Which jedi were active during the Rebellion Era

Besides Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Luke Skywalker, what other jedi were active during the Rebellion Era? (Episodes 4-6)

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

This is a list of a number of Jedi - I hesitate to say all - who survived up until, according to the page, 1 BBY.  starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Jedi_Purge  It's about 80% of he way down the page.  
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
I don't really recongnize any of those names...

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

I read that list with a mixture of pride and shame.  On one hand, I knew almost every name on it.  On the other hand, I knew almost every name on it. 
"And the TL;DR award goes to Raul Torin!" - CorranHornIsAwesome Official SAGA Edition Errata Dawn of Defiance Other Articles Thanks to GreySword for compiling these
I read that list with a mixture of pride and shame.  On one hand, I knew almost every name on it.  On the other hand, I knew almost every name on it. 

I thankfully only recognized about 15-20.
I don't really recongnize any of those names...

That's good. Suffice it to say, there were dozens in the EU. The ones you mentioned in your opening post are the ones that matter. The rest you can use/not use and/or make up your own.

There's also one who was active named Mox Splatter. You've never heard of him either. ;)
Rahm Kota is a good Jedi to use for an Rebellion adventure.
*Shakes head* WAY too many.
*Shakes head* WAY too many.

Have you ever played a StarWars roleplaying game set during the Rebellion era and not had a least one "Jedi" type character in the party who isn't a movie character?

Basically every writer is going to be the same way and because they usually don't use other people's characters they end up creating their own "Jedi" who then worms his way into canon.  If we're honest the Rebellion era would be extremely dull if the only light force users alive where the ones in the movie.  Not having any Jedi alive during the Rebellion era would also translate into a big delay moving into the New Republic/New Order eras as all the Jedi would be young and need to be trained up by the one remaining master.

If we're honest the Rebellion era would be extremely dull if the only light force users alive where the ones in the movie.

I disagree.  Saying that presumes that Star Wars cannot be fun without Jedi, which I feel is untrue.

If we're honest the Rebellion era would be extremely dull if the only light force users alive where the ones in the movie.

I disagree.  Saying that presumes that Star Wars cannot be fun without Jedi, which I feel is untrue.

I agree.  I have a regular group of players, and only once has any of them played as a Force user in Saga.  We prefer the seedy underground of crime and rebellions, rather than be Jedi.

I'll partially agree with your disagreement of my earlier statement.  I'll definitely agree that the game can be fun without any Force Users.  On the other side of things is there really anything else besides the Force that distinguishes StarWars from any other setting?  Without Force Users you could still have a great campaign but would it be so different from a Firefly or Battlestar Galactica game run with the same rules?  Admittedly those setting may have their own feel but they'd work just fine in the StarWars galaxy with very little adjustment.

On the other side of things is there really anything else besides the Force that distinguishes StarWars from any other setting?  Without Force Users you could still have a great campaign but would it be so different from a Firefly or Battlestar Galactica game run with the same rules?

I believe the difference would be the same as the difference between, say, a Firefly and Battlestar Galactica game.  The rules, which are practically all about combat, aren't going to need to change much to accomodate different settings where people mostly shoot at each other.  I mean, if you keep perspective of role-playing games as a whole, the difference between DnD 3.X, D20 Modern, and the three D20 SWRPGs, mechanically speaking, is practically non-existent.  Even 4E isn't that different when comparing to other games like Heroes, Vampire: TM, or CODA.  D20 is versitile, and simply because it could cover other settings that doesn't mean that the Force is necessary for the Star Wars version to be sufficiently distinguished.
Steven wasn't talking about the system, he was talking about the setting as it were. Basically saying, Star Wars - Force = Farscape/Firefly.

I think we all basically get the point he made, and we can all agree and disagree. While he's right, the Force does make Star Wars different from a 'standard' sci-fi/Space Opera, if you take all the Dagobah and Luke vs. Vader scenes out of Empire Strikes Back, it's still the best movie of the 6.
Steven wasn't talking about the system, he was talking about the setting as it were. Basically saying, Star Wars - Force = Farscape/Firefly.

He did talk about the rules, but I disagree either way.  To say that implies that Farscape and Firefly are not that different.  It is claiming that Star Wars - Force = Farscape = Firefly = Battlestar Galactica = Babylon 5 = Star Trek = Andromeda = .... To go back to StevenO's examples, I feel that Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are far more different than Star Wars and Firefly are.  Honestly, when I think of "standard" Sci-Fi/Space Opera settings, the first two that come to mind are Star Wars and Star Trek.
Enough already!  Perhaps I overstated when I basically said "StarWars isn't StarWars with some kind of 'Jedi' presence," but there's no need to drag it out.  There is some opinion involved in that statement but it helps explain why there are so many Jedi during the Rebellion Era in various canon sources despite the movies basically saying there are no more Jedi.  An author in the era wants a "Jedi" so the story feels more connected to StarWars but doesn't, or can't, use one of the stars so he just makes his own.

When it comes to comparing StarWars to other franchises I'll agree there are differences and similiarities.  Most of my Battlestar Galactica history is with the old version which hasn't been refreshed for decades so the newer versions nitty, gritty version isn't all that familiar; I consider the old version to be Space Opera while the newer verion is more Sci-Fi.  I did get to watch much of B5 and enjoyed it; parts of SAGA would work there but there are other areas that would need a bit of reworking.  As for Firefly, a few changes I could easily see that has an alternative Han Solo adventure although it lacks the Force.  Star Trek (Sci-Fi) vs. Star Wars (Space Opera) is a battle best avoided. 
You don't have to explain why there are so many Jedi in the Rebellion era. "EU is garbage" pretty much sums it up...
You don't have to explain why there are so many Jedi in the Rebellion era. "EU is garbage" pretty much sums it up...

Now I'd say there is a little problem with the summary.  I think almost everything you'll ever do with the SWRPG would be classified as "Extended Universe" and I certainly don't want to call all of that garbage.

Totally uncalled for!  EU is awesome, but I'd agree that EU set in this era is generally poor.
Something to think about: in RotS, Obi-Wan and Yoda risk their lives returning to the Jedi Temple so they can change the transmitter telling all the Jedi to return to Coruscant. This implies that there are other Jedi out there.

The EU may have named a lot of Jedi active in the Galctic Civil War, but remember that at its height, the Jedi Order had 10,000 members. Even if only 1% survived until the Rebellion era, that would still be 100 Jedi.
Josh Cheesman - journalist and Star Wars fan. Visit the YBtC Hall of Fame to see the winners of the Praxeum's regular You Build the Character competitions. Need roleplaying stats for a miniature you're using in your Star Wars game? Try the [Saga] Star Wars Miniatures RPG Stats thread. Check out the The Great Mess Hall Food Fight, the Star Wars thread that can't be derailed. Any and all discussions welcome! I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast.
Something to think about: in RotS, Obi-Wan and Yoda risk their lives returning to the Jedi Temple so they can change the transmitter telling all the Jedi to return to Coruscant. This implies that there are other Jedi out there.

The EU may have named a lot of Jedi active in the Galctic Civil War, but remember that at its height, the Jedi Order had 10,000 members. Even if only 1% survived until the Rebellion era, that would still be 100 Jedi.

Where are these 100 jedi during the rebellion era? Does Luke later manage to find them?

Where are these 100 jedi during the rebellion era? Does Luke later manage to find them?

I'd guess that Luke does manage to find many of them IF they wanted to be found at all.  But look at the various situations:

1.  Order 66 and the Inquisition would bring up all kinds of trust issues with any of the old order Jedi.  They may have survived getting betrayed one (order 66) and perhaps even a second time (when some turncoat tries to hand them to the Inquisition) so do really think they are going to be so willing to trust another?  These "Jedi" may not want to be found.

2.  If you were "outed" as a Jedi who "did nothing" while the Empire ran amok how do you think people would take that?  Laying low may have been the only way to stay alive but are the people who "the Jedi swore to protect" going to be so quick to forgive your inaction while they were persecuted?  Maybe Luke can "find" these Jedi but they choose to remain out of sight to avoid political problems and perhaps the appearance of corruption within the Jedi Order.

3.  The game may not have retraining rules but some of the surviving Jedi may have felt/been so abandoned by the Force that they completely turn their backs on the Force and the Jedi ways.  This group is a lot like the first but the sense of betrayal is different.  You could say that this group "retrained" all their "Jedi" abilities and while they were "Jedi" they no longer are.

4.  A final thing is that if you look at raw numbers if you say that just 100 Jedi survived Order 66 and the Inquisition you may need to spread those survivors out over the entire galaxy.  Sectors contain many planets and yet each Sector may only have a single Jedi survivor if that.  Some survivors may be cut off from the rest of the galaxy for whatever reason and would need physical rescue if anyone even know where they were.   

Wow, StevenO. I don't know if you realize it, but those are some great campaign story ideas!

Wow, StevenO. I don't know if you realize it, but those are some great campaign story ideas!

They are story ideas that have been around for ages although it may be hard to see the StarWars connection with the given era.

The Jason Bourne series is at least partially an example of someone who's been burned too many times to trust anyone again.  The memory loss doesn't help there either.

When it comes to not wanting to show your face you can just look at politics for examples of that.  If someone goes down in disgrace the new order really doesn't want to be seen as a continuation of that disgrace but they might still learn something from the old timers.

The "I did/was accused of/allowed horrible things in the past," is actually a fairly common theme.

A young Jedi named Darth Vader helped the Emperor hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights. During the Rebellion Era the Jedi are all but extinct.  

Order 66 was said to be almost completely effective. Personally, I would say maybe 100 or so survived Order 66, after that Vader's purge would have hunted them down to single digits. Going by Force Unleashed for example (which leads right into the Rebellion Era), you have Obi-Wan, Yoda, Rahm kota, Kazdan Paratus and Shaak Ti. That's all that was left on Vader's hitlist to my knowledge. Any remaining Jedi besides them would have been sufficiently off the radar to be presumed dead (like Kenobi was), or was trained before their master was purged (like Maris Brood)

Remember too that there's 19 years between Order 66 and the Rebellion Era.  A lot of the "Jedi" character concepts from early West End Games material were of PC Force Sensitives that were trained by Force Users who were subsequently killed by Vader. Others still were self-taught.

In short, as I said earlier, use the names that you recgonize and/or like and ignore the rest, or make up your own surviving Jedi. My one Jedi Ccharacter's backstory had Rahm Kota as his master, so he was exempt from Order 66. Kota started his own little guerilla war against Vader and said my character wouldn't surivive it so they parted ways. Worked out really well.

Now I'd say there is a little problem with the summary.  I think almost everything you'll ever do with the SWRPG would be classified as "Extended Universe" and I certainly don't want to call all of that garbage.

If by "do" you mean, any Star Wars RPG you every write or participate in, no. Expanded Universe is Published works. Star Wars RPGs are Fanfics. And yes, I've read and participated in a number of fanfics that were better than a lot of the crap that's in the EU.

So in that regard, no. I'm not slagging Star Wars RPGs by saying EU is crap. I liken EU to Anime; there is some really good stuff in there, but you have to wade through untold piles of derivitive garbage to get to it.
When I played the original West End Star Wars game, mostly as a GM, I made it clear you really can't play a jedi except Luke Skywalker because the canon said all the jedi are DEAD and the Empire was so powerful they would hunt down your first level character in no time while putting your friends in danger. The game had to parallel the movies.

Later I had my epiphany and got it through my head that the Star Wars Role playing game let us play Star Wars as we wanted even if that might mean it would be our group that takes down the Empire, not that we got that far. The point is it's the Star Wars universe but not nessesaritly THE Star Wars universe. The fact that the Expanded Universe (which, I assume, is canon) introduces events, people and concepts the original movies never addressed shows there's actually a lot of room in the galaxy. The concept for all jedi being wiped out except for two guys shows absolute focus on a particular story and the very tight cast of characters involved. This is a case of the universe... well, a particular galaxy, revolved around just a few people and nothing happened unless they are involved.

Quite frankly I find it more reasonable that many jedi could be out there fighting the good fight either secretly or openly and get away with it because the galaxy is that vast. As we have experienced in many stories the Empire is so huge it falls over itself and can't see it's own backside. Even during the war there could be jedi assisting the Alliance but the movies centered entirely on the Main Characters.

So I have no problem with other jedi out there with their stories to tell and I now have absolutely no problem anymore with player character jedis writing their own legends. 

I've always imagined way, way more Jedi than that.  The galaxy is an almost unimaginably huge place.
Something to think about: in RotS, Obi-Wan and Yoda risk their lives returning to the Jedi Temple so they can change the transmitter telling all the Jedi to return to Coruscant. This implies that there are they hoped there were other Jedi out there.

Fix'd. 

"Heard from no one, have we."

Yes, the galaxy is huge. But there weren't that many Jedi to begin with. Many were killed in the war prior to ROTS. And those that were left faced some huge problems even if they survived Order 66: Their locations were known, they lost all their access to money and equipment, they had few if any friends outside the Jedi Order and the GAR, they were publically declared enemies of the state by a regime that soon proved it would use lethal force against anyone who stood in their way or helped their enemies, and oh yeah, Darth Vader had 19 years to track them down and kill them before the "Rebellion Era" actually begins.

It's entirely possible that by the events of ANH, Kenobi and Yoda were the only Jedi left alive in the galaxy. Even if not, a Force sensitive child was much more likely to be identified and trained by the Empire than by a rogue Jedi drifter. Kenobi and Yoda knew of Luke and Leia's existence and where to find them when the time was right. Other Force sensitives weren't in that position.

That's not to say it's impossible to have a Jedi type in a Rebellion era game. After all, the Sith managed to survive and find apprentices for a thousand years while keeping a low profile. But it's a tough row to hoe, and Jedi can't use ruthless methods to protect their anonymity when necessary. Their risk of exposure would be correspondingly greater.
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
"I've always imagined way, way more Jedi than that.  The galaxy is an almost unimaginably huge place."

Star Wars was an odd duck in the realm of extreme space opera. It expresses nearly everything in HUGE proportions then turns around and trivializes other aspects as if the universe was focused on a local level. In a galaxy of probably trillions of sentient inhabitants ten thousand jedi seems unreasonably small. A war raged in a battleground of millions of stars yet the battles were few fought with fleets of ships that could have been fielded by a few planets and the war is decided by four individuals and two droids! This could have all happened on a single world involving continent hopping and still have enough grandeur.

The Clone Wars saga, both the movies and the animated series showed much more was going on throughout the galaxy and the focus on the main characters was actually a very small, if heroically important, part of an overall event. Great battle were fought on thousands of fronts and jedis other than Obi wan and Anakin were contributing to the tides. Obviously even a long running tv series can't show everything happening but the concept of a larger picture was there.

That's why I say there's more going on than what the limitations of a focused story expresses. There are seeds of rebellion everywhere, some stronger and more important. There are still jedi out there fighting a shadow war. Even when the Rebel Alliance surfaces both it and jedis still fight guerilla wars for some time on many, many locales. A jedi survives by being mobile and secretive and choosing their allies well. Even Obi wan and Yoda might not be aware of other jedis but are well aware there are powerful offspring of Anakin who could be the only ones able to take on their father when they are old enough and trained (though Yoda did sound like he had already given up completely). The movies showed all focus on Luke mainly because Darth knew what he was and made him far too important. That doesn't mean there weren't other jedis rising, they just weren't important compared to obsessing over his son. Luke survived for years now exposed, why couldn't other jedis do the same especially if now backed by the Alliance? And they never have to meet Luke since there's too much gong on for so few to band together. Luke may have met other jedi then each go back to their assigned task with a May the Force Be With You. It would be smarter to keep them separate to strike many fronts. No one knows Luke will be the Savior so he's just one more. Other jedi have become used to fighting alone for the past couple decades.

So let there be more jedi both vets and a padawans. Their deeds can have as much impact at the other side of the galaxy as the Battle of Yavin the difference being someone else is telling these other heroes' stories. If you're following the official story you don't win the final encounter but still make important contributions and hear the news concerning what recently happened above Endor. If the game you play focuses on the players then their adventures may actually leave Luke behind and have them finally defeat the Empire maybe on the strength of more than one jedi facing Vader and the Emperor.
Don't forget that there were several organizations and traditions meant to keep the Jedi spirit alive.  The Agents of Ossus was one (started by a Padawan who survived Order 66 and Operation:  Knightfall), and the School of Hidden Wisdom was another (created by a older man who left the Jedi Order).

On the other hand, the FUCG states in it's section on the Force that many Jedi went underground and never resurfaced.  Maybe they had families and didn't want to endanger them, or they lost the spirit of the Jedi ways and couldn't motivate themselves to return.  Thus, there are Jedi in the galaxy, but they sit at home and do nothing.

Winner of the You Make the... Contest #9: Jedi Padawans Winner of the You Build the Character#33:  EU Bounty Hunters Winner of the You Build the Character #37:  The Empire Strikes Back Winner of the "Ultimate Dream Builds #1: The Underworld" I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Exactly! There was the episode of Clone Wars in which a trooper gets stranded on a world and decides he's done with the war and killing. He has a wife and family. 

We kind of have this mythical concept that all jedis are religiously loyal to the Order and will do anything to uphold the jedi way. If fact we see many stories about burned out jedis, jedis who succumb to the dark side and jedis who just walk off in need of discovering themselves and what the universe means to them including Luke Skywalker needing to understand the dark side. Many jedis mentioned in this thread are the heroic and loyal ones. Unfortunately many of those are the ones who didn't know to 'keep their heads down'. The ones we're interested in are of the old and bold persuasion who survive and grow in the jungle of the Empire.
Sign In to post comments