The Joke of Grafdigger's Cage

49 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Joke

They're obviously kidding! There is no other rational explanation to this thing! I'm sorry, 1 mana, locks down Dredge, Reanimator, GSZ, Natural Order, and so many other tactics? Dredge can't keep up with it, it needs 2 lands and 1 Ancient Grudge in hand, provided the opponent doesn't have a counterspell.

I used to make jokes about people complaining that WoTC hate combos, but then I took a Grafdigger's Cage to the knee. It's just wrong.

Discuss.
It is odd. This card might actually be so powerful at shutting down a lot of what Legacy is doing now, that no one plays it because it nombos with their own deck. I also don't think it is any stronger than Leyline of the Void; it's only more diverse. Im already running a Enlightened Tutor sideboard. I guess if I board out GSZ for it and other tech? Something about boarding out GSZ just makes me feel wrong, though.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
It is odd. This card might actually be so powerful at shutting down a lot of what Legacy is doing now, that no one plays it because it nombos with their own deck. I also don't think it is any stronger than Leyline of the Void; it's only more diverse. Im already running a Enlightened Tutor sideboard. I guess if I board out GSZ for it and other tech? Something about boarding out GSZ just makes me feel wrong, though.

Imo, the exact problem this card has is its diversity; As if Leyline and Relic were not strong Graveyard haters enough. Dredge is dead, hands down, Reanimator's dead from any control matchup, GSZ and other stuff like that are also unusable. However, legacy has such a vast card pool that will easily adapt to this atrocity, at the cost of so many decks. And that's why I say it's a joke; this card literally trolls decks. The best budget deck for legacy is dead. How do they expect more people to join the format?

I can't wait to read an article about this card. It's going to be so hilarious, the explanation and the concept behind this card will be in the lines of "we didn't want flashback to run havoc in standard, so we decided to troll legacy". The funny thing is, that they had first announced Faithless Looting, everyone got their hopes up, wizards supporting budget decks in legacy and stuff, and now we seriously got trolled!

I expect that thing to be banned.
Zoo.format?

They like to encourage trolling?

I guess dredge could add some maindeck hate and a fifteen card sideboard vs that.
Zoo.format?

They like to encourage trolling?

I guess dredge could add some maindeck hate and a fifteen card sideboard vs that.

Zoo.format = Modern. What exactly do they like about that... thing?

Actually Dredge can try as hard as it can. This + counters = Dead.dredge. T1 Cage, T2 untapped lands for Spell Snare to counter Ancient Grudge. And yeah, no flashback for Grudge. How nice.
I have a feeling this will settle the long-time debate of Nature's Claim or Chain of Vapor for dredge. The winner obviously being Claim now. I don't think you'll want Ancient Grudge any longer. Grafdiggers did to grudge what leyline did to Ray of Revelation. This card is worse for dredge than leyline, because nobody will have concerns about using it. Dredge is gonna have to up their answers, for sure.

Any hate against dredge backed with counters was usually tough to beat. The good thing was that most hate was one-shot effects, like crypt, relic, extraction, macabre. Apparently that wasn't good enough. If this card had a color requirement, then I'd much more relieved. Unfortunately, I think we'll see this in a lot of sideboards.

And wtf to the "or libraries" at the end of the first clause. I'm starting to have fun building a GSZ deck and this bullshit comes out. You can't even tutor for answers to it. 

tl;dr LAME!!! keep pushing modern, chumps.
I have a feeling this will settle the long-time debate of Nature's Claim or Chain of Vapor for dredge. The winner obviously being Claim now. I don't think you'll want Ancient Grudge any longer. Grafdiggers did to grudge what leyline did to Ray of Revelation. This card is worse for dredge than leyline, because nobody will have concerns about using it. Dredge is gonna have to up their answers, for sure.

Any hate against dredge backed with counters was usually tough to beat. The good thing was that most hate was one-shot effects, like crypt, relic, extraction, macabre. Apparently that wasn't good enough. If this card had a color requirement, then I'd much more relieved. Unfortunately, I think we'll see this in a lot of sideboards.

And wtf to the "or libraries" at the end of the first clause. I'm starting to have fun building a GSZ deck and this bullshit comes out. You can't even tutor for answers to it. 

tl;dr LAME!!! keep pushing modern, chumps.

The debate that was settled for dredge is whether to chose that deck or not. And the answer is no, not anymore.

Actually, if this was white, I would be happy as hell. It would have awesome flavour, give a boost for a color other than blue against combos, it would be a well-made card.

But now, just look at it! Even the picture is lame! It's actually incomplete, the cage should have a trollface flag somewhere on it and the coffin should have the "ok..." face drawn on it. This literally sucks and I'm happy as hell to see that we all agree that this is lame.

I want to see the banhammer hitting this thing so hard. I'm gonna get my 4 copies for my countertop deck, but if the DCI guys do their thing right and ban that cage, I'll be literally feeding that playset to my cat and my fireplace.
This won't make me shelf dredge. They still only get four and legacy is so diverse than few people will dedicate more than those four slots. It makes me happy I bought LEDs though, since a speed boost is one way to beat hate. I'm not gonna abandon ship just yet.

There is some limelight for the deck. We do get eight careful studies soon to find hate. Cage doesn't exile any of our discards, which hasn't been a luxury of hate in the past.
This won't make me shelf dredge. They still only get four and legacy is so diverse than few people will dedicate more than those four slots. It makes me happy I bought LEDs though, since a speed boost is one way to beat hate. I'm not gonna abandon ship just yet.

There is some limelight for the deck. We do get eight careful studies soon to find hate. Cage doesn't exile any of our discards, which hasn't been a luxury of hate in the past.

Yep, I'll find those Lootings definately. And that positive thinking is very nice, so as both a Dredge and a Countertop player, I'll have to test both hating Cage and playing Cage. I'll never stop hating the card though. It's probably even worst than Mental Misstep; at least, Misstep was liked by some. Haven't seen one person liking Cage until now and I don't think it's gonna happen.

They'll play 1 in their Enlightened Tutor toolboxes. It's not the end of the world for Dredge, but I'm happy I didn't buy LEDs in the end, I know I would be raging just now. With a strong possibility of a Cage coming down Turn 2, Dredge has to try to combo off very fast. One might as well play some Storm variant. At least Storm is not strongly dependent on graveyards.

I'm sure they considered the consequences for Dredge and other Legacy decks, I mean, it's impossible not to see how it wrecks Dredge and Reanimator and green tutors, and just thought, "Nah, screw 'em."

In Legacy, Blue is the best color. Let's punish blue, in Modern. And they listened!
UW Blade is the one of the few decks that can run this game one, the way I see it now. I hope they don't, but it's a possibility. If they only use one in an e. tutor package, then that's better news for dredge. We'd be much worse off if they use four hard copies obviously. I'm not sure if they'll use it main or not, we'll just see.

With cage, we can still dredge as hard as we want. I think that'll be an important part of beating it. There has to be a way that we can still go off as normal and then bring back a spell or land or something to destroy the cage. Maybe life from the loam with some land has an answer? I'm reaching here, but there has to an answer out there.

Dredge's resiliency is always being tested and it has survived this long. I kinda doubt a single artifact is going to stop the deck at this point.
UW Blade is the one of the few decks that can run this game one, the way I see it now. I hope they don't, but it's a possibility. If they only use one in an e. tutor package, then that's better news for dredge. We'd be much worse off if they use four hard copies obviously. I'm not sure if they'll use it main or not, we'll just see.

With cage, we can still dredge as hard as we want. I think that'll be an important part of beating it. There has to be a way that we can still go off as normal and then bring back a spell or land or something to destroy the cage. Maybe life from the loam with some land has an answer? I'm reaching here, but there has to an answer out there.

Dredge's resiliency is always being tested and it has survived this long. I kinda doubt a single artifact is going to stop the deck at this point.

How are you going to go off, if your Narcomoebas stay in the graveyard? The way I see it, the only possible option for that kind of plan, is going off, make the opponent think you're stupid and had an opening hand with Nature's Claim. Even with that kind of plan, it seems awfully slow, since the only creature that will come into play afterwards is Ichorid, to trigger the Bridge. I think the best plan is to keep drawing, since we have 16 draw effects and not 12 anymore, until you find something to break the cage.

I've got a question though. Where's Islands? Sure, I can hear him screaming all day, I just wanted to see him here!
I had the same initial reaction, but it only hurts Dredge, and I think Dredge can survive. Decks running NO and GSZ don't usually rely on them, Reanimator usually dies to hate anyway, and other decks are unphased. Not sure how losing Dredge would affect the meta, but as long as Storm, Zoo/Goblins/Affinity, and Stoneblade survive, I think the meta will be pretty stable.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
This isn't the end of the world for any deck. Crypt is still better if you want to abuse your own graveyard, Green Sun's Zenith, or Natural Order, which is a lot of tier 1 right now. Dredge still does what ever it does to stay alive in games 2 and 3. (Despite having the cards for it, I've never played with it in a tournament.) Reanimator will still dig for removal while dumping cards in the yard, then Reanimate, Animate, Exhume, whatever once it is gone. I am thinking that this card is inferior to tools we already have like Scavanging Ooze, which is not only inhibiting, but a threat. In fact, if you are running Scavenging Ooze, you are not going to run this card at all because you are more than likely running GSZ. It's symmetry that kills this card's playability in most decks.

It's only good for some decks that are mostly the fair deck class; decks like Zoo, Merfolk, or GWx, Bant lists that are not running GSZ. Merfolk was already declining. Ad Naus doesn't care about slowing down Dredge. Loam can run it. Seems ok for them for a time, but Loam is so slow the opponent is bound to find an answer in the 15 something turns it takes to pin them down and kill them. Enchantress can run it, but why not run Ground Seal and draw a bunch of cards while you are at it? This card doesn't fit in enough decks to destroy the metagame.

I won't be running it at the GP because I'm playing with GSZ. If someone boards it in against me, I'll shrug and hope I don't pile up too many GSZs in my hand, or just Brainstorm that stuff away. Maybe I'll draw into Trygon and kill it for free. I am completely unconcerned about this card.
Level 2 Magic Judge Lite a man a fire, warm him for a day. Light a man on fire, warm him for the rest of his life.
We'll see. I just consider it a bad-made card, since it hits too many things. Of course, even with difficulty, even if it puts you on the defensive for too long, it still can be answered. Time will tell, but until then, I'll keep hating this card. Kill it! Kill it with fire!
The annoying thing is it doesn't even touch goyf the most vanilla card in the format.

Hopefully it will get the banhammer. Trinket mage is in the current standard format isn't it? They might have that in there to hate on flashback. I was having fun with GSZ in my elf list too Guess im going back to control.

This is the new vintage?
I agree with Leftconsin and Igri.  Its not gonna kill any deck.  Dredge will have a hard time with it, but hasn't dredge always had to play through hate in G2 & G3 as long as its been around?  Sideboards will need tweaking and it might slow us down but we wont be crippled by it.

What I think is that R&D is just really really really really stupid. Think about when they released this.  Its a complete grave-strategy hoser being released in a mostly graveyard themed block.  They also are trying to bring back flash back and just released a new mechanic (undying) that all just become useless by 1 SB card.  From a marketing standpoint, they couldnt have made a worse choice. 
My point of view is that this card hits exactly the decks that bring new people to the format. Dredge becomes harder and harder to play, Elves lost their GSZ. I think WoTC should have understood how easily they can get people playing legacy, by releasing products like Graveborn. Instead, with this card, they're saying "no! We DON'T want new players for this format, let only the richest Team America guys play!". It doesn't kill decks, it kills tactics, which is even worse. What is a new player supposed to play now, really?
Ah man, my last GSZ JUST came today. WTF.

My guess is Maverick will go back to running 4 pridemage MD. Any green deck already has access to a ton of artifact removal, and GSZ is simply a good tutor, not the engine of any deck.

This REALLY hurts Reanimator imo. Especially if people double down on hate with stuff like crypt and this box. I mean, doesn't faerie macabre already basically wreck Reanimator? Now permanent based hate is even more potent.

Dredge will probably be ok. It still has access to nature's claim. Manaless dredge seems dead though.

An interesting answer to snapcaster perhaps?

Does this let more budget strategies like burn have a better chance?

"There are some who call me...Tim?" Go Duke! I apologize for my lack of grammar, spelling, and coherence in my posts. Former Member: Team ABS

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/

Yep, I think reanimator's more dead than Dredge. Actually it may be a good thing. Maybe if less and less people play those decks, then the cards will go down in prize. Could be a good chance to grab some staples, especially since this card has a good chance of getting the banhammer.

I think Dredge is dead by every contro deck that uses cage. Yeah, even if an aggro deck casts that Cage, Dredge has the destruction, but against a control deck, you've got Force of Will to face. You'll first want to cast a Therapy from your hand, pray that you got right the guess, unless you're running something like Gitaxian Probe in there. A crazy plan I've got is playing 4 Nature's Claim, 2 Ancient Grudge, 2-3 Duress in SB, just because I can't rely only on Therapy against control anymore.

It really devalues snapcaster, but it just feels like playing a Relic of Progenitus against Tarmogoyf. The opponent will probably have answers to that kind of playing.
I'm currently buying pieces for my reanimator deck. This pisses me off being a very low budget lover of competitive play in anything in depth. As if yard hate wasn't already annoying. Graveyard manipulators have to run hate hate enough already. I feel like i'm going to have to rely on MD to answer any threat outside of yard hate. 

I strongly believe this card can be easily ignored but i don't the budget to do what i would need to do. I was also preparing to build a dredge deck. This screams stupid as loud as it can get. I just really want Mark Rosewater to stop. He rides the flavor **** a little too hard i think. So much less focus on the playability of cards and more focus on trying to play out a story with two decks of cards. This could be very viable in the next "un-set" 
Just a thought. What was the last time a hate card was banned? 
I'm currently buying pieces for my reanimator deck. This pisses me off being a very low budget lover of competitive play in anything in depth. As if yard hate wasn't already annoying. Graveyard manipulators have to run hate hate enough already. I feel like i'm going to have to rely on MD to answer any threat outside of yard hate. 

I strongly believe this card can be easily ignored but i don't the budget to do what i would need to do. I was also preparing to build a dredge deck. This screams stupid as loud as it can get. I just really want Mark Rosewater to stop. He rides the flavor **** a little too hard i think. So much less focus on the playability of cards and more focus on trying to play out a story with two decks of cards. This could be very viable in the next "un-set" 

This is indeed unfortunate. That last part about Maro emphasizing too much on flavour is indeed right, but we can do nothing about it. The way for wizards to make money in a time of economical crisis, is bringing new players in, even if they just play for a month. Flavour is a crucial factor to get an individual play magic.

Just a thought. What was the last time a hate card was banned? 

Invalid argument. We saw a vanilla beater getting banned just recently. There's a first time for everything. If the card is bad for the format, it gets banned, that's how things go.
If they were willing to kill 5+ decks when they banned Survival they are not banning a card to save one. Also, they didn't ban Tarmogoyf to save Goblins, and Goblins is a lot more iconic and similarly budget.
If they were willing to kill 5+ decks when they banned Survival they are not banning a card to save one. Also, they didn't ban Tarmogoyf to save Goblins, and Goblins is a lot more iconic and similarly budget.

But survival was unfair and not fun, like misstep and cage. Tarmogoyf is neither unfair, nor not fun. Besides, aren't Goblins of a higher budget than Dredge?
Nah, Goblins are dirt cheap by Legacy standards. 

I don't think "destroys one archetype" makes something bad for the format, unless that one archetype is a cornerstone. Dredge is NOT a cornerstone of the Legacy meta. It would be a cornerstone if it was the ONLY combo deck; it is most emphatically not, nor even the most iconic.

Dredge is old, powerful, well-known, budget-friendly for new players, yes. Dredge is fun to play, and fun to play against. It is ubiquitous, but somehow does not elicit the sighs of "Really?" that many other heavily played decks (especially combo decks) receive across the table. But archetypes come and go constantly. Who plays Dream Halls now? How many Stasis decks are top 8ing? Those decks were iconic as well. Years ago. And then they were gone. You know what we did? We moved on. We brought them up every once in a while for nostalgia, and to test the waters of the meta. But we didn't rage about losing our favorite toy. I would hate to see Dredge go, and still believe it will survive much better than people expect, but if it does go, that's how the meta is. Do you really want a meta of Dredge/Storm-Merfolk/Stoneblade-Affinity/Zoo/Goblins forever?
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Nah, Goblins are dirt cheap by Legacy standards. 

I don't think "destroys one archetype" makes something bad for the format, unless that one archetype is a cornerstone. Dredge is NOT a cornerstone of the Legacy meta. It would be a cornerstone if it was the ONLY combo deck; it is most emphatically not, nor even the most iconic.

Dredge is old, powerful, well-known, budget-friendly for new players, yes. Dredge is fun to play, and fun to play against. It is ubiquitous, but somehow does not elicit the sighs of "Really?" that many other heavily played decks (especially combo decks) receive across the table. But archetypes come and go constantly. Who plays Dream Halls now? How many Stasis decks are top 8ing? Those decks were iconic as well. Years ago. And then they were gone. You know what we did? We moved on. We brought them up every once in a while for nostalgia, and to test the waters of the meta. But we didn't rage about losing our favorite toy. I would hate to see Dredge go, and still believe it will survive much better than people expect, but if it does go, that's how the meta is. Do you really want a meta of Dredge/Storm-Merfolk/Stoneblade-Affinity/Zoo/Goblins forever?

So here's the thing. I think I agreed that Dredge is far from dead, compared to the Reanimator decks. What I stated, is that the worst part of this card is that it hits your plans, not your archetypes. It hits your green tutors, it hits your flashback spells and your snapcasters, it hits your reanimation spells, it basically hits so many things, for what? For 1 mana. And this goes to every deck, no color restrictions.

Years ago, an author stated that the player who wins in a game of Magic, is the one who controls the most paths between zones. This card, blocks 2 paths: the ways from the graveyard to play and the ways from the library to play. And this, I have to repeat, happens for 1 colorless mana.

And what TomLapille said? That this card was printed to keep Birthing Pod in check. Sure, Birthing Pod, who cares about Legacy? I still have this feeling that we're being so heavily trolled.

Invalid argument. We saw a vanilla beater getting banned just recently. There's a first time for everything. If the card is bad for the format, it gets banned, that's how things go.

My point is that cards are banned because they universally invalidate many archtypes and force other players to simply play all the same cards. Has Null rod ever been banned? Circle of Protection: Red? Those cards murder multiple archtypes but they are not banned. Cage kills graveyard play and happens to kill GSZ. Oh well. Move on.

My point is that cards are banned because they universally invalidate many archtypes and force other players to simply play all the same cards. Has Null rod ever been banned? Circle of Protection: Red? Those cards murder multiple archtypes but they are not banned. Cage kills graveyard play and happens to kill GSZ. Oh well. Move on.

I find your lack of attention disturbing.

I just said, that it won't really kill any archetypes, it will just do more than that. Hell, Misstep killed Countertop but that was the least of the problems Misstep caused. And how exactly Circle of Protection: Red murders multiple archetypes?
At first I looked at Dark Ascension and thought it would be alright. Flayer of the Hateboud. Potentially competitive zambies. But this is just shameful. It's offensive. How is this card any fun at all? 
At first I looked at Dark Ascension and thought it would be alright. Flayer of the Hateboud. Potentially competitive zambies. But this is just shameful. It's offensive. How is this card any fun at all? 

DA in general seems like a parade of crappy mythics. Only Sorrin seems decent. The rares until now are nothing special too, I only like Thalia. Apart from that, it was just ok, until that cage showed up.
I'm still looking forward to the zombies. I definitely agree with the crappy mythics comment though. Starting to look like a bunch of re-hashed ideas being watered down with high cmc. 
I'm still looking forward to the zombies. I definitely agree with the crappy mythics comment though. Starting to look like a bunch of re-hashed ideas being watered down with high cmc. 

That black counterpart of Kitchen Finks looks good. Don't know if it will actually see Legacy play, but I guess we can hope. I think it most certainly has a place in The Gate decks.
I plan on trying out Zombies. Gempalm Polluter and Unbreathing Horde give me hope. Along with a slew of 1cmc 2/2s and 2/1s. 
I expect that thing to be banned.

I don't, but that's mainly because I'm smart enough to know that Wizards doesn't ban niche counter cards. Ever. I find it especially funny that people complain about cards being a joke in Legacy, which is probably the least skillful format there is, excepting some blocks for standard and block constructed.

Reading through the first post, I picked up "I can't cheat when someone plays this card." Protip: That's the point of the card.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

I don't, but that's mainly because I'm smart enough to know that Wizards doesn't ban niche counter cards. Ever. I find it especially funny that people complain about cards being a joke in Legacy, which is probably the least skillful format there is, excepting some blocks for standard and block constructed.

Reading through the first post, I picked up "I can't cheat when someone plays this card." Protip: That's the point of the card.

Oh, watch out guys, we've got a troll over here.

So, you're smart enough to know that WoTC doesn't ban niche counter cards, but you're not smart enough to see the skill intensiveness the format demands from the players.

So, you're smart enough to know that WoTC doesn't ban niche counter cards, but you're not smart enough to see the skill intensiveness the format demands from the players.

this

it looks like every scrub player will be siding 4 of them with theri playsets of tormod's crypt and relic of progenitus. I'll just do what I always do, play another deck for a while, and let everyone get greedy, and remoive their dredge hate, then play it once the sideboarded grave hate is lower. besides. when you play dredge, it's funny how fast people hit their sideboard to pull out their solutions to everything.    

this

it looks like every scrub player will be siding 4 of them with theri playsets of tormod's crypt and relic of progenitus. I'll just do what I always do, play another deck for a while, and let everyone get greedy, and remoive their dredge hate, then play it once the sideboarded grave hate is lower. besides. when you play dredge, it's funny how fast people hit their sideboard to pull out their solutions to everything.    

Yeah, that's a very possible scenario. Kinda like Lands and Blood Moon. I'm personally switching to U/W Blade Control. However, I sold my dredge deck, mainly to get money for Wastelands, Snapcasters and other legacy staples. I'll have the deck ready soon.

this

Yeah, that's a very possible scenario. Kinda like Lands and Blood Moon. I'm personally switching to U/W Blade Control. However, I sold my dredge deck, mainly to get money for Wastelands, Snapcasters and other legacy staples. I'll have the deck ready soon.

I'm not going to put away dredge because some scrubs found a solution, then get greedy with their sideboards, however, I get a kick out of peple who side nothing but grave hate, and are pretty much all main when stuck against an aggro deck that doesn't need a graveyard. I plan on playing vial goblins again, so i think I'll be safe. that's awesome though that you could get what you need from selling a deck.  

this

I'm not going to put away dredge because some scrubs found a solution, then get greedy with their sideboards, however, I get a kick out of peple who side nothing but grave hate, and are pretty much all main when stuck against an aggro deck that doesn't need a graveyard. I plan on playing vial goblins again, so i think I'll be safe. that's awesome though that you could get what you need from selling a deck.  

Yeah, it was worth it. If not anything else, I sold that deck to a good friend of mine. It's his very first Legacy deck and I think he's smart enough to handle it. Brought a new player to the format, I'm kinda proud about that!

Oh well, I'm interested to see how the format will turn out to be after Dark Ascension. Not many cards are legacy-worth. Sorrin could see some play but I seriously doupt it.
Sorin is going to go the same direction as Liliana 2.0. At least I think so. "Cool" card, it has it's uses and I'm sure it will show up somewhere but it's going to highly overpriced and People will probably lose interest. But the zombies...