Questions About barbarians

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay my friend has a lvl 4 barbarian, and I was wondering is it possible for his to pull of 60-70 hit on pretty much anything he hit I've look at most of the creature handbooks and most creautures at lvl 4 have about 60 health meaning he could one shot anything he is pitted against.

this is becoming stupid no encounter has any challange with him playing no matter how hard it is. the only way I can think that can stop his massive damage output is to increase creature AC above his strangth so he can hit anything. 

I really want to know if he cheated on his character sheet. 
I think you're going to have to outline how he does that 60 hp of damage minimum. I think he could be doing it legally, but he'd have to run through his daily and encounter powers pretty quick. The way to deal with him then would be to have either multiple lower level enemies, where his overkill damage is wasted, or to simply throw in an extra level 4 critter, so his auto-kill is redundant.

You may know ALL the rules, but I KNOW the Spirit of the Game.

Its possible to do that high of damage, but I wouldn't say consistantly.

I mean, his at-wills hit for something like 1d12+2d8+7 ish meaning at the very top he's doing 35 damage, which is higher than his average. His encounter and daily powers likely just swap those d8's to d12's with some extra damage (like 5-10 ish tops) here and there. Whats going to cause some spikes is extra attacks on criticals and/or something like a vicious weapon.

If he's doing 60-70 consistantly i'd argue some dice are being fudged, or he has some rediculus gear. Though a damage spike of 60-70 for burning an AP or a critical isn't too out there.   

he has played with a different group before he join mine, and he has come with higher end gear and **** loads of platium
They can get in that range with Dalies and certain encounter powers, but it will not provide enough steam to keep going and finish most encounters. Plus the average damage ammount will be noticably lower

he has played with a different group before he join mine, and he has come with higher end gear and **** loads of platium

If you let someine join your group you need to check their sheet and make certain everything is in line with your expectations. For several reasons 

This is why you generally don't port characters directly from one game to the other. It seemed his previous DM was either giving out tons of gear, or this guy is simply lying.

In essence, its not a barbarian problem, its a item problem.  
Next time I get a chance I'm going to look at his sheet and make sure that he has everything he says he has. othewise I'm going to get him to reroll and if he doesnt I will make sure he will never be able to hit anyone, and make his dnd life a living hell.
Okay his weapon is a 1D 12 + 11. is that unreasonable? I'm not sure about it attack bonus.
We're unfortunately going to need to see more than just that to make a call.

1d12+11 might be a bit high for the level.

Assuming he has a +5 Strength, he also likely has another +1 damage from Weapon Focus.

He'd need to be swinging with like +5 weapon to achieve that, unless I'm missing some other form of static damage.

He may also be making a classic mistake from switching from 3.5 to 4e in that he's adding 1/2 his strength modifier as bonus damage for wielding a 2-handed weapon.    
Okay his weapon is a 1D 12 + 11. is that unreasonable? I'm not sure about it attack bonus.

probably,  a + 5 STR, +2 enhancement, and + 2 feat bonus for a +9 static is about the most it should get to. but that is only 2 higher, so possibly another feat/feature effecting it. 
What race?

golith I believe
Goliath are one of the races with a +2 feat mod dmg racial feat, so a +9 for one is in order, and there are a couple situational modifier feats that could account for another +2 if being triggered reliably. (looking at charge/MBA bonus feats and items) 
Goliath are one of the races with a +2 feat mod dmg racial feat, so a +9 for one is in order, and there are a couple situational modifier feats that could account for another +2 if being triggered reliably. (looking at charge/MBA bonus feats and items) 

True, I always forget bracers of mighty striking or iron armbands of power, mostly because they are banned in my games.

Actually give that we've accounted for up to +9, i'm pretty sure its either the bracers or armbands. 
Still falls well short of this supposed 60-70 damage per hit.

With a 3d12+11 damage rage strike (or an equivalent daily power), the maximum damage of that is only 47 damage. Could probably add an extra few dice if he happened to roll a crit - 3d12 tops (1d12 for an executioner's axe which has the high crit property, and 2d12 for a weapon enchanted with vicious) - or a charge (like, if he's wearing a horned helm), but he shouldn't be rolling that sort of damage on any sort of a regular basis.

Which means there's either some other feat, power, item, or a combination of the three that he's using that we're not aware of, or he's fudging numbers.
Or he's not actually dealing 60-70 damage per hit but says he theoretically could - it wasn't exactly clear to me that this barbarian has actually started one-shotting things in your campaign yet.

~The Chilli God Has Spoken.

With a 3d12+11 damage rage strike (or an equivalent daily power), the maximum damage of that is only 47 damage.

There is a 4[w] daily and IIRC at least 1 3[w] encounter with 2 stats. 
But I will agree there is probably something else going on, and probably some rules "misunderstandings" due to knowledge level, the previous groups house rules, etc.

Charger build barbarians are the biggest damage he could get at this low level.

21 str, +1 vanguard execution axe, iron armbands of power, horned helm. I'm assuming his feats would be 2h weapon expertise for the +1dmg on a charge, powerful charge, and weapon focus. Maybe he's got the fey beast tamer theme?

He'd be using howling strike so that's...
1d12 brutal 2(weapon)+1d8(weapon property+1d6(power)+1d6(horned helm)+5(str)+2(iron armbands)+4(feats)+2(theme) for a total of ...

18 minimum damage or 45 max damage. Even if he's using a daily or encounter his damage stays right around there because he'd be gaining more d12's but losing all the charge bonus's.

If he's got guardian theme instead of fey beast tamer and he's action pointing every chance he gets.... he could be pulling 60-70 damage 2 rounds in a row but at that point he's also making 2 attacks a round. If he's got a warlord granting him attacks he could be consistently pumping out 60-70 points of damage a round.

This is a ton of optimizing though and most likely he's just making stuff up or adding wrong to get higher numbers.

@the OP
Even if he's cheating, but especially if he isn't screwing him over in game in any way is not the way to handle the situation. This is mostly on you for not checking his character sheet and getting some idea of what he could do before you allowed the character into your game. If you're going to punish your player you better let him get you back then because this is both your faults.
18 minimum damage or 45 max damage. Even if he's using a daily or encounter his damage stays right around there because he'd be gaining more d12's but losing all the charge bonus's.

except for the powers that can be used with a charge...

except for the powers that can be used with a charge...

And at level 4 those would be? I can't think of anything but howling strike.
And at level 4 those would be? I can't think of anything but howling strike.

acording to the compendium
There are 2 lv. 3 encounters at 2[w] with an extra bonus (Longstrike charge and daring charge) and a 4[w] daily in Heroes of the feywild
If he is a goliath using a execusion axe doesn't he have to use the weapon focus feat instead of his racial feat for the damage bonus to apply?
Get a copy of his char sheet, or summary.

Post it here, you'll get a very concise breakdown of what's possible; plus it'll give these guys a chance to peruse the items he ported over into your game.

Also, is he using house rules from another campaign? What kind of house rules are you using in yours? Does everyone have a clear and firm grasp on the rules for attacking and damage rolls and bonuses? What did you mean exactly by, "raising the monster's AC so high his Str can't hit them"? Are your players rolling to hits with d20's or using static scores + to-hit bonuses to determine if they hit or not every time?

I ask these questions because I've played a bit of LFR, and between that and some posters on these boards, I've seen some very disturbing interpretations of the rules by people who, from all appearances, don't think they're doing anything wrong.

I once played with a player who pre-rolled all of his attack rolls. He had about two dozen d20's that he would roll at once, then select them in decending order and line them up until he got down to the rolls of 13 or so, then he'd scoop up the low rolls, reroll them, and start lining those dice up too. When it came time to attack he would use the first die in the line as his roll... And he appeared to think it was totally a fine way to play.

In the end, your goal as DM should not be to thwart the PC's even when they are too successful for your liking. D&D is a cooperative game. That being said you have every right to make sure the players all have a level playing field; and until you can be sure they have it you should be taking a very meticulous look at suspicious PC's such as this... you owe all the guys at the table at least that much.
If he is a goliath using a execusion axe doesn't he have to use the weapon focus feat instead of his racial feat for the damage bonus to apply?

i think he means a greataxe. the only difference betweent them is brutal
Sign In to post comments