Pathfinder: Fortress of the Stone Giants

933 posts / 0 new
Last post


Pathfinder – Rise of the Runelords (4e)
Fortress of the Stone Giants




published by Paizo

Autumn turns into winter and then slowly into spring again. Putting your newly aquired wealth to good use, you keep quite busy and as spring comes, can look proudly on your achievements.

Come spring however, rumours of increased giant activity in the lowlands of Varisia are on everyone's tongue. The stories speak of remote villages attacked by hill giant hunting parties, ogres raiding farms and eating everything and everyone, and of bands of stone giants moving through the Malgorian Mountains, Churlwood, and even down along the Lost Coast. So far, none of the larger towns along the Lampblack River or Ember Lake have reported attacks from giants, but the growing number of sightings at the fringes of civilization are enough to cause even Magnimar to take notice. Patrols have been increased along the Lost Coast Road, the Dry Way and the Lampblack Trail. Signs of giants are there - immense footprints, houses crushed to splinters, and second hand tales of sightings by hermits and hunters. Yet so far, the giants have not engaged in a full-on attack and indeed, many are wondering what exactly they are up to.

Recently, however, there have been indications that several of the groups seem to be heading in the general direction of Sandpoint. For various reasons, your group has been contacted to assess the situation. You are the Heroes of Sandpoint, the Liberators of Fort Rannick and the Saviors of Turtleback Ferry. Who else if not you could deal with the giant problem. So, after several months, you once again reunite in Sandpoint, at Ameiko Kaijitsu's tavern who has graciously offered you free lodgings as a crisis meeting has been scheduled early tomorrow morning.
Sandpoint
See also Campaign Setting Thread.
Link to big map.



You may post now.
The Kalsgarder is in fine high spirits as his bark rounds the wooded headland and puts into Sandpoint Harbor. It has nothing to do with the little village. On the contrary, most of his memories of Sandpoint have to do with feral goblins and haunted ruins and bloody murder. But Kjell's mood lifted the moment he set out from Fort Rannick and has stayed that way for all the long river journey down to Magnimar and then along the Long Coast. Jakardros and the others have been fine company through the winter, but the long, restless months penned up in their little broken-down castle have taken their toll on him. A first, the northerner would range up and down the Skull River or into the Kreegwood to cure his wanderlust, but that grew tedious after the first week, and he more and more he would have to settle for gazing up at the looming heights of the Wyvern Mountains -- sadly unscalable in the winter's snow -- and imagining what he might see once he finally set out across the great Storval Plateau.

The spring thaw, therefore, couldn't come too soon for Kjell, nor the letter summoning him and his comrades back to Sandpoint. He was finally free of his cabin fever plying the bends of the Yondabakari, and the monuments of Magnimar brought a smile to his face that hasn't left it since. Filling his lungs with the salt air of Varisian Bay, he calls out a cheerful "Ahoy!" to the dockhands and fishwives along the Sandpoint piers and searches the crowds for familiar faces. He wonders if Shayliss Vinder will be waiting for him, or if she's found a new beau. When last he left the lass she was mourning the grisly death of her sister Katrine, and he can only guess what she'll think to see him here again.
Jakob spends his winter helping out the rangers of Fort Rannick with their rebuilding and generally trying to make himself useful while he makes the tower a home.  The local lizards are welcome company through the process.  The work quickly brings home just how destructive the explosive blast in the basement was, and he can't help but wonder if there might have been some way to avoid it.  Having to help clean up afterward does much to curb his enthusiasm for recklessness.

Still, thunder and lightening are in his blood.  While he resolves to be more cognizant of consequences in the future, if he is honest with himself, the thrill of the shattering boom and massive blast are things he could never long resist.

It is nice to get to know the rangers, and he feels for them as the threat of encroaching giants is whispered around. Something will have to be done.

My Art | The Pathfinder Chronicle of Razimus Nonus
"The signposts are in English, so that we may read them more easily, but the place... is the twilight zone."

While the roads were open Aylmora took the time to travel between Foxglove Manor, Sandpoint and Magnimar, organising work on the new building and generally keeping the road under her feet and the wind in her hair as much as she could. As the roads closed she settled into Sandpoint and back at Ameiko's tavern, turning her hand to tales of her adventures and keeping herself busy working as much as Ameiko would let her.

It was a good time, and one in which she felt comfortable as she had not done during the summer and fall as the events that propelled her to fame unfolded. In that time her smile was quick and easy and she danced often. Yet as the rumors of giants grew her smile came less often, and after her fellow "heroes" were called she danced less and spent more time on the roof of the tavern at night.

Aylmora does not want to go, but the question has plagued her nights since she was first asked to do so.

"If not us then who?"
Finally finished with his traveling around and setting up trade agreements between the fort and Janderhoff and increasing the trade to Sandpoint so he could expand his business, Himdur has come home to Sandpoint. He spent a lot fo his spare time working on enlarging his homoe and working on building his new forge and store. Now things are fairly well underway and his cousins family has arrived to help him run things, he was ready to sit back and take a little breather. Unfortunately some giants had other plans and again he is asked to help deal with this problem. His feelings about this are divided. He would love to stay and help finish working on upgrading his business, but he also has an itching to go out and see more of the world. So with miced feelings he accepts the request and rejoins his companions for their next big adventure for the early mornign crisis meeting which he is pretty sure is going to ask them to travel out and end this threat.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Aylmora arrives at the council at the apointed time, she is dressed for the road and her disposition might best be described as grim.
One by one, you trickle into the tavern while the sun is barely rising over the horizon. Ameiko dishes up a rather consequent breakfast with sizzling bacon, hot potatoes, wonderfully orange eggs and of course also a broad selection of crisp, fresh bread with various salted and sweet toppings to go with it.

You have just settled down good and nicely when Belor, the sherif, arrives. With a grim nod, he puts down the backpack he's carrying, then draws up a chair and sits down. "Enjoy the food while we still can. Shalelu will be joining us a bit later, she's out scouting as she fears the giants might be even closer than we think. As far as we've had reports, it's mostly hill giants with a smattering of ogres and dire bear pets. Small groups mostly, in threes or fours who actually seem to be avoiding contact. There's been rumours of a behemoth or two too. And some people are saying they actually spotted a dragon swooping around overhead, but I'm not sure about that. What's sure is that there's pteranodons around - Shalelu spotted one wheeling over here just yesterday. I can't tell you how glad I am to have you here, I'm really worried the storm's going to hit soon."

He points to his backpack, "I've gone around and collected some items I think might come in handy." He grabs it and balances it on one of his huge knees, then opens it and points at the items within. "I got some resistance potions just in case the dragon rumours are true and a potion of healing for each of you, in case something goes horribly wrong. I also found a jar of aiming paste - you might need to use backup weapons to shoot at the fliers. Madame Mvashti's sending you some flasks of bottled elements while Father Zantus insisted that I bring you some holy water, although I don't think that'll do much good against ogres. Oh, and Ilsoari insists that you should learn this. Ilsoari and Madame Mvashti also invites you to come over and take a look over the other scrolls and alchemical items they've got lying around." He pushes a leaflet towards Himdur. "And Chask says he's got some horses if you need to go anywhere fast. In fact, I think about anybody in town will help you if you need something."

In total, he's collected:
- 2 potions of resistance vs fire
- 5 potions of healing
- 1 augmenting whetstones (level 6)
- 2 each of alchemist's frost, fire and acid (level 6)
- 4 flasks of holy water (level 6)
- comrade's succor ritual

Just as he finishes speaking and you start splitting up the potions, there's a commotion outside and you can hear a horse whinny, then the door is thrown open and Shalelu comes rushing in. "They're here! I spotted them on the northern tors! They're marching towards Sandpoint! They'll be here in less than ten minutes!"

edit: Oh, and could you each give me several initiative rolls? Let's say three.
Inits 1d20+5=8, 1d20+5=25, 1d20+5=10 Mixed bag as usual.

Jakob, having just filled his mouth with some of their delicious breakfast, nearly chokes as he swallows it down when Shalelu rushes in.  The giants, here, now?

My Art | The Pathfinder Chronicle of Razimus Nonus
"The signposts are in English, so that we may read them more easily, but the place... is the twilight zone."

Note: You do have ten minutes to prepare, so do post what you're doing with that time.
Aylmora sighs, and wipes her mouth carefully with a napkin.

"At least I dressed for the occasion," she says dryly. "Shalelu what direction are they coming from and is there a good place to meet them a few minutes away from town in that direction?"

With those words she stands her hands slipping easily to her blades, looking every inch the dashing Varisian rogue despite the reluctance she showed earlier.
"They're coming from the north." Shalelu indicates, then says, "Away from town? Not really, the best would be at the town's wall where you can shoot at them from above."

Belor interjects, "Besides, if whoever leads them has any sense and did his homework, he'll not attack only from the north, because that's probably the most difficult entry into town. He'll send forces to the other sides too, as they're more vulnerable."
"How many come from the north?" Aylmora asks beginning to walk towards the door.
Kjell pushes away his plate and leaps to his feet. "Raise the alarm! Rouse the watch! Arm the villagers!" he declares to Sheriff Hemlock, tightening the straps on his armor. "There's not a moment to lose. We'll do our best to stop them, but in case we cannot the town must be prepared. If the giants can't force their way through the wall, they'll want to cross the river at the bridges, aye?" We've come not a moment to soon, the northerner reflects as he strides for the door. Not even enough time for breakfast before our foes are upon us. He does his best to hide his excited smile.

Initiatives: 14, 32, 18. These include the bonus from Ulm.
Jakob, considering the advice of the elven ranger, says "If Shalelu and some of the townsfolk can hold the wall and discourage the giants with arrows, perhaps we can cover the bridges?"

My Art | The Pathfinder Chronicle of Razimus Nonus
"The signposts are in English, so that we may read them more easily, but the place... is the twilight zone."

"I've seen two, each with a dire boar, but I got spotted in turn and didn't risk getting closer to get a better luck." Shalelu answers Aylmora.

Belor nods at Kjell, "I'm at it." He shoves his backpack into Kjell's arms and is off and out, raising his voice as soon as he's outside. Shalelu adds, "I alerted the guards at the northern gate already. We can probably hold them there for a while. Anything else? If not - I'm off to the gate." she adds, rather impatiently.
"Not from I," Aylmora says to Shalelu, and stepping outside calls her obsidian steed into being. "I suggest horses all around, we can ride out and engage these couple, then ride back to aid the defence of the town against other attackers, on foot will take too long." With that she swings with easy grace onto the magical steed. "I'll ride ahead and organise mounts for the rest of you."

Then she is gone to see Chask to organise mounts for everyone else.

"10 minutes is far too close," she thinks.
Himdur's Initiative rolls: 5(1d20) +6 = 11; 12(1d20) +6 = 18; 2(1d20) +6 = 8

Wait Aylmora. Getting the horses is a godo idea, but we should not rush out to meet them. We have no idea how many are out there and we could easily be surrounded and cut off from any help. They could also lead us on a wild goose chase while the rest of the giants attack and destroy Sandpoint.

We should set up a base in the center of the town. Get intel as to what is coming where, and then move to where we are needed quickly by horse and deal with that situation. This way we support the town and don't abandon them and they are able to help us if we need it.

Turning to the sheriff and including the rest of the group in his question.

Is there anyone in town who speaks giant? If so, then I can cast the Comprhend Language Ritual so that all of us can understand giant. That way when they start yelling orders, we know what is being said.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Shalelu nods and grabs a piece of paper on which she writes down a few lines in giant, reading them out for Himdur, then hand the paper over to him and moves off towards the northern gate.

OK, so far the plan is:
During the ten minutes wait:
- Aylmora gets the horses
- Himdur casts the comprehend language ritual
- the rest waits until both

At the end of the ten minutes:
- Gather in the centre of town, mounted and wait for developments.
Himdur casts the Comprehend Languages ritual. He uses his new monocle. It splits into 8 identical monocles. He passes one to each member of the group, keeping one for himself and then gives the other 3 to the sheriff.

Whoever has one of these in their possession will understand giant for the next 24 hours. You can give the extras to some of your commanders and hopefully it will help them too.

He then heads out to their rally point and waits for news as to where they will be needed first.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jakob, nervous but also itching for action after the long and mostly uneventful winter, follows after Himdur.  He's ready to throw some lightening around.

My Art | The Pathfinder Chronicle of Razimus Nonus
"The signposts are in English, so that we may read them more easily, but the place... is the twilight zone."

Kjell turns the curious monocle over in his hand, doubtful of its properties but trusting in Himdur's claim. He slips it into one of his pockets and puts it out of his mind for now. When Aylmora returns with the horses, he thanks her and pulls himself carefully into the saddle of the nearest one. The steed is almost as peculiar to him as the enchanted monocle, though. Drobilka's sons are mariners, not horsemen, and Kjell had seen little experience in the saddle before his arrival in Varisia. Nevertheless, he takes the reins in his hand, plants his feet in the stirrups, and rests his heavy hammer over one shoulder, awaiting news of where they must ride to meet these giants.
You have barely gotten into the saddle when cries of alarm go up on the northern side of town - at the northern gate as Shalelu predicted. Rushing over there, you arrive just in time to see a huge rock being hurled right over the battlements and into one of the defenders stationed there. The man is lifted right off his feet and lands on the pavement below with a sickening sound. One of the two men who were busy bringing a wagon in place to block the main road rushes over the wounded man, then Shalelu turns around and spots you arriving, "Ulm! Help him!" she shouts out and Ulm rushes over at her command. "The giants are here, two of them!" she shouts out to the rest of the group, pointing over the battlement. "Horgar can open the gate for you, but watch out, there's dire boars right on the other side, plus another one further back!" You can indeed hear them smashing their heavy, tusked heads against the gates which shudder with each impact.

Notes:
- for ease of mapping, I left out the tower that you can see on the real map.

- Ulm is inactive for the time being, until Omen gets back
- you start somewhere just off the map
- I suppose you drew your weapons etc on the way to the gate
- you can command the gate to be opened as a minor action

GO Aylmora, Kjell


Show
x walls, 25ft high (blocking terrain)
- wooden platform, 20ft up
# ladders (climbing needed to go up 20ft, DC trivial)
. ground
w wagon with h horse (give cover)
N various NPCs
S Shalelu
D double doors, barred from the southern side
% wounded NPC
1 and 2: hill giant rock throwers
3 to 5: dire boars

-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
01 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
02 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
03 . . . . 1 1 . . . 2 2 . . . . .
04 . . . . 1 1 . 5 5 2 2 . . . . .
05 . . . . . . . 5 5 . . . . . . .
06 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
07 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
09 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
11 . . . . . 3 3 4 4 . . . . . . .
12 . . . . . 3 3 4 4 . . . . . . .
13 x x x x x x D D x x x x x x x x
14 - - - - - - S - - - - N - - N -
15 . . . . # . . . . # . . . . . .
16 . % . . . . w w w h h . . . . .
17 . U N . . . w w w h h N . . . .
18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
19 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P

name.... surges hp AP.
Himdur.. 10/10. 17 1AP
Aylmora. 07/07. 16 1AP
Kjell... 12/12. 19 1AP resist 5 fire, 5 necrotic
Ulm..... 09/09. 17 1AP
Jakob... 07/07. 16 1AP resist 5 thunder, 5 lightning

Round 1
ini.name..... AC/Fo/Re/Wi. .hp/max holding... actions
18..Giant 1.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. .......... throw rock and wound NPC %
18..Boar 3... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. .......... attack door
17..Aylmora.. 23/19/24/20. .65/65. rapier.dgr
14..Kjell.... 24/22/19/18. .79/79. maul......
13..Giant 2.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. ..........
13..Boar 4... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. ..........
11..Himdur... 26/18/17/21. .69/69. whammer...
08..Jakob.... 21/20/17/21. .65/65. dagger....
06..Boar 5... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. ..........
(??..Ulm...... 25/20/17/21. .61/61. sword..... helping wounded NPC)


Mysteria, when I click on the show for the spoiler it does not open anything. Could be me, but the last time this happened to one of my posts I found out I had to remove the bold html command from my "sblock=" line. It does not seem to like you putting other code inside that command.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Should be fixed. If not, here it is again. (I think I put the preformatted tags inside the spoiler block instead of around it.)

Show
x walls, 25ft high (blocking terrain)
- wooden platform, 20ft up
# ladders (climbing needed to go up 20ft, DC trivial)
. ground
w wagon with h horse (give cover)
N various NPCs
S Shalelu
D double doors, barred from the southern side
% wounded NPC
1 and 2: hill giant rock throwers
3 to 5: dire boars

-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
01 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
02 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
03 . . . . 1 1 . . . 2 2 . . . . .
04 . . . . 1 1 . 5 5 2 2 . . . . .
05 . . . . . . . 5 5 . . . . . . .
06 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
07 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
09 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
11 . . . . . 3 3 4 4 . . . . . . .
12 . . . . . 3 3 4 4 . . . . . . .
13 x x x x x x D D x x x x x x x x
14 - - - - - - S - - - - N - - N -
15 . . . . # . . . . # . . . . . .
16 . % . . . . w w w h h . . . . .
17 . U N . . . w w w h h N . . . .
18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
19 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P

name.... surges hp AP.
Himdur.. 10/10. 17 1AP
Aylmora. 07/07. 16 1AP
Kjell... 12/12. 19 1AP resist 5 fire, 5 necrotic
Ulm..... 09/09. 17 1AP
Jakob... 07/07. 16 1AP resist 5 thunder, 5 lightning

Round 1
ini.name..... AC/Fo/Re/Wi. .hp/max holding... actions
18..Giant 1.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. .......... throw rock and wound NPC %
18..Boar 3... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. .......... attack door
17..Aylmora.. 23/19/24/20. .65/65. rapier.dgr
14..Kjell.... 24/22/19/18. .79/79. maul......
13..Giant 2.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. ..........
13..Boar 4... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. ..........
11..Himdur... 26/18/17/21. .69/69. whammer...
08..Jakob.... 21/20/17/21. .65/65. dagger....
06..Boar 5... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. ..........
(??..Ulm...... 25/20/17/21. .61/61. sword..... helping wounded NPC)
Aylmora dismounts and moves up. 

"Open the gates and let the 2 beasts in, then close them again," Aylmora calls to the townsfolk.

Crunch
Move: Dismount
Standard: Move to F15
Minor: get gate opened if nothing else
 
The gates are promptly opened ...
(Interlude)
Ulm uses the opportunity, and the money, to establish a small trading post in Magnimar. The goal is not so much to make money - he doesn't have a nose for it - but to establish a link with the Shoanti in the city, and a safe place for them.
There are Shoanti from the Ulm's own clan, the Hawk clan, the diplomats of the Shoanti, who sometimes travel through the region, but from what Ulm has seen there is much untapped potential there: be it cultural, commercial, ... He just wants to enable it and let better minds take care of the rest.

He contacts those among his people who hold him in a some small esteem still, and who are willing to look beyond his destitute status and see a man who still cares deeply for the future of the Shoanti.
He tasks them with propagating news of the existence of the trading post.
He hires someone to look after things while he's away.

And he leaves again after that, to visit his friends whose company he realizes he now craves. They have lived through so much that he feels their bond is immensely strong and deep.


When talk of errant giants surfaces, Ulm does not hesitate for a second: he knows the ancestral enemies of the Shoanti better than almost anyone (though the rock giants from the Plateau differ greatly from hill giants and their ilk), and he's not about to let them wreak havoc unimpeded.

* * * * *
(Back to the present)

Ulm scowls as is his wont at the mention of horses, and slips to Aylmora a plea to try and find one that might accomodate his weight and girth.

The monocle he hands to someone else, for he can already communicate with giants through the magic of the leather loop around his neck.


As soon as the call for help sounds, Ulm rushes over to the injured villager and does his best to bind his wounds and keep him alive.

OOC
Init: 1d20+6=14, 1d20+6=24, 1d20+6=10

I'll wait on Mysteria to tell me where he lands.

I'll upgrade Ulm soonish with the extra cash we got.

OoP's characters
My current character in Real Adventures Play-by-Post games:

 

  • Maeve in The Lost History of Istar


 
Nice to see you back.

As I didn't know how long you'd take to come back, I already put you on the map - you're the 'U' on it. The symbol right next to you is the injured NPC.
Himdur will start at H,15.

Himdur is a bit concerned about Aylmora. It seems after their time off, she is getting a bit wreckless and seems to be in hurry to rush off and into trouble. ;)

Slow down girl. Let everyone get ready before you have the gates thrown open or rush into a fight.   
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jakob prepares to blast the creatures the moment they are inside the walls.

Hold action to use Thundering Roar on the boars as soon as he has a clear shot.
Vs Fort 1d20+11=23, 1d20+11=20, 2d6+10=18 and if hit they take -2 on their attack roles until next turn

My Art | The Pathfinder Chronicle of Razimus Nonus
"The signposts are in English, so that we may read them more easily, but the place... is the twilight zone."

"Aye! Throw open the gates!" the northerner bellows, hoping to encourage the defenders with his bravado and maybe shake the giants if he is loud enough for them to hear. "We fear nothing from giants! Slain ogres and ettins have we, and killed the most terrible of trolls. No giant can best us!" He jumps down from his courser and hurries up towards Shalelu to help hold the gate.

Move: Dismount.
Standard: Move to space F16.
Shalelu goes with the first command she's given, opening the gates. The first boar rushes through and heads right at Aylmora, but does not manage to head butt her. One of the giants throw another rock, lifting another of the guards off the battlements, which sends him down, sprawling on the floor. He then rushes forward, eager to get inside himself. Finally, a third giant shows up on the scene, eager to join the fight. (that's the one I took out of the fight while Bel was busy)

Himdur starts just off the map, or at most on line 20. Same goes for Jakob.

GO Himdur and Jakob

Show

1 and 2: hill giant rock throwers
3 to 5: dire boars

-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
01 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
02 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
03 . . . . 1 1 . . . . . . . 6 6 .
04 . . . . 1 1 . 5 5 . . . . 6 6 .
05 . . . . . . . 5 5 . . . . . . .
06 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
07 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
09 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
11 . . . . . 3 3 . . 2 2 . . . . .
12 . . . . . 3 3 . . 2 2 . . . . .
13 x x x x x x 4 4 x x x x x x x x
14 - - - - - S 4 4 - - - - - - N -
15 . . . . # A . . . # . . . . . .
16 . % . . . K w w w h h % . . . .
17 . U N . . . w w w h h N . . . .
18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
19 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P

name.... surges hp AP.
Himdur.. 10/10. 17 1AP
Aylmora. 07/07. 16 1AP
Kjell... 12/12. 19 1AP resist 5 fire, 5 necrotic
Ulm..... 09/09. 17 1AP
Jakob... 07/07. 16 1AP resist 5 thunder, 5 lightning

Round 1
ini.name..... AC/Fo/Re/Wi. .hp/max holding... actions
18..Giant 1.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. .......... throw rock and wound NPC %
18..Boar 3... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. .......... attack door
17..Aylmora.. 23/19/24/20. .65/65. rapier.dgr dismoung, move, get gate opened
14..Kjell.... 24/22/19/18. .79/79. maul...... dismount, move
14..Ulm...... 25/20/17/21. .61/61. sword..... move, help wounded NPC
13..Giant 6.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. rocks..... double move
13..Giant 2.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. rocks..... shoot another N off the wall, move forward
13..Boar 4... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. .......... rush at A: miss
11..Himdur... 26/18/17/21. .69/69. whammer...
08..Jakob.... 21/20/17/21. .65/65. dagger....
06..Boar 5... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. ..........

Sorry. Missed the fact we started at the bottom.

Himdur moves forward (L,16) and then charges boar 4. (ends at I,15).



Combat Stats





















Himdur Bombur
Male, Dwarf, Cleric, Level 9

















































HP69/69Surges 17 hp, 10/10 per day
Resistancenone
AC26(+4 1/2 lvl, +8 armour, +1 Shield, +2 enh)
Fort18(+4 1/2 lvl, +3 Con, +1 enh)
Ref17(+4 1/2 lvl,, +1 Int, +1 Shield, +1 enh)
Will21(+4 1/2 lvl, +4 Wis, +2 class, +1 enh)
Saves+5 vs poison
Passive Insight23
Passive Perception18
SensesLow-light Vision













Encounter Powers
Second Wind (minor action)
Action Point
Channel Divinity
Healing Word
Healing Strike
Hymn of Resurgence
Wrathful Lightning
Used
N
N
N
N/N
N
N
N
Daily Powers
Moment of Glory
Cure Light Wounds
Armor of Dwarven Vigor
Lucky Charm
Iron to Glass
Cure Serious Wounds
Flame Strike
Used
N
N
N
N
N
N
N


















Basic Attacks
Weapon NameAttackDamage
Rousing Warhammer +1
Throwing Hammer (melee)
Throwing Hammer (ranged)
+11
+11
+11
1d10+8
1d6+8
2d6+6







 










Combat Modifiers & Notes
Can move 1 less when
forced to move.


Initiative: +6
Speed: 5 sq.
Carrying: 101/160
Action Point: 1


Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
The confines of the doorway work in your advantage, as the boars and giants are effectively stuck on the outside as long as you're blocking it. However, that only means that the giants outside refocus on throwing rocks at the defenders on the walls. Two of them are down already - one of them being tended to by Ulm (heal check/potion/healing power use required - you do have a minor and standard left from last round to do that) - and a third one only narrowly escapes being shot down as he releases his own Arrow which goes wide. Shalelu is faring a bit better as she puts a shot into one of the boars but she won't be able to keep that up for long. Behind you, the horse is starting to panic as the young man who's holding it is desperately looking from the horse to the fallen guard, not quite decided yet on what to do.

GO Aylmora, Kjell and Ulm

You might want to give the NPCs some instructions.

Show

x walls, 25ft high (blocking terrain)
- wooden platform, 20ft up
# ladders (climbing needed to go up 20ft, DC trivial)
. ground
w wagon with h horse (give cover)
N various NPCs
S Shalelu
D double doors, barred from the southern side
% wounded NPC
1 and 2: hill giant rock throwers
3 to 5: dire boars

-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P
01 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
02 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
03 . . . . 1 1 . . . . . . . 6 6 .
04 . . . . 1 1 . . . . . . . 6 6 .
05 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
06 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
07 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
08 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
09 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
10 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
11 . . . . . 3 3 5 5 2 2 . . . . .
12 . . . . . 3 3 5 5 2 2 . . . . .
13 x x x x x x 4 4 x x x x x x x x
14 - - - - - S 4 4 - - - - - - N -
15 . . . . # A J . H # . . . . . .
16 . % . . . K w w w h h % . . . .
17 . U N . . . w w w h h N . . . .
18 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
19 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
20 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
-- A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P

name.... surges hp AP.
Himdur.. 10/10. 17 1AP
Aylmora. 07/07. 16 1AP
Kjell... 12/12. 19 1AP resist 5 fire, 5 necrotic
Ulm..... 09/09. 17 1AP
Jakob... 07/07. 16 1AP resist 5 thunder, 5 lightning


Round 2
ini.name..... AC/Fo/Re/Wi. .hp/max holding... actions
18..Giant 1.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. .......... shoot next NPC off the wall: miss
18..Boar 3... 17/21/17/16. .47/85. .......... ready charge
17..Aylmora.. 23/19/24/20. .65/65. rapier.dgr
14..Kjell.... 24/22/19/18. .79/79. maul......
14..Ulm...... 25/20/17/21. .61/61. sword.....
13..Giant 6.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. rocks.....
13..Giant 2.. 21/22/22/19. .80/80. rocks.....  
13..Boar 4... 17/21/17/16. .53/85. ..........
11..Himdur... 26/18/17/21. .69/69. whammer...
08..Jakob.... 21/20/17/21. .65/65. dagger....
06..Boar 5... 17/21/17/16. .85/85. ..........

Himdur glances about seeing the injured and the few guards still up.

He yells at the guy holding the horses. Help get that man out of the way and then get your horses and wagon out of here!

You on the walls take cover.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Is Shaelu shooting in melee or is her position just not correct?
I think she is 20 above the ground and so just out of reach of the giants. and the boars have no extended reach so she is definitely out of their reach.
Wash: "Yeah well, if she doesn't give us some extra flow from the engine room to offset the burn through, this landing is gonna get pretty interesting." Mal: "Define interesting." Wash: "Oh god oh god we're all gonna die?" Mal: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
She should be up on the rampart ... Yeah, there's a bit of a disconnect there with how the gate got open. I forgot to place an NPC down there. Assume he opened them, then got the hell out of dodge.
Kjell vaults over the corner of the wagon to get in close to the ferocious boar. He swings his great hammer with all his might, but the beast's tough hide deflects the worst of the blow.

Move action:
Move to space H15. If possible, he will climb over the corner of the wagon in space G16 to avoid the OA, but if not he will move through space G15 and draw an attack from the boar.

Standard action: Brute strike against boar 4. Attack: 16 vs. AC (narrow miss); Damage: 19. The target is marked.