YMTC Contest - Create a World in 5 cards!

269 posts / 0 new
Last post
Create a World in 5 Cards

Hi everyone! Welcome to the Create a World in 5 Cards contest! This contest is for both newcomers and vets of YMTC forums who are excited to build worlds with their cards, but don't have the time/stamina to go from zero to 249 cards all the time. Consider this splashy contest the 'short story' version of worldbuilding with cards!

Objective:

Each round, show us a glimpse of a set/block/world in 5 cards, based on a provided criteria.

Your job is to communicating a tantalizing set with well-designed, flavorful entries each round. I'll judge each entry within 48 hours of the round's end to make sure the turnaround is fast-paced. Each entry does not need to be part of the previous entry's world, though there are bonus points for doing so, if able. Your entries will be rated on the following scale (with a total of 50 possible points per entry):

Criteria:

1. Creativity (10): How fresh and new your idea is. New mechanics, new spins on old mechanics, off-the-wall designs and just fresh cards get you higher points here.

2. Execution (10): Brevity is the heart of design. Your idea should have the least amount of cruft to execute it. The better designed and more poetically executed your cards are, the higher your score. 

3. Flavor (10): This score shows how flavorful each individual card is, as well as when taken as a whole. The more flavorful and top-down your designs, and the better they fit together creatively, the higher your score. Note: your cards do NOT need art to score well here!

4. Fun (10): How exciting the cards look and how fun they are to play. The more fun they are and the more 'wow factor' they have, the higher your score.

5. Overall (10): This final score is the gestalt of all the previous categories combined. This is also where I can give bonus points for exceptional effort, risk-taking, or entries that truly go the extra mile.

Detailed Rules:

1. Each contestant will create five cards based on the criteria provided.

2. Each entry's cards must be from the same set.

3. Different entries can be from different sets/blocks/worlds.

4. You can provide any additional information you wish concerning your set along with your cards, but the cards should provide enough of a glimpse of your world setting by themselves. I love reading this stuff, but it's not a crutch for your cards: they should stand alone.

5. While individual cards can come from previous contests, I ask that your entire entry not be previously entered in another contest.

6. Art DOES NOT COUNT towards your score, but if you do decide to render cards with images, please attribute the image to the original artist.

About Me:

Former WizO forum moderator, former art director for WOTC community projects, have designed multiple sets in my years complete with hosted live pre-releases, level 1 judge, and current judge for this contest and overall cool guy!

Results:

• Round 1Design 5 commons, one of each color, that give us a glimpse into your world. Winner: chlnkeeyong

• Round 2: Design 5 cards: 1 of each rarity, and finally a Planechase plane for your world. Winner: theatog

• Round 3: Design 5 cards in another contestant's setting: 1C, 1U, 1R, 1M & 1 reprint (any rarity). Winner: elzaban_the_ethereal

• Round 4: Design 5 rares/mythics that each appeal to one of the five psychographics: Timmy, Johnny, Spike, Melvin, Vorthos. Winner: elzaban_the_ethereal

• Round 5: Design 5 cards that excel at one of the contest criteria: Creativity, Execution, Flavor, Fun. Winner: Theatog

• Round 6: Design a tight horizontal cycle (one card for each color, any rarity). Winner: Theatog

• Round 7: Design 5 exciting rare and/or mythic cards that sell your set. Winner: chlnkeeyong

Contestants & Standings (in order):

Contestant

Last round

Total

Chlnkeeyong50296
Theatog32291
Elzaban_the_Ethereal43283
Cold_Articuno33236
Pietro_aronica30231
TPmanW27221
Kzo37178

Round 1:

Design 5 commons, one of each color, that give us a glimpse into your world.

The focus is to introduce a world setting using the cards with least complexity. Your set's mechanics should appear here (if any), as well as be easy to grok and look fun to play (think Akrasan Squire). Vanilla creatures are great palettes for storytelling, so don't be scared to use them too!

The first round is open to anyone, and will close on 11:59pm, January 18th 2012. I'd like a quorum of 6 at least, so if we don't have 6 by that date, I'll keep it open until we do.

Alright! good luck to all contestants!

My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Placeholder.
Contest-Specific Redeemable Prizes: DaytimeLantern - +5 points on any score-based contest. Redeemable once. If contest is multiple rounds, only redeemable in a single round.
Memo, your post doesn't follow the contest rules. Please read the contest rules and try again?
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I'll let the cards speak for themselves and not describe the mechanics, theme, or flavor outside of them, but I will just say that, no, I don't intend to imply that I'd want all previous Sorceries (like Fireball) and such to be errata'ed with subtypes - that only applies for this block/world. 

Flame Tap 

Instant - Fire  (c)
Flame Tap deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Firecycling   (, Discard this card: Search your library for a Fire card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)

Burning Justice
Sorcery - Fire  (c)
Destroy target creature with power not equal to its toughness.
"I can do a lot more than just shoot glowing red fireballs from my fingertips, insect."
- Chard, Pyromaster

Adapting Seahunter  
Creature - Merfolk  (c)
When Adapting Seahunter comes into play, name a Sorcery type.
Adapting Seahunter has protection from the chosen type. 
2/2

Elvish Gardener  
Creature - Elf   (c) 
Flora Mage (When you cast a Flora spell, if Elvish Gardener is untapped, you may copy that spell and choose new targets for that copy by paying its costs again and tapping Elvish Gardener)
On Celestira, even the most humble beings are well-versed in the art of spellcasting. 
1/2 

Darkness Charm 
Instant - Charm
Choose one - Look at target opponent's hand and choose a Light or Flora card from it, and that player discards that card; or target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn; or target creature can't be the target of spells and abilities its controller controls until end of turn. 
[spoiler Plane - Elissia]This is a Plane of Dreams where dwellings on her sister-plane "Rikonda" come to when they dream. This plane hosts the immaterial form subconciousness of neighbour planes and other ethereal native beings.

[spoiler White]The Dancer
Creature - Shade
Ethereal (You may attach Aura cards from your hand to this creature anytime you could cast an instant. As it enters the battlefield, pay its mana cost or sacrifice it.)
Reasons are of no importance here - only what you do matters.

2/2

[/spoiler]

[spoiler Blue]Claim Sanity
Sorcery
Scry 4.
Chime — If you have cast a spell with converted mana cost 1 this turn, draw a card.
Don't look for what you don't want or you might just find it.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Black]Squealing Rat
Creature - Rat
Vanishing 2
Whenever you remove a time counter from Squealing Rat, target player discards a card.
Not all creatures represent themselves in dream as their original self in the real world. Somehow some of the most unpleasant just do.
2/1
[/spoiler]

[spoiler Red]Lost Warrior 
Creature - Human Beserker
Vanishing 4
Chime — Whenever you cast a spell with converted mana cost 4, it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
They are unstoppable when they have focus. Sadly focus is the rarest commodity in the Dreamworld.
4/4[/spoiler]

[spoiler Green]Dream of Self Fulfilling 
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +3/+3.
If time counters would be removed from enchanted creature, instead it doesn't.

[spoiler Note:]
Ethereal is to represent the unstable shifting nature of native being in the Dreamworld. Mechanically, i hope strengthen aura play by migitate the risk of investing resource on Aura during your main turn. Might sometimes score a CA when as tricks.

Dreaming visitors are mostly represented by vanishing creatures/permanents. They have their due time here and in time they will wake up (removed from this world, but somehow ending in graveyard in terms of our game).

Dreams are represented by auras. 

Monocolor hybrid are re-introduced as well to work with Chime. None of the spells will have all-hybrid cost to emphasize that all colored cards in this set will have at least 1 color identity. [/spoiler]
[/spoiler] [/spoiler]

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Tactical Strike
Instant
Target attacking or blocking creature gains first strike until end of turn.
Monochrome - If that creature is monocolored, it gains double strike until end of turn instead.

Song of the Seraki
Instant
Target player puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard, if it's a colorless card that player puts the top four cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

Forlorn Lynrax
Creature - Cat
Scavenge 1 (As this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of creature cards from your graveyard. This creature enters the battlefield with that many +1/+1 counters on it.)
1/1

Adrenaline Rush
Instant
Target creature gains haste until end of turn.
Monochrome - If that creature is monocolored, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn.

Vineweaver
Creature - Elemental Druid
Reach
, Sacrifice ~: Add to your mana pool.
"They give their lives holding together that canopy-roof. Why do they not allow my Salvation to shine upon them?" - Idesmar
0/2

An old concept I had a slight skeleton for, hard to represent as a whole through one of each color since the theme of the set is colorless vs monocolored, I think I somewhat got it through though. Idesmar is the colorless planeswalker that's the source of the conflict, draining colored mana from things 'n such.
Candore
No Hard Feelings
Show
Territory Claim

Enchantment – Aura (C)

Enchant land
You control enchanted land.

"Let us strike a deal. We will take the Incanto Avenue warehouse... you can have the park."
–Tereni Meraviglio

Show
Warning Shot

Instant (C)

Warning Shot deals 2 damage to target player. Creatures that player controls can't block this turn.

"I believe in wand-of-fire diplomacy."
–Sorriso Calore

Show
Unfortunate Accident

Instant – Crime (C)

Destroy target tapped creature. If that creature died this way, keep Unfortunate Accident secret. (If you have no secrets, put the top three cards of your library face down to become them. Then shuffle this card into your secrets instead of putting it into your graveyard.)

"We offer the sincerest of condolences."
–Domino "Heartless" Meraviglio

Show
Private Eye

Creature – Human Advisor (C)
2/1

When Private Eye enters the battlefield, look at target opponent's hand and secrets. Then that player shuffles his or her secrets.

He uncovers the mysteries that the police don't dare to solve.

Show
Hardline Gumshoe

Creature – Human Officer (C)
2/3

When Hardline Gumshoe deals combat damage to a player, exile the top card of that player's secrets. If it's a Crime, that player skips his or her next untap step.

There are three kinds of cops in the cesspit that is La Grandia: the cautious, the corrupt and the dead.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Some good entries so far! (Is it weird I wish I could enter my own contest?)
This seems like a terribly interesting contest, but I think I need to not commit to another at the moment

I think I will however, be keeping track of this <3
Show
Agemos is a barren, harsh plane where water is scarce and food even scarcer. Most of its inhabitants have become nomadic and travel in search of shelter from the scorching sun and of supplies to last until the next Rain Week, an unpredictable climatic event which is the basis of most life there. The few sources of water and arable lands have become heavily fortified citadels, controlled by the Bajaam Guards, a military order of austere but just knights who organize them so that everyone can get a fair share. Life on Agemos is full of hardships and suffering, and one needs to develop thrift, thievery or ingenuity to get by.

Bajaam Townwatch
Creature - Human Soldier
Parsimony - As long as you control three or less lands, CARDNAME has lifelink. 
"They live like peasants, but judging by the fierceness of their soldiers, you'd think they're guarding a treasure."
Martan, the Bandit King
2/2

Rain Dance 
Sorcery
As an additional cost to cast CARDNAME, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
Whenever target land is tapped for mana this turn, add to your mana pool.
Draw a card.
Not all shamans can wield the power of the storm, but those who do become revered chieftains.

Banish to the Desert
Instant
Destroy target creature unless its controller pays .
There are no prisons on Agemos. Being left in the middle of the desert is the punishment for major crimes, and it is tantamount to a death sentence.

Viashino Marauder 
Creature - Viashino Rogue
First strike
When CARDNAME deals combat damage to a creature, attach all equipment attached to that creature to it.
Swords and protective gear are prized loot, but the items that fetch the highest prices tend to be quality canteens and compasses.
3/1

Patient Farmer
Creature - Human
Thrift - At the beginning of your precombat main phase, you may choose to not play a land this turn. If you do, CARDNAME gets +1/+1 until your next untap step.
"The most common mistake amongst wannabe bandits is to try to rob villages of farmhands. Turns out that a life of toiling on hardy ground makes you pretty resentful of those who try to skip work, and plenty strong to bash them too."
Mohad, Garrison Commander
2/2

Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.
This is a timely thread for me so I'll be sure to try to enter.
I've always had a bit of a 'thing' for the Three Kingdoms era. It remains one of my oldest passions in regards to literature, history, and flavor. And its something I've been thinking about revisiting for a while, though I've had other obligations. Malivar, Contest like no Other, Yarium's contests [first Red V. Blue, then Mole Contest], and others all divide my attentions (not even mentioning real life and activities on other boards). So it feels natural that I should return to that set and idea to reforge it in a more modern way and give it the time and attention it deserves. (A block or two )

An Empire Long Divided Must Unite, An Empire Long United Must Divide

A list of set specific mechanics [They could all use a little work and refinement:

Horsemanship (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with horsemanship.)

Scout (Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a opponent you may look at the top card of that player's library)

Offensive Preparations (At the beginning of your combat step, before you declare attackers, you may ____________)

Defensive Preparations (Whenever you would declare blockers, before you declare blockers, you may ____________)

Homebound (This creature cannot attack a player unless that player controls a land that produces mana that is required to cast it.)

All human creatures do not have the 'human' type, but rather have a faction type instead. When there is no faction involved then they are 'civilian'.

cards *SUBJECT TO CHANGE*
Qizhou Merchants
Creature - Civilian
When ~ comes into play creature spells cost less to cast until the end of turn.
When Liu Bei wished to start up an army of volunteers he first went to the bazaars and caravans of merchants to purchase weapons for his soldiers.
1/1

Lost Scrolls
Instant
Counter target spell, skip your next draw step.

Cao Jie's Attendant
Creature - Han Adviser
Defensive Preparations On your opponent's turn, before you would declare blockers you may pay to have any number of attacking creatures get -1/-1 until the end of turn.
Flavor Text
1/1

Yellow Scarved Trooper
Creature - Turban Soldier
Haste, Horsemanship
~ cannot block
Flavor Text
2/1

Daoist Recluse
Creature - Civilian
Homebound
:Tap: add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
Flavor Text
1/2

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

Civilization () on this plane is trying to unlock and control the essence of the universe, using the hidden numbers/names of the cosmos.  uses this knowledge to "protect" the people. is more or less trying to predict the future. craves power, believing that once the hidden name of a thing is known it will be dominated. Unfortunately as they tweak the universe, anomalies (which begins to form an unseen lattice connecting the unrealated, basically nature "healing" itself) begin to appear in ). In addition, the agents of chaos () are trying to subvert this process, believing only evil can come from conformity. Calculate is just an ability word.

Guard Tactian 

Creature- Human Solider (C)
Creatures you control with converted mana cost less than Guard Tactian gain vigilance.
The term "well oiled machine" implies the possiblity of a breakdown, the members of my watch don't "breakdown".
2/2

Obsessive Numerologist 
Creature- Human Wizard (C)
: Draw a card, then put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library.
Every number they discovered was checked, rechecked, checked a third time, then carefully cataloged for future checking.
1/1

Essence Warp

Instant (C)
Calculate- As an additional cost to cast this spell, reveal a card from your hand.
Target creature's toughness becomes equal to the revealed cards converted mana cost until end of turn.

Break Concentration 
Sorcery (C)
Target opponent chooses and discards 2 cards, then choose 2 cards from that player's graveyard and return them to his or her hand.
You were saying?

Webhollow Anomaly 
Creature- Spider (C)
Reach
: Target creature and each creature with the same converted mana cost as that creature gain reach until end of turn.
"Don't worry sir, the scouts reported just one spider in the area. It shouldn't prove too troublesome."
1/2
Just a quick reminder that round 1 of the contest is to design 5 commons, one of each color. The objectives are to whet our appetites for your world and show off simplest iterations of new mechanics.
Shield Drummer
Creature - Human Bard
Defender
Inspire first strike (Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, other creatures you control gain first strike until end of turn.)
"When the drums of war are the shields of men, the soulforged warmachines will rise again." -- Delmen sage
0/2

Merfolk Piper
Creature - Merfolk Bard
Islandwalk
Demoralize (Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, creatures your opponents control get -1/-0 until end of turn.)
Although beautiful to the merfolk, the sound of a water flute sends shivers down the spines of men.
1/1

Wretched Vocalist
Creature - Zombie Bard
Intimidate
Wretched Vocalist can't block.
Demoralize (Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, creatures your opponents control get -1/-0 until end of turn.)
When the throat of a zombie trembles, so do the knees of its enemies.
2/2

Goblin Flameharper
Creature - Goblin Bard
Inspire haste (Whenever this creature attacks or blocks, other creatures you control gain haste until end of turn.)
Singed feet are the punishment for not running from the flameharpers.
1/1

Sylvan Dancer
Creature - Elf Bard
: Add to your mana pool for each Bard creature you control.
The pulse and rhythm of the dancers resembles the mana rituals of those from other lands.
1/1
~Wonko the Sane~
Mana Symbol Order
One color - list that color: (ubrg), (w) (brg), (wu) (rg), (wub) (g), or (wubr) Two "ally" (i.e. adjacent) colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (brg) , (rgw) , (gwu) , (wub) , or (ubr) Two "enemy" (i.e. not adjacent) colors - start in the larger of the two empty spaces, then move clockwise: (rg) (u) , (gw) (b) , (wu) (r) , (ub) (g) , or (br) (w) Three "ally" colors (Alara shards) - start in the empty space, the move clockwise: (rg) , (gw) , (wu) , (ub) , or (br) Three "wedge" colors (two adjacent and one away from the other two) - start with the "enemy" color, then move clockwise: (u) (g), (b) (w), (r) (u), (g) (b), or (w) (r) Four colors - start in the empty space, then move clockwise: (g) , (w) , (u) , (b) , or (r) Five colors - start with white, then move clockwise:
This seems like a terribly interesting contest, but I think I need to not commit to another at the moment

But your designs are so cool! Cry

But your designs are so cool! 

Now now, let's not say things we can't take back..

..naw but really, I just started into Warhammerz!  I got vampires (And literally like 150 Skele/Zombies) to paint ;c

Between failing at Yarium's Mole contest, and throwing stupid things at Imz for Dark Ascension, my brain is just hitting the fan lately.
Ok. You still have a placeholder on pg 1 anyhow so feel free to enter if you change your mind.
Oramgard:
Oramgard is plane inspired by Norse (viking) mythology. Various tribes go on their daily lives, like raiding opposing villages, making sacrifices to their gods, hunting mythical creatures and so on. Not gonna talk about storyline there, we will get there later. Yeah, and clans are named after their patrons, that's why.

Quick note on Rage: About two years ago, I had account with different name, so please don't say I'm stealing another person's ideas, if someone remembers it.

White:
If you think about it, vikings are pretty white. They are all about honorable fight and honorable death and so on, so I decided white will go with combat theme and dying in combat theme - not like those dirty sneaking backstabbers. Plus, it has small life matters subtheme.

Baldurheim Honorseeker
Creature - Human Warrior
When CARDNAME dies, if it died in combat, gain 3 life.
"I fear not death in battle, for Valhalla takes brave as it's own."
1/2

No white soldiers in world when proud men wear bear furs, sorry.

Blue:
Blue are clans of best fishermen and sea raiders. They have small unblockable subtheme, as for "they're coming from sea" but blue is primary represented by sages and farseers that scry. Yeah, scry.

Sage's Wisdom
Instant
Scry two, then draw a card. If you do, discard a card.
There are sages that predict outcomes of war. But I am content with weather forecast, if you don't mind
- Erik the Blind

I am almost absolutely sure that I costed it wrong.

Black:
No more zombies! Primary tribe in black (aside from humans, that is) are skeletons. I just love skeletons and they don't get love they deserve :/ for now, they are stuck with regeneration, but I plan on giving them some more identity.

Helhrygg Infiltrator
Creature - Skeleton Rogue
Fear
: Regenerate Helhrygg Infiltrator
More and more restless dead come back from afterlife instead of living forever in Valhalla.
2/1

Red:
Red is about fury. Unequaled unmatched dury. Berserkers and dragons over here. Expect some giants along with green.
And Rage. I mentioned it. So, Rage: Whenever CARDNAME deals damage to a creature equal or greater to that creature's toughness, something happens.

Wodenhnefi Berserker
Creature - Human Berserker
Rage - Whenever Wodenhnefi Berserker deals damage to a creature greater than that's creature toughness, put a +1/+1 counter on Wodenhnefi Berserker.
"ARRRRRRRGH!!!!"
2/1

Green:
And here we got green. In green, there are giants and wild animals. I decided I want to go on with token production and Rage. So here we go:

Freyást Bearcaller
Creature - Human Shaman
When Freyást Bearcaller enters the battlefield, if you control two or more Forests, put a 2/2 green Bear token onto the battlefield.
Bearcallers often spend years in Great Forest, learning to live and hunt alongside beasts they revere.
2/2

That's it for now. Hope I didn't .... it up.
Mechanics
Ability word:

Defiance — [Some creatures] block this creature if able.

It's like anti-evasion.

Keyword:

Dreamfight (Whenever this creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, this and that creature phase out.)

Inspired of course by Dream Fighter. I didn't include it in my submission, so I don't know if I'll be able to use it later. And maybe it should be only when it becomes blocked. IDK just yet.

Other Mechanics:

Phasing in and phasing out. I'm not including the keyword "Phasing" cause I don't really like it.
Slowing the game for your opponent. Making him redo actions or similar stuff. Bouncing, putting cards on top of library.
Illusions.

Cards:

Ætherworld Lead Researcher |
Creature — Human Advisor - (C)
At the beginning of your upkeep,
you may phase out a blue permanent
you control. If you do, draw a card
when it phases in.
"Knowledge in this world runs out fast.
We must seek new sources."
1 / 3

Luddite Brute |
Creature — Orc Warrior - (C)
Haste
Defiance — Artifact creatures block
Luddite Brute if able.
"What'z thiz? Can I breakz it?"
5 / 2

Faithful Sowing |
Sorcery - (C)
Search your library for a basic land card
and put that card onto the battlefield
phased out. Then shuffle your library.
Sowing in the Ætherworld is the easy part.
Returning to harvest is what gets most
people killed.

Ætherworld Melodies |
Enchantment - (C)
Whenever a permanent you control
phases in or phases out, you gain 1
life.
You can forget about the background
screams after listening to such
comforting tones.

Déjà Vu Imp |
Creature — Imp Illusion - (C)
Flying
Sacrifice Déjà Vu Imp: Target
opponent puts a card from his or her
hand on top of his or her library.
Implants chaos in your mind.
3 / 1

I wanted to post renders as always, but unfortunatelly I won't be able to do it today.

My first YMTC Hope it's ok

Show
Everlast is a plane disjoined between the Arx Believers and the Followers of Moldavi. Centuries ago Everlast was united under Arx, God of Heaven, until Moldavi, Son of Ivan, the God of Hell, was sent to Everlast to conquer what used to be his father's territory. Over time, Moldavi spread the Word of Ivan gaining followers for a revolt against Arx. Years after Moldavi's arrival in Everlast the Arx Believers and the Followers of Moldavi have fought many times only to result in an unjust blood bath which yielded no results. These two sides now separated by Angel Tears River, a place where it's said Arx's Angels tears reach Everlast and one day she will come to fight Ivan to end ever-growing conflict. Overtime this has become less then an argument over land than a Holy War against one another. Now in modern day Everlast the Moldavists are building up an army to once and for all defeat the Arx Believers; while the Arxys are building up their defense they know they're no match for another barrage by the Moldavists... Their only hope is for their prays to be answered, that Arx will save them from the hand of Ivan.

Tribal Backgrounds

Black - Bandits, Criminals, and Exiles of Everlast, these humans were the first Moldavi came to start the rebellion.

Blue - Mages and Mystics of Everlast. Peasants come to these mages to predict their future and learn spells for battle.

Green - Animals, Plants, and Trees torn between the two sides plaguing Everlast. While Animals head to the Arxys' aid, Vegetation joins the ranks of the Moldavists

Red - Unknown to many, the western most point of Everlast is three inactive volcanos which now are inhabited by Dwarfs who know not of Arx or anyone else in Everlast... At least until Moldavi came.

White - Peasants, Priests and Purists, these are the Arx Believers who saw through Moldavi's preachings and wish only to live in harmony. Though they understand that cannot always happen.

Set Specific Mechanic

Low Strike - When a creature with Low Strike deals damage to a creature, that creature does not un-tap during its controller’s next un-tap phase.

Martyr (x) - When a creature with Martyr is placed into the Graveyard, it deals damage to an opposing player equal to its Toughness. If a creature has Martyr (x), where x is a number, then the damage dealt to the opposing player is multiplied by the level of Martyr. For example: A creature is placed into the Graveyard with a Toughness of 3 and Martyr 2, this creature would deal six total damage to the opposing player (3x2).

Soulswap (x) - A creature with Soulswap may sacrifice its self from the Battlefield to the Graveyard, and the creature's controller takes life equal to x. If this Mechanic is activated then a creature that died this turn, from the Battlefield, may be brought back from the Graveyard under your control.

First Five Cards

Human Marauder
Creature - Human Bandit (C)
Low Strike
Whenever Human Marauder enters the Battlefield, you may tap target permanent.
2/2
"Watch your kneecaps"

Discovered Knowledge
Sorcery (C)
Revel cards from the top of your Library until you reveal a land card, then place the cards revealed this way back in any order. Draw a card.
"You never know what you might find." - Trinket Mage

Seed of Corruption
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant Land
Enchanted Land may be tapped for twice each turn as long as a Black, or Green Mana is added to your Mana Pool. Otherwise, it can't tap.
"You can’t control when flowers will bloom, but you can make sure they bloom in the right place."

Dwarven Foot Soldier :R:
Creature - Dwarf (C)
Low Strike
1/1

Arx Purist
Creature - Human Soldier (C)
Martyr 1
1/2
"Whether I die slowly or painfully I know Arx will be with me now and forever!" - Arx Purist
Man, I want to use Karia for this but I still don't have any keywords for it. :/
blah blah metal lyrics
I swear I hadn't seen pietro_aronica's entry beforehand. I've been trying to do something workable with this set for a couple of years (I think this makes my fourth shot at it).

Dromad Caravaneer
Creature — Camel Nomad C
Vigilance, desertwalk
“I’ve been on plenty of trade caravans in my life, and never have I been happier than to be following a dromad who knows where he’s headed. I could live without the spitting, though.”
—Iblis Goldtooth, Triadan merchant

1/4

Reconsider
Instant C
Return target spell to its owner’s hand.
Purity — If you spent only blue and/or colorless mana to cast Reconsider, you may draw a card.
"I'm sure if we just sleep on it, cooler heads will prevail."
—Kalle'sard the Azure, marid vizier

Dessicating Touch
Enchantment — Aura C
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has lifelink and wither. (Damage dealt by it also causes its controller to gain that much life. It deals damage to creautres in the form of -1/-1 counters.)
Tales of man-shaped pillars of salt lying amongst the dunes aren't as far-fetched as they seem.

Sun Stroke
Sorcery C
Mirage (If this spell would resolve, you may pay . If you do, its other face resolves instead, with the same targets.)
Up to three target creatures can't block this turn.
Fatigue can set in quickly out on the sands...
//
Sun Scorch
Sorcery C
Sun Scorch deals 3 damage to each of up to three target creatures.
...But a fiery death can set in quicker.

Oasis Tender
Creature — Dryad C
: Add or to your mana pool.
Relics of a bygone age, the dryads keep the last bastions of life in the wastes from becoming much the same.
0/1
Man, I want to use Karia for this but I still don't have any keywords for it. :/

You can just post ones that don't have the keywords yet. A big part of the contest is an engaging world to explore, so just give us a glimpse in 5 cards and you definitely have a shot! 
So far we have our quorum of entries so Round 1 ends tonight at 11:59pm Pacific time (GMT -8:00)! The entries look outstanding so far. We have a few people with placeholders, so hopefully they can finish up their entries:

• BelangiaJo

• Memo213 (entry is blank but I'll assume it's a placeholder)

• Mata_Hari (shant be able to enter. )

• Kzo

• Nyktos (you can still give us a glimpse of your world, keywords aren't a requirement!)

Will be posting a final list of contestants tomorrow. Good luck! 
So does that mean I'll have to wait if I want to enter? Cry
So does that mean I'll have to wait if I want to enter?

Nope, you can enter right now! The contest is OPEN until 11:59pm tonight so please do enter.

You can just post ones that don't have the keywords yet. A big part of the contest is an engaging world to explore, so just give us a glimpse in 5 cards and you definitely have a shot! 

I guess. That's what I did for the booster bonanza contest.

Well, maybe if I'm feeling creative.
blah blah metal lyrics
Unfortunately I shan't be able to enter.
Time left? I suck with time zones.
6 hours or so? If it takes a little longer it's fine. I'm not a stickler.
6 hours or so? If it takes a little longer it's fine. I'm not a stickler.

Nah. I'm already done.
Okay sounds good.
Everyone else seems to be doing a card for each color but I didn't see that in the rules so here's the world of Mindscape:

Lifeless Auton
Artifact Creature- Construct {C}
If you control an enchanment ~ gets +3/+0
0/3

Frontline Summoner
Creature- Human Druid {U}
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player creature spells you cast cost less to cast for the rest of the turn.
2/2
      "Does for the rest of the turn" work?

Standardized Equipment :U::U:
Enchantment - Aura {R}
Enchant artifact
Artifacts you control are copies of enchanted artifact.

Awakener Cleric :W:
Creature- HUman Cleric {U}
When Awakener Cleric enters the battlefield, target enchantment becomes a 2/2 spirit creature with flying for as long as Awakener Cleric remains on the battlefield. It’s still an enchantment.

Iron Herald
Artifact Creature- Golem {R}
When Iron Herald enters the battlefield, reveal the top four cards of your library. Put all artifact cards revealed this way into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Other artifact creatures you control get +1/+1.
4/4

Hoping you already all caught on but the theme of the set is supertypes.
:W: is focused on creatures and enchanmtents but supports most everything and therefore likes when you control multiple card types.
:U: is big on instants and artifacts with a side of sorceries because as we all know blue creatures are usually underpowered anyway. :U: is also the home of type alteration much like it messed around with creature types in Onslaught. Naturaully this leads to all sorts of combo-riffic strategies.
:B: is fairly balanced between supertypes and mostly cares about which ones are in the graveyard.
:R: loves sorceries, likes creatures and hates artifacts (unless it's usng them as fuel).
:G: is all about the creatures, and lands, and enchantments alittle bit. Actually it might want to trade places w/ White in this set...
Firmament

The celestial tethers are being severed and the atmosphere on Terra is getting tense.

Dignified Pocket
Creature - Dwarf Soldier (watermark: Terra)
Veteran 1 (Whenever ~ is blocked, put a +1/+1 counter on it at end of turn.)
2/2
Even the low folk can grow in stature.

Starbright Harrier
Creature - Bird Cleric (watermark: Celest)
Flying
2/5
"Fear not my flock. I still have entry to Celest's spheres of influence."

Manic Preacher
Creature - Snake Cleric (watermark: Terra)
Frenzy 2 (Whenever ~ attacks and isn't blocked, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn.)
2/1
"If you are caught between the worlds, no law of land or heaven will save you."

Undercloud Bat
Creature - Bat (Watermark: Celest)
Flying
Sacrifice ~: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
1/1
"Like acid rain on the just and the unjust." - Ogler's Cuss

Celestial Tether
Land
: Add :1: to your mana pool.
, sacrifice ~: Target blocking creature with flying gets -2/-1 until end of turn.

Hey, looks like I'm just in time. Good thing too, because I had this awesome idea I wanted to get out...

Ildaxia
The Plane of Ildaxia has done the impossible. It has done away with war. The nations no longer settle their problems with armies and weapons; to do so is anathema. The mere thought of such a conflict is nearly incomprehensible to these people. Instead, all problems are settled with Clash, a brutal bloodsport - nominally safe but very violent - in which teams represent their home and their country to determine who wins a given conflict - be it ownership of an area, control over resources, or even the domination of one nation by another.

Countries aren't the only ones to solve problems with Clash. No matter what you do for a living, everybody plays Clash at least casully, and if you have a problem, you round up some friends and settle it in a local arena. Violence outside an arena is strictly prohibited, save for the armored enforcers and their nonlethal weapons.

All of society in Ildaxia is foucused on Clash. Farmers sell food at the arenas. Weavers design uniforms. Lawyers anyalize the rules of Clash to determine if a given move is legal. Proffesional Players are heroes and celebraties, choaches are great generals, judges and referees are soverigns and lords of their domain. Such a simple game, to an outsider - deliver the ball from the center of the field to the opposing team's goal - but the rules are many and complex, to the point where they can only be comrehended by those who spent their life living by them. AFter a while, the Players say, you develop a 'feel', where the game becomes part of you and you instinctively know what to do.

Tribal Themes
White: White contains few actual Players. Instead, white is the color of the infastructure of Clash itself - the judges, the referees, the coaches, the enforcers... everyone who makes Clash possible. They enforce the rules, and god help you if you break them. Also contains many of the more honarble players, who live for the game itself and what it represents.

Blue: Many non-players like this color as well, primarily coaches and those who interpret the rules. However, it also contains many players who prefer to play smarter, not harder - utilizing strategy, stealth, and trickery to get past foes. A popular color with Runners, whose job is to take the ball to the goal at top speed, and Tanglers, whose job is to distract, trick, and otherwise occupy opposing Players.

Black: Not everybody plays fair. Black is the color of cheaters, those to whom winning means more then playing. While they my not all directly break the rules, they do bend them. The team doesn't matter. The game doesn't mater. The coach, the crowds, the countries depending on you... none of it matters. All that matters is the ball, the goal, and bringing the two together. By yourself.

Red: CLASH RULES! Red LOVES Clash. It's pure energy and violence, spirit and heart and emotions clashing on the battlefield with others jsut like you. It's not just a game - it's life itself. There is NOTHING like Clash. NOTHING. The color of the larger, stronger players, Red is a violent color that likes to slam past it's foes, single-minded in it's goal. Breakers who knock holes in the defensive lines, some of the larger Runners, and Slammers who target and disable key players all prefer Red.

Green: Like Red, Green really loves Clash. It's all about instinct and survival. The stronger team wins and gains advantages for it's home. It's Survival of the Fittest, distelled to a (relatively) safe form and cloaked in civilization. It's the ultimate evolution of society - mimicking nature, but better. The best win, the weak lose. An important difference between Red and Green, however, is the team. While Red sure does appreciate strong teammates, it's Green that truely appreciates the value of teamwork and is capable of seeing the big picture. It's popular with Blockers, who stop oppsing Runners and Breakers, Defenders, who protect the player carrying the ball, and Launchers, who place the ball where it needs to go - ususally, into the hands of a fast Runner.

Strict Judge 
Creature - Human Referee {C}
: No players may play instants or activate abilities this turn. Activate this ability on your turn.
1/2
Play by the rules, or don't play.

Echo Runner 
Creature - Faerie Runner {C}
When ~ attacks, defending player must select two blockers and tap them both. You select which of the two creatures blocks ~. If the defending player only has one creature, he can't block.
2/2
Trying to catch a faerie runner is like trying to grab a mirage.

Glue Pellet 
Instant {C}
Target blocking creature gains -1/-1 until end of turn.
Techincally, hindering movement isn't against the rules. Just don't expect to make many friends.

Body Check

Instant {C}
Tap a creature you control. Deal damage equal to that creature's power to target creature an opponent controls.
The most effective way to get someone out of your way.

Bull Rush

Sorcery {C}
Target creature you control with power greater then 3 gains Trample this turn.
He was like a cannonball, fired straight at us!

I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Ca I enter? or am i too late?
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
Round is closed! Will judge and get everything sorted hopefully by tonight/tomorrow! Stay tuned!
?
So is theScion comming back or does someone else want to take up judging responsibility?
So is theScion comming back or does someone else want to take up judging responsibility?

Its too early for that. Besides, give him some time. Its only been a few days.

Hey Everyone, if you have a few minutes I'd like to point you to two links that you might find interesting. The first is a plane of my own creation that is still in the works. I am always happy for some assistance in working on it.

The second is a link to the oldest continuously running contest in the You Make the Card forum. It is truly a contest like no other. It is faithfully run by a handful of regulars who are always kind and open to any new comers, please drop by and check it out if you're interested in making cards!

Sign In to post comments