Reflavouring classes as superheroes (Spiderman)

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been having some fun with interprating superheroes as DnD classes. I've currently done Ghost Rider, Captain America(Fighter, Improv Weaons), The Flash(Monk), The Hulk, Black Canary and more. But after all these conversions, I realized I've not yet done my favourite superhero: Spiderman.

After thinking about it for a while I realies there is no good way to make our favourite wesslinger as an existing DnD class. The closest i came to it was making a monk that took the flying utility power and reflavoured it as a websling. But It lacks the ranged control which can be achieved by covering your enemy in webbing.

So, since I've got nothing better to do, why not homebrew a simple class that's just enough to capture his essence. Nothing complicated, just a webball here, an immobalized there and a good mechanic for travelling via spider's web. 

What would you think is neccssary for the Spiderman class?

· Spiderclimb equal to your speed
· +2 to reflex
· Dexterity based
· How would spidersense work? 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Spider sense could be a boost to initiative, or some kind of encounter interrupt power to dodge or parry.

Seems like a short range controller type guy too. Grabbing and sliding with webs. Like in ultimate alliance.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

Kind of clunky, but might fit the purpose of moving about with webs. The range and your fly speed could increase at each tier.

Name For Web Power
At-Will * (Power Source)
Move Action    Ranged 10
Target: An obstacle that can support your weight.
Effect: Fly your speed. Each square of movement must bring you closer to the target. If you end this movement adjacent to the target you do not fall.

For the Spidey Sense, take a look at the Battle Mind's encounter power to move when initiative is rolled.
Wow, i REALLY did not expect any feedback, so thanks guys.

I know there is a marvel system out there, does anyone know how Spidey was done there?
Swinging is REALLY tricky, but yoy really pushed me on the right track.

He's obviously a martial genius, with webslingers on top. I guess most of his powers will either be martial or web based.
What other class features can you imagine him having? 

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Climb speed.

Attack powers that include shifting. I see his a nimble, mobile combatant. Needs ranged and melee attacks. The Fighter's "Footwork Lure" and the Ranger's "Nimble Strike" would be examples.

Needs Athletics, Acrobatics and Stealth for starters. Streetwise too.
Climb and shiftiness for sure.  maybe some "super strength" utilities? 

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

The Executioner can climb or jump its speed as an at-will move action, which is very Spider-Man. They also are strikers (like Spider-Man). And with some reflavoring you could use their poisons as his webbing (because it is an artifical and finite resource as well).

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Not bad.
Yeah, I think Spiderman is supposed to be able to lift a small automobile... That's pretty strong xD 

Here's a suggestion:
Vampire PMC Monk

Why Vampire?

1. Stats

• Charismatic

• Nimble

•  At-wills

• Dark Beckoning -> Web

• Vampire Slam -> Punch

• The fact that he's a superhero, maybe that means he's just plain unkillable despite the odds, and the fact that he does it while cracking a joke or a pun makes the CHA regen quite... appropriate We could then have the encounter power as a revitalizing super-punch that helps him be even more awesome

• Level 4: Strength of Blood -> Spiderman being super-strong

• Level 8: Night Crawler -> Spider climb.  'Nuff said.

• Why PMC Monk?

1. Insane mobility

2. Flight/Super-leap powers -> Web swing

3. As much as I'd like to suggest Hybrid Monk, the fact that you don't get the level 8 Vampire feature as a hybrid is... sad.

Alternative to PMC Monk: Four Winds Master, Shadow Dancer (after you gain a teleportation at-will/encounter power) 

Show

You are Red/Blue!
    Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
    Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
    If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
    I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
    This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
    Here's a suggestion:
    Vampire

Nobody should ever play a vampire ever.  It is single handedly the most useless class created since the birth of 4e.  

If you want a strong, agile, and charismatic character, take a rogue. Personally, I see spiderman being more of a monk than a rogue though.  no armor, strong, multi-foe attacks, and the ability to leap or "fly", based on your choice of powers.  That, and I spidy having a higher wisdom than charisma, due to his ultimate intuition and perception.
    Here's a suggestion:
    Vampire

Nobody should ever play a vampire ever.  It is single handedly the most useless class created since the birth of 4e.  

If you want a strong, agile, and charismatic character, take a rogue. Personally, I see spiderman being more of a monk than a rogue though.  no armor, strong, multi-foe attacks, and the ability to leap or "fly", based on your choice of powers.  That, and I spidy having a higher wisdom than charisma, due to his ultimate intuition and perception.

CharOp lab tests show that Vampires hold their own in an Essentials setup, and if there's any class that's actually "useless" in 4E, I'd vote Binders, not Vampires.

Plus, at our table at least, while the Vampire isn't a Barbarian or Ranger or Rogue, it's still as good as just about any other striker in the group.

Show

You are Red/Blue!

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

57047238 wrote:
    If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
    I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
    This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
    Spider-Man isn't Charismatic. He's constantly cracking one liners, and he is always confidant, but he's still awkward and bumbling in social situations. WIS maybe, because he needs the perception/insight as a photographer. 

Spider-Man isn't Charismatic. He's constantly cracking one liners, and he is always confidant, but he's still awkward and bumbling in social situations. WIS maybe, because he needs the perception/insight as a photographer. 

True enough, although I think it'd be more of trained in Insight [Spider sense] and Bluff [one-liners and confidence], but no Diplomacy [awkward] and no Intimidate [bumbling].  The DM could easily rule that he only benefits from his training in Bluff when in Spiderman costume

Aside from that... well, 18 DEX 14 CHA 14 WIS seems appropriate enough, regardless of class
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    True enough with the bluff, but even Peter Parker is a good lier- he has to be to have kept his secret identity for so long. Training, and a background and/or theme bonus would put him up to the level that people don't find him out.
    Again, I like Executioner. No secondaries means the build is free to put points wherever. Executioner with high Arcana can use Arcana for Strength checks, to mimic his super strength. 

True enough with the bluff, but even Peter Parker is a good lier- he has to be to have kept his secret identity for so long. Training, and a background and/or theme bonus would put him up to the level that people don't find him out.
    Again, I like Executioner. No secondaries means the build is free to put points wherever. Executioner with high Arcana can use Arcana for Strength checks, to mimic his super strength. 

How about the spider climbing ability?
    Show

You are Red/Blue!

57047238 wrote:
    Assassins (and thus Executioners) have a level 6 at-will move action that lets them jump or climb their speed.

True enough with the bluff, but even Peter Parker is a good lier- he has to be to have kept his secret identity for so long.

High charisma represents a natural inclination to social abilities.  Parker is a blundering social mess.  If anything, his ability to lie is little more than experience; his 1/2 level bonus.  He's not trained in lying or socializing, nor is he a natural at it.  I mean, he wouldn't have a LOW charisma, but its far from his primary stat.

Also, there's a difference between saying "I.. uhh..  was..  taking MJ out to dinner?" and being Jack Sparrow.

I particularly think the Arcana as str checks is nice
    Bracers of Brachiation (5+) allow you to climb 1/2 your land speed, increasing to full land speed at 15th, land speed +4 at 25th.  In addition, you can swing through forests at a speed equal to your land speed.

You can reflavour this for cities, or add cities to the rule.

Also, the Assassin level 6 at-will utility Ghost of the Rooftops lets you climb or long jump your speed without an athletics check.
    Monk 10 at will utility Spider Climb lets you climb your speed across any surface, even a flat ceiling.  If you end the move on this surface, you fall. 
    I don't remember where I read it, maybe Silver Age Sentinels, but it describe their teleportation ability as open for character translation, that it may not simply mean disappearing from the fabric of reality to appear elsewhere in reality, but could be different per character (powers are handled much differently in that game).  Anyway, one of the possibilties it listed was teleportation representing an ability to jump or somersault from one place to another.  In that instance, webslinging and acrobatics could be handled with teleporting moves associated with eladrin (feystep) and warlocks (misty step).  That's one as a race encounter power and another as an activated or triggered ability so as not to unbalance gameplay.  Also, take powers from any class you want!  Sure, executioner leaping thingy, web to the face- rogue 1st level blinding daily (i'm too lazy to look up the actual powers right now, sorry), immobilized attacks, sure,  webshield?- wizard shield utility, web bullet- ranger cafeful shot, highly mobile and hard to hit- warlock shadow step, spidey quips- bard powers, kicks and punches- monk flurry of fists, um, what else does spidey do...?
    Parenthood: Gain rage class feature. While enraged, take ongoing psychic damage equal to half the child's level. Dealing damage while enraged is against your Code of Conduct and you will be depowered.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/13.jpg)

^^Wow, is that really how I came across in that personality thing or was this chosen at random?
    Sign In to post comments