More than one planeswalker in a deck?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can you have more than one planeswalker in a deck or is it limited to one planeswalker per deck?  Also, if multiple planeswalkers are allowed, can you have two different named planeswalkers out at the same time?

What about the rules concerning legendary cards?  How many in a deck and how many different ones out at a time?
With regard to deck construction, you can have 4 each of any card that's legal in your format (oh, and basic lands + Relentless Rats can have more than 4). It is irrelevant what that card's characteristics are or what other cards your deck has.

There can be any number of planeswalkers on the battlefield at a time, as long as they all have different planeswalker types. But if there are two or more with the same planeswalker type, both are put into the graveyard. For example, you are welcome to have one Ajani, one jace, one Sarkhan, one bolas, etc, all on the battlefield at the same time. But as soon as your opponent plays another jace, both jaces go to the graveyard.

There can be any number of legendary cards on the battlefield, as long as they have different names. As soon as two or more legendary permanents with identical names are on the battlefield, both are put into the graveyard. Note that the names must be exactly the same: Kamahl, Pit Fighter and Kamahl, Fist of Krosa can coexist just fine, because their card names are different.

EDIT: fixed some links

Wrong...

From the WoTC web page on Planeswalker....

https://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/rules/planeswalkers

"Each planeswalker has a subtype. For example, Sarkhan Vol says "Planeswalker — Sarkhan" on his type line. If a player controls two or more planeswalkers that share a subtype, that player chooses one to keep and puts the rest into their owners’ graveyards."

...a player NOT players. Player is an indervidual... players is plural, many (all). So two players can both have the same planswalker out; but they both can't have a second one out at the same time without choosing which one to sacrifice.

Not that both players planswalker of the same type that are destroyed.

I got this direct from the WotC web site... and you’re meant to be a rules advisor...

And this is exactly why people are advised to start new threads instead of bumping old ones. cyphern wasn't wrong. At the time he made that post (two years ago), the rule was that, if there are two or more planeswalkers with the same planeswalker type on battlefield at the same time (regardless of who controls them), all of them go to the graveyard. This rule was changed in the Magic 2014 rules update, last summer. Now, it applies separately to each player, so that it's okay for different players to each have one planeswalker with a given planeswalker type.

#1 - Don't Necro old threads.

#2 - ESPECIALLY don't Necro old threads to simply repost a ruling. (2 years old, what's wrong with you?)

#3 - SUPER-INCREDIBLY ESPECIALLY don't Necro old threads whose rules were changed between the original post and yours now. The rules WERE that Legendary Creatures and Planeswalkers were counted between both players (so you couldn't both have Jace Beleren out at the same time, nor Akroma, Angel of Wrath). The rules were recently changed to make it that you could.

So what gives?

And this is your first post too? SERIOUSLY? You sign on just to find a time when cyphern was wrong or something?

Man, what is it with this rash of people making their first ever post a massive thread necromancy with zero merit?

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

and you’re meant to be a rules advisor...
Rules advisor, not timelord. I havn't passed that test yet

cyphern wrote:

and you’re meant to be a rules advisor...

Rules advisor, not timelord. I havn't passed that test yet

I lol'd.

Bro, do you even Autocard?

Autocarding: [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

Showing somebody how to autocard: [c[b][/b]]Cryptic Command[/c] = [c]Cryptic Command[/c] = Cryptic Command

So two players can both have the same planswalker out; but they both can't have a second one out at the same time without choosing which one to sacrifice.
Furthermore, this is wrong. A player will not sacrifice one planeswalker if they have two with the same type out (nor destroy one), one will simply be put into their graveyard.

Rules Advisor

Gr8 b8 m8 I r8 it 8/8!

New Players Click Here
This board uses a feature known as Autocard. It allows you to tag a card or group of cards and link them directly to the Gatherer for easy reference.

Here's how it works: Say I start a discussion about Lightning Bolt. It is well and fine for people who are familiar with Lightning Bolt and everything Lightning Bolt does.

Suppose somebody doesn't know what this card does.

I can autocard like this: [c]Lightning Bolt[/c] and it appears to everyone like this: Lightning Bolt.

You can do the same thing to an entire decklist at once by using [deck] and [/deck] at the begining and end of your list respectively.

This will make your decks easier to understand and get you better responses.

Here are some useful links to get you started:

Building Your First Deck

The Rule of Nine

Magic: The Gathering Rules

Magic: The Gathering Formats

Tips & Tricks

Catotheyounger wrote:
Back when I was in high school, I used to write little quotes on the whiteboard of my chemistry class, little, funny things that I'd made up and attributed to an anonymous author. Just tiny things I found amusing. Some time near the end of the year, a substitute teacher came in, read it, and told us a quote she had heard from a 13 year old girl. I don't remember what it was, but the quote sounded deep and philosophical. Then I actually thought about it. I realized that the quote was actually meaningless, but simply couched in the language of philosophy and depth. And that's what your post is. It is meaningless bull**** that you said in such a way as to make it seem sophisticated. But just as a lab coat doesn't make you a scientist, language won't make you a philosopher. Only love of wisdom will. And until then, you will always remind me of a nameless 13 year old girl.