanks again
Whilst we appreciate what your saying its hard to comment on the deck and the card selection when we dont know what its geard for. For example your deck contains Splinterfright, whilst it is one of my prefered cards, it must be built into a graveyard manipulation deck to be really good but your deck seems to prefer using live creatures to smash with. So whilst a card may be good it isnt always appropriate or it dosent work well with its surroundings. Re-post your deck when you know what your game plan with it is then people will be more able to suggest options.

"It is always correct to Rancor

EDH: Kresh, the Bloodbraided

Casual: Old Dimir

I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Generally, decks like this need a way to get creatures into the graveyard before the fright can do its thing, so splashing blue and running dream twist helps. But this is much better, nice job
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
Generally, decks like this need a way to get creatures into the graveyard before the fright can do its thing, so splashing blue and running dream twist helps. But this is much better, nice job

hadn't thought about using that on myself, thanks for the input

hadn't thought about using that on myself, thanks for the input

Mulch is a good card if you need to fill your GY with creatures.