Could a new DnD (5th) mean another GW?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
So with the news that been floating. That there is a new DnD coming this year... Do you think we could be seeing a new GW in the works?

If so what would you liked changed or kept?

Keep:
I enjoy the origins! I think they are great for an infinite "race" generator.

Change:
Where I am not a huge fan of the alpha mutations, I do like the fact that your mutations change over time. I like the crazy they brought back for GW as well, even if it has a lot to do with the Alpha Cards. But I would like mutations to being random again. I don't mind the stock mutations that all Swarm/Hawkoids have... but a little diversity never hurts (much).

What say you what would you like to see in the next GW?
I am not a big fan of the card collecting aspect. I do not mind buying a couple different style decks as long as the game comes with a core deck.  I would also reduce some of the abstraction that seems to be inherent in dnd 4e.  
I would like some of the MATH to go away, I mean geeze.

Hey look a Vibro-Sword: +3 hit  3d6dmg  salvaged: +1 hit 1d12 dmg

I do really love the Origins, though they could use some cleaning up and re-organizing.

The cards can either be gone completely or just be included as 1 set in the main game.

Make battlemats and monster/PC pogs optional.

I mean make it simpler,  all my current players are constantly getting confused by the to hit/damage wordings.
I would like to see some battlemat and tile support. Granted that doesn't only effect another edition, but perhaps a re-energized product base. It doesn't have to be much really. Produce a "Witchlight Fens" size set of tiles. Terrain could be the twisted metal of modern wreckage, and lots of radioactive crater/ toxic goo/ beta moss type tiles to lay over the standard D&D tiles. Some nice ruined cityscapes would be nice too. Add in one sheet of Core Set monsters with the bloodied reverse sides and I will be ecstatic. 
I suspect the answer is "no, we won't get a new GW" but if we do I hope they would simplify it a little. Thin out the math, ditch the collectable cards, draw the game closer to its roots.
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
I think if Wizards thinks they can make buck at it you will see a new version. I beleive that was the reason for collectible card aspect of gamma world. basically gamma world was an expirement of the concept in a rpg since the collectible card games are big money makers.  I am not trying to be cynical of them but that seems the reasoning behind the new version dnd. i mean with new version they can rerelease all the same set of updated content they released for 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0. i have read the articles about "getting feedback" from gamers so maybe this will be different....maybe if gamma world fans can be involved with that we will see a new version
I sort of doubt it'll be ported to 5th ed. I've hosted a GW group for the past year with over 10 players who have played on and off, with about 5 players actively participating at a time. We all pretty much shared the one copy of each of the boxed sets I have. The game was easy enough that nobody else needed to have their own Gamma World PHB. We just photo-copied our origins, and then I used the books to run the adventures. So, I have really been the only one in my group contributing to GW sales for wizards. As for the cards, I couldn't find them at Books-a-Million, Barnes&Noble, or any of my friendly local gaming stores. So I assume that they weren't selling very well.

With sales analysis aside, I think that wizards did a good job with this iteration of GW. I've enjoyed it, and my players (many of whom have little or no prior trpg gaming experience) have really enjoyed it as well!
If I had my say, I would keep the cards loose the collecting aspect. Just have the base game come with a bunch and sell expansion card sets. More origins! Spend more time on the books. Like including page numbers for monsters, include rules for charging, stuff like that.
I imagine WOTC will sit on GW for 5 years or so and then roll out a new edition.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I have to say I love this iteration of GW more than all of 4E (and I really liked what 4E could have been)!

What was great?
The whole thing was low rent. You don't need ten books, you don't need endless level options, you just need a good GM. I hold my three books and binder of cards (not booster cards) and I know I can play forever with a TON of options.
Also the setting. It can be anything. Sure, we have played some fallout, but for the most part we play x-men / hellboy / modern and it's amazing!

What sucked?
CCG. Right now I'm trying to get together images of every card, organize them (armor, ranged weapons, melee...) and get a book printed to use as sort of an "adventurers vault" for my players (easy enough to add some tables if players want / need to roll randoms instead of drawing).

BTW is there a database of the card images like the Gatherer? 
I have to say I love this iteration of GW more than all of 4E (and I really liked what 4E could have been)!

What was great?
The whole thing was low rent. You don't need ten books, you don't need endless level options, you just need a good GM. I hold my three books and binder of cards (not booster cards) and I know I can play forever with a TON of options.
Also the setting. It can be anything. Sure, we have played some fallout, but for the most part we play x-men / hellboy / modern and it's amazing!

What sucked?
CCG. Right now I'm trying to get together images of every card, organize them (armor, ranged weapons, melee...) and get a book printed to use as sort of an "adventurers vault" for my players (easy enough to add some tables if players want / need to roll randoms instead of drawing).

BTW is there a database of the card images like the Gatherer? 

I have not seen a database of the card images... though it would be nice - in another thread here they list all the cards, but no images.

It would have been nice if Wotc had a book with all the cards printed in it - I would buy it!

I am an original GW player, from it's intial release.
I was at the comic shop 2 weeks ago and stumbled across the GW 4E line, I have been out the loop for a bit. 
Well needless to say I have all the box sets and a ton of the accessories now.

What I love about the cards is I can purchase them all, still working on that, and supply them to my players.
They aren't forced to go out and get their own deck.
So I really enjoy that. Cool
I am working on material for GW 4E, and would love to see more created by WOTC and fans. Laughing 
IMAGE(http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/image.php?u=10029&type=sigpic&dateline=1288645812)

I am working on material for GW 4E, and would love to see more created by WOTC and fans.  

WOTC has stated they have no further plans for GW.  From their end it is done.  Fan support is the only thing left at this point.

@feetz_grande on Twitter

I was at the comic shop 2 weeks ago and stumbled across the GW 4E line, I have been out the loop for a bit. 

What I love about the cards is I can purchase them all, still working on that, and supply them to my players.
So I really enjoy that. 
I am working on material for GW 4E, and would love to see more created by WOTC and fans.  

Make sure to get the Pedal to the Metal article from Wizards.  good stuff.

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

WOTC has stated they have no further plans for GW.  From their end it is done.  Fan support is the only thing left at this point.

Wonderful then!
Nothing more amazing then fan made material.

I am working on a few things myself, so I will be posting what I can when time permits.

So I really enjoy that. 

Make sure to get the Pedal to the Metal article from Wizards.  good stuff.

Thank you for the heads up, off to google it now. Cool 
IMAGE(http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/image.php?u=10029&type=sigpic&dateline=1288645812)

I do really love the Origins, though they could use some cleaning up and re-organizing.

The cards can either be gone completely or just be included as 1 set in the main game.

Make battlemats and monster/PC pogs optional.

Really?  Everyone I've run this for said this is such a simplified version of 4.0.  "So much less math!", they raved. :/

Really?  Everyone I've run this for said this is such a simplified version of 4.0.  "So much less math!", they raved. :/

Well, it may very well be simplified from DnD4.0 but we never played that. Coming from a 3.5, 2nd Ed. realm of playing everyone was very overwhelmed with the wording and the math.

I just really like to roll, roll and add a bonus, or roll and subtract. Now you may say that is all you are doing..... but the addition of the "bonus" or "modifier" changes depending on the Stat involved or if it is quick, or standard or blah blah blah.....

Just too much, even I was confusing myself at times trying to remeber what the heck  was going on with all the DPS type stuff flyying around!!! It was like I needed a server to track all the continuing effects etc...

As the DM it just wore me out......
I'm not sure of all the stuff your talking about, when when you write your power down you do all the math then (a huge mountain of it, like adding your Stat + Level + Item Bonus) and when you play you simply have +10 vs AC 1d12+6, with the possible situational bonuses that usually aren't more than +2 for Combat Advantage.

I'm not sure if thats on par with some of 3.5 math like "When your Base Attack Bonus can have 5 subtracted and still result in a positive real number then you gain that as your Base Attack Bonus for an additional attack but only when used as a full attack action." I would even venture the bonuses granted through powers are better than the various bonuses gained through spells and items, especially since in 3.5 you get a bonus to a Stat which you have to do math to see if the Stat Modifier increases, then more math to apply that, while in GW you simply get attack or damage roll bonuses.

As far as continuing effects go, then player who put it up keeps track of it. If I put 5 ongoing damage on an enemy, when it's the enemies turn I go "My ongoing damage deals 5 fire damage to it when its turn starts" not to shabby.

Then again I am a programmer, so the logical structure with keywords and actions per turn dose appeal to me, as a DM who likes combat to be fast-paced and visceral.

I think there is every reason to believe that there will be a 5th edition version. The GW community seems very resilient (IMHO more resilient than the Transformers collectible card game community). The sheer number of home-made scenarios and rules modifications tells me that there is a great community out there. Hence, there is money to be made and I think Wizards should go for it.
On the other hand , I trust Hasbro's instincts and hope that  I would like to see simpler character sheets and a rulebook that was a a little less colorful and more numbers-heavy. But I'm not Hasbro and cannot see the market as they do

I think that making the rules even closer/simpler as DnD4 might alienate those, like myself, who came to GW as first-time rpg players. To me, the Collectible card nature of GW is great. I love collecting stuff and I feel that I get the best of both worlds.