D&D Next Subforums - What do you want to see?

As you might have noticed, the conversations on the next iteration of D&D, what people like about previous versions, what people want to change or add and all sorts of other D&D Next related conversations have kind of blown up around here :P Definitely a good thing.

Now we didn't want to create subforums for the conversations and possibly force the conversation in certain directions, but now that things are moving it looks like we need some clear divisions.

I have some ideas that are very basic such as:

• Creating a subforum for official news and moderated forum conversations with the design team

• Creating a subforum that focuses on what you liked from previous editions and want to see in the next itteration

• Creating a subforum for feedback on any official news, announcements, or sneak peaks.

Now those are just some ideas, and they may be too general, or they may be perfect but in need of adding a few more. I didn't want to move too far forward without talking to people here and seeing what you wanted as far as subforums go.

So please, tell me what you want to see. Keep in mind that we probably don't want too many subforums as we don't want to fracture the community or confuse the conversations too much, but I'm open to all suggestions!

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

It seems pretty obvious that Playtesting Feedback would need its own subforum.
I like the idea of subforums, but I don't know how many of them would be too many.

Join the Zendikar D&D Campaign Setting group: discover the fantastic world and contribute to make Zendikar a playable setting!
   - Warning! Spectacular visuals and lore ahead! ... Take a look...
Play-by-Post and my D&D blogging!

*All my latest rolls!*

Campaigns and Characters:
Zendikar: Covenant of The Forgotten Relics
- Cylonea: Merfolk (Elemental Priest) Shaman(World Speaker)/Artificer --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff
- Vurokk Dahvre: Shade (Escaped Slave) Blackguard of Fury --> Sheet, Obsidian Portal's, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)
Nature's Allies
- Carwyn Sihderfein: Half-Elf (Tuathan) Blackguard of Domination / Binder of Gloom --> Sheet, Fluff, Blogs (1, 2)

sounds like a good start to me.
It seems pretty obvious that Playtesting Feedback would need its own subforum.

This is true, but no good will come from adding that forum until the open playtesting begins.

can you please put the 4e future releases and related threads somewhere else? also some mods in here would be nice
I know this doesn't address the question directly but I have a suggestion for you regarding the forums:

Employ heavy moderation. Not to remove dissenting/unpopular opinions, but to remove the troll posts and the thread-wrecking nonsense that's kept people away from the forums for some time. I haven't been able to use them at all from the release of the Grand History of the Realms.

I like the ideas you've tossed out so far. A board where playtesters can post but everyone can read would be nice (post-NDAs, of course.)

Perhaps a pair of subforums for both likes & dislikes, so complaints about previous systems can be guided into an area for constructive criticism/house rules solutions? That will give mods a place to put all the hate threads that inevitably pop up.

A "Player suggestions/ideas" subforum might help as well.
Dare I say it. 

I could go without any commentary from anyone outside of Wizards.  I do enjoy reading it, but in reality, the only thing I want to read is the official statements and news from developers on what is being tested, looked at, and going on.

There are threads of threads on people talking and while entertaining, means nothing to the end result unless we hear it from Wizards. 

So, regardless of what you do, please create someplace we can go to read the "official" news, and not have to sift through hours of general opinion.

Like for example, mine.  Wink

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

I could see creating subforums for the playtesting, especially once it gets to open playtesting.  But a subforum for "what you liked about previous editions" is just going to be too noisy for the designers to get any real feedback from. 

I would like to see the designers survey the gaming population about specific topics, a la Bruce's blog post about radiant and holy damage.  I remember many WotC surveys about which books I would buy during the 3.5e days, why not survey what types of rules I want to play with now?
-@DeuceDM
Forgotten Realms Next subform is important.
I like the polls, news, speculation/hopes/fears split, of course separated from 4e future releases.
I think four forums is plenty.

Next News and Announcements: Get the latest news and announcement and discuss them here.
(If possible, only staff could create threads, but let anybody reply to them.)

Next Players: Discussions of player related mechanics, modules and aids.

Next DMs: Discussions of DM-related mechanics, modules, and aids.

Next Other: Have a topic that has nothing to do with players or DMs?  Post it here.
(Stuff like discussing artwork, marketing, Forgotten Realms Next, and the like might go here.)

And I agree that 4e Future Releases should be restored in the general D&D forums.
I'd like some way of keeping some of the bickering parties apart.  But that would require a "pros of x edition" and a "cons of x edition" for each edition... and people would still go into ones where they know they will have nothing to do but argue (by which I mean uncivil pointles arguments of people refusing to admit that people that don't agee with them can have valid opinions).  And it would be a lot of sub forums.  Not all of which would have a lot of content.

So I guess thats not likely.

Maybe there should be an editions war subforum just for those people who want to shout "I'm right, your wrong" at each other all day.  Though they would still post elsewhere anyway

I agree that a "4E future releases" subforum should exist.  I also agree that a "Playtesters feedback" subforum should exist once it has become relevant.

Maybe there should be an editions war subforum just for those people who want to shout "I'm right, your wrong" at each other all day.

We tried that with the releae of 4e.  It was not pretty and did not help.  If anything, by implicitly makign edition warring acceptable, it encouraged the rancor to spread to other forums.
I'm thinking something like "Designer's Corner" where WotC staff steer discussion. For example "What do you guys think about the Appraisal skill and similar mechanics?" could both give us a vague idea of what you're up to and provide you with some customer discussion that could hardly happen if not focused this way.

So, I guess something like this week's blogs about radiant/holy damage, DR, fluff/crunch, etc. but not necessarily with so much information provided on the designers' part.
Maybe there should be an editions war subforum just for those people who want to shout "I'm right, your wrong" at each other all day.

We tried that with the releae of 4e.  It was not pretty and did not help.  If anything, by implicitly makign edition warring acceptable, it encouraged the rancor to spread to other forums.

To be honest, that deosn't surprise me.  I guess heavy modding is the only way to go.
I'm thinking something like "Designer's Corner" where WotC staff steer discussion. For example "What do you guys think about the Appraisal skill and similar mechanics?" could both give us a vague idea of what you're up to and provide you with some customer discussion that could hardly happen if not focused this way.

So, I guess something like this week's blogs about radiant/holy damage, DR, fluff/crunch, etc. but not necessarily with so much information provided on the designers' part.

The official announcements section also covers converstaions steered by the devs, so I think we'll have that part covered. Basically that's the forum for links to offiical info and the conversations that will likely be the most sought after/moderated.

Official Announcements - Discuss things that are officially announced. 

Predictions/Suggestions - Discuss things that you want/hope to see.

Playtest Reports - Post your playtest notes and talk about them. 

At this point I don't know that we need much more than that. As those threads grow, you can break them apart. Maybe crunch/fluff divides for them. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

I think four forums is plenty.

Next News and Announcements: Get the latest news and announcement and discuss them here.
(If possible, only staff could create threads, but let anybody reply to them.)

Next Players: Discussions of player related mechanics, modules and aids.

Next DMs: Discussions of DM-related mechanics, modules, and aids.

Next Other: Have a topic that has nothing to do with players or DMs?  Post it here.
(Stuff like discussing artwork, marketing, Forgotten Realms Next, and the like might go here.)

And I agree that 4e Future Releases should be restored in the general D&D forums.

I'm not sure what we gain by separating out player and DM stuff at this point. There's a lot of overlap as players and DMs are going to agree/disagree about things they want or where the choice and decision making lie.

I am willing to be wrong on that one though if people want that division - I'm just not sure it serves us well in the current stages of the conversation.

That's fair.  To be honest, I like Krusk's suggestions better than mine and I wish he had posted before I did to save myself the trouble!
I would go with:

Designer corner - a place where designers can post polls and create topics to discuss. It will make it so easier to follow the official news and WotC employees. As per Demeters idea.

Mechanics - suggestions, predictions and opinions about previous and future mechanics of the game. Predictions/Suggestions doesn't cover the discussions about the previous editions and opinions on them.

Playtest Reports - as per Krusk 

Storyline - talk about the story of settings. 

I think we would need also need some heavy moderation in one aspect - double threads. People tend not to read old topics and create new ones about the already discussed things. This seems ok to some degree, but it is not. The discussion that was previously taken is lost in the countless pages of threads and all hard work is forgotten. Plus, it's hard to navigate and find the topic you wanted cuz of the number of pages.
I think the OP had it right:

an official, no comment place to gather all the official information (just the facts, ma'am)

a place to talk about old D&D, to share opinions and biases (and spit and fight)

a place to talk about new D&D, without letting our "baggage" and conflicts sour the experience 
I think the OP had it right:

an official, no comment place to gather all the official information (just the facts, ma'am)

a place to talk about old D&D, to share opinions and biases (and spit and fight)

a place to talk about new D&D, without letting our "baggage" and conflicts sour the experience 

An official place to gather official information where nobody can comment is bad, IMHO. Why? Because for that we have Dungeons and Dragons site. It would be simply reposting what's there.
Likes and dislikes of all previous editions are everyone's personal preference of each game they play in, and every game group is going to be different as well. There's things I really like and don't like about both of the previous editions, the Predictions/Suggestions forum would allow people to share their likes and dislikes in an attempt to hopefully drive the game forward and make it better.

We all know the routine, new edition is announced and for some reason creates the posts that are unproductive to game design.

I think that Krusk is on the right track though, at the moment there's not much else needed.

Side Note:
I helped in play test and design of a game called Insecta Trilobite, an expansion to the Insecta game by Fat Messiah Games. There was one play test session where we (the players) pointed out our view on an attack would be fun to play if it was written a certain way but the argument was that the attack wouldn't be realistic. Each play tester gave their views and opinions and ultimately it was up to the game designers to take that information and make the best call for their game.

I hope that the D&D community can constructively give their opinions and views of previous editions so that the next one is fun to play. The game designers will defintely have a big task ahead of them and I think they're hoping that the D&D community will step up and help out.
I would go with:

Designer corner - a place where designers can post polls and create topics to discuss. It will make it so easier to follow the official news and WotC employees. As per Demeters idea.

Mechanics - suggestions, predictions and opinions about previous and future mechanics of the game. Predictions/Suggestions doesn't cover the discussions about the previous editions and opinions on them.

Playtest Reports - as per Krusk 

Storyline - talk about the story of settings. 

I think we would need also need some heavy moderation in one aspect - double threads. People tend not to read old topics and create new ones about the already discussed things. This seems ok to some degree, but it is not. The discussion that was previously taken is lost in the countless pages of threads and all hard work is forgotten. Plus, it's hard to navigate and find the topic you wanted cuz of the number of pages.

I was going to suggest a seperate Mechanics sub forum and one for settings/flavour.  I decided against it as i think that it is important not divorce them entirely and having them seperated in this way could encourage that.
Apart from an "Official News" forum, I do not believe there should be any WOTC-led sub-forums or moderation. Censorship is too easy a trap to fall in, trap sense notwithstanding.
I go with the OP, nothing else is needed at this point.
"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gygax
can you please put the 4e future releases and related threads somewhere else?

Agreed. We've still got at least one more year of 4e and it would be nice to have a place to discuss that material without all of the 5e posts.
For ease of getting to relevant post/ information, Id be happy if the forum was subdivided into something that looked like a rule index / contents page from one of the core books. Cool
For ease of getting to relevant post/ information, Id be happy if the forum was subdivided into something that looked like a rule index / contents page from one of the core books. Cool

This covers all the topics that we will be giving input on. It would create continuity between the developers and players. As parts of the books are being worked out and reviewed. This method is easier for looking up input.

MY DM COMMITMENT To insure that those who participate in any game that I adjudicate are having fun, staying engaged, maintaining focus, contributing to the story and becoming legendary. "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gary Gygax Thanks for that Gary, so now stop playing RAW games. Member of the Progressive Front of Grognardia Suicide Squad
I know this doesn't address the question directly but I have a suggestion for you regarding the forums:

Employ heavy moderation. Not to remove dissenting/unpopular opinions, but to remove the troll posts and the thread-wrecking nonsense that's kept people away from the forums for some time. I haven't been able to use them at all from the release of the Grand History of the Realms.

If you guys want our feed back do some due diligence and follow up with users who are more destructive than constructive. If all I get is people saying "you are dumb/suck/an idiot or whatever, why should I even make a post. As a member who had a rebuttal to a comment made removed, even while remaining on topic and being constructive, I can not agree more with the above.

MY DM COMMITMENT To insure that those who participate in any game that I adjudicate are having fun, staying engaged, maintaining focus, contributing to the story and becoming legendary. "The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." Gary Gygax Thanks for that Gary, so now stop playing RAW games. Member of the Progressive Front of Grognardia Suicide Squad
I vote Krusk's suggestion of Announcements, Discussion and Feedback. But I also think that "Designer's Corner" is a good term to use somewhere, even if not as a subforum name. Maybe all the directed discussion topics can be called "Designer's Corner?" It has that nice personalizing ring to it.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
As you might have noticed, the conversations on the next iteration of D&D, what people like about previous versions, what people want to change or add and all sorts of other D&D Next related conversations have kind of blown up around here :P Definitely a good thing.

Now we didn't want to create subforums for the conversations and possibly force the conversation in certain directions, but now that things are moving it looks like we need some clear divisions.

I have some ideas that are very basic such as:

• Creating a subforum for official news and moderated forum conversations with the design team

• Creating a subforum that focuses on what you liked from previous editions and want to see in the next itteration

• Creating a subforum for feedback on any official news, announcements, or sneak peaks.

Now those are just some ideas, and they may be too general, or they may be perfect but in need of adding a few more. I didn't want to move too far forward without talking to people here and seeing what you wanted as far as subforums go.

So please, tell me what you want to see. Keep in mind that we probably don't want too many subforums as we don't want to fracture the community or confuse the conversations too much, but I'm open to all suggestions!

Just toss on the Playtest Feedback forum like a few others mentioned and its perfect :3. Oh and maybe slap on a special alert when a member of the design team replies to something, it will help keep players up to date on the design team's thoughts about topics within the forums.

•Creating a subforum for official news and moderated forum conversations with the design team

My goal in these forums is to influence the dev team. So if such a subforum existed, I would post nowhere else.

can you please put the 4e future releases and related threads somewhere else? also some mods in here would be nice

Currently, we can use the D&D General board for 4e future release products, until a more permanent solution is offered.
Show
Of the two approaches to hobby games today, one is best defined as the realism-simulation school and the other as the game school. AD&D is assuredly an adherent of the latter school. It does not stress any realism (in the author's opinon an absurd effort at best considering the topic!). It does little to attempt to simulate anything either. (AD&D) is first and foremost a game for the fun and enjoyment of those who seek the use of imagination and creativity.... In all cases, however, the reader should understand that AD&D is designed to be an amusing and diverting pastime, something which an fill a few hours or consume endless days, as the participants desire, but in no case something to be taken too seriously. For fun, excitement and captivating fantasy, AD&D is unsurpassed.As a realistic simulation of things from the realm of make-believe or even as a reflection of midieval or ancient warfare or culture or society, it can be deemed only a dismal failure. Readers who seek the later must search elsewhere. - Gary Gygax. 1e DMG.

At this point I don't know that we need much more than that. As those threads grow, you can break them apart. Maybe crunch/fluff divides for them. 

I like this.  

An official place to gather official information where nobody can comment is bad, IMHO. Why? Because for that we have Dungeons and Dragons site. It would be simply reposting what's there.

I guess I'm thinking there are just going to be so many new articles and interviews and all that jazz. Rather than forum members trying to gather all these in one thread (which is already happening), it would be nice if there was an official list for it...?

I like this.  

I totally agree, keeping it simple and defined at this stage is the best idea.

I guess I'm thinking there are just going to be so many new articles and interviews and all that jazz. Rather than forum members trying to gather all these in one thread (which is already happening), it would be nice if there was an official list for it...?

For gathering official information we don't need a separate subforum - one sticky thread is enough. Just list links to articles and information and close the topic for no-comments.

Krusk idea is nice, but it seems people omit the fact that Krusk did not include the discussion about previous editions in this idea. Not to mention he combined both lore and mechanic topics. Why is this bad? Because these two are the biggest, most interesting and most active topics on the forum. Most topics are about those two. This would cause the subforum to grow to immense size and made the next division into subforums within Predictions/Suggestions inevitable.
I second a subforum for Forgotten Realms or maybe Settings.
The reason is that these subjects deal less (if at all) with mechanics and more with flavor and lore.
Discussions focus on how to present the new setting, how to deal with various eras, what would need to be changed in 4th ed to make the setting it attractive to the audience.

Gomez

I would like to see a game developer thread with a weekly post about mechanics that are being considered for 5e. This would be a place for the developers to post , no one could post to it but I am hoping it would lead to an in-depth set of discussions about specific mechanics wizards is considering for 5e

Sign In to post comments