+1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
i am curious as to how counters works can any kind soul please explain it to me tyvm.:D

say a creature with persist dies, it comes back into play with -1/-1

i add a random +1/+1 counter on it. Does i take away both the counters or does the +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters stay on the creature.

I also need to when does the taking away of the counters happen assuming it does.

Say a 3/3 creature with a -1/-1 counter on it.
(Equivalent to a 2/2 creature).

My opponent lightning bolt it, can i immediately add a +1/+1 counter on it to neutralise the -1/-1 counter so it comes back into play with a -1/-1 counter again?

Tyvm for any help rendered.

If a creature has both +1/+1 counters and -1/-1 counters on it at the same time, N counters of both types are removed, where N is the lesser amount of the two. So if a creature has 5 +1/+1 counters on it, and it gets two -1/-1 counters on it (say, from a Black Sun's Zenith), 2 counters of both types will be removed, and it will end up with only 3 +1/+1 counters.

If your opponent casts Lightning Bolt on your creature with Persist, you may, in response, add a +1/+1 counter to your creature with an ability or Instant spell. After that spell/ability resolves, both the -1/-1 and the +1/+1 counters are removed as a state-based action, all before the Lightning Bolt has resolved. The creature dies due to lethal damage, and returns due to Persist, since it didn't have a -1/-1 counter on it at the time of death.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

-1/-1 and +1/+1 counter on the same permanent eliminate each other as a state-based action.

Yes, if you Battlegrowth an Aerie Ouphes with a -1/-1 counter on it in response to a Lightning Bolt, the battlegrowth will resolve, and add the +1/+1 counter. Then, before people get a chance to respond to the lightning bolt again, the counters will both disappear.
All Generalizations are Bad
Whenever a player would get priority (ie, before they can play anything), -1/-1 and +1/+1 counters cancel each other out.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
I have a similar question, but with regards to modular creatures.

I have an Arcbound Stinger in play and my opponent plays a Contagion Engine.

Since it would be a 0/0 creature the moment the -1/-1 counter is put on it, does it keep it's +1/+1 counter to give to another creature, or do they negate each other before it hits the graveyard?  
There are actually two state based actions here.
1. a creature with 0 toughness needs to go to the graveyard.
2. an object with both a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter need to have them removed.

They are all handled at the same time, as opposed to individually, so when the creature is put into the graveyard it technically still has a +1/+1 counter (and a -1/-1 counter) so you will be able to add a +1/+1 to another creature with the modular triggered ability.
MTG Rules Advisor
So is it possible to kill undying through -1/-1 counters?
So is it possible to kill undying through -1/-1 counters?

From the Dark Ascension FAQ:
* If a creature with undying that has a +1/+1 counter on it receives enough -1/-1 counters to cause it to be destroyed by lethal damage or put into its owner's graveyard for having 0 or less toughness, undying won't trigger and the card won't return to the battlefield. That's because undying checks the creature's existence just before it leaves the battlefield, and it still has all those counters on it at that point.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

thanks
Just a reminder, adding the -1/-1 counters has to be done all at once.  

You can't keep a Strangleroot Geist that has a +1/+1 counter on it in the graveyard by
playing two Choking Fumes, but you can kill it by using Grim Affliction.
Just a reminder, adding the -1/-1 counters has to be done all at once.  

You can't keep a Strangleroot Geist that has a +1/+1 counter on it in the graveyard by
playing two Choking Fumes, but you can kill it by using Grim Affliction.

What if your Strangleroot Geist has already triggered a +1/+1 counter from undying previously and it gets a -1/-1 counter from a spell or say infect before dying to something like a creature with power 1 or more or spell? Wouldn't that make the Geist a 2/1 again and in effect the +1/+1 counter would be negated by the -1/-1 counter? So the Geist would trigger Undying agan?
The only thing that matters is if the creature had a +1/+1 counter on it right before it died. If you find a way to remove the +1/+1 counter from the Geist (either through some spell or ability or by adding a -1/-1 counter to it), its ability would trigger again when it died.

Do note that if, for instance, the Geist with a +1/+1 counter on it had two -1/-1 counters added to it, undying will not trigger. When the Geist last existed on the battlefield, it had a +1/+1 counter on it (it doesn't matter that the +1/+1 counter was being removed by a state-based action at the same time), so it would not return.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

i have a question about the +1/+1  counter removal....... what about if a creature has a +1/+1 counter an it became a targer of let's say oblivion ring does it remove the +1/+1 counter on it? does the counter return with the creature if i destroy the oblivion ring?
when a card changes zones (in the case of Oblivion Ring from the battlefield to the exile zone) it forgets everything it was before, and all counters are removed

there are of course exceptions

next time if you have a question please open a new thread, it is better visible that way
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments