I still want heroes of the Astral Sea

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Because A) it'll be converted to 5e the way the last books for 3.5 were converted to 4e. B) the excerpts for elemental choas have wetted my appetite for such. C) I hope it corrects and updates the FR pantheon. D) I like divine classes and it'd be a shame to loss the best part of the four part series.

I hope it gets confirmed soon.
Don't forget that it also makes a great counterpart to Heroes of the Elemental Chaos. It can be hard to run a campaign that focuses on being caught in between Immortals and Elementals if we don't get a taste of what it's like on the divine side.
Agreed, besides it could give us some hints at what they are thinking about for divine classes.
What sort of crunch would you like to see in this supplement?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
you know what I'd like to see? The Aasmir, and possibly a celestial class that could represent alot of things fluff-wise, such as being blessed with power from a god or being a half-celestial, or even being a celestial creature in the shape of another race.
Deva is 4e aasimar. The designers said so.
Human with the Deva Heritage feat is 4e aasimar.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

so we can't play a celestial blooded human? ...damn...

Sure you can.  There's the deva bloodline series of feats.  Lets you be any race with a celestial heritage.  Even a tiefling.

Sure you can.  There's the deva bloodline series of feats.  Lets you be any race with a celestial heritage.  Even a tiefling.

Really? sweet where is it?
Deva Heritage feat

Does everybody have me on ignore or something?

It and the other 'Deva Bloodline' feats are in Dragon 374.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Deva heritage.  Dragon 374.

Even a Deva. Bloodlines are strange that way.

Char builder .

Even a Deva. Bloodlines are strange that way.

Probably just means a deva that's more in touch with their angelic past.  Perhaps they're a "new" deva - their very first incarnation as a deva since giving up life as an angel.
Heroes of the Astral Sea would be a great idea for a Planescape style PC guide. The themes could be a stripped down list of factions, presenting the "philosophy shaped" heroes rather than the "elemental blooded" shaped heroes. A paragon path for "factotum" and an Epic Destiny of "Factol."

Non Faction joiners could be a new Free League which are a band of astral pirates represented by a class build for the Rogue (Pirate). Also new Paladin and Cleric builds and maybe an Essentials Artificer.
I can see a couple cool PC race ideas:

Guardinals: Reverse Devas, primal spirits who have joined the heavenly hosts
Hadozee: Cause really . . . just look at them 3.bp.blogspot.com/-JOPpREw_EVM/TxIWaO8e9...
Tiefling: New take on an old race, include rules for swapping your tail or horns for goat feet, claws, aura effects, or small wings. Represent a particularly corrupt house that was dragged to the nine hells but escaped and have colonized the Astral sea.
Modron: Throw those people a bone.

Char builder .

Curses foiled again...anyway I found it...

I don't understand why they cancelled Heroes of the Astral Sea. Even with D&D Next coming out next year it is still likely a good 18 months away. This skittish approach to 4E books during the "sunset" is understandable but not desirable for the folks who would have bought this book. TSR, Inc. kept printing first edition rulebooks after they premiered second edition for a time. I don't mean selling I mean production of printed books to be clear! Since D&D Next is by plan going to be very different from fourth edition it makes sense that folks would finish their current fourth edition campaign before switching. So  Heroes of the Astral Sea still could get a lot of use. It is a shame.

Was it ever officially announced as an upcoming product?
Not yet, but it makes sense, they still need 4e products to sell until 5e is ready.

I don't understand why they cancelled Heroes of the Astral Sea.

Source for this information?
I think just assumed it because it wasn't announced during the future products seminar.

I have noted the no Chapters in Ontario is carrying heroes of the elemental chaos, even though they carried both HOS and HOFW. Its probably because of the 5e announcement, they don't want to bother with 4e products when 5e products are coming.
I think just assumed it because it wasn't announced during the future products seminar. I have noted the no Chapters in Ontario is carrying heroes of the elemental chaos, even though they carried both HOS and HOFW. Its probably because of the 5e announcement, they don't want to bother with 4e products when 5e products are coming.

They are discusing over at www.enworld.org/forum/news/319140-3rd-ho... that most D&D books are now appearing in bargin bins at crazy reduced prices in some countries. Seems WotC may have went a bit overboard with their press tour.
I can see a couple cool PC race ideas:

Guardinals: Reverse Devas, primal spirits who have joined the heavenly hosts
Hadozee: Cause really . . . just look at them 3.bp.blogspot.com/-JOPpREw_EVM/TxIWaO8e9...
Tiefling: New take on an old race, include rules for swapping your tail or horns for goat feet, claws, aura effects, or small wings. Represent a particularly corrupt house that was dragged to the nine hells but escaped and have colonized the Astral sea.
Modron: Throw those people a bone.

The problem with the tielfing 'swapping' is that the current tiefling gets no bonus for its horns or tail.
I think just assumed it because it wasn't announced during the future products seminar. I have noted the no Chapters in Ontario is carrying heroes of the elemental chaos, even though they carried both HOS and HOFW. Its probably because of the 5e announcement, they don't want to bother with 4e products when 5e products are coming.

They are discusing over at www.enworld.org/forum/news/319140-3rd-ho... that most D&D books are now appearing in bargin bins at crazy reduced prices in some countries. Seems WotC may have went a bit overboard with their press tour.

It has been widely confirmed that 4e books are now being dumped into discount book stores. Now is the time to complete your collection, especially if you prefer to buy new instead of used.

Book dumping like this is the absolutely death knell in the book publishing industry. At this rate I think we'll be extremely lucky to get any new 4e print material at all, including the Dungeon Survival Guide. If that one does somehow make it press, buy it immediately as the print run will likely be microscope. I wouldn't be surprised if they chop it up and present as Dragon articles.
Sign In to post comments