Sacrifice Creature + Activate Ability

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all,

If my opponent summons a Gatekeeper of Malakir (during casual play) and I am forced to sacrifice one of my creatures, if I sacrifice Fume Spitter may I also use his sacrifice ability to put a -1/-1 counter on his Gatekeeper?

Thanks,

Jason
You can sacrifice your fume spitter during the resolution of Gatekeeper of Malakir's ability. Or you can sacrifice it to pay the cost of activating it's ability. You can't do both.
All Generalizations are Bad
If my opponent summons a Gatekeeper of Malakir (during casual play) and I am forced to sacrifice one of my creatures, if I sacrifice Fume Spitter may I also use his sacrifice ability to put a -1/-1 counter on his Gatekeeper?

When gatekeepr of malakir enters the battlefield, it's ability triggers (assuming it was kicked). If you wish, you can respond to this ability by using fume spitter's ability. However, responding in this manner does not satisfy the gatekeeper's ability. When the gatekeeper's ability eventually resolves, you will have to sacrifice some other creature (unless you have no creatures).
No you cannot. You cannot sacrifice one creature to two effects. You can either sacrifice the Spitter to its own ability or to satisfy the Gatekeeper's trigger, not both at once (note that if the Spitter was your only creature, you could respond to the Gatekeeper's trigger by sacing the Spitter to put a counter on the Gatekeeper. Since you don't control any other creatures, then you wouldn't have to sac anything).

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

When gatekeepr of malakir enters the battlefield, it's ability triggers (assuming it was kicked). If you wish, you can respond to this ability by using fume spitter's ability. However, responding in this manner does not satisfy the gatekeeper's ability. When the gatekeeper's ability eventually resolves, you will have to sacrifice some other creature (unless you have no creatures).

When you say respond to this ability, do you mean play Fume Spitter's ability while his Gatekeeper of Malakir is still on the stack durring summoning?

So hypothetically, if Fume Spitter's ability was -2/-2 instead of -1/-1, if my opponent casts his Gatekeeper (and kicks it), it gets put on the stack, then I play Fume Spitter's sacrifice ability, it gets put on top of the stack... it resolves first eliminating his Gatekeeper before it resolves? Wait that doesn't work because his Gatekeeper is still a spell and not a creature yet, correct?
You can't cast spells or activate abilities during the resolution of a spell or ability.

There are two exceptions.
1) the spell/ability instructs you do do so eg. Brilliant Ultimatum, cascade, Djinn of Wishes
2) activating mana abilities to pay mana costs required for the resolving spell/ability eg.Rings of Brighthearth

so you can use Spitter before, but you'll still have to sac a creature to gatekeeper if you have one
or you can sac Sitter to the Gatekeeper effect.

Regarding your followup question.

Gatekeeper's ability triggers after he enter the field (so he is on the field as a legal target for Spitter)

Note: destroying/bouncing/exiling Gatekeeper will not remove the triggered ability (though Stifle could)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

If you have ONLY ONE creature and that creature is Fume Spitter, 
then it is a very good idea to sacrifice it to put a -1/-1 counter on Malakir.

But if you have more than one creature, you WILL have to satisfy Malakir's sacrifice,
whether or not you use Fume Spitter's ability.

Sorry we had to increase taxes: my limo needs new tires. (eh! they were at least two weeks old)

When you say respond to this ability, do you mean play Fume Spitter's ability while his Gatekeeper of Malakir is still on the stack durring summoning?

No, i meant wait until the gatekeeper enters the battlefield and his triggered ability gets put on the stack. If you respond while the gatekeeper is still on the stack, then the gatekeeper is not a legal target for fume spitter's ability.
Wait that doesn't work because his Gatekeeper is still a spell and not a creature yet, correct?

Correct.

So hypothetically, if Fume Spitter's ability was -2/-2 instead of -1/-1, if my opponent casts his Gatekeeper (and kicks it), it gets put on the stack, then I play Fume Spitter's sacrifice ability, it gets put on top of the stack... it resolves first eliminating his Gatekeeper before it resolves? Wait that doesn't work because his Gatekeeper is still a spell and not a creature yet, correct?

He's not suggesting to use the fume spitter when the gatekeeper is one the stack. He suggesting that you use the ability after the gatekeeper has resolved, while it's triggered ability is on the stack.

He's not suggesting to use the fume spitter when the gatekeeper is one the stack. He suggesting that you use the ability after the gatekeeper has resolved, while it's triggered ability is on the stack.

What a crucial, fundamental difference. Let me see if I have this correct. So, when Gatekeeper summoning resolves, then it's triggered ability is now put on the stack, in which case I am given priority to respond (or is it still my opponent's priority?). If, as an earlier poster said, I only had Fume Spitter on the battlefield, I could play his sacrifice ability and put that on the stack. It would resolve, allowing me to put a -1/-1 counter on one of his creatures, and then Gatekeeper's triggered ability would not resolve.
So, when Gatekeeper summoning resolves, then it's triggered ability is now put on the stack

Correct
in which case I am given priority to respond (or is it still my opponent's priority?).

Since it is your opponent's turn, your opponent gets priority first. He then passes priority to you and you get your chance to respond to the triggered ability.
If, as an earlier poster said, I only had Fume Spitter on the battlefield, I could play his sacrifice ability and put that on the stack. It would resolve, allowing me to put a -1/-1 counter on one of his creatures

Correct.
, and then Gatekeeper's triggered ability would not resolve.

Close. It will resolve, but it won't have any effect (it's instruction is impossible to follow).
Both players get priority before any spell or ability resolves. The player who just cast a spell or activated an ability gets priority immediately after casting it. If that didn't just happen, the active player gets priority first.

Sacrificing your fume spitter won't prevent the gatekeeper's trigger from resolving. If the gatekeeper's trigger resolves when you don't have any creatures, it won't do anything, but that doesn't mean it didn't resolve. 
Once a kicked Gatekeeper resolves, it enters the battlefield, at which point his EtB ability will trigger, likely targeting you. You will get a chance to respond to this ability by sacrificing your Fume Spitter, targetting a creature of your choice (perhaps the Gatekeeper). If that was your only creature, then after your Spitter's ability resolves, the Gatekeeper's ability will resolve, but since you do not have any creatures to sacrifice, you do nothing and move on with the game.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Thank you all for the replies.

My friends and I are now one step closer towards being not complete n00bs. lol
Sign In to post comments