venser q's

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
does venser's emblem go away if I restart with karn... I assume so?

Also, if I cast mana leak, and the player pay's the 3, did the spell still cast, but have no affect, or is it countered? It doesn't say it's countered on the card, just ".unless..."
I have venser's emblem, and need to know if it triggers that way.

does venser's emblem go away if I restart with karn... I assume so?

Yes, emblems go away when the new game starts.

Also, if I cast mana leak, and the player pay's the 3, did the spell still cast, but have no affect, or is it countered? It doesn't say it's countered on the card, just ".unless..."
I have venser's emblem, and need to know if it triggers that way.

Countering means preventing a spell from resolving. It was cast, nothing you do will uncast it.

Venser's Emblem's ability triggers and is already on the stack by the time you has the chance to respond the spell with Mana Leak.

[<o>]
Yes, to your first question. Restarting the game with Karn is the only way of getting rid of an emblem I've heard suggested that does work.

In order for you to cast Mana Leak in the first place, the spell must already have been cast. Not only does Mana Leak not go back in time and "un-cast" it in your scenario, but contrary to what you appear to think, no counterspell would do this, even if it successfully countered the spell. You can't use countermagic to keep Venser's emblem from triggering.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Yes, to your first question. Restarting the game with Karn is the only way of getting rid of an emblem I've heard suggested that does work.

In order for you to cast Mana Leak in the first place, the spell must already have been cast. Not only does Mana Leak not go back in time and "un-cast" it in your scenario, but contrary to what you appear to think, no counterspell would do this, even if it successfully countered the spell. You can't use countermagic to keep Venser's emblem from triggering.

if I mana leak your mana leak, them my spell doesn't cast so it doesn't trigger venser, or am I totally wrong?

if I mana leak your mana leak, them my spell doesn't cast so it doesn't trigger venser, or am I totally wrong?

No that's wrong.  There is a difference between "cast" and "resolve;" they are not the same thing.  If I cast a spell and you Mana Leak it, then we both have cast a spell.  Mine might not resolve, but it still was cast.  Countering it after it's been cast will not un-cast it.  You can't even Mana Leak it until after I'm done casting it.  What's more, if I have Venser's emblem or anything else that triggers when a spell is cast, then that ability will have already triggered and be on the stack before you even get a chance to cast your Mana Leak.  Nothing short of a Stifle or something like it will stop it now.  Mana Leak won't get the job done.
MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!
Once you cast a spell it's cast.  Countering it does not make it uncast.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
so the same would apply for cards that have '...whenever you cast a creature spell..." cancelling it doesn't keep it from resolving then... thanks. I didn't know that.
Yup.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Sign In to post comments