3.5 Idea/Questin on various areas

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay first let it be known this popped in my head after playing Fallout New Vegas... currently its a 3.5 game rulesets in a fantasy setting

For those who have played Fallout New Vegas you know that they have what is reinforced armor in leather/metal and then the various helmets. 

Well I was thinking as a small side quest/field test the party I am DM-ing for encounter a blacksmith/armorer/leather worker who either sends the party out to retrieve/find the NPC who was fieldtesting the new armor or for them to fieldtest it out

I was thinking merely granting a minor +1 to +3 to such reinforced items

Second I can't remember but I thinks its Keen Edge.... the one that increases your weapons critical range by +1... whichever it is can that be applied to arrowheads of arrows and crossbow bolts

If it's an improvement in the bonus to AC, it's not just a minor improvement if there's no downside.  It shouldn't, for example, become a better option than an equivalent piece of magic armour (people make magic armour for a reason).

You could, however, consider including some downside to offset the benefit and make it practical at a cheaper price, like a higher armour check penalty due to the reinforcement making it more cumbersome.  If you want to add a twist to the story, though, you could make the downside be something that's not automatically obvious, leading to the fieldtester getting into trouble.  For example, a flexible material used for reinforcing the joints of the armour could come from a source that is mildly poisonous (such as chitin from a monstrous insect, or fibre from a toxic plant), causing the wearer to become weak or suffer from hallucinations.

You might be interested in looking at the weapon and armour templates in the Dungeon Master's Guide 2, or the armour modifications in Races of the Wild (which includes a nice comparison table showing how the new materials in that book rate against mithral armour).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
Those are good points to consider...  I like the idea of certain material being hazardous over time or say that if tester NPC dies by an acid dragons breath the exotic elements become gaseous and affect the PC's

I remember two things that a fellow DM tested out in his campaign of which both had high hazard ratings for their collection... one was spider web silk collected from the spiders in Drow caverns and rock wyrm silk which held the tunnels together that the medium/large sized wyrms made as they ate through the rock strata... both I think were just near below leather armor which he allowed us to combine shirts and other clothe garments our chosen armor giving a +1 or +2 to AC

What if after Check my DMG 2 and Races of the Wild books later I increase for say the Reinforced Leather/Metal Armor a slightly heavier weight to them say 5 lbs extra for each additional AC max +3

Thus Reinforced Leather +3 Armor now weighs 30lbs.
What if after Check my DMG 2 and Races of the Wild books later I increase for say the Reinforced Leather/Metal Armor a slightly heavier weight to them say 5 lbs extra for each additional AC max +3

Thus Reinforced Leather +3 Armor now weighs 30lbs.

I'd recommend that you don't provide a flat improvement to the AC, since that's the primary benefit of armour, for which you put up with all its various disadvantages.  That kind of modification messes too easily with the balance of different armour types that exist, and the standard magical bonuses that improve them.  There's also the believability of that much reinforcement to consider; if you've added enough nonmagical reinforcement to a suit of leather armour to give it the AC bonus of a breastplate (which actually includes a helmet, greaves, and a light suit or skirt of studded leather according to the PHB), why isn't it just called a breastplate?

You might, however, consider some kind of limited bonus, like a +1 to +3 AC bonus that applies only against confirming critical hits.  You could either allow various degrees of improvement to be crafted/purchased, or possibly base the degree of improvement on the armour type (+1 for light, +2 for medium, +3 for heavy).

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. - Good Omens

Co-Author of the Dreamfane, Euralden Eye, Gajuisan Crawler, Gruesome Lurker, Fulminating Crab, Ironglass Rose, Sheengrass Swarm, Spryjack, Usunag, and Warp Drifter, and author of the Magmal Horror from Force of Nature.

My most popular campaign item; for all your adventuring convenience.
Zauber's Mutable Rod: This rod has a number of useful functions that make it easier to live in the wilderness. It is made of polished wood, with five studlike buttons on one end. Each button produces a different effect when pressed. Unless otherwise noted, the rod’s functions have no limit on the number of times they can be employed. When button 1 is pressed, one end of the rod produces a small flame, equivalent to a candle. When button 2 is pressed, the rod unfolds into a two-person tent, complete with bedrolls and warm blankets. When button 3 is pressed, the rod becomes a one-handed hammer, suitable for pounding pitons into a wall. When button 4 is pressed, the rod becomes a sturdy iron spade. When button 5 is pressed, the rod becomes a wooden bucket able to hold 2 gallons of liquid. Once per day, it can be commanded to fill with fresh water. If the rod is seriously damaged or broken in any of its alternate forms (button 2, 3, 4, or 5), it reverts to its basic rod form and cannot be activated for 24 hours. Moderate conjuration; CL 9th; Craft Rod, minor creation; Price 375 gp; Weight 2 lb.
You might, however, consider some kind of limited bonus, like a +1 to +3 AC bonus that applies only against confirming critical hits.  You could either allow various degrees of improvement to be crafted/purchased, or possibly base the degree of improvement on the armour type (+1 for light, +2 for medium, +3 for heavy).

Second vote for this suggestion.  Having a bonus vs crit confirmation would be a great asset, and one that would help to counter weapons that give a bonus to crit CHANCE.  Makes sense for a reinforced armor too, without being something magical like the flat 25+% chance that Fortification gear gives.

I'd also suggest you go with the hazardous materials rather than increased item weight, because anyone wearing such armor has a decent enough strength that weight load won't affect them much (or they're a dwarf), so weight carried wouldn't really matter for the majority of characters.

You are Red/Blue!

Decks:

Show
Elf Token Assault -

Saproling Army -

Cranial Crusher -

Sliver Triforce -

Sky Lords -

I wouldn't even call the +1 to armor a minor bonus. Just last night one of my PCs barbarian barley survived because the 3rd attack from a Horned Devil missed by 1. By allowing armor to be improved through blacksmiths this will dull the role of magic armor, why take a +1 minor fire resist, when you can get a +3 reinforced for significantly less.