Flashback costs vs. Mental Misstep

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I searched, but couldn't find a specific answer for this.

When you cast Geistflame for its flashback cost, can it be countered by Mental Misstep?

The Comprehensive rules say "You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying (cost) rather than paying its mana cost," which implies to me that the mana cost on the card remains R, even if you used 3R as an alternate cost to cast it.  I wanted to be certain, however.
I searched, but couldn't find a specific answer for this.

When you cast Geistflame for its flashback cost, can it be countered by Mental Misstep?

The Comprehensive rules say "You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying (cost) rather than paying its mana cost," which implies to me that the mana cost on the card remains R, even if you used 3R as an alternate cost to cast it.  I wanted to be certain, however.

The converted mana cost of the card is always 1. is an alternative cost.
Cannot be relied upon^
Yes, Geistflame can be countered by Mental Misstep no matter whether it was cast normally or flashed back. The mana cost of a spell is whatever is in the top-right-hand corner of the card--it isn't based on what you actually needed to spend to cast it.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

Yes.
Mental Misstep only cares about the converted mana cost, not what you actually paid for the spell.
MTG Rules Advisor
Sign In to post comments