WUB attempt at control (newcomer to standard and comp play)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello there so i know this isnt really a rate deck but i am trying to make a somewhat decent comp/cas build.  I doupt i could win any FNM with this build so i am here to ask for some possible additions.

I sadly am semi poor and cannot go out and get individuals but i have quite a stock of M12, i really just want some sugesstions of possible cards to help my cause.

UWB- control (at least i am trying to)

4-[C]Mana leak[/C]
4-[C]doom blade[/C]
4-[C]oblivion ring[/C]
2-[C]Day of judgment[/C] (i know i need 4)
2-[C]white sun's zenith[/C]
2-[C]personal sanctuary[/C]
2-[C]grand abolisher[/C]
4-[C]ponder[/C]
4-[C]Gideon's lawkeeper[/C]
3-[C]Gideon's Avenger[/C]
3-[C]Royal Assassin[/C]
1-[C]Gideon Jura[/C]
1-[C]Jace, Memory Adept[/C]

4-[C]glacial fortress[/C]
1-[C]isolated chapel[/C]
1-[C]Darkslick shores[/C]
7-[C]plains[/C]
6-[C]swamp[/C]
5-[C]island[/C]

I feel as though the lawkeeper+Royal Assassin combo i could do without (mainly the royal assassins).   I really enjoy the way that the lawkeeper plays despite the fact that most would nod it away.  i really love my blue despite the small numbers within this deck, and i hate being stuck to the one card draw when instead i could plan a little ahead.

I do wish that i had more double lands to make my plain lands less numerous. 

A second Gideon i think would be great, although having the two differing walkers is interesting in my experience.

Despite the Mirrodin set (scars, besieged, NP) in the coming seasons i really want a [C]Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite[/C] as even a 7 drop she is still very valuable against smaller token decks, another answer i have for that is the [C]Suture Priest[/C] and that plus white sun gives me a decent life gain.

I know some [C]snapcaster mage[/C] would be a great idea, and for a 2 drop it is quite an amazing card.

Any help would be great, as i would like to take this to FNM as well as beating my friends (who have money and event decks to build off of)

P.S. if this is the wrong forum (or subforum) i apologizes, i read the "read this first" post and after no responses for some time i moved it to a thread.
for a beginner this is terrible actually. but...I would get rid of the jace first. and get more duals. those are really critical. I would suggest not running straight doom blade but doing some sort of split between doom blade and Go for the Throat. I would also recommend Disspate its a really good counter specially with all the graveyard shennanigans. While I'm not going to tell you NOT to I dont suggest running royal assassin or lawkeeper mainly because everyone is running Geistflame or Gut Shot now adays and I dont see them last very long. Also dont run four Day of Judgement. thats alot. and if you manage to get your hands on some snapcasters those wouild be wonderful
 also get rid of the sanctuaries, you could sideboard them but i wouldnt recommend even that. You dont really need to worry about that unless your facing UR or RDW or something with R pretty much. so ya in short

+duals
+more versatility between counters and kill spells
 -x/1's too easy to kill. specially in this aggro meta where everyone is running stuff to get rid of them
- Jace. your not milling.

if youd like I could post another version of your deck you could run without going super expensive but adding more control elements and hopefully making it more consistent. hope i helped.   

Photobucket
for a beginner this is terrible actually. but...I would get rid of the jace first. and get more duals. those are really critical. I would suggest not running straight doom blade but doing some sort of split between doom blade and Go for the Throat. I would also recommend Disspate its a really good counter specially with all the graveyard shennanigans. While I'm not going to tell you NOT to I dont suggest running royal assassin or lawkeeper mainly because everyone is running Geistflame or Gut Shot now adays and I dont see them last very long. Also dont run four Day of Judgement. thats alot. and if you manage to get your hands on some snapcasters those wouild be wonderful
 also get rid of the sanctuaries, you could sideboard them but i wouldnt recommend even that. You dont really need to worry about that unless your facing UR or RDW or something with R pretty much. so ya in short

+duals
+more versatility between counters and kill spells
 -x/1's too easy to kill. specially in this aggro meta where everyone is running stuff to get rid of them
- Jace. your not milling.

if youd like I could post another version of your deck you could run without going super expensive but adding more control elements and hopefully making it more consistent. hope i helped.   

i would love to see what you have, and i thank you significantly for your in put.  I know it was a lot of reworking and i was surprised when i won 2 of 5 at a FNM at a faily advance group.  
Hello there so i know this isnt really a rate deck but i am trying to make a somewhat decent comp/cas build.  I doupt i could win any FNM with this build so i am here to ask for some possible additions.

I sadly am semi poor and cannot go out and get individuals but i have quite a stock of M12, i really just want some sugesstions of possible cards to help my cause.

4-Dissipate
4-[C]Mana leak[/C]
4-Snapcaster Mage
3-[C]doom blade[/C]
3-Go for the Throat
2-[C]oblivion ring[/C]
2-[C]grand abolisher[/C]
4-Think Twice
2-[C]Spellskite[/C]
2-[C]Gideon Jura[/C]

Not gonna do the lands cuz ill prolly do it wrong.
this way you have more cancels and you can just surprise WSZ at their EOT. Take it as you will its all your call.
Photobucket
You don't need 4 md days of judgment.  But cut the following:
-royal assassin
-personal sanctuary
-the gideon's creatures
-the abolishers

Now, add in some think twice, titans, and forbidden alchemy, and snapcaster mage. 

I only wish i had kept the one titan i recieved in this color scheme but i have most of the others.  Thank you

4-Dissipate
4-[C]Mana leak[/C]
4-Snapcaster Mage
3-[C]doom blade[/C]
3-Go for the Throat
2-[C]oblivion ring[/C]
2-[C]grand abolisher[/C]
4-Think Twice
2-[C]Spellskite[/C]
2-[C]Gideon Jura[/C]

Not gonna do the lands cuz ill prolly do it wrong.
this way you have more cancels and you can just surprise WSZ at their EOT. Take it as you will its all your call.

This looks very do-able I have quite a bit of New Phyexia, although the innistrad cards will give me some trouble.  I look forward to this assembly and am very greatful for the help you have given.