Flayer of the Hatebound

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I made a Black reanimator Vintage deck with Flayer of the Hatebound, but wasn't sure how to calculate some of the damage.  I defeated my opponent on turn 3 but am not sure how much actual damage was done ;)

Turn 1:
I play a swamp and Dark Ritual into Buried Alive putting 3 Flayer of the Hatebound into the graveyard.

Turn 2:
I play a swamp and Exume one of the Flayers.  4 damage to my opponent.

Turn 3:
I play a swamp and Victimize my Flayer, target the other two in the graveyard and win.

Now, how much damage was actually done?
A.  If Victimize resolves fully before Undying is activated on the first Flayer, then I believe the damage is (4 * 2) + (4 * 2) + (4 * 3) = 26

In this case the two Flayers enter together each triggering for themselves and each other (4*2 twice) and then the original one comes back and is triggered by all three.

OR

B.  If Undying resolves before the Victimize does, then I believe the damage is 4  + (4 * 3) + (4 * 3) = 28

In this case, the first comes back by itself (4 damage) and then the other two come in each triggering all three (4 times 3 twice). 

Which is the correct outcome?
Or is it neither?

Thanks in advance!

So I made a Black reanimator Vintage deck with Flayer of the Hatebound, but wasn't sure how to calculate some of the damage.  I defeated my opponent on turn 3 but am not sure how much actual damage was done ;)

Turn 1:
I play a swamp and Dark Ritual into Buried Alive putting 3 Flayer of the Hatebound into the graveyard.

Turn 2:
I play a swamp and Exhume one of the Flayers.  4 damage to my opponent.

Turn 3:
I play a swamp and Victimize my Flayer, target the other two in the graveyard and win.

for autocard

Flayer:

Undying
Whenever Flayer of the Hatebound or another creature enters the battlefield from your graveyard, that creature deals damage equal to its power to target creature or player. 4/2

Alright.

Turns 1 and 2 appear to check out. Beginning of turn 3, you have a 4/2 Flayer on the field.

You cast Victimize. You choose the 2 Flayers in your graveyard. You sacrifice the Flayer on the field. Undying triggers, but does not go on the stack. You put the 2 Flayers onto the battlefield. Each sees the other and itself entering, so each of them trigger twice, dealing (4*2)+(4*2)=16.

Undying is put on the stack, and presumably resolves. All 3 Flayers see him enter, with a +1/+1 counter, dealing (5*3)=15 damage.

Assuming you dealt 4 damage on turn 2 and your opponent only has 20 life, Undying would never enter the stack (because your opponent would have already lost by then).

Otherwise you deal a total of 35 damage.
Cannot be relied upon^
Thanks for the quick reply!
Sign In to post comments