D&D in the News - The return of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

D&D in the News
The return of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
2012 January 19
by Michael Tresca

On April 17, 2012 Wizards of the Coast will reprint the original Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rulebooks.

Talk about this news here.

This is a good move. Very classy.
Why are these only being released in North America? I live in the UK and i'd like a copy of all of them! 
Probably a test run o see what is popular and what sells.

Fear is the Mind Killer

Great news,

As it is a tribute to the great E Gary Gygax, who helped bring the greatest game to the 4 corners of the world, there is no way that WOTC can just sell in North America.

The new friendly WOTC team, should be making sure that all D&D fans can get their paws on copies.
Was really hoping the memorial would be the statue from the AD&D Players Handbook but other than that I'm very happy to hear this news!
IMAGE(http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/SoulCatcher78/techdevil78.jpg)
Probably a test run o see what is popular and what sells.

Yeah, I can see them reprint the core books of a few editions.
Why no mention of Arneson, though? He always seems to be left out.
Why are these only being released in North America?

It's been nearly 28 years since AD&D was last printed, and as a work created in 1977, it has to be reprinted every 28 years for WotC to maintain the copyright.

It's that simple.  They know they won't be able to make money on this printing, which is why it's a limited run in the US only: the bare minimum to maintain their ownership.

It's cute that WotC wants to play it off as a tribute to Gygax, and it's darling that the guy who wrote the article the OP links to thinks this heralds some kind of good-natured, because-we-love-the-players support for older editions.  Fact is, this book is being printed so they can keep sending cease and desist notices to people who try to put up copies of the original rules on the web, rules which would otherwise compete with their own newer products.
They wouldn't have hit the 28 year mark on 1e until 2016. Unless you think they stopped printing 1e products altogether in 1982. 
They wouldn't have hit the 28 year mark on 1e until 2016. Unless you think they stopped printing 1e products altogether in 1982. 

I believe the last print run of the 1e core books was in 1984 or 1985, which would put it right at the 28 year mark.
Just stepping in to add a little clarification.

According to The Acaeum, The 1st edition Player's Handbook's 17th printing was in July of 1990.  That would put 28 years at around 2018.  Similar data can be found for the Monster Manual (15th printing in July 1989) and the Dungeon Master's Guide (14th printing in July 1990).

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

All around helpful simian

Just stepping in to add a little clarification.

According to The Acaeum, The 1st edition Player's Handbook's 17th printing was in July of 1990.  That would put 28 years at around 2018.  Similar data can be found for the Monster Manual (15th printing in July 1989) and the Dungeon Master's Guide (14th printing in July 1990).

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

Thank you. Bad form on DT there. Really bad form.
Thank you. Bad form on DT there. Really bad form.

Not bad form. Only incorrect information.

I do not believe Damon was attempting to misinform anyone. He merely did not have accurate information. Because his information was inaccurate, his conclusions were as well.

However, it may be that his conclusions are still accurate -- this action *does* effectively renew the copyright for another 28 years. But the powers that be may have recognized the PR value of linking this re-release to the memorial fund this year (and perhaps D&D's 40th anniversary next year) rather than waitig the six more years they could have.

Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
This is great news! As an avid collector of RPG books, this will be great to add on the shelf. I have AD&D 2nd edition, and it will be great to have these orginal 1st edition AD&D books in a brand new fashion! I think if WOTC reprinted some stuff here and there from AD&D there might be an interested market for this material. It's nice to know that it supports Gygax too, the father of RPG games.
I would have to say it is a marketing scheme to get money which is what its been about after they gave Gygax the boot. I my self would not mind having the classic books grace my shelf once more with all this talk of a 5th edition just @#$@ makes me mad. 1 st was a good edition a great basic rule set which had some options added later. 2nd more simple but had its good quality's a revamp of classes but adding skills and kits 3rd and 3.5 integrated skills fully and added a new bit to the mix feats which i also liked. and 4th with is powers fore all and its very simple classes reduced to a grouping of powers and had themes added like the kits of old and now 5th and the money train keeps rolling. I mock this company and all of these people i know a company is to make money but due to your own idiocy have shot your self in the foot with this 4th and are about to put out a another. It is a sad thing to see a company fall grasping at what it can as it goes. I will see if this 5th is as they say but to mask this printing as any thing else than what it is offends me and tarnishes the name of Gygax.
I was trying to locate some original AD&D books a while back and was amazed that even on Ebay and other discount sites, the original books (in good condition) sell for a fortune.

From the article link in post 1:
Customers will have to make that justification on their own; the Player's Handbook and Monster Manual MSRP is $34.95 and the Dungeon Master's Guide retails for $44.95.

Seems pretty steep, But I think I'd really like having mint condition books. The ones I have now are totally trashed from being bought in like 1984.

You may know ALL the rules, but I KNOW the Spirit of the Game.

I was trying to locate some original AD&D books a while back and was amazed that even on Ebay and other discount sites, the original books (in good condition) sell for a fortune.

It depends on the printing and condition. 
The later printings do not go for the same ammount. 
I think I paid like $20 fpr my redbox a couple years ago (in goodcondition including the dice), but my Rules Cyclopedia cost me $60. 
Plus the stores (buy it now sellers) charge high, as eventually someone will buy it. 
It's cute that WotC wants to play it off as a tribute to Gygax, and it's darling that the guy who wrote the article the OP links to thinks this heralds some kind of good-natured, because-we-love-the-players support for older editions.  Fact is, this book is being printed so they can keep sending cease and desist notices to people who try to put up copies of the original rules on the web, rules which would otherwise compete with their own newer products.

As the author of the article, I find your misplaced confidence in your inaccurate information adorable.
As the author of the article, I find your misplaced confidence in your inaccurate information adorable.

Exactly how much of the proceeds from each of these books will be going toward the memorial fund?

I really like this idea. I've said they should do this for a while. White wolf is doing it with their discontinued game lines and people are downloading PDFs of it to play anyway. I'd much rather have a real copy.
Sign In to post comments