01/19/2012 FtL: "Vanishing Act"

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab article, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.

So...a card named Sudden Disappearance isn't an Instant?  Doesn't sound very sudden to me.
5W: What blockers?

...and that's pretty much all this card will ever do.
The very first card I thought of when I saw this thing was Sundial of the Infinite ... drool, mean, and will probably evoke a concede on the spot.
contrary to the article, if you exiled all your allies , unless your opponenet is also playing allies there are none on the battlefield for jawari shapeshifters to copy, he'll still count towards total triggers but won't be able to " enter play as a measly Hada Freeblade, but after a Disappearance it can return as a Warlord."
This card does a LOT. It gives you a one-turn window into ANY defense, whether or not it involves creatures; removes all counters from your opponents permanents (or your own! depending on what they are); kills all token creatures; untaps all your permanents; triggers all your comes-in-to-play triggers.

Looking at it as an all-time-great board disruption spell, it might be about a mana too slow for constructed. Looking at it as a build-around-me card ... it shouldn't be too hard to make this say "I win" over and over again.

At a minimum, this will be a staple of free-for-all multiplayer for ages to come.

This card makes me want to get back into casual constructed for the first time in over a year.
Another use for this card is negating the drawback on Hunted creatures (while simultaneously letting them get past blockers).
The very first card I thought of when I saw this thing was Sundial of the Infinite ... drool, mean, and will probably evoke a concede on the spot.

I did the same. But then I reread Sudden Disapperance and realized it says "at the beginning of the next end step". So I guess you can't exile their permamanents forver with this 2 card combo.

You can still make them play their turn without permantents.... If you can reliably find a recursion for this sorcery, you can do that ad nauseum, which is a really mean thing to do.

Still, there should be a way to brek the interaction of this with Sundial of the Infinite...

EDIT: my bad. Apparently it works. D:

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
That interaction works. You allow the "return everything" delayed trigger onto the stack, then you exile the trigger with the sundial. This is literally a seven mana exile all nonland permanents target player controlls.
Yeah.. another bulk rare. And the best thing we can say about it is that with the help of a marginally playable magus it acts like a white plaguewind.

Well the not so sudden disappearence is not even usable in commander as a political action card because of the sorcery limitation on it.
Bet it started out as a 5 mana instant......Smile then they tried it and (probably) would have been better of cutting it.

Well if we are going to do this, let's play it out. Sundial of the Infinite does work here.

1) Cast Sudden Disappearence targeting your opponent.
2) When the endstep trigger is on the stack, end the turn by activating sundial

I think that will be the last action from Sudden Disappearence as it triggered when it was supposed to.. the next endstep.    
A good method of getting rid of tokens.  Sadly it is also in the color utilizing most of the tokens anyway.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Yeah if you need a Leyline of Anticipation for a card to work well, chances are it's not that great a card... 
I mean if you use it on your own turn, you get rid of their blockers, but so does Sleep at two mana less.
And if you want ETB triggers, use Ghostway... 
In the life particles deck if you're using Words of Worship as a singleton you might as well play a one-of Well of Lost Dreams...Just saying
What's the point of printing cards like this exactly? It will never ever be played in limited OR constructed. Not. A. Single. Time. ANYWHERE. Perfect definition of a bulk rare.

Do they really make these cards just to appeal to casual Johnnies who can make a deck using them in an imaginary non-existent format to get their "creativity juices" flowing?

There's just.. No point to this article or to this card.. I get that it's part of their marketing strategy to appeal to all sorts of players, but this is just tilting..

What's the point of printing cards like this exactly? It will never ever be played in limited OR constructed. Not. A. Single. Time. ANYWHERE. Perfect definition of a bulk rare.

Do they really make these cards just to appeal to casual Johnnies who can make a deck using them in an imaginary non-existent format to get their "creativity juices" flowing?

There's just.. No point to this article or to this card.. I get that it's part of their marketing strategy to appeal to all sorts of players, but this is just tilting..

Casual isn't imaginary or non-existant. It's the most played format in the world and accounts for a massve chunk of mtg revenue. So yeah they really do design some cards just to appeal to casual players.

Pretty sure this could be played in limited too, to remove blockers for a turn or blast tokens (which will be common in DA limited). It isn't one with nothing.