koth of the hammer

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
1. Elemental have sickenss if i use 1st ability?
2. If i have all lands untaped i cant use 2nd ability?
1. Yes. You did not control them since the beginning of your turn, without interruptions, so Summoning Sickness.
Probably no Summoning Sickness, unless you just played that Land. Sorry.

2. Koth's second ability does not care if the Lands are tapped or not. It just counts all Lands that you control and that have "Mountain" in their typeline, tapped or not.
[c]Forest[/c] gives you Forest
Koth of the Hammer

1. No, the animated Mountain will only be subject to summoning sickness, if you played the land that turn. If you controlled the land since the beginning of your turn, it won't be sick when animated.

2. You can activate the ability just fine, it'll count the number of Mountains you control, but it doesn't care if they are tapped or not.
1. Elemental have sickenss if i use 1st ability?

this will depend on how long you've controlled the mountain that you use it on
if you activate it on a mountain you just played this turn, it will have summoning sickness
if you activate it on a mountain that you had on the field since the start of your turn. it won't have summoning sickness

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Hows with 1st ability if i have all lands untaped ? Then i cant use 1st ability or?
Hows with 1st ability if i have all lands untaped ? Then i cant use 1st ability or?

Koth's first ability can target any mountain. It doesn't have to be tapped. If it needed to be tapped, the ability would say "Untap target tapped mountain."
The target of the first ability is just a mountain. If you target an untapped mountain, the part of the ability that untaps it won't do anything, but the rest of the ability will successfully turn it into a creature.
All Generalizations are Bad
Just to clear up the conflicting answers, this:

1. Yes. You did not control them since the beginning of your turn, without interruptions, so Summoning Sickness.

is incorrect.  (Sort of.)

The "summoning sickness" rule doesn't care how long your creature has been a creature, just how long it's been a permanent under your control.  If you turn a land into a creature during your turn, then you can attack with it if and only if you controlled the land since the beginning of the turn.

So if you play a mountain, then animate it on the same turn with Koth's ability, then you can not attack with it since you didn't control it since the turn begain.  But if you animate a different mountain, or wait a turn, so that you have controlled it since the turn began, then you can attack with it since, although it has "put on a new set of clothes," it is still the same game object and it remembers that you have controlled it the whole time.

For reference, here is the rule:

302.6. A creature's activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can't be activated unless the creature has been under its controller's control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. A creature can't attack unless it has been under its controller's control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. This rule is informally called the "summoning sickness" rule.

MTG Rules Advisor since 2007-06-27. Amateur MTG rules nerd since forever. Download the official rules and more at wizards.com/magic/rules -[ IronMagus' New Marketplace Trade Thread ]- 100+ completed trades!