Sliver Deck working with extreme control blue deck for two headed giant, 100% honest feedback

8 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sliver Deck
22 - Mana
7 - Plains
6 - Forest
4 - Sunpetal Grove (G/W)
2 - Glacial Fortress (U/W)
2 - Rootbound Crag (R/G)
1 - Mountain
1 - Arena

Creatures
4 - Gemhide Sliver
4 - Sidewinder
4 - Spined Sliver
3 - Shadow Sliver
3 - Might Sliver
3 - Watcher Sliver
3 - Bone Splitter Sliver
3 - Shadow Sliver
2 - Essence Sliver
2 - Pulmonic Sliver
2 - Fury Sliver
2 - Telekenetic Sliver
2 - Necrotic Sliver
1 - Sliver Legion

Give me your honest opinion of what you think of the deck and why? 

Don't play Slivers. They're Slivers, and I don't think I need to say anything more than that.

Joking aside (I actually like the Sliver mechanic), you might want to consider playing Virulent Sliver (gives all your dudes Poisonous, the precursor to Infect) and maybe some Changelings from Lorwyn block. The higher end slivers (Fury, any others costing more than 4 mana) really aren't that great either. And you can never go wrong with Path to Exile.

(at)MrEnglish22

I'm looking into the changelings still but this is what I've came up with so far

24 Mana
7 - Forest
6 - Plains
4 - Sunpetal Grove (G/W)
2 - Rootbound Crag (R/G)
1 - Mountain
1 - Island
1 - Arena

32 Creatures
4 - Gemhide Sliver
4 - Virulent Sliver
4 - Spined Sliver
3 - Might Sliver
3 - Watcher Sliver
3 - Bone Splitter Sliver
3 - Shifting Sliver
3 - Necrotic Sliver
2 - Essence Sliver
2 - Pulmonic Sliver
1 - Sliver Legion

4 Other
4 - Coat of Arms

I know pulmonic costs a bit but it has helped me win so many games I can't take it out, I looked at path to exile and if I did put that in there, I would have no idea what t take out, I've also replaced shadow with shifting so my slivers can at least block lol cost one more to play but hey its worth it.

Any ideas of any changelings that would be good for this deck? Remember it is two headed giant and i'm working with a blue counter control deck and I'm now working on making this an unblockable power deck, even if the opponent is life based to win there are the poison counters, in which thank you jman22, great idea :D
I'm looking into the changelings still but this is what I've came up with so far

24 Mana
7 - Forest
6 - Plains
4 - Sunpetal Grove (G/W)
2 - Rootbound Crag (R/G)
1 - Mountain
1 - Island
1 - Arena

32 Creatures
4 - Gemhide Sliver
4 - Virulent Sliver
4 - Spined Sliver
3 - Might Sliver
3 - Watcher Sliver
3 - Bone Splitter Sliver
3 - Shifting Sliver
3 - Necrotic Sliver
2 - Essence Sliver
2 - Pulmonic Sliver
1 - Sliver Legion

4 Other
4 - Coat of Arms

I know pulmonic costs a bit but it has helped me win so many games I can't take it out, I looked at path to exile and if I did put that in there, I would have no idea what t take out, I've also replaced shadow with shifting so my slivers can at least block lol cost one more to play but hey its worth it.

Any ideas of any changelings that would be good for this deck? Remember it is two headed giant and i'm working with a blue counter control deck and I'm now working on making this an unblockable power deck, even if the opponent is life based to win there are the poison counters, in which thank you jman22, great idea :D

Shifting Sliver isn't modern legal, I don't think. Unfortunately, Wizards great idea of "Let's cut it off at the Modern borders" doesn't work so well when they print legacy stuff in promo sets using the new border.

(at)MrEnglish22

24 Mana 
7 - Forest
6 - Plains
4 - Sunpetal Grove (G/W)
2 - Rootbound Crag (R/G)
1 - Mountain
1 - Island
1 - Arena

32 Creatures
4 - Gemhide Sliver
4 - Virulent Sliver
4 - Spined Sliver
3 - Might Sliver
3 - Watcher Sliver
3 - Bone Splitter Sliver
3 - Two-Headed Sliver
3 - Necrotic Sliver
2 - Essence Sliver
2 - Pulmonic Sliver
1 - Sliver Legion

Never noticed that card wasn't legal lol 

I'd suggest finding room for Sidewinder Sliver, Firewake Sliver, and possibly some pump. With Virulent Sliver out, you only need to deal 10 damage, so maybe some Mutagenic Growths?

(at)MrEnglish22

24 Mana 
7 - Forest
6 - Plains
4 - Sunpetal Grove (G/W)
2 - Rootbound Crag (R/G)
1 - Mountain
1 - Island
1 - Arena

32 Creatures
4 - Gemhide Sliver
4 - Virulent Sliver
4 - Spined Sliver
3 - Might Sliver
3 - Watcher Sliver
3 - Bonesplitter Sliver
3 - Two-Headed Sliver
3 - Necrotic Sliver
2 - Essence Sliver
2 - Pulmonic Sliver
1 - Sliver Legion

Never noticed that card wasn't legal lol 

Honestly, I don't think Slivers can make it in the current Modern environment.  Now, that being said I feel I should also add in that it would be awesome if it could.  They are one of my favorite tribal decks, one I've spent a long time trying to build into a viable deck.

First thing's first:  to make Slivers good, you're going to have to cut out a lot of Slivers you don't want to.  Your deck is too big and heavy, and trying to build into Sliver Legion is just too finicky.  Mirror Entity is much better solution because it costs much less and can be splashed for much easier (if neccessary).  Mirror Entity also comes out earlier than turn four combos (Murderous Redcap, for example), which means you can put them on the defensive before they attempt to combo out.  That's not making promises, but it's better than hoping you hit three lands on turn three, each with three different color so your turn two Gemhide and turn one other Sliver can tap for the Legion.

My suggestion is load up on small Slivers and the single pump Sliver, then load up on counterspells.  Another possibility is trying to build around Dormant Sliver.  Also, don't forget Aether Vial is a Sliver's best friend.

Other Slivers I would keep in mind are:
Harmonic Sliver for those pesky artifacts and enchantments (Wurmcoil Engine, for instance)
Darkheart Sliver--I can't stress how powerful gaining lots of life in response to a board sweep is.  Board sweeps are just one of the things which murder Slivers.  Seems likely that you'll need to have something to counter a sweeper effect.

Here is how I would do slivers in modern, esp if I teamed with a control deck.

1 Drops: 7
4 sidewinder
3 Mindlash

2 Drops: 12
4 Sinew
3 Frenzy
3 Cautery
2 Ghostflame

3 drops: 6
4 Sledge
2 Necrotic

4 Drops: 2
2 Bonesplitter

Spells:11
4 Path to exile
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Harms Way

Land:22
12 Shocklands
8 Fetchlands
1 Plain, 1 Swamp

The focus is aggro, limiting to 3 colors is very important to be able to cast your aggro cards as they are needed. Neither blue nor green really add anything that you need.

To be perfectly honest, while the slivers may be viable, there are other tribes that can just do this better, or even non tribal that throws out a better aggro rate. Goblins, elves, vampires, zombies or merfolk all have better creatures at each point and access to more lord creatures. The main benifite of using slivers in 2HG is that you can partner up with someone who is also using slivers and they will benifite each other. If you must go the sliver rout, make sure the control deck is running some slivers too.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.