Would be nice if Wizards released an updated version of "Tome of Battle"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I really liked the Crusader class, and the schools were very interesting.
They did. It's called 4e. Paladin is your Crusader.
I didn't realize paladins in 4e had a delayed damage pool that they used for their class features.
what is a delayed damage pool... 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

The crusader would take damage, but the damage would not actually show up till the next turn.  The abilities of the class worked on how much damage was in that pool.

The Crusader had a class feature called Steely Resolve, somewhat similar in mechanics to the Dark Pact warlock's Darkspiral Aura...

- They had a delayed damage pool - whenever they took damage, instead of affecting them immediately it was added to the pool. At 1st level it could hold up to 5 points, and increased by 5 at 4th/8th/12th/16th/20th level.
 - At the end of their next turn, they took damage equal to the amount in their damage pool, which then reset to zero again.
 - Whenever they recieved healing, they could apply the hp recieved to either their regular hp or to reduce the amount in their damage pool.

They also had the Furious Counterstrike class feature, which gave them a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to (damage pool total divided by 5), up to a maximum of +6...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

The crusader would take damage, but the damage would not actually show up till the next turn.  The abilities of the class worked on how much damage was in that pool.

That would simply translate to temporary hp in 4e. Not a direct conversion, but definitely the easiest. I could see it as maybe being a subclass of Paladin... hopefully better than the Cavalier lol
 Hmm rieminds me of an original battlerager... 
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Unfortunately, it doesn't directly translate.  3.5 was full of abilities that could be subtle or complex and this is one that is a bit more complex.  You had to keep two separate damage pools (or keep track of 1 but keep an eye on your HP once the damage pool reached a certain amount).  Then, you had to divide that damage pool by 5 (rounding up) to figure out how much additional +Attack & +Damage you had.  There was a chart for quick reference as well.  Doesn't sound much like 4E material...
Oh and don't forget that the Crusader would randomly pick a power card each turn from a 'deck', and that's the power they got to use.
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks

To be perfectly honest, I thought the class features and recharge mechanic of the Crusader were a bit wonky. Out of the three classes, I preferred the swordsage (the rogue's pissed-off older brother, lol). I thought the Warblade was a decent addition to the fighter archetype, but the Crusader just didn't really do justice to the holy warrior concept - sure, the delayed damage pool was kind of interesting (if not quite smoothly implemented), but I really couldn't get behind the whole I-get-a-random-power-back-as-a-way-of-showing-that-they-come-from-my-god thing.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Revenant Paladin...

"damage" doesn't affect you till the end of your next turn.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

The delayed damage mechanic sounds cool and I don't see why you couldn't do something similar for 4e. It would have to be simplified a bit and the bonus tightly constrained, but it definitely sounds like a lot of fun to be out there getting more powerful the more damage you take.

The random card thing sounds exactly like recharge abilities. That works well for monsters, and I have thought a few times about the possibility of using it for dailies as a replacement for daily recharge, but it was too difficult to make it work, and a string of bad rolls could leave you at a tiny fraction of your intended power in a big fight, which would be very bad. I think that level of randomness just doesn't sit well in 4e.