Sideboard Problem at FNM

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey all

Something happened at FNM tonight, and I wanted to check we handled it properly.

I had just finished Game 1 of Round 1, and I took my sideboard out of my deckbox. As soon as I did, I realised that I hadnt finished building it: there were only 11 cards (I had left my playset of Manic Vandals in the back of a different deckbox). I showed it to my opponent straight away, and explained to them what had happened. I then added 4 basic lands to my sideboard, to take it up to 15 cards (showing the lands to my opponent to prove they werent anything else), and then I proceded to sideboard as normal for our second game.

While all this was happening, I sent a message to the TO/judge (who was downstairs) via another  player, explaining what had happened. When the TO came back upstairs to collect the results I explained it to him in person. He wasnt entirely sure that we had handled it correctly, but since my opponent had been happy with the resolution, he didnt take it any further (besides suggesting I post here).

Since this was just a small FNM, was it correct to simply correct the situation without any additional penalty? (I was already missing out on having any artifact hate in my games for the evening...)
I obviously wasnt trying to gain any advantage from having insufficient cards in my SB (like trying to sneak cards in after I found out what I needed), since I made my opponent aware of the issue straight away (they hadnt asked to count it - we never do). Just checking...

Cheers

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Technically, the proper course of action would have been to call the Judge/TO first and waited until he arrived before explaining things and proceeding with the fix. But there's nothing wrong with the fix itself--if I were the judge being called, that's almost certainly the fix I would have recommended.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yeah, besides having the judge handle it, that seems fine. That's probably what I would have done too.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

Thanks zammm. 
EDIT: and Hardtrack.

~ Tim

Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Well, you did the right fix, and you got a judge, just not in the ideal order. I guess you could call that out-of-order sequencing? Laughing It's legal now...
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
If this had happened at a higher level REL, would there be a penalty involved?

If this had happened at a higher level REL, would there be a penalty involved?

Yes, a game loss (in addition to probably the same fix used in this thread). But not normally at FNM, especially for a first offense.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Just to clarify Re: calling a judge.

My FLGS is split over 2 levels, with the shop floor downstairs (with 2 gaming tables), and the rest of the gaming area upstairs. The owner is the TO and judge, and runs the store single handedly, manning the shop counter as well as coming up and down the stairs to run the tournaments. Understandably this means we often fend for ourselves, only actually calling for a judge when something big/bad happens, or if we cannot resolve a rules dispute ourselves. Myself and some of the other more rules-savvy players are on hand to answer rules questions as they arise, and even when we need a ruling, it is often one of us that looks things up on the store PC for the TO.

In an ideal world we would just put our hands up and there would be a Judge beside us within seconds, and we could detach ourselves completly from the process, but being a small store we have to compromise. As long as we are getting to the right result, then thats good enough for me (and its good to know that in this case we did).

Cheers!

~ Tim
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
In that case, might I recommend that some of those rules-savvy players take a Rules Advisor test, talk to the TO, and actually start acting as proper judges for your events? After all, that seems to be pretty much what they're doing already...

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Especislly you, LMTK (what does that stand for, btw?) I know you've been around here for some time, and I wager you could take the test for whatever level is needed. Laughing
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
How much paperwork does it require, anyway?

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

How much paperwork does it require, anyway?

Becoming a rules advisor?  None.  You go to the judge center and click "Take rules advisor exam" (theer's actually a few more clicks than that, but you get the idea.)

Or do you mean to make someone the judge for an event?  Also none.  In the Wizards Event Reporter software, there's a box where you enter the name of the judge(s) for the event.  That's it.  If no one is designated as head judge, that duty falls to the TO (tournament organizer) by default, but he can assign it to anyone else insetad.

Now becoming an actual certified Level 1 (or higher) Magic judge, takes a bit more than that.  But you need some experience judging small events before you can get certified, and it's not required but wouldn't hurt to pass the Rules Advisor test also.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
Especislly you, LMTK (what does that stand for, btw?) I know you've been around here for some time, and I wager you could take the test for whatever level is needed. Laughing

It stands for LordMalekTheRedKnight (which is too long for some forums, hence the abbreviations). Its an old screen name from when I posted a lot on GW/40K forums.

As to becoming a Rules Advisor, I have passed the (30 mins) practice tests a few times, but the proper test is an hour long. Getting an hour to concentrate on one thing is quite tricky with 3 kids in the house, unfortunately - when I get a chance to study up and then give the test my undivided attention I will do so.

Im not sure whether it will change how events are run at the FLGS however... (I dont think the TO would want to give up the helm, so to speak)

~ Tim
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
Sign In to post comments