Power as MBA for shield Fighter(Weaponmaster)?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's great to have something more special than a MBA for combat challenge, granted attacks etc. but on the one class I'd expect to have an abundance, there's not much!  

Level 10 Dwarf Battlerage Fighter using a Singing Stick (mace) & Shield, I intend to keep those.
Crushing Surge & Brash Strike are my current at-wills, and are flexible.  

2-handers have Wicked Strike
free-handers get Grappling Strike
If charging, there's Threatening Rush & Knockdown Assault, or with a feat: Crushing Surge
for Combat Challenge, Brash Strike with a feat, but not charging, granted attacks, etc

Suggestions/solutions for my character, please?    
Thing is.. you don't really need one. Weaponmasters have tons of goodies they can pile over their OAs and CC attacks, without any need to resort to at-wills. At level 10 you can Push on both which actually negates the vast majority of enemy attacks, and Slow on top of it by 11.

What exactly are you looking for? Charging goodness? Granted attacks for which purpose, DPR? More THP (you still get your Con+2 as a dwarf battlerager with a MBA)?

Also, may I ask why the Singing Stick? You're wielding it mainhand with a shield, so none of its properties work for you, as you don't get the Defensive bonus unless you dualwield, which you aren't, neither is being an off-hand of any importance while using a shield. Looks like a waste to me having to spend a feat for something sub-par. If you're a Con-dwarf, hammers are way, way, waaaay better and more supported for you. DWT gives you a Craghammer which is possibly the best 1hand you could dream of. It really startles me that you picked that weapon, of all things.
Not getting MBA support with Fighter at-wills is kind of intentional - the designers have crammed an absolutely insane amount of MBA support into the fighter to make it a viable option compared to at-wills. They're not supposed to mix because you get a 3W, immobilizing, proning, slowing, dazing, CA granting monster of a power by paragon tier otherwise. Vigilante Justice Style or Wicked Strike are as good as it gets I think.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Trade your mace for a kopesh. Take Vigilante Justice Style and Heavy Blade Opportunity. You can now use fighter at-will powers for both your combat challenge and your opportunity attacks. Add in Reckless Attacker to get a free MBA if you crit, and since all your attacks (with the exception of charging) are done with fighter powers, it will trigger more often.
God, this text editor is a bunch of balls.  Anyway...

@Armisael:
3W, immobilizing, proning, slowing, dazing, CA granting monster of a power by paragon tier

If you're thinking of any particular feats etc, please let me know which ones.  

@ArelOfAikala:
At level 10 you can Push on OAs and CC attacks, and Slow on top of it by 11

Can you refer me to the feats/etc granting those?
What are you looking for? Charging?

I've actually swapped out for Threatening Rush for now, so I have a great charge-power.
Granted attacks for which purpose, DPR?

I guess you'd say it's for DPR, just a few characters in the party that give allies MBAs.
More THP (you still get your Con+2 as a dwarf battlerager with a MBA)?

More THP would be ideal, but it doesn't look like there's any way to use Crushing surge as an MBA. Dwarf Stoneblood is a great feat, yes.  

Singing Stick + Spiked shield (same as Tortoise Blade) gives +3 AC, +2 reflex, 0 armor check penalty.  See here: community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

@Twisted9:
Level 10 Dwarf Battlerage Fighter using a Singing Stick (mace) & Shield, I intend to keep those

singing stick(mace) has +3 proficiency bonus, defensive property (see above), gets extra damage on a lot of the invigorating powers, and is eligible for Hammer Rhythm (my Con is as high as Str - 20 at level 10).  

Heavy Blade Opportunity is an excellent feat, but a Battlerager can't afford to put 15 into dex.  

I don't like Reckless Attacker, crits don't happen often enough to justify the feat expenditure IMO.   

@Armisael:
3W, immobilizing, proning, slowing, dazing, CA granting monster of a power by paragon tier

If you're thinking of any particular feats etc, please let me know which ones.  

I presume he means the overwhelming impact combination (Overwhelming Impact, Hindering Shield, World Serpent's Grasp, plus a source of push (see below). Which only takes off at epic, though it is brutal before that.

@ArelOfAikala:
At level 10 you can Push on OAs and CC attacks, and Slow on top of it by 11

Can you refer me to the feats/etc granting those?

Forceful Opportunist and Shield Push respectively. There is another which immobilises with 2-handers, but I forget the feat name.

Laz

Pinning Challenge, paragon feat, requires weapon talent.
A Beginners Primer to CharOp. Archmage's Ascension - The Wizard's Handbook. Let the Hammer Fall: Dwarf Warpriest/Tactical Warpriest/Indomitable Champion, a Defending Leader. Requiem for Dissent: Cleric/Fighter/Paragon of Victory Melee Leader Ko te manu e kai i te miro, nona te ngahere. Ko te manu e kai i te matauranga e, nano te ao katoa. It's the proliferation of people who think the rules are more important than what the rules are meant to accomplish. - Dedekine
Hammering Iron for OAs and Shield Push for CC, both Heroic tier. Hindering Shield at Paragon to add a Slow until SONT on top of every push or slide granted you're wearing a shield.
Hammering Iron re-trainable into Knock-Back Swing at Epic, which works regardless of hitting or missing.

Also at Epic Overwhelming Impact to turn the Slow effect into a Daze if you're using a hammer, which is one of the reasons I was advising you towards the choice. From my experience (if you get there) having a reliable way of Dazing enemies is way more effective than a Defensive weapon.

If you don't plan to enter Epic tier, then you can work it out as it is. I still advise against having to spend two feats to have both the spiked shield and the singing stick. Believe me you won't have lots of free feats, there are INSANELY good options for fighters which are extremely hard to pass up, and dwarfs only make it harder (dwarf stoneblood, dwarven durability, stonefoot reprisal to name some).

Another option is Hammer Shock at Paragon to add Rattling (-2 to hit) on your MBAs, thus both CC and OAs.
Sign In to post comments