New Player, tips for making a deck?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was going for either a White/Blue control deck or a Green/Black Elf deck. Any tips would be helpful. Also, i'm trying to stay on a budget of around $ 20, so please don't recommend cards that cost any more then $ 5
Decent white/blue control deck will cost you more than 20$ (well if you want to win with it from time to time), green only elf deck, you can make one for 20$
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
Are you looking at making a current Standard deck, or just a casual 'any card' deck?
Some general deckbuilding guidelines:

60 cards is the minimum, you have to have at least 60.  Unless you're playing Battle of Wits, there's no good reason to go above this minimum.  We would all play 40-card decks if we were allowed to, for the added consistency.

Similarly, the maximum of any card you're allowed to have in your deck (besides basic lands) is 4.  Again as a matter of consistency, you want to have a small number of different cards, with multiple copies each, instead of lots of different cards at 1- and 2-of each, but you don't necessarily need 4 of every card.  Some cards you will want to draw lots of starting early on, while other cards you might not need more than one of and don't want to draw it until later on anyway.  Here's a (simplified) chart detailing how many of which cards should go in your deck:
4x: These are cards you want to see early and often.  You're hoping to draw one of these in your opening hand, usually wouldn't mind getting more than one, and definitely don't mind getting several (two or three) over the course of a game.
3x: These are cards you don't necessarily need in your opening hand, but you still want to see at least one pretty much every game.  Sometimes two, if it goes on long enough.
2x: These are cards you don't need more than one of in a game, and won't want to (or be able) to cast it until later on anyway.
1x: You don't usually want to run singleton copies of cards unless you have tutors or some other way to search for them.  Otherwise you just won't see it often enough for it to make a difference, and it might as well be a third or fourth copy of something else.  The exception to this is when a card is very similar in function to another card, and you just want more copies.  For example I might really want five Lightning Bolts in my deck, but I'm not allowed to use that many.  In that case I might use four of them, and a single Shock as the "fifth Bolt" or something like that.

24 lands.  This might not be the right number for your deck, depending on how you build it, but it is a very good starting point if you don't know anything else.  After playing for a while and getting a feel for your deck you might want to adjust this a bit, but 24 is a good place to start.

Here's an exercise: How many cards are in a Magic deck?  Did you say sixty?  Well, you might be right, except that it's a trick question.  The answer is nine.  Nine different cards, with four copies of each one, and 24 lands make for a 60-card deck.  I know I just said that you don't necessarily want 4x of everything, but when you're new, trying to think about 60 cards all at once (or even 36, if you don't count the 24 land) can be a bit daunting.  Try it out.  Pick out nine cards you think might work well together, get four copies of each one (you might want to stick with commons and uncommons for this), toss in 24 basic lands, and call it a deck.  While it may not be a great deck, it's somewhere to start, and will get you playing Magic right away.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
The other reason to run singletons (besides Commander) is Vintage, where nothing's banned for power, but rather restricted to 1. Most of these are cards that, when played, you basically win.

So 60 cards, 4 of any other than basics, check the banned and restricted lists. You can also have a sideboard of exactly 15 cards, swapped in on a one-for-one basis on rounds 2 and 3.

Sideboard note: Pick ones that actually help you against decks you tend to lose against, and plan for what you'll take out. (For instance, against an infect deck, take out something with lifelink for Mirran Crusader. The double strike helps against a lot of the smaller infect creatures, and anything black or green, the most common infect colors, can't touch the Crusader. By contrast, lifegain is useless against infect.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
@snowyy
 I was mainly going to play with a few friends, but in the future after I get a lot better, I might try FNM at my comic book store