OOC Tavern 2

583 posts / 0 new
Last post

The OOC Tavern 2

PZO9512-TavernBrawl.jpg

Any longer out of character discussions should go in this thread now.

That would include longer rules discussions, feedback on the game, or any other comments, thoughts etc you might have, not even necessarily related to the game itself.

This doesn't mean that you can't post anything out of character in the game thread. Combat mechanics and brief clarification questions still go in there, but any longer discussion will no longer clutter the game thread if we put it in here.
Well, here is a basic run down of my thoughts on what Himdur was up to durign the winter. Let me know if you as the DM have a problem with them or wish to make changes.

Seeing as how the majority of this game seems to take place around Sainpoint I was going to have Himdur return there at the end of winter.

To start off with he travels to Janderhoff and works out a deal to have a group of dwarves, craftsman as well as soldiers go to the fort and assist with rebuilding it. He will go along and help set up the smithy, basically using it to expand on the business he already has. His forge here won't be limited on what it can do for fear of upsetting others in the business. One of his cousins will run the forge while he is gone.

Once repairs are well underway then Himdur would head back to Sandpoint. As for repairs, the dwarves will strive to upgrade the wooden fort to a stone fortress, at least the inner part of it. There could be an outer wall of wood until the inner portion is finished. The dwarves will also work on excavating back into the mountain to increase the space inside the stone walls. It will lokk small from the outside, but be larger inside. This would give the added defense of being able to withdraw into the mountain and severely limit how attackers can get at them, if needed.

Once back in Sandpoint he will work on improving his house and his forge/temple and seek a true business license that will let him compete with other shops/smithies in town. Again he was goign to get a few cousins or other dwarves to come and help run the business, especially if he has to go away again. I was thinking about a dozen dwarves, possibly two families, that would make up the work force for building and then for running his new forge/temple/shop.

Perhaps he could have a letter from Janderhoff requesting the council of Sandpoint allow him to set up his shop and how this would help lead to more trade between the cities. Kind of a bully tactic to get the shop set up if needed. ;)

The shop/business will of course be run in the background and have no real affect on the game. Just fun RPing.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
No problem with that. I like it if you make the setting your own. He'll probably want to talk to the locals - a promise of good dwarven steel at a discount for their own smithing works would probably make them warm up to the idea. ;)
Oh yes definitely he has promises of increased trade in dwarven goods.

Here is the layout of his place and the new forge. The room behind the forge is the store and the stairs down lead to storage room that sets under the storeroom and the forge.

He used Excavation to remove some of the stone and then the dwarves would have removed the rest and used it to make the forge. He used Earthen Ramparts to make the risen section around the forge which gave them the room underneath, which they used the stones they removed to make the floors and walls and then tey turns the rampart into a stairway that went all the way around to make it easier for people to come up to the forge and store. As opposed to just walking up a steep incline.

Only change to his living quarters was to make a room in the back for the kitchen instead of it being in the main room.  

Granted the place might not be completely finished as the picture shows for a year or so, but that is the current plan. ;) His using the rituals will speed up about half of it though.  Raised the ramparts and then excavated the outer row of squares for each of the new rooms, except his new kitchen which he did all of it.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
I'd say by spring you have some dwarves who've arrived and have settled down in Sandpoint. Work on your forge is underway - I'd say the excavation ritual part is done, but the forge and storerooms (above and below) still need work. You should be ready to go by ... let's say summer at the earliest?

edit: And that's a nice work you've done with the map! Why don't you post it in the campaign setting thread so it won't get buried in here? (Although I suppose it's easy enough to find as it's one of the first posts.)
Wow, that's pretty detailed.  I can come up with a map for Jakob's tower if needed I suppose.

My Art
"The signposts are in English, so that we may read them more easily, but the place... is the twilight zone."

It's not needed.

btw, I'll try to get to the game thread this weekend, but no promises. Work's been a bit crazy (got a 11h+ day today... not even including 2h+ driving time), so I have some catching up to do in correcting tests and preparing lessons this weekend.
I was just having fun with my mapping programs. ;)
I think everyone who is not in NPC mode atm is checked in for the new thread.
Actually ... the DM was in NPC mode.

This week was busy as hell, so I had some catching up to do. This game ended up last as I had to first work on the 4e conversion so I have an idea on how this is going to work.

*wanders over to the game thread*
Note to Icanus: Adventurer's Vault added Drakescale Armor, which has a minimum enhancement bonus of +2 and an AC bonus of +8 for a total of +10. Kjell should have that instead of normal scale, adding 1 more point to his AC.
Thanks, Mysteria. I'll make the adjustment right away.
So we've got I think 3 fronts to cover here.  Time to split the party?

My Art
"The signposts are in English, so that we may read them more easily, but the place... is the twilight zone."

Only if you want to end up dead.*

The idea is that you go wherever you're most needed and give the defenders a hand in doing their job.

That also gives me less of a headache on coordinating things. ;)

You can split for the ten minutes you have to prepare, but should show up at a common rally point.

*Well, realistically, you'd have the villagers to help you, but I do not really want to have to play the whole village. DnD doesn't really handle large-scale battles all that well, so I'll just go with my usual modus for running them: the heroes intervene at key points while the rest of the defenders is busy dealing with lower-level threads. OK?
Gotcha.  I'm all for making things simpler.

My Art

Waiting for the remaining players to state a course of action for those ten minutes or to tell me where you want to line up to wait for the giants.
I am off to read the game thread and get caught up. Should have something posted soon.
Back, and headed to the main thread to catch up.

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

• Maeve in The Lost History of Istar

Assuming the lower-case letters in front of the gate are some kind of obstacle, can Jakob reach L15 and at least get Boar 4 with his attack?

My Art

x walls, 25ft high (blocking terrain)
- wooden platform, 20ft up
# ladders (climbing needed to go up 20ft, DC trivial)
. ground
w wagon with h horse (give cover)
N various NPCs
S Shalelu
D double doors, barred from the southern side
% wounded NPC
1 and 2: hill giant rock throwers
3 to 5: dire boars
x walls, 25ft high (blocking terrain)
- wooden platform, 20ft up
# ladders (climbing needed to go up 20ft, DC trivial)
. ground
w wagon with h horse (give cover)
N various NPCs
S Shalelu
D double doors, barred from the southern side
% wounded NPC
1 and 2: hill giant rock throwers
3 to 5: dire boars

Can you repost that with each map? Please. I find I have to go back and find the first map in a fight to remind myself what the symbols are.
Thundering Roar might not be the best power for the situation, but I'll stick with Jakob's action as stated.  He should be able to get into range and blast the lead boar.

My Art

Draidden: Sure, I'll try to remember that (remind me if I forget).

Bel: OK
Omen: If you haven't quite finished updating Ulm, you can just play the old version for now and switch whenever you're ready.
Ulm update:
upgraded badge of Berseker (2080)
bought Battle Standard of thr Hungry Blade (4200) - actually some kind of carved Shoanti totem
and 5 Frozen Whetstones (500)
so 220gp left

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

• Maeve in The Lost History of Istar

If wanted, Kjell can also just 5ft step into the space Aylmora vacated.

This will do for Kjell. Thanks.
At least it wasn't a crit which is what I expected.

Hmm even with Kjell or Ulm marking it she needs another +1 to make crits into the only way of being hit, so close...
I won't manage to update today or tomorrow. Maybe not even before the weekend.

My life got kind of busier than anticipated as I visisted a friend of mine this afternoon, who get a baby last Sunday. We ended up talking longer than expected. and then there's still the thing called work , the clothes waiting to be ironed, my parents inviting me over to their place, a friend's birthday (different one than the one with the baby) ... ;)
Enjoy! We will be here when you get back.
Got the map done now, enjoy. ;)

As you can see, the room to the right isn't finished yet.
Oh man, that is just messed up. Destroying my house.... Someone is going to die today!. ;)
Definitely.

It was great coincidence (for me) - it was right on the path one of the giant parties was supposed to take (too bad for Himdur :P).
If 1 remains inside is it squeezing?
Good point. Yes.
Jakob should be at 5/7 surges and full HP, shouldn't he?

My Art

Whoops, fixed! (in my local copy - will be right next time I post)
Hmm aside from undoing the dwarves I don't see anything really changing for Kjell's turn that will affect the giants. 5 will not take the cleave damage but otherwse it will still be marked and 6 will still be marked and take its damage.
Alternatively, he could have changed his weapon to a reach weapon for the AP attack and not undo the dwarf's bag.
Gentleman and possibly ladies, if we want to survive these up coming fights we need to stick together. With these larger foes with such high amounts of hit points, would it not be wiser to have all tackle one and bring him down fast so there are less attacking us than to have us split our attacks between 2 or 3 targets and not drop any of them giving the enemy even more attacks on us? The guys throwing the rocks at us were doing less damage than the smashers. Having Kjell race off to fight on his own has once again put him in dire straights and is going to take us more rounds to drop the last smasher then if he had stayed and helped us.

Guess Himdur will have to have a talk with the group after this fight. ;)

Not trying to tell anyone what to do, just suggesting some better strategies for us to use in the upcoming fights.
Jakob might want to spend a healing surge to get back to max hit points before we go into the next fight. The way he and Kjell keep getting wailed on, they might not make it if they go in damaged. ;)
Good point.  Yes, he will do that.

My Art

Sign In to post comments