Victory's Herald & Fiend Hunter questions

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
2 questions:
1. If Victory's Herald is enchanted with Brink of Disaster and attacks, will its flying/lifelink ability trigger before it's destroyed from Brink of Disaster?

2. Say Fiend Hunter has exiled Blood Ogre. On my next turn, I attack with 2 creatures; 1   gets through and does combat damage, and Fiend Hunter blocks the other creature and dies. Does Blood Ogre re-enter the battlefield with the +1/+1 counter since combat damage was dealt?

Thanks!!

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

1. Both the Hearald and the Brink trigger at the same time.  The triggers are put on the stack in active plaeyr/Non-active player order, so the Brink of Disaster will resolve first.  Then the Victory herald's ability will resolve and grant flying and lifelink.

2. Assuming it was your Blood Ogre, yes it will get the counter. 
MTG Rules Advisor
2 questions:
1. If Victory's Herald is enchanted with Brink of Disaster and attacks, will its flying/lifelink ability trigger before it's destroyed from Brink of Disaster?

When Victory's Herald attacks, both it an Brink of Disaster will trigger. Assuming your opponent controls the Brink of Disaster, its ability (since he's the non-active player) will go on the stack after the Herald, and resolve first, but that won't prevent the Herald's ability from resolving, and giving other attacking creatures flying and lifelink.

2. Say Fiend Hunter has exiled Blood Ogre. On my next turn, I attack with 2 creatures; 1   gets through and does combat damage, and Fiend Hunter blocks the other creature and dies. Does Blood Ogre re-enter the battlefield with the +1/+1 counter since combat damage was dealt?

Thanks!!

Combat damage is all dealt simultaneously. Runeclaw Bear deals damage to your opponent at the same time that Balduvian Barbarians and Fiend Hunter deal damage to each other. Immediately afterwards, state-based actions are checked, and the Fiend Hunter is destroyed, due to lethal damage. Fiend Hunter's 'leaves the battlefield' ability triggers, and when it resolves and Blood Ogre returns to the battlefield, it will get a +1/+1 counter.

Of course, this is all assuming that it was YOUR Blood Ogre that had been exiled by your Fiend Hunter. If Blood Ogre belongs to your opponent, it won't get a +1/+1 counter, since Blood Ogre's controller's opponent hasn't been dealt damage this turn. 
57193048 wrote:
srs rls mgr is srs
57125208 wrote:
"If you're having defense problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 soldiers but they're just 1/1."
Both are yes.

Both Herald's ability and Brink's ability are trigger abitiles. When the trigger event happens, the ability goes on the stack and waits to ressolve. Even if the Herald is destroyed first, it's ability will still ressolve since abilities exist indepenat of thier sources.

Fiend hunter also has a trigger ability, the Ogre will be returned long after combat damage is dealt.
… and then, the squirrels came.
1. Yes. Both abilities trigger at the same time. Brink will probably resolve first[1], but it doesn't matter - destroying the source of an ability does not prevent that ability from resolving.

2. Yes. The opponent has been damaged by the time the ability that returns the Ogre even goes on the stack, much less resolves, so this is long since true by the time Bloodthirst matters.

[1] It's the Herald controller's turn, and that player probably doesn't control the Brink. Abilities will go on the stack in APNAP order and resolve in the reverse of that order. So unless the Herald player's own Brink somehow ended up on his Herald (in which case it's up to him what order they resolve in), the Brink ability resolves first.

Jeff Heikkinen

I have permanently left these forums.

Bad moderation decisions were the last straw, but there were other factors too.

But if you see this and are into tabletop RPGs and/or Final Fantasy and similar JRPGs, why not check out my site at philosoraptorgames.com?

Thanks so much for the replies! You guys answered my questions. Just for clarity though here are my original questions worded more clearly:

1. If my opponent's Victory's Herald is enchanted with my Brink of Disaster and attacks, will its flying/lifelink ability trigger before it's destroyed from Brink of Disaster?

2. Say my opponent's Fiend Hunter has exiled my Blood Ogre . On my next turn, I attack with 2 creatures; 1 gets through and does combat damage, and Fiend Hunter blocks the other creature and dies. Does my Blood Ogre re-enter the battlefield with the +1/+1 counter since combat damage was dealt to my opponent?

Check out my FREE Firefox addon: Send To Gatherer

It will send any text you highlight on any Web page to the Gatherer and open it in a popup over the current page, a new tab, or new window.

My favorite rule: 101.2

Thanks so much for the replies! You guys answered my questions. Just for clarity though here are my original questions worded more clearly:

1. If my opponent's Victory's Herald is enchanted with my Brink of Disaster and attacks, will its flying/lifelink ability trigger before it's destroyed from Brink of Disaster?

Autocard please.  You did it in your first post, but not here???

The Herald and the Brink trigger at the same time.  Since it is your opponent's turn, the Herald's ability goes on the stack first, then the Brink's.

Even though the Herald is destroyed, it's ability will still resolve.

2. Say my opponent's Fiend Hunter has exiled my Blood Ogre . On my next turn, I attack with 2 creatures; 1 gets through and does combat damage, and Fiend Hunter blocks the other creature and dies. Does my Blood Ogre re-enter the battlefield with the +1/+1 counter since combat damage was dealt to my opponent?

Yes.

Sign In to post comments