[CRL] Starting Healing Surges?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Are the starting healing surges the same no matter the number of players?  (i.e. there are only ever 2)

And do you add the 2 mentioned in the main rule book setup section + the number mentioned in the specific scenario's setup?

I've played with 5 healing surges in 5-man games. Why would Wizards send 5 Healing Surges tokens in the box if you are only allowed to use 2?

However I might be wrong, there are no clear statements about this in the rulebook as far as I know. 
I've played with 5 healing surges in 5-man games. Why would Wizards send 5 Healing Surges tokens in the box if you are only allowed to use 2?

However I might be wrong, there are no clear statements about this in the rulebook as far as I know. 

I agree.  Since we're only on Mission 2 (failed 2 times already) we guessed maybe the extra Healing Surges were for future missions.  
I think there is a specific rule in the original CR game that says you normally start each adventure with two surges (regardless of number of players), unless the adventure says otherwise.  The LoD game took this further by specifying it in the adventure book.

Since the game is harder with fewer heroes, this tends to balance it out a bit.

The extra tokens are there because the rulebook also says you can lower the difficulty by increasing the number of surges.  So, if you are failing a lot, try bumping your surges up to three or four.

(Other than the 5-person PvP adventure in LoD, I don't know that you have an official adventure that specifically calls for more than two - however, it's been stated that the game comes with more pieces than you need just to give you a jumping off point for creating your own adventures.)

I think it is clear that you only start with two surges, no matter what the number of players may be. The extra tokens are there to use only if you want to make the scenario easier (which is useful as some of the scenarios can be difficult), or as replacements in case something happens to the first two (lost, dropped coffee on them, chewed up by your dog...)
i use a variant rule for the game, because i think the game easy

i use

2player- 3 healing surges
3players- 2 healing surges
4 players-1 healing surge
5 players-0 healing surges

*for experient players must remove 1 healing surge. if 5 players are playing give 4 damage between the heroes.

my favorite variant that I distribue 28 hp tokens and nothing of healing surges.

I think this is a very good variant and it really meshes with my own experience.  When playing with 5 people we never use a surge (but not having one would raise the tension), but with only 3 people we use both and still barely make it.  Would you make solo play stay at 2 or go to 3?  I've never played it solo, so I don't know how hard that is.
if the quest is solo(for one heore) use 2 healing surges, solo quests are made for only one heroe.

the game is very good the unic great problem is the balance between the number of the players and the chalenge of quests.
A)when many players are playing:

1. much hp (ex:2 players= 16hp,  5 player=  40hp)

2. many powers,

3. and the monsters have active less time per player.(ex: 2 players the monsters active 2x more times than 4 playersB)rolleplay faill some times.

B)rolleplay faill some times.
i think that a audio mp3 for each encounter card and the audion system(like the rpg first quest) can fix it.

C) the player don't pass after the level 2. and many times still on the level 1. hard to fix because the monster don't stay more strong too. the option is do another monster cards.

D) the game is much random (ex: power cards are very weak and other much strong). this can put the quest much easy that the game boring. i try to fix it with a overlord rule.

and the horrible fact of can be draw the spear gauntlet or crossbow turret trap on the first turn.

I still working in variants to try balance.)

Thanks for the feeback folks.  We tried it with 5 characters (still only us 2 players) to see and it was indeed much easier than with only 2 characters.  Adventure 2 defeated.  No healing surges were needed.
when i said in my varant for

we all time put the tile that complete the dungeon on the last position possible in the setup.

if you are a experient player use

2player- 2 healing surges
3players- 1 healing surges
4 players-0 healing surge
5 players- 4 damage distribute between the heroes.

INEED TESTERS

please try this other variant

my second variant

>>28 hp tokens

independent of the number of the players before the quest begin distribute 28 hp tokens between the heroes, now this is their hp. when they take damage, remove the number of hp tokens. when the heroe don't have hp tokens, the heroe die, and in the begin of his next turn the heroes lose the game. killed player still can be healed using skills and the itens from other players.

for experient players use: 26hp

please tell me
1)what do you think? 2)do you think that this quantity of hp is good? 3)was the quest hard and funny or very easy doing it boring? 4)do you win in the last round?
I think that Solo games are actually more difficult. Because you are the only player, every monster activates every turn, and you are the only target. This makes you much for vulnerable for attack. Every encounter card targets you as well, and you alone are responsible for spending an attack action to disable them.

I've tried playing with only two healing surges on solo, and NEVER succeeded. I've tried different classes, and different scenerios, but I contend that it is impossible. If anyone has had a different experience let me know. I think that at least 3 healing surges is necessary.
Sign In to post comments