01/18/2012 BoaB: "Lingering Souls"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Building on a Budget, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Aww yeah. I'm actually really excited to build this kind of deck.
Whoa, ... between this card and the wallpaper preview card Stromkirk Captain, I'm foaming at the mouth ( figuratively ) Vampire lord that gives +1/+1 and First strike is crazy. An this card will be going straight into my B/W token deck that I already have with Bloodline keeper and geist-honored monk :D!! 
I really really cringe each time wizards push token strategies to such extent.
I know it's pretty popular among players, but I still don't understand why T_T
Tokens is a most boring and uninteresting tactic around for me

Also.
This kind of cards in a format might ruin a good drafting environment :'(
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this card.
It compares very well to Battle Screech, reasonably well to Midnight Haunting, and makes Master's Call (and maybe also Join the Ranks look rather sad.

Raise the Alarm variants that aren't bloated set-gimmick cards are always welcome.
I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this card.
It compares very well to Battle Screech, reasonably well to Midnight Haunting, and makes Master's Call (and maybe also Join the Ranks look rather sad.

Raise the Alarm variants that aren't bloated set-gimmick cards are always welcome.

It's a two mana sorcery with one one mana to the cost to encompass the flashback bonus. It makes spirits with flying, which while relevant to two groups of cards in Innistrad -- but consider that Master's Call also cared about two groups of cards (metalcraft, Myr "tribal") while also otherwise useful and still playable in Standard, and Join the Ranks -- potentially a tad overcosted -- was deliberately useful for a tribe focused on ctb triggers.

I'd still take the instants (generally) over the sorceries.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Intangible Virtue?
Love the card, hate the deck. It should have been a token deck instead of a white weenie deck. 

I'm conflicted. Do I make a W/B token deck knowing I'll never acquire the copies of Sorin to complete it? 

My first thought on seeing the card: So this is Battle Screech, but with the mana spread across two turns rather than concentrated into the first cast.

Which, y'know, ain't a bad thing at all. Battle Screech was an excellent card in its time. It'd just be nice to see a mention of that in the article.

But that said, yay for Rally the Peasants! I always thought that was a Constructed-level card. I tried taking that to (the only time I've ever been to) FNM, supporting a tokens / battle cry strategy (topped out by Hero of Bladehold), but I only did okay. I suspect this will break it through into a high tier.

@Sigbjorn: I'd sad it is a token deck already. Really. It has 12 cards which do nothing but make 32 tokens between them (44 if you're low enough on life), and another 4 creatures who make tokens as well, with every card in the deck except Memnite having excellent synergy with Gather the Townsfolk...

Vault of the Archangel?
Apparently Wizards didn't learn their lesson from Spectral Procession.  Being able to create a bunch of flying tokens is too nasty.  We already have Midnight Haunting and a few creatures that create 1/1 fliers when they die.  Why do we need ANOTHER card that creates two 1/1 fliers and can do it again if you have black?  I imagine Ratchet Bomb will be seeing more play because of this.

This card would be fine if we didn't already have enough flying token generators.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
What should I say... fed up with paper clips...

As someone who has been playing a proliferate deck for around a year I don't have an issue with paper clips, or in my case pennies.  I also don't have a problem with token making in general.  The problem I have is with the power of a bunch of 1/1 flying tokens in a color with enchantments to raise their power and toughness especially when a similar situation happened in the past.  Spectral Procession caused quite a bit of grief when it was in standard and now we may have to go through a similar situation again.  That is my problem.

If your statement wasn't directed at mine, I'll apologize right now.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
1/1 white flying spirit token cards are cheap right now.

Also you can just make your own.

It used to be I'd just use whatever but it really is more fun to have the appropriate token cards.
After commenting about the expense of decks in the past, I would like to say that I am glad to see a deck like this from BoaB.  The cards in it are cheap or should be easily acquired via trading.  I don't know how strong it is, since I haven't played it or a deck like it, but it seems good enough (Rally the Peasants has been underrated in my opinion).  Thanks JVL.
The deck feels a little obvious, but it was a preview deck, and I think it is a good direction for a budget version. The artifact wedge seems pretty tech at first glance too so JVL gets credit for that.

I've always loved White/Black going back to my Pox/Vindicate fun, and I'm excited to see how it plays against the field. With cards like Vault of the Archangel though, it does feel a little forced from Wizards. We already had a ready-made tribal deck in Werewolves, adding BW Tokens seems unnesessary.
Seems like Wizards is really pushing white/black...

Noone wants to spend 13$ on a single Isolated Chapel...
Sign In to post comments