01/17/2011 SF: "Blobbing Along"

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Dies to... damn.

Needs evasion.  Yeah, that's it - needs evasion.
Dies to... damn.

Needs evasion.  Yeah, that's it - needs evasion.

I really like this card. First card so far that makes me say "I want this." Just one, though. For Commander. Sure, there's undying, but I can see that the two revealed undying Green cards, the geist and insect, are going to be relatively hard to get (and Vengevine still is).
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
This is why I run cards like Tribute to Hunger and Mystifying Maze.
This is why I run cards like Tribute to Hunger and Mystifying Maze.

I thought Zur was? This is nothing. And also why we run things like Lightning Greaves and Asceticism Laughing.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

While this is pretty cool, it's not quite what the intro text made me think of:

Unstoppable Ooze
Creature - Ooze, 1G, 0/1
Unstoppable Ooze is indestructible as long as you control a swamp.
Damage dealt to Unstoppable Ooze does not heal during cleanup steps.
Unstoppable Ooze gets +1/+1 for each damage marked on it.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi

While this is pretty cool, it's not quite what the intro text made me think of:

Unstoppable Ooze
Creature - Ooze, 1G, 0/1
Unstoppable Ooze is indestructible as long as you control a swamp.
Damage dealt to Unstoppable Ooze does not heal during cleanup steps.
Unstoppable Ooze gets +1/+1 for each damage marked on it.

I'm thinking something a lot more Mary Sue, and a lot less jank -- what's that about "heal" and "marked on it" again? Meanwhile, it's just fine. Vorapede is pushing things, just as Vengevine was pushing it.
I like the idea of Novablast Wurm plus indestructible creatures, but it's a bit of a pity that all the Wraths will kill Novablast as well. Reasonably fun card, though it's not really my kind of thing (I don't do green stompy). As Qmark says, it really wants trample. I think there's one or two ways for green to give creatures trample though.
While I agree that it "could" use trample, what would be the point.  It gets bigger each time it attacks and gets even huger when your opponent is finally forced to feed it as it has gotten so large.  Definately a sweet card.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
What would be the point? Simply that there's a few too many decks that can make a 1/1 chump blocker token every turn, or keep regenerating a 1/1 regenerator. And in either of those situations, yes, you've got a guy getting gigantic, but he's making no progress at all towards actually winning you the game.
I for one like the fact that it needs other cards to become a real serious thread, (although there are plenty of decks that would already have problems with him as is.) giving him trample or letting him fight shouldn't be to much of a problem since you most likely are already firmly green given the triple green casting cost. I like it that he is not an "I win" card the moment he resolves but rather puts your opponent on a clock that keeps speeding up if he doesn't find a way to deal with it.
I for one like the fact that it needs other cards to become a real serious thread, (although there are plenty of decks that would already have problems with him as is.) giving him trample or letting him fight shouldn't be to much of a problem since you most likely are already firmly green given the triple green casting cost. I like it that he is not an "I win" card the moment he resolves but rather puts your opponent on a clock that keeps speeding up if he doesn't find a way to deal with it.

100% agree with you on this. When you have a handful of cards that can just win by themselves regardless of what the opponent does, it really doesn't matter which one you resolve; they all are effectively the same card (printed text, "You win the game."). On the other hand, when a card either can't win by itself or at least can be contained in some way by the opponent, it actually matters which card you play. This is definitely A Good Thing (tm), and leads to More Fun (tm) for both the opponent (they get a chance to fight against you) and for you (your choice to include that card vs other cards of similar power level is tested). Thanks for not just printing more card with printed text, "You win the game."!

Also, The Game.

Yep, I agree. Just because a card would be better with X that's no reason it should have X.

We like synergy. We like enabling. We like building smart decks.

This is one of the reasons I actually prefer to play this over Vorapede, because the added ability to give your opponent options increases the tension and therefore flow of the game. In a word, "interesting." And anyways, that's what Rancor is for ;).
It seems clear that this card was based on the classic horror movie, The Blob (the Steve McQueen version). I like it, and it looks fun to play around, although I don't think it fully captures the essence of the Blob. The Blob was a terrifying being. It grew incrementally, and even the slightest contact with it meant certain death.

Interestingly, I designed a card a few months ago (albeit in private, not shared in any public forum, so there's no real way for me to verify that I designed it prior to reading this) to try to capture the essence of the Blob.

The Blob
3RR
Legendary Creature - Ooze
Whenever CARDNAME blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, gain control of that creature and put a +1/+1 counter on CARDNAME. That creature is an Ooze in addition to its other types and gains this ability.
3/3

At first I felt like this design hit the mark and was fairly balanced. Stealing creatures works in red, and at Legendary, you can't spam the board with these. The only problem with this version is that you create an army of separate blobs, whereas in the classic movie, the Blob was just one entity that grew enormously. This version is undoubtedly more fun, but I think it misses the trope. A better version would be:

The Blob
3RR
Whenever CARDNAME blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, destroy that creature. If you do, put X +1/+1 counters on CARDNAME, where X is that creature's power.
3/3

This version is just one fatty instead of multiples, so it's less exciting, but it's closer to the idea of the Blob.

Returning to Predator Ooze (the card that actually has any real world value, instead of my wild fantasies), I think it sufficiently sums up the trope. The indestructibility is a huge advantage, and I agree that having it grow slowly over time rather than in giant leaps makes for more interesting gameplay.

EDIT: Changed the text to read "Destroy that creature. If you do, put..." so that the Blob only gets counters if the creature dies.
Of course, I could also take this card over the top to try to bring it as close to the movie Blob as possible:

The Blob
3RR
Whenever CARDNAME blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, destroy that creature. If you do, put X +1/+1 counters on CARDNAME, where X is that creature's power.
Whenever CARDNAME becomes the target of a blue spell or ability, tap it. It doesn't untap during it's controller's next untap step.
3/3

Of course, in the movie, the Blob really was indestructible, so that would have to be included as well. I only refrain from using it here because I don't want this card to be too powerful (and also, there's already a great deal of text on it as is).
OMG, if they are fully going to dredge classic B-movie horror films to create cards, they need something to evoke "the Thing":

Not quite Takklemaggot, but ya gonna do?!

edit: Like much of Innistrad and Dark Ascension, this is top-down design. It felt more complicated to promote the idea that the parasite controlled the creature because that would have added a whole 'nother line to the current text in comparison, and because the parasite took over the body, but didn't necessarily follow anyone beck and call. Additionally, growth of the creature increased with each body it jumped, and it promoted this by attacking recklessly and always killing in its defense, so it is always essentially in combat rather than playing a Mind Control game. It can't infest dead bodies, so the dead or the undead (Zombies and Vampires) are immune to the effect, which also helps promote the "Humans are good targets" concept.

The cover is copyrighted by Darkhorse Comics, and is the cover of "The Thing from Another World," illustrated by John Higgins (attributed). Just making sure this is noted, and that the helmet on the figure's "head" is clearly sci-fi and not fantasy.
The Blob
3RR
3/3

I would think that you would want it to get +X/+X where X is that creature's toughness. Didn't the blob grow in size based on the mass of the thing which it absorbed, not how dangerous the thing was?
The Blob
3RR
3/3

I would think that you would want it to get +X/+X where X is that creature's toughness. Didn't the blob grow in size based on the mass of the thing which it absorbed, not how dangerous the thing was?

Presumably, the original alien lifeform grew exponentially relative to the organic matter it consumed (apparently entropy doesn't work on it). My favorite take on it, though, is this:

That card doesn't really need the deathtouch clause.
On defense, it can (usually) only block one creature, and power 12 or greater will kill almost every creature it could block.
On offense, the first ability destroys the blockers before damage is even dealt, so deathtouch will never matter. Really, stopping at trample is good enough (though it having trample means there's exactly zero reason to ever block it after that point, as the blocker dies before it absorbs even a single point of damage. And worse yet, blocking it actually increases the damage you take.) And without the deathtouch clause, it comes down to the standard seven lines of text. Plus, the flavor of deathtouch is redundant with the first ability.
Still, a cool design. I like creatures that gain abilities as they grow in size.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)