Player Issue, not game related

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I am in about 3 different campaigns at the moment. I DM one, and am a player in two others. Now I'm not one to believe everything I hear, but one of the people I play with made mention to me that one of the players in my group is/has stalked this girl I know. Now I don't really know how to handle this. He is a bit socially awkward, but no more so than other people I play with, at least I thought so.

What should I do? Should I talk to him about this? Is it a non-issue since its not any of my concern? 

Ant Farm
Does he have an affinity for solo lurkers?

(I'd say leave it alone.)

No amount of tips, tricks, or gimmicks will ever be better than simply talking directly to your fellow players to resolve your issues.
DMs: Don't Prep the Plot | Structure First, Story Last | Prep Tips | Spoilers Don't Spoil Anything | No Myth Roleplaying
Players: 11 Ways to Be a Better Roleplayer | You Are Not Your Character     Hilarious D&D Actual Play Podcast: Crit Juice!

FREE CONTENT: Encounters With Alternate Goals | Full-Contact Futbol  |  Pre-Gen D&D 5e PCs | Re-Imagining Phandelver | Three Pillars of Immersion | Seahorse Run

Follow me on Twitter: @is3rith

Well, you should probably first confirm his suspicions by asking other people. The girl in question being numero uno. 
Do not approach the situation without any hard evidence on the matter. Word of mouth only works if multiple people have seen it happen as well. Ask other people if they know anything about it first.
Unless these are "good friends" let it ride. It's not your business.

Although I consider my gaming circle to be friends, they're not really my closest, and if I'd caught wind of something like this I wouldn't think it my place to act on it. If she's aware of it, she'll address it. The other friend is aware, and he can address it with the accused and the girl.

Stay out of it. 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

So I am in about 3 different campaigns at the moment. I DM one, and am a player in two others. Now I'm not one to believe everything I hear, but one of the people I play with made mention to me that one of the players in my group is/has stalked this girl I know. Now I don't really know how to handle this. He is a bit socially awkward, but no more so than other people I play with, at least I thought so.

What should I do? Should I talk to him about this? Is it a non-issue since its not any of my concern? 

Chinese whispers can do a lot of damage if not treated carefully. I'd ask the girl in question if she knows the supposed stalker and see if see gets uncomfortable about the guy, if she does then it may be obvious that she is aware of the stalking from the guy in question and ask her if he's become a problem.
If again she explains she has an issue with him, maybe ask if she's got a handle on it? If she does then its in hand and you can stay out of it.

If not then it's a whole new ballgame.

Still overall be careful with the rumors because they can be very damaging and you could end up in the midst of a S#@t storm of grief and issues.  However I think doing the whole ostrich thing is not acceptable, particularly if something actually happens to the girl.
Generally its a bad idea to get involved in someone elses personal problems.  If you aren't close enough to the girl to know that she was being stalked then it probably  isn't your place to get involved.  If he's not the sort of person you like it seems more appropriate to rremove yourself from any game he's involved with
This girl, she isn't in your group, is she?

I don't know the best way to handle it, but it seems to me like stalking is one of those problems that you can't just bury your head in the sand about.  It is one of those behaviours where it isn't addressed by someone, it could lead to certain... things not appropriate for this forum.

It might be best to see what kind of evidence your other player has for this, and if it looks more or less solid, it might be prudent to talk to the girl about it, particularly if you give a crap about her well-being.
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/
Don't discount the possibility that the news is exagerated, or that nothing at all will come of it. Anyhow, if you're genuinely worried, then access the situation carefully before making it an issue.
I find that the word stalker is thrown around generously. Here are some things to consider:
1. The guy has a crush on her, and people are making fun of him for it - no reason to get involved.
2. The girl doesn't have a problem with the guy following her around - mind your own business.
3. The girl does have a problem with him, but she doesn't need/want your help/interference - another mind your own business case.

Easiest way to find out is by casually asking her instead of secretly plotting to reprimand a guy who could be doing nothing wrong.
This girl, she isn't in your group, is she?

No she's not. 

Actually had a conversation with her about this by chance. One of the people on her floor was being very creepy, knocking on her door for ten minutes straight and then walking into her room to sit on the floor and watch anime. And then she said "At least he wasn't as bad as [player in my campaign]" who waited outside her dorm for her to come out and also looked in through her window to see if she was home.

Ant Farm
waited outside her dorm for her to come out and also looked in through her window to see if she was home.

As a former Police Officer (and a former college student), my feeling is that: every college student has done that in some manner, it has nothing to do with your game, and it's none of your business. If D&D players were shunned by other D&D players every time they were perceived as being creepy by some girl, D&D would probably never get played (which would probably cause creepy players to get creepier due to lack of socialization).