U/R Burning Vengeance

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone, I am working an a budget blue red burning vengeance deck and I am looking for some deck advice.  I know snapcasters would help but at this moment they are somewhat out of my price range.  I have been debating about adding solemn simulacrim and slagstorm to the deck.  Any advice is greatly appreciated

11 island
10 mountain
2 shimmering grotto

4 delver of secrets

3 burning vengeance
4 mana leak
4 desperate ravings
3 dissipate
3 forbidden alchemy
4 geistflame
4 incinerate
2 rolling temblor
2 silent departure
4 think twice
The first thing I would advise doing is swapping out the Delvers for a slower finisher.  When I first built my Burning Vengeance deck I tried 4 Delver, and even when I got them on turn 1 and flipped them turn 2 they were still only mediocre.  Also, another thing I found out while playign the deck was that if you try to kill your opponent off burn and Vengeance triggers, you'll rarely succeed.  The deck works much better in a rock-control style deck, which using Burning Vengeance and the soon to be released Secrets of the Dead in order to grind out additional card advantage from your flashback spells to gain inevetability, then killing them with a finisher once you've exhausted most of their resources.  Along those lines, I would suggest replacing the Delver with something sturdier and more expensive (in terms of mana).  In block Manor Gargoyle is the finisher of choice, but for standard Frost Titan, Inferno Titan, Consecrated Sphinx, Wurmcoil Engine and Myr Battlesphere are all reasonable answers of varying levels of budgetness.  

As for what you have right now, I would strongly suggest going up to 24 or possibly even 25 lands.  While a lot of the spells you play are cheap the first time, you'll find that once you want to start flashing spells back it can get expensive, particularly when you NEED to flash multiple spells back in one turn ( trust me, it happens a lot).  I'd also strongly suggest looking into getting a set of Sulfur Falls.  They are somewhat expensive but you'll find your deck runs much more smoothly with them.  

Another card to look to adding is Devil's Play.  It's removal early in the game while also serving as burn later on.  I's probably run it over Rolling Temblor (which should move to the sideboard once you build one or be cut entirely.  Blasphemous Act is a much better alternative to Temblor).  

Other than that your list looks solid.  You don't need Solemn Simalcrum if you get the lands (which will be cheaper and produce better results) and I wouldn't add Slagstorm to your maindeck untill after you've picked up Snapcaster Mage (although sideboarding them is fine).  My main reasoning is this - the more non-flashback spells you add, the more desperately you need Snapcaster Mage for the deck to function.  Although most of my experience with BV comes from playing it in block, there (where the only non-flashback spells I run are Brimestone Volley and Dissipate, Snappy is just extremely good, not necessary (although having turns where I cast snapcaster targeting Brimestone Volley in respone to my opponents attack phase, chump snapcaster, then volley them in the face for 7 with BV out for lethal is extremely satisfying).  Any more non-flashback spells, however, and having Snapcaster becomes necessary in order to trigger Burning Vengeace, reducing the value of the enchantment.  

Also, as a bit of a gift, in Dark Ascension (which releases in a couple of weeks) look for Faithless Looting and Secrets of the Dead as key cards to add, alongside whatever, U/R spell-land they print (a WB spellland was recently spoiled, so it looks like they're finishing the cycle in Dark Ascension) 
Thanks for the advice.  I have seen some of the Dark Ascension previews and figured that this deck could be a half decent budget deck that could hold its on.  For now this is what my new build looks like 

9 island
9 mountain
4 sulfur falls
2 shimmering grotto

1 frost titan
2 inferno titan
1 myr battlesphere

3 burning vengeance
4 desperate ravings
1 devil's play
3 dissipate
3 forbidden alchemy
4 geistflame
4 incinerate
4 mana leak
2 silent departure
4 think twice
I'd advise using Chandra's Phoenix. I have a playset in my BV deck and they are allstars. They can chump block as well as provide good damage.