01/16/2011 Feature: "Preview Article: Mikaeus, the Unhallowed"

75 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this weeks's Feature Article, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Well that's a doozy of a title O_o
For once, I actually want the weekend to be over.

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

What?  What?  That's a... very bold title.  Such a tease.
Wow... Mikaeus gets corrupted and becomes a necromancer, commanding a zombie army? Instead of creating counters perhaps he now creates 2/2 zombies.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one. 
The Avacyn said, "No, Mikaeus. You are the demons."
And then Mikaeus was a zombie. 
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
So.... tribal set, huh?
And here's the final peice that will make undying/Hex parisite unstoppable.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Zombie Mikaeus. Awesome flavor and a decent card to boot. Undying Zombies, go forth!
that was an amazing story

I just want to know what Lili is up to here. Presumably she's manipulating Geralf to her own ends, but what for?
blah blah metal lyrics
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed + Tatterkite + Altar of Dementia. He's a great guy for monoblack reanimator decks or as a creature-based Commander, and this combo is easy to set up in one turn. Good game, guys.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
Infinite mana: Mikaeus + Workhorse
Infinite damage: Mikaeus + Triskelion

I think you guys went a little overboard on this card.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)
I love this guy for my casual reanimating cleric deck, since he's both a zombie and a cleric.

But I'm sad Mikaeus - my favourite card from Innistrad and so I guy I'm fond of as a character ends up getting corrupted.  Not as sad as I was when I saw that Glissa, but still, definitely a sadface moment.
~ Current Decks I'm Playing or Building ~ (Click a deck's name to see list) [] CorpseJunk Menace/Township Counters (Standard) [] Reanimation/Clerics Theme Deck - Commander: Ghost Dad [] Devouring Tokens (Planechase, Multiplayer) [] Krark-Clan Ironworks: 2012 Edition (Modern) [] Azorious Turbo Fog (Modern)

After consideration, I commend Wizards on giving +1/+1 to the same creatures that get Undying.  Although it seems excessive, it makes infinite combos a lot more difficult to pull off (for example, no two card combo with Spike Feeder).

I don't think I care for the Intimidate, however.  Having a 5/5 unblockable creature may end the game before the more interesting Undying ability really has a chance to matter.

Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
Well he wasn't corrupted in the usual sense of the word. It's not like was seduced by the dark side or simply fell into despair. It's more like he was seized by a force far more powerful than he, and that is something we can hardly blame him for.

I actually read this through and enjoyed it, something I rarely say about the purely lore articles.

As for the card, yep that is pretty crazy. It's going into my Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper EDH deck. Too bad Avalanche Riders is a human, but at least I still got Ingot Chewer, Shriekmaw and Acidic Slime to have fun with.
After reading this article I was actually more interested in seeing a Geralf or Gisa card. Because the dark humor of the necromancer siblings is something I find more amusing than I should.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Well he wasn't corrupted in the usual sense of the word. It's not like was seduced by the dark side or simply fell into despair. It's more like he was seized by a force far more powerful than he, and that is something we can hardly blame him for.

I actually read this through and enjoyed it, something I rarely say about the purely lore articles.

As for the card, yep that is pretty crazy. It's going into my Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper EDH deck. Too bad Avalanche Riders is a human, but at least I still got Ingot Chewer, Shriekmaw and Acidic Slime to have fun with.

Faultgrinder does what you'd like Avalanche Riders to do, doesn't it? Not that Slime doesn't.

The Workhorse combo won't work with the +1/+1 that Mikaeus gives.

On consideration though, the Triskelion combo should work, because you can have it deal 1 damage to whatever you like, and then 2 damage to itself to send it to the graveyard with no counters. If I ever end up facing that combo on Magic Online, I'm definitely going to insist that my opponent follows through with it to the end.
Now Mikaeus gets added to the pantheon of fallen/corrupted heroes such as Mishra, Crovax, Mirri, Balthor and Jeska (before her spark ignited) and others.

I always like a twist like this where you can see how truely screwed up everything is. I wonder if there is anything left of Mikaeus just as there was with Balthor and Jeska when they were zombified. For him to watch through his cold dead eyes and see the horror on the faces of his loved ones.

Faultgrinder does what you'd like Avalanche Riders to do, doesn't it? Not that Slime doesn't.

Indeed he does. I'll have to consider him. Plus the scattering sheep are too cute/funny.
What are you doing about the counters? Melira?
How about Heartless Summoning, it makes everying cheaper, Mikaeus negates the one downside to it and with Triskelion  or any of the other creatures mentioned will be a three card infinity combo playable by the 4th turn or sooner (depending on format).
Melira doesn't work that way. She says -1/-1 counters, not counters in general. 
Melira doesn't work that way. She says -1/-1 counters, not counters in general. 

Indeed, and I'm not so desperate for combos that I view +1/+1 counters as bad things.Wink
1:I bolt you and...
2:Ok you're destroyed.
1: What?
2: RTFC, I have Mikaeus out.
1: Dammit. *Blows up* 
Not exactly a suspenseful title there (technically isn't the opposite of suspense tragedy?), but a good read even if some of the Gisa/Geralf stuff was recycled.
The spiked zombies art is profoundly disturbing (in a good way).
As usual, Wizards likes to design cards to be somewhat gratuitous.  With all his abilities Dark Mickey didn't need to be a 5/5 unblockable, that's just overkill.  I'd have liked him better as a 1/5.
And dear god is Bishop Alwyn a jerk and a moron.  He royally deserves his inevitable doom.
Looks like maybe we finally get some red Spirits?
It's implied Mikaeus is a zombie because Liliana raised him, and that disappoints me.  I would have preferred that Mikaeus is a zombie because the church is suppressing word of his death and refusing to perform ceremonies over him, making him quite literally "unhallowed".  Gothic stories are always made better by a sense of karma and revenge.  By refusing to trust its citizens with the truth so that Mikaeus's soul could rest easily, the church dooms its own paragon to become its worst enemy.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
ok, rules question: I have this guy out and I have a non-Human persist creature that dies, now what? do I get to choose the type of counter? do both trigger and the counters cancel eachother out right away?
Haha, I made an account just to say that your comment made me laugh Pedrodyl.

Anyways, I think he is properly costed for the abilities he provides, however, I wouldnt mind him at 2BB and remove the human destruction, perhaps making him a 3/3 or 4/4. As it is, he is pretty difficult to play. But now I really want to make my Phyrexian Obliterator + Prey Upon deck in Standard. Just because!
After consideration, I commend Wizards on giving +1/+1 to the same creatures that get Undying.  Although it seems excessive, it makes infinite combos a lot more difficult to pull off (for example, no two card combo with Spike Feeder).

Giving creatures +1/+1 is not the same as giving +1/+1 counters.  All the infinite combos work just fine.

The Workhorse combo won't work with the +1/+1 that Mikaeus gives.

On consideration though, the Triskelion combo should work, because you can have it deal 1 damage to whatever you like, and then 2 damage to itself to send it to the graveyard with no counters. If I ever end up facing that combo on Magic Online, I'm definitely going to insist that my opponent follows through with it to the end.

Then throw Heartless Summoning into the mix. It gets crazier because everything comes down sooner.
ok, rules question: I have this guy out and I have a non-Human persist creature that dies, now what? do I get to choose the type of counter? do both trigger and the counters cancel eachother out right away?

If a creature with both undying and persist dies,  

1. (if it had no counters on it) you get to choose which counter it comes back with.
2. (if it had either a +1/+1 or a -1/-1 counter on it) it'll come back with the other type of counter
3. (if it had both a -1/-1 and +1/+1 counter) it'll remain in the graveyard. Note that this is only really possible if it had a +1/+1 counter on it and then givin enough -1/-1 counters at once to kill it.
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
Meh.  Gisa/Geralf are very, very clearly "GM's pet" characters whom the GM thinks are soooo cool and awesome and funny.  Unfortunately, them running around godmoding isn't actually interesting.  They're fine as *comic relief* necromancers; but letting them burn down half of Thraben and kill the Lunarch? 

Also, while I don't agree with willpell on a lot of his comments, I do entirely agree that they seemingly missed out a chance for proper karmic 'payback'.  Being actively raised as a zombie by a necromancer just makes Mikaeus another corpse.   Mikaeus coming back because Innistrad has a zombie problem and the church foolishly didn't even try the rites?  That's more interesting.

Giving creatures +1/+1 is not the same as giving +1/+1 counters.  All the infinite combos work just fine.

There are still infinite combos, but a lot of them require a third piece.

Suppose you had something with just "non-Human creatures you control have undying" and no P/T boost.  In that case, you could cast Spike Feeder, gain four life (it dies and comes back), gain six life (it dies and comes back), gain six life (it dies and comes back), etc.

Because of the +1/+1, this doesn't work.  After you've used up all the counters, the Spike Feeder will still be on the battlefield as a 1/1.  You'll need to add a sacrifice outlet of some sort in order to have it die and come back.
From my understanding, there are no self animated zombies on Innistrad, they are all either risen by necromancers or created skaabs, and the ones risen by necromancers are all called the Unhallowed. At least Mikaeus's corpse had the fortune (curse?) of being risen by Liliana, hence why he's soo beefy on top of his cleric skills.

After reading this awesome short story I believe that the flavor text on the Gravecrawler is Liliana making her way through the zombie apocolypse to Mikaeus, commenting on Gisa's work. But what I want to know is her motivation to doing it. Was it for giggles? To set something in motion? or to attract attention?
But what I want to know is her motivation to doing it. Was it for giggles? To set something in motion? or to attract attention?

I'm guessing information
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
After reading this awesome short story I believe that the flavor text on the Gravecrawler is Liliana making her way through the zombie apocolypse to Mikaeus, commenting on Gisa's work. But what I want to know is her motivation to doing it. Was it for giggles? To set something in motion? or to attract attention?

Isn't there something sealed inside some big dome in Thraben? Maybe it's that demon Liliana is looking for.

1:I bolt you and...
2:Ok you're destroyed.
1: What?
2: RTFC, I have Mikaeus out.
1: Dammit. *Blows up* 

Hehehe, but actually it gives you, the controller, the instruction to destroy the human =p

Meh.  Gisa/Geralf are very, very clearly "GM's pet" characters whom the GM thinks are soooo cool and awesome and funny.  Unfortunately, them running around godmoding isn't actually interesting.  They're fine as *comic relief* necromancers; but letting them burn down half of Thraben and kill the Lunarch?

100% agreed here. 0% suspense left in the story. That the zombies are created and commanded by conscious human beings who are just playing a game is so lame.  
Infinite combo with Spike Feeder, isn't it?
Combos with Heartless Summoning for flavor reasons. Cool
I almost stopped reading at "NecroWarfare", yuch, but I'm glad I didn't.
Mikaeus really feels like an epic mythic legend. Cool.

vandwede, read the topic. It's not, because of the +1/+1 it gets from Mikaeus