01/17/2011 LI: "Cheap and Deadly"

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

This card should have been green.  This card needs to be green.
Green in the flashback isn't quite good enough.

The card isn't bad and I like what it does, but I was expecting something really cooler for that art. Maybe even a legendary vampire.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Green's getting so much love this block yet some are still not satisfied. This card fits perfectly into both black and green, but black needed it this time around. Green got Prey Upon last set for limited, what did black get? Victim of the night? Yeah that card helped me in 2 of 10 games last pre-release. Oh and Dead Weight meh useful as utility removal but white won on the destroying race last set. It's kind of awesome though after seeing the Predatory Ooze before this I was thinking "Damn I need to give it deathtouch". Next preview card BAM deathtouch!! :D
I don't mind this card being in black, but it should cost B1. Lure is a one shot effect anyway most of the time, and it's still priced at 1GG. This is weaker than Lure, sure, but it's off color. It needed to have costed a tad bit more.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Is it just me or did writer of the article just miss the fact that the card also had a lure effect too?

Inferno titan owns up to nine dudes...  
Is it just me or did writer of the article just miss the fact that the card also had a lure effect too?

Inferno titan owns up to nine dudes...  

No.  It simply says "must be blocked" not "all creatures able to block".  So he only has to throw a single creature in front.
Interesting article. When I first saw the card my immediate reaction was that it was unplayable, but I assume WotC wouldn't offer an unplayable card as a preview. I'm curious to see how it plays, now.
I'm happy this card is only uncommon, as I need a foil for my theme deck just for the art =)

As for the actual art, it's very intriguing how flashback can make so-so mechanics worthwhile, so thaty contributes to the awesomeness of this limited.  
Cool card. I hope this boosts BG Morbid since the archetype was lackluster in triple Innistrad. Some things to think about:

- Deadly Allure should be awesome in a deck with Undying guys or tokens. 

- Sacrifice effects that were weak before such as Demonmail Hauberk should be awesome in a deck with Undying guys and tokens.

- Morbid should be awesome in a deck with sacrifice effects.

- Morbid triggers would be helped greatly by Deadly Allure.

I can't wait to try out decks that weave together these synergies. There probably are multiple viable color combinations, just like self mill had multiple color schemes.
Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Very well designed card; useful, new combination of effects, but not a slam dunk in any deck.  And the art is awesome.  My only complaint is that Steve focused too much on odd color combinations when evaluating the card - use with white cards, use with red cards, etc.  This card is clearly designed to be most easily and effectively used in a green/black morbid deck, so allow easy flashback and trigger morbid effects for a low cost.

Interesting article. When I first saw the card my immediate reaction was that it was unplayable, but I assume WotC wouldn't offer an unplayable card as a preview. I'm curious to see how it plays, now.

I, too, don't see this as a particularly high limited pick; Dark Ascension is looking more and more like a token-heavy set, which both gives this sort of card fuel (more useless creatures to throw against your opponent), but also takes away from the potential power level of the card (opponent has more useless creatures to block with). I imagine it being a filler card, rather than an all star.
Cool design! The card in itself is relatively weak and not a very high pick at first glance, but it's also far from a blank and will find fitting homes. Flashback gives it the right amount of value for it to be very worthwile in decks with both colors and with creatures that don't create card disadvantage when you sacrifice them, of which there is a good amount of in this block (tokens, undying, death triggers). It is also a good skill tester in that you have to judge carefully when to side it in/out or not, and in game, how to best use it or play against it. Good job!
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
This card is terrible. I get to 2-1 myself to kill their bomb if I'm Lucky? The only way to make it good is to look for half-assed synergies with bad cards?

I feel bad for Steve having to write an entire article about a 14th pick like this.
This card is terrible. I get to 2-1 myself to kill their bomb if I'm Lucky? The only way to make it good is to look for half-assed synergies with bad cards?

I feel bad for Steve having to write an entire article about a 14th pick like this.

Bit higher than that considering the draft includes a lot of methods of getting creatures back, or making tokens with more than 2 power. For example, use this with Strangleroot Geist, or Vorapede, or a pinger like Olivia Voldaren. In Limited, you'll pick repeatable mass 1-sided kill this way when you have any creature with 2 or more power that trades itself for half of their stuff, or better. Add in undying, and its not a reall loss at all.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
This card is so cool! It can stop the opponent from blocking with that one bad A blocker and let your other guys go for the health. Not to mention it is a control spell. If you are playing with a control deck it might as well be a kill spell. My only beef with the card is the art is so awesome...probably too awesome for the card. It fits but dang... Steve Argyle did some VERY good work.
This card is terrible. I get to 2-1 myself to kill their bomb if I'm Lucky?

It's more likely to work than you seem to think.  The usual competitive playstyle, especially in Limited, it to attack with as much as possible as often as possible, then play the next turn's bomb.  When all his dudes are tapped except the guy that's gonna kill you next turn or soon, gimpy-lure plus deathouch is hilarious.

Great. Another way to give tokens an advantage (they can sacrifice two of the 4 tokens they got with their one card to this card over the course of two turns or they can use their own 1/1 to kill one of my creatures with it). So, with today's revealed card I can now lose even more card advantage unless I also want to play tokens. Yay.

I guess Sever the Bloodline is going to be a 4-of in every main deck from now on.