01/20/2012 LD: "Hooked on a Feeling"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Like your articles, hopefully you'll be in charge of them from now on haha. As for the card, hasn't it been previewed somewhere else already? Unofficial I suppose.

I get that the ability is expensive because it's reusable removal, but with soo many "Sac a human" cards out there, especially in black so far, are there really gonna be that many humans around to sac? Without going White human tokens of course. I just don't understand where all these humans will be coming from. Maybe with time all will be revealed, but it's a small set and I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, as much as I want to. Yay for tribal wolves either way, now if only there were enough devils to make a devil themed deck, and the up coming 1CMC Devil won't even be a turn one drop without killing himself ... /sigh.
and the up coming 1CMC Devil won't even be a turn one drop without killing himself ... /sigh.

Er Yes it will, it can hit players too
Like your articles, hopefully you'll be in charge of them from now on haha. As for the card, hasn't it been previewed somewhere else already? Unofficial I suppose.

I get that the ability is expensive because it's reusable removal, but with soo many "Sac a human" cards out there, especially in black so far, are there really gonna be that many humans around to sac? Without going White human tokens of course. I just don't understand where all these humans will be coming from.

I guess that's the point, right? Humans are going extinct, it's getting hard to find your recommended daily allowance of victims if you're a demon or vampire these days.  It's awesome when the flavor of the setting plays out in individual games.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
It just struck me how thematically similar Scars of Mirrodin block is to Innistrad in some ways; it makes sense though, since the whole 'Phyrexians corrupt you and take you over' was explicitly inspired by the Zombie horror theme.

The good guys will win this time though. Smile

Edit: I would play him 100% of the time in limited even if I was always just going to sacrifice himself. Getting any extra value out of him is just gravy.
and the up coming 1CMC Devil won't even be a turn one drop without killing himself ... /sigh.

Er Yes it will, it can hit players too

When Forge Devil enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to target creature and 1 damage to you.

I like the art of all Skirsdag cards, and this is not an exception. What is good about this dude's ability is the non-conditionality of the removal. At worst, he's 4BB destroy target creature, which shouldn't be too bad for limited. But with all the human token makers we've seen so far, he can reliably be repeated removal for 4. 

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Cycles are left conspicuously incomplete. As the Werewolves, Spirits, Zombies, and Vampires thrive upon their tribal allegiances, Innistrad's Humans find themselves lacking comparable tools. Taken together, these tactics convey a certain feel that creeps in on you after you've played the set for awhile. Don't get me wrong—the Humans still have some weapons in reserve.

Sigh.

So Mikaeus was monowhite instead of WG.
The Mythic werewolf isn't Legendary leaving Werewolves without a commander.
Now you're saying GW doesn't get an uncommon tribal lord or mythic creature? 

Why do you hate green so much?

I like the art of all Skirsdag cards, and this is not an exception. What is good about this dude's ability is the non-conditionality of the removal. At worst, he's 4BB destroy target creature, which shouldn't be too bad for limited. But with all the human token makers we've seen so far, he can reliably be repeated removal for 4. 

At worst he's a 1B target player chooses a creature removal spell and discards it
Cycles are left conspicuously incomplete. As the Werewolves, Spirits, Zombies, and Vampires thrive upon their tribal allegiances, Innistrad's Humans find themselves lacking comparable tools. Taken together, these tactics convey a certain feel that creeps in on you after you've played the set for awhile. Don't get me wrong—the Humans still have some weapons in reserve.

Sigh.

So Mikaeus was monowhite instead of WG.
The Mythic werewolf isn't Legendary leaving Werewolves without a commander.
Now you're saying GW doesn't get an uncommon tribal lord or mythic creature? 

Why do you hate green so much?

You may be reading too much into this. Think Odyssey (balanced) into Torment (heavily unbalanced) into Judgment (inverting the imbalance). I think Avacyn Restored may attempt to qualify the missing elements of the flavor.

Also, where were you when Vorapede showed up in the Image Galley, or Thrun, the Last Troll in the last block, or Vengevine in the one before that, or Primeval Titan (the best of the titans) in the Core Set?
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
You may be reading too much into this. Think Odyssey (balanced) into Torment (heavily unbalanced) into Judgment (inverting the imbalance). I think Avacyn Restored may attempt to qualify the missing elements of the flavor.

Also, where were you when Vorapede showed up in the Image Galley, or Thrun, the Last Troll in the last block, or Vengevine in the one before that, or Primeval Titan (the best of the titans) in the Core Set?

Oh, it's not a gameplay/power level complaint, it's a flavor complaint. MaRo always talks about how important people/faces are. But green and people just don't seem to fit well together.

When Sorin is released, how many of the multicolored planeswalkers are green? 1 out of 7. 1 out of the 15 colored symbols present there.
When Time Spiral had a cycle of legends that weren't printed until that point, for RG they had to go to Stonebrow, Krosan Hero, the only one of the cycle that had never been mentioned on a card before. 

My beef is with Green's relation with the faces of the game/story, Planeswalkers and Legendaries.
(Scars didn't lack in this department though, as you mentioned already, with Thrun and Melira and Glissa)

Now I would be perfectly fine with the way it is (except for the Werewolf which should just be Legendary) in Innistrad IF they never gave us the idea the humans were the 'GW tribe'. That set up expectations. I don't think Avacyn's Restored would indeed have the GW cards, that would be too much like Judgment. Then again, the game is going for so long, it has to repeat itself from time to time. 

Oh, it's not a gameplay/power level complaint, it's a flavor complaint. MaRo always talks about how important people/faces are. But green and people just don't seem to fit well together.

When Sorin is released, how many of the multicolored planeswalkers are green? 1 out of 7. 1 out of the 15 colored symbols present there.
When Time Spiral had a cycle of legends that weren't printed until that point, for RG they had to go to Stonebrow, Krosan Hero, the only one of the cycle that had never been mentioned on a card before. 

My beef is with Green's relation with the faces of the game/story, Planeswalkers and Legendaries.
(Scars didn't lack in this department though, as you mentioned already, with Thrun and Melira and Glissa)

Now I would be perfectly fine with the way it is (except for the Werewolf which should just be Legendary) in Innistrad IF they never gave us the idea the humans were the 'GW tribe'. That set up expectations. I don't think Avacyn's Restored would indeed have the GW cards, that would be too much like Judgment. Then again, the game is going for so long, it has to repeat itself from time to time. 

I get what you're saying, and agree with you, then. Note, however, that that same cycle of legends produced Saffi Eriksdottir, which saw constructed play in pro lists. Then it was Gaddock Teeg. The first was good flavor, and extremely evocative: People cared more for Balthor than for Stonebrow in the story. The latter, on the other hand, was in a story with extremely limited ...he was some dude Colfenor talked to that one time).

GW is my favorite color pair, even if I tend to play WB more, and especially BGW; it embodies the stronger aspects of my personality more than any other colors/pairs, and thus is resonant to me, so I feel what you are saying. But I think R&D won't print too many powerful Green cards to encapsulate this feeling of evocativeness because it's getting a lot of them in the constructed and power categories.

Green is also very hard to structure as an individual (Rhys was a servant in search of sometyhing to belong to, and otherwise just survived -- he was otherwise horribly uninteresting and stiff in design ... the Vendillion siblings were SOOO much more interesting) so Green tends to be paired to aquire dimensionality so that the individuality makes more sense for a reader to care about.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Sure, humans might feel like they're vital individuals with lives and families and dreams and futures, capable of producing cultural artifacts and meaning-intensive narratives and everything else. That's cute. But more importantly, they're a sustainable source of food. Pinker, squishier pigs in pens of reinforced stone.

Brilliant. Another well-written article. It felt short, but the quality of it was great. It felt like you said so much with less words than other writers. Obviously not a good thing if you're paid by the word, but I appreciate it! 

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Sign In to post comments