What new races wouldja want for 5e?

Well, there's been a lot of wrangling in the topic on 5e races whether or not to bring back the "freak" races (I say the more weird races the merrier, but I digress). But, there's been little talk of what sorts of new races you'd want WOTC to do when they get to the point where they start making new ones. So, this is the thread to talk about that.

Personally, I'd love to see an Abberant PC race, exploring the idea that the Far Realm may have actual good creatures, but those creatures can be just as incomprehensible and insane as the evil ones.

Also, on the less plausible side of things, I'd love to see a race based on John Hodgman's (Yes, the guy fro mthe Mac Vs PC Commercials) mole men from his book "More Information Than You Require" (Which you should all totally read). They're basically 18th-Century-Enlightenment-Intellectual types who just happen to look like naked mole rat people with acidic spit and luminescent slime covering their skin. They both have a unique behavioral and visual hook that I think would work great for a D&D race.
A Good Plant Race

To date, I don't think that D&D has had a single good plant race, at least not playable at level 1. Sure, we've had things like the Wilden and the Hamadryad, but those things have had so much additional weight both in their stories and in their mechanics that the plant themes have too hard of a time coming out. I don't want a plant race that's also blah blah blah and blah blah blah. I was a plant race that's just a plant race. It can have other story behind it, and in fact it most certainly should, but that should be there to enhance, and not undermine, its status as a plant race. Its features and abilities should all be the kinds of features and abilities that a plant should have.

(Edit: Good topic, by the way. Seems to me like it could get people thinking about some cool stuff without being divisive.)

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I'd like to see elementals that aren't genasi based. And maybe even a large race, though I have heard that there are a lot of problems that the team had when they wanted to do that for one of the races. It was in a podcast where they talked about a centaur character and the troubles with rope ladders and climbing.
Ant Farm
Kobolds! 
I agree. I was looking forward to the Wilden and it was a big letdown. It was like a mixture of a Razorclaw Shifter and a Satyr with a leaf cape. I love new challanging races that occupy non-traditional fantasy tropes but I think that they have to spend some time on each one, not just pop them out. These races don't have to be ready at launch or even be "core" but be ballanced.

Also, the undead races in 4e were all underwhelming.  
Samrin, NEW races.

I think Volodni could make the update for the plant race. Just make them look a bit like the Sylvari, and less like "a random pile of crap, packed in leaves".

Elemental races? I'm of a strong opinion the genie races are a good potential PC race (Efreets, Djinni, Marids and Dao) if only given unique traits each.

Outside of that, I prefer (so far) updates for the more unique 3E and 4E races. 
Check out my D&D-based play-by-post game, based on exploration and roleplaying. Agora
Samrin, NEW races.

I think Volodni could make the update for the plant race. Just make them look a bit like the Sylvari, and less like "a random pile of crap, packed in leaves".

Elemental races? I'm of a strong opinion the genie races are a good potential PC race (Efreets, Djinni, Marids and Dao) if only given unique traits each.

Outside of that, I prefer (so far) updates for the more unique 3E and 4E races. 

Hey, I never got Kobolds in 4e. Would be shiny and new for me.
lets see.... what new races

none.

I'd want the
elves and the eladrin back as ONE race( so what each setting had tehir own elves and such)

dwarves( each setting had their own still...)

humans

Shifters
changelings
halflings
gnomes
tiefling
aasimar

dragonborns, and anything else are...              well people will want the its in the phb argument to implement it in each setting, and they don't all fit eac hsetting's theme. that is not to say that you could not non cannon wise present an argument top the dm aabout allowing it at his pr her table.    
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Aberrant race: Elan. Complete Psionic

Sure they weren't any squidfaces by a long stretch but they *are* aberrations.

Honestly... I'd rather see more racial templates at +0 and +1 than straight races. I find templates allow for more flexible character creation than just a truckload of races.
Can we all stay on topic please? This thread has a lot of potential for some great, new ideas. Discussing what old races you do or do not want back is not only off-topic but has the very real potential to be divisive. This is not even about what should be in the PHB but rather in future suppliments, so you wouldn't even necessarily be particularly encouraged to use it.

Anyway, I want an ALIEN race. No, I don't mean an aberration, though I suppose that they could be aberrations. What I mean is that many of our races and creatures in D&D are inspired by mythology, so why not also modern mythology? Give us aliens as a race. You know, like the archetypal grey alien. In D20 modern they were called Fraal I believe? I know some people will think that it's "too sci-fi" but D&D has room to accomodate multiple genres of play, so why not something a bit more in that direction too? I'd love to see how they can be integrated into fantasy lore.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
A Good Plant Race

To date, I don't think that D&D has had a single good plant race, at least not playable at level 1. Sure, we've had things like the Wilden and the Hamadryad, but those things have had so much additional weight both in their stories and in their mechanics that the plant themes have too hard of a time coming out. 

I like hamadryad... probably because of the additional weight.  The old runequest elf I vaguely recall was a plant race think they were light green skinned ;p
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Can we all stay on topic please? This thread has a lot of potential for some great, new ideas. Discussing what old races you do or do not want back is not only off-topic but has the very real potential to be divisive. This is not even about what should be in the PHB but rather in future suppliments, so you wouldn't even necessarily be particularly encouraged to use it.

Anyway, I want an ALIEN race. No, I don't mean an aberration, though I suppose that they could be aberrations. What I mean is that many of our races and creatures in D&D are inspired by mythology, so why not also modern mythology? Give us aliens as a race. You know, like the archetypal grey alien. In D20 modern they were called Fraal I believe? I know some people will think that it's "too sci-fi" but D&D has room to accomodate multiple genres of play, so why not something a bit more in that direction too? I'd love to see how they can be integrated into fantasy lore.

How about an actual Alien? That would probably be better for a monster, but could go well with a Predator race. :P
I like hamadryad... probably because of the additional weight.

I'm not saying to get rid of stuff like the Hamadryad. I'm totally fine with it staying. I'm just saying that, because of its additional weight it doesn't satisfy my desire for a plant race whose theme is entirely about it being a plant a race. If I could make an analogy, it's sort of like the Warforged and the Shardmind. The Hamadryad is like the Shardmind, which is a living construct race but which has a lot of extra story weight to it as well such that the construct-inspired features have to share design space with other features irrelevant to them. What I want is like the Warforged, which is a living construct race without any extra story weight such that all of its features can play up that theme without having to leave room for other themes. I'm totally fine with having both! It's just that having the Shard-Mind without having the War-Forged would be a bit disappointing because of all of the extra story weight I'd have to deal with if I just wanted to play a construct race.

Any intelligent race in any of the Monster Manuals should be presented in a way that they can be played as characters, including the option for emancipated undead, awakened animals, and the like. An edition of D&D where it is difficult to have a party including a sea eld, locathah, and mermaid is right out. 

Rebel Demons and Angels, who have walked away and given up most of their power to do it.
All I'm saying is that my favorite character to date has been my Pixie wizard.
As far as aberrant races go, bring back the foulborn/daelkyr half-blood as a full race, rather than just a bloodline.  I'd also like neraphim back.

But I don't really care about new races as long as A) GNOMES DON'T EXIST and B) we get PROPER, UNGULATE tieflings. Innocent 
Ooo what is "ungulate"? I do not know this word... I must know it. I must add it to my collection.......

As for removing gnomes... I've never even played one, but I think removing any racial option is bad....

*more races for all!!!* *throws confetti*
I'm fine with gnomes, but make them like the 4e gnome. Tinker gnomes ignite a small flame inside that can only end in rage. :P 

I do like the fey gnomes, though. Even if mechanically, they're pretty meh. An improved version in Next would be nice. They're closer to the gnomes of celtic mythology. 
Ohno. Tinker gnomes are abominations that must die. In horrible burning lingering torturous deaths. I will carpet bomb Dragonlance with Napalm if I have to, to get rid of that particular infestation. Kender can join them. *seethes with hatred*

Tho I've had to be more realistic and just ban them from my table. Or rather, I let someone play them, but they usually will only exist in so long as it takes me to give them a suitably horrible gruesome death by which I derive great sadistic glee and satisfaction.

(since I'm too often taken seriously: No, I have no problem with them being published as an option, honestly, I just personally dislike them and the way they're typically played)
Ohno. Tinker gnomes are abominations that must die. In horrible burning lingering torturous deaths. I will carpet bomb Dragonlance with Napalm if I have to, to get rid of that particular infestation. Kender can join them. *seethes with hatred*

Tho I've had to be more realistic and just ban them from my table. Or rather, I let someone play them, but they usually will only exist in so long as it takes me to give them a suitably horrible gruesome death by which I derive great sadistic glee and satisfaction.

(since I'm too often taken seriously: No, I have no problem with them being published as an option, honestly, I just personally dislike them and the way they're typically played)

Love Tinker Gnomes, I would also like my Svirfneblin back.
okay pass on the svirfneblin.

But tinkergnomes??????

*erupts in flame* YOU MUST DIE!!!!!!!

Burnburnburnburn......

*explodes*

:P

Love Tinker Gnomes, I would also like my Svirfneblin back.

Cultural-racial-bloodline feats. Done.

FR 4th ed. may have had not just elven subraces, but otehrs like dwarven subraces. And so, but gottta check the books.

(BTW, we harps on the many elven subraces, but to be fair, dwarves by example had quite a few, if you look at it.) 
Someone mentioned it already but I'd like to see the Mul (half-dwarf) explored in the next edition (outside of Dark Sun that is).

= = =

Rebel Demons and Angels, who have walked away and given up most of their power to do it.

Deva are described as good-hearted angels who took on mortal form.  In doing so, they bound themselves to the the world, unable to return to the Astral Sea.  Check out "Ecology of the Deva", an article from Dragon #374.

/\ Art
Actually playable Bullywugs. It's always disappoiting when a game doesn't put any effort into its joke characters.

I dunno, a ghost/specter might be kinda cool. 

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Cultural-racial-bloodline feats. Done.

On that note, I would like less races (and classes, powers/spells, feats etc) in general (but totally for subraces).

What about a handful of core races and then conversions for monstrous/custom races?
Abberant race I agree that's a great idea, I'd also like Genasi, Shadar-Kai, and true Aasmir in with Devas coming later, Tieflings and drow. Not a fan of Tolkien, so while I do like elves and dwarves, I like the exotic too. Shades, Vryloka, and Foulborn should be subraces.

For Abberant race I'd go with Nothics, accept they feed on all emotions instead just pain.

Wemics would be cool, more mobile then centaurs, Wemics can climb trees and stuff too.

Yuanti-Ti Purebloods.

Oh and my Anima race that I made, a race made of shadows and castoff repressed emotions and drives from humanity.

I actually have a bunch of races they could add, I've only put up the anima cause no one seemed interested. I also have Goetics (a race of choas magicians whose home world was invaded by demons and how bonded the demons to thier souls to gain control and save them selves), The Racked (basicly a race inspired by rock and metal bands like kiss and Alice Cooper, only thier exiled devils in constant pain except which listening or playing music or stoned), Zethrin (a race of highly advanced brains that ruled an empire based on science, but when trapped in a world of magic used thier mental powers to transform local salamanders into brainless bodies to host them so they could survive), Juptiti (a race of miniture human sized spheres of gas shaped like Jupiter, which use gravity and megnetic distortians to manipulate objects instead of hands), Prismi (a race made from solidified light, descended from souls whose light has been referected into a rainbow by the gods, so each Prismi is born with one sibling for each colour of the rainbow), Castelles (a race of crusteans that hang around battle fields, steals dead armoured warriors to lay thier eggs in, so that thier young can devior the body to grow to maturity, using the soldier's armour as a shell to protect they're soft flesh), amoung other ideas for new races.
I don't think any new player races are required for the core rules.  Bring gnomes back into the fold and fix that elf issue that 4th had going on and we are set.  I could suggest removing more races but that would just upset people. 

If you want more options then provide subraces.  Monster races should be kept back for expansions IMO.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised to find a new race in the least... A

Thri-kreen or hairy Mul would get my votes :p
Ooo what is "ungulate"? I do not know this word... I must know it. I must add it to my collection.......

Means "hooved."  As in, the aesthetic tieflings had in 3.x, as opposed to the semi-saurian thing they've got going in 4e...
On the line of plantfolk, i think treefolk would be more interesting.
I've been very happy with the 4e additions to the races. I'd love to see the Illumians brought back with a full write up too.
Now with 100% more Vorthos!
I would like to see the planetouched (Gensai, Aasimar, Tiefling,... was there a neutral?... I seem to recall one but I can't put my finger on it...) presented with a variable morphology, rather than as a "race."  Certainly, they can be purebred, like half-elves can have half-elf progenetors, but I would like to see the various planar beings and possibilities reflected in their appearances.

I hated the 4-e "demonic" tieflings.  One or two like that is impressive... but a whole society?  Silly.
I want my planetouched rare, surprising, and unfamiliar.  I like the idea that an adventurer who spent too much time on the planes or around plaanr beings/energies could produce planetouched offspring.  Once again, I love the imagination DiTerlizzi employed when depicting tieflings in Planescape.

Edit:  As far as new races go, one would be hard pressed to come up with a brand new race that fits fantasy tropes that hasn't already been done at some point in dnd (or something remarkably like it.)   
Some furries that I don't have to make by refluffing other races.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Myconids and Illithids.
Preface: I'm not talking about 5e core races.  (Some people seem to have overlooked that this topic isn't necessarily talking about core).  For new races, I'd like to see:

- Aberrant.  Better yet, bring back the daelkyr halfblood.  I like the idea of a race that gets a free symbiont as a "fraternal twin" of sorts.
- Illumians.  I thought they were fun in 3.5.
- Thri-kreen.  It's not D&D without 'em.
- Killoren or wilden.  I know some people hate them, but they do not fail as plant-folk because they are not plant-folk.  They are all of the wild incarnate.  They may have wooden bones and sap for blood, but they also have fur and claws.  I imagine shark's teeth, spider web jewelry, and more.  In short, a wilden as a walking ecosystem, not as a miniature treant.
- non-humanoid races.  3.5 had less of a hangup over this than 4e did, and I think was in the favor of 3.5.  I feel like D&D has undervalued the ability to play Aesops fables kinds of games, where the heroes might be joined by a talking a dog, a unicorn paladin, or a manticore mercenary.  Damnit all, I've read hundreds of books with party setups not unlike that.  If my group likes that tone, don't forbid us the option.  (Ok, so forbid is too strong a term.  But refusing to support an option implies that "we're doing it wrong."  No, we are not.)
Aberrant race: Elan. Complete Psionic

Sure they weren't any squidfaces by a long stretch but they *are* aberrations.

Honestly... I'd rather see more racial templates at +0 and +1 than straight races. I find templates allow for more flexible character creation than just a truckload of races.

I get whatcha mean, but I was thinking more of an actual from-the-far-realm Abberation rather than a human converted into a slightly creepier human. I really like the like the idea of an abberant PC race that practices a brand of good that is just as bizzarre and nigh-incomprehensible as other abberant's evil, and I would like them to look as weird as stuff like Mind Flayers or Neogi (Maybe a humanoid combination of crustacian and Cnidarian).

And as for Genies as a PC race, I'd think that Jann would work best, because they're the weakest (Therefore most PC friendly) type of genie around.

And as for Furries Salla, what about the Mole Men I mentioned in my first post? Sure, they're really weird naked mole rat furries, but they're still furries!
Personally, I love me some planescape so I'd like to see some of the iconic races back in that vein.

• Bariaur (truthfully, I like having the option of the other centaur like races too)

• Gith (both kind though it wouldn't bother me if a single race represented both) 

• Modron

• The various half planar races (tiefling, aasimar, genasi, etc...).  Ideally, I think this could be treated more as a racial template over one of the "core" races to get some better mileage out of it.

• Rilmani? 4th edition left them out entirely as far as I know which is unfortunate.  I think someone asked above what the neutral planar race was, so here they are.

• Formians

• Bladelings 

The neutral planetouched were the rilmani, yes.  And on the subject of aberrant nonhumanoid races:  NEOGI.  Love 'em!

Anyway, I want an ALIEN race.

They could bring back the Arcane (Spelljammer) in a module.  They were the race I would have liked to see in 4E, otherwise I thought the races were almost perfect.   The Shardmind kind of fits too. I wouldn't mind seeing some tweaking of the races themselves but the ones we have were a good mix.

I would like to see a heroic race tied to the Far Realm and/or the critters that come from it. Kinda like how Tieflings are from fiends.