Running the Common gauntlet!

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
After much revising and much frustration, the Common skeleton of my new project is taking shape.  The block is focused on five monocolor factions, with an overall color-matters theme, plus a sub-theme for each of the five sets.  Hybrid cards play a big role in the sets as well.

So the test at the moment is to see if I'm really covering all the bases at the foundation of the set.  There are certain archetypal cards that every set needs, like direct-damage spells in Red, counterspells in Blue, or some kind of Naturalize variant for Green.  This is an open request for you to challenge the set and see if I haven't left any gaping holes.  You name a function that a Common card should fulfill, and if something like it is in the current draft of the Skeleton I'll post it up for you!  If nothing like that exists, then... I guess you win?  And I need to go back and make some adjustments.

Here's one to start off, every set needs a nice cheap White flyer:

Windgift Pegasus
Creature - Pegasus (Common)
Flying
Blessed (As long as this creature isn’t enchanted, you may cast an Aura card from your graveyard targeting it.)
2/2
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Blue bounce.
Black Disentomb variant.
Red Threaten variant. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Blue bounce.

Untether
Instant (Common)
Return target creature and all Auras attached to it to their owners’ hands.

Black Disentomb variant.

Cemetery Scheme
Sorcery
Return target black creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
Decrypt (, Discard this card: Return target card with the same converted mana cost as this card from your graveyard to your hand.)

Red Threaten variant. 

And... I got nothing.  I don't usually think of it as a Common effect.  But Act of Treason and Traitorous Blood say differently I guess.  Not something essential for the set, but I'll be sure to keep it in mind.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Gain life
creature pump
white common finisher
noncreature removal
creature answers in all color

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
pyramid cycle.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

Mana elves.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Land search.
Card draw/fixin'.
Discard effect, either CA or Selected.
Looter, tapped and pacify effect.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Shock/Bolt
Green fattie
-X/-0 effects.
Mill.
Color fixing artifact.
Keyword-granting. (flying, first strike and so on)
Drudge Skeleton variant.
Panic effects.
Gain life
creature pump
white common finisher
noncreature removal
creature answers in all color

Guru of Winds
Creature - Human Monk
When Guru of Winds enters the battlefield, gain life equal to its toughness.
Mentor (As you cast a creature spell you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its mentor cost. If you do, that spell gains all abilities of this card until end of turn.)
0/3

Sinew Surge
Instant
Target creature gets +4/+4 and gains trample until end of turn.

White Common Finisher... hmm I'll have to think about that.  Here's one possibility, not sure if it fits:

Stalwart Proctor
Creature - Rhino Monk
As long as Stalwart Proctor is enchanted, other white creatures you control get +0/+1.
Blessed (As long as this creature isn’t enchanted, you may cast an Aura card from your graveyard targeting it.)
3/3

Banish Illusions
Instant
Choose one or both - Destroy target Aura; and/or destroy target non-Aura enchantment.

And a creature answer in all five colors...

Detention Penalty
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant nonwhite creature
Enchanted creature can’t attack or block and its activated abilities can’t be activated.

Inferior Position
Instant
Tap target creature. If it's red, it becomes 1/1 until end of turn.

Audacious Curse
Instant
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the highest converted mana cost among permanents you control.

Magmatic Focus
Instant
Magmatic Focus deals 5 damage to target creature or player. If a creature dealt damage by Magmatic Focus this turn would die, exile it instead.

Green... green doesn't quite have anything anti-creature right now, apart from combat tricks.  Maybe this will suffice:

Spiteful Gorgon
Creature - Gorgon Warrior
Deathtouch
Decrypt (, Discard this card: Return target card with the same converted mana cost as this card from your graveyard to your hand.)
3/2

(Edit: Added P/T) 
Are you sure about Magmatic Focus? Because it seems really, really strong.

Ditto, I think 4 damage is just right.
I have a sig because it gives my posts better spacing.

for 4 damage makes an awesome uncommon. I don't think this card can be at common.
Wow, I don't think I've ever used Multi-quote before

Mana elves.

Ok, big strike here.  No such thing at the moment, and the set really should have it.  Ten points for you!

Land search. Card draw/fixin'.

And it looks like mana is going to continue to be an issue, 'cause although I have some free slots in Green, there's not any finalized land searching yet.  Ten points!  As for the other:

Impertinent Inquiry
Sorcery
Draw two cards, then discard a card.

Discard effect, either CA or Selected.
Looter, tapped and pacify effect.

Ah, discard.  I kind of like how this one bleeds colors, but it might have to go...
Psychic Scrutiny
Sorcery
Target player reveals his or her hand. You may choose a green card from it. That player discards that card.

Looting:

Enscrolled Wings
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has flying.
, Return Enscrolled Wings to its owner's hand: Draw a card, then discard a card.

Tapping and pacifism were already mention in creature control spells above, Detention Penalty and Inferior Position, and I don't really have a backup for either unfortunately.

Shock/Bolt
Green fattie

More color hate! Might not qualify as a Shock variant 'cause it doesn't cost one mana though.
Trauma Bolt
Instant
Trauma Bolt deals 3 damage to target creature. If that creature is white, destroy it instead.

And fat!
Wavebreaker Wurm
Creature - Wurm Serpent
5/6

-X/-0 effects.
Mill.
Color fixing artifact.
Keyword-granting. (flying, first strike and so on)
Drudge Skeleton variant.
Panic effects.

Double dose of Lore!

Riddleblind
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Lore - Enchanted creature gets -1/-0 for each card in your hand.

Notion Censor
Creature - Human Wizard
Lore: Target player puts the top X cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
3/3

Bloodbrother Clique
Creature - Vampire Scholar
: Regenerate Bloodbrother Clique.
Bloodbrother Clique gets +1/+1 as long as you control another black creature.
2/1

Panic effect placeholder, this seems pretty weak and boring at the moment
Invertigo
Sorcery
Target creature can't block this turn.

(Bleh)

As I mentioned before, I've kind of neglected the mana of this set.  Ramping and color fixing are noticeably absent now that people put the screws to the set.  No colorless mana fixers around.  

And could you be more specific with "ability granting"?  'Cause there are a few.  Here's one!

Thundersnap Guide
Creature - Dwarf Wizard
Haste
Mentor (As you cast a creature spell you may reveal this card from your hand and pay its mentor cost. If you do, that spell gains all abilities of this card until end of turn.)
2/2

Alright, this is pretty productive!  Now that I've loosened my deathgrip on the monocolored theme I'll try to rethink the role of mana-fixers in the set, especially since it's such a large part of Green's role in most sets. 

for 4 damage makes an awesome uncommon. I don't think this card can be at common.

Well, Flame Javelin has an extra bit of flexibility in its cost that Magmatic Focus lacks.  The ability to cast it for has always been a big upside.  But I'll bow to the majority, the exiling ability and the lower rarity could make it pretty balanced at 4 damage.
White untap all creatures you control
Blue land type changer
Black drain
Red artifact destruction
Green flyer kill
No mention of Token gen? (Prob )

Also, instead of a Threaten effect, perhaps you could have a Shunt effect? (They aren't exactly the same, but they are kinda analogous)

Any graveyard hate? (The set seems to have enough graveyard-use)

Is there a pinger?

Any Generic Pump creature?

Isn't there usually an over-costed kill spell that has a quirky effect?

Oh, and does Spiteful Gorgon have a P/T?  I assume you just forgot to post it.
White untap all creatures you control
Blue land type changer
Black drain
Red artifact destruction
Green flyer kill

Mass untapping? Not exactly a staple, but it turns out I do have such a thing as a Common:

Wavecrest Sigil
Enchantment - Aura
Flash
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+2
When Wavecrest Sigil enters the battlefield, untap all white and/or blue creatures you control.

Blue land-type changer doesn't exist.  I'm not sure if it'd fit the needs of the set at Common, although a color-change effect could be quite useful.  Points!

Black drain:
Vicious Riposte
Instant
Vicious Riposte deals X damage to target attacking creature and you gain X life, where X is the number of white and/or black creatures you control.

Artifact destruction:
Rebellious Vandal
Creature - Goblin Rogue
,, Sacrifice Rebellious Vandal: Destroy target artifact.
1/1

(Yes it's basically a color shifted Elvish Hexhunter)

Green flyer kill... A couple of creatures with Reach, but no direct kill spells.  I tried a few but none of them stuck.  Like I said there are a few holes in green though, so maybe I can squeeze something in.  Points again!

No mention of Token gen? (Prob )

Also, instead of a Threaten effect, perhaps you could have a Shunt effect? (They aren't exactly the same, but they are kinda analogous)

Any graveyard hate? (The set seems to have enough graveyard-use)

Is there a pinger?

Any Generic Pump creature?

Isn't there usually an over-costed kill spell that has a quirky effect?

Token generation:

Soulraise Blessing
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 and has flying.
When Soulraise Blessing enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 white Spirit creature tokens with flying.

Shunt effects... you do realize the card you linked to is Rare, right?  I don't think I've ever seen a target-redirection effect at Common.  I'll almost certainly include something like it in the set though, just 'cause I love that kind of effect.

Graveyard hate (maybe too light considering two faction keywords rely on the graveyard):

Afterlife Messenger
Creature - Human Cleric
Sacrifice Afterlife Messenger: Exile target card from a graveyard.
1/1

Pinger:

Firetwister's Rig
Artifact - Equipment
( can be paid with any two mana or with . This card’s converted mana cost is 4.)
Equipped creature has ": This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."
Equip

Hey, finally a glimpse of Red's artifacts
Let's see, a creature that can pump itself up... I don't think I've got one that does it just with a mana activation, but I've got a few things that hit close:

Tililix's Courier
Artifact Creature - Construct
Whenever you cast a blue spell, Tililix's Courier gets +1/+1 and gains hexproof until end of turn.
2/2

And a quirky kill spell. I suppose you're thinking of something like Gloomlance?  Nothing like that in the skeleton at the moment, sorry.  I suppose the set could use more "quirk" (Points!).  Here's an odd spell that could potentially kill something though:

Logical Dissection
Instant
Remove all counters from target permanent.
Decrypt (, Discard this card: Return target card with the same converted mana cost as this card from your graveyard to your hand.)
Shunt effects... you do realize the card you linked to is Rare, right?  I don't think I've ever seen a target-redirection effect at Common.  I'll almost certainly include something like it in the set though, just 'cause I love that kind of effect.

Graveyard hate (maybe too light considering two faction keywords rely on the graveyard):

And a quirky kill spell. I suppose you're thinking of something like Gloomlance?  Nothing like that in the skeleton at the moment, sorry.  I suppose the set could use more "quirk" (Points!).  Here's an odd spell that could potentially kill something though:

Logical Dissection
Instant
Remove all counters from target permanent.
Decrypt (, Discard this card: Return target card with the same converted mana cost as this card from your graveyard to your hand.)

I did after I went to bed, but I didn't want to get up to fix the post so I just said 'eh'

Maybe you should include more Anti-graveyard?  Possibly (If the artifacts aren't too set in stone) one that is colourless to allow more access?

And the quirky spell I was thinking of at the time was Violet Pall.  I like that spell quite a bit, but I do in general, like the kill spells that are 5+ mana that tac on random (Usually set related) twist.

Plus what is that spell going to kill?  Are there any creatures in the set that are 0/0 with only +1/+1 counters to provide P/T?  Or is there something else I'm missing?
btw, I meant to ask Fallingman, are you designing this as a Stand Alone, or the core Set of a Block?
True, Logical Dissection isn't going to kill many things by itself.  Still works on Planeswalkers, I guess.

btw, I meant to ask Fallingman, are you designing this as a Stand Alone, or the core Set of a Block?

Well, hopefully it'll evolve into a full block.  I'm tempted to pull a third act twist like Rise of the Eldrazi and break away from the monocolor theme though.  Set progression isn't something I've figured out yet.

Blinding Mage variant.
Cheap library manipulation.
Black fatty.
Spark Elemental variant.
Green deathtouch

I know that not every set has all of these.

Well, I can hope so, 'cause apart from the previously posted Spiteful Gorgon with deathtouch I haven't really got any of these.  Fatties are in short supply, since another thing I've noticed about the set so far is that creature power tops out pretty low at Common.  The biggest creature is a 5/6, the next biggest is a 4/3, and then a couple of 3/3s follow.  The "blinding" effect is another one hinted at earlier that I think it really needs.
Cheap white flyer.

Red card that gives first strike.
A little bit of courage is the real magic.
Cheap white flyer.

Red card that gives first strike.

Cheap white flyer was the first one I posted, but I suppose having two would be appropriate...
Except I only have the one... Well.  I should look into that.

And I've got another hybrid for the second request:

Dauntless Monk
Creature - Human Monk
: Target red or white creature gets +2/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn.
2/1 

This is turning out to be very revealing  I think I need to do a bit of housekeeping, maybe take out some things that don't need to be in the set or could move to higher rarity, giving me room for more of the basics. 
a one-drop in each color.

A vanilla or french vanilla creature in each color that doesn't use a set-specific keyword.
Even at 4 damage, Magmatic Focus should definitely be uncommon. Look at Sudden Death. You can't kill a Stampeding Rhino with a common unless certain conditions are satisfied; to put a 4 damage spell for 3 mana at common drastically reduces the endurability of every creature in the set.

Now, if it cost , then of course it'd be fine because of Lightning Blast. Do you have a specific reason to push mono-colored red to such an extent in Limited?

A cheap Aura or Equipment.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)

Wow, this is a good one and I don't know if I've achieved it.

Talented Glamerist
Creature - Kithkin Wizard
1/1

Amphibimancer
Creature - Human Wizard
, Return Amphibimancer to its owner's hand: Target creature becomes a 1/1 blue Frog until end of turn.
1/1
(^This one is probably getting cut though)

Black doesn't really have one, unless you count the previous W/B hybrid "Afterlife Messenger"

Smeltforge Gnome
Artifact Creature - Gnome
Sacrifice Smeltforge Gnome: Add to your mana pool.
1/1
(^ This one is in danger of getting cut too, just 'cause I think the artifact theme isn't going to come through.  I don't think I can find enough slots in the set to make it worthwhile.)

Genevim Watcher
Creature - Dryad
Skinswitch (If this creature would be destroyed, instead remove all damage from it and turn it face down. It’s a 2/2 colorless creature.)
1/1

A vanilla or french vanilla creature in each color that doesn't use a set-specific keyword.

Hmm, alright.  This is another one so simple it might be over my head.  Maybe if I dip into hybrids enough.

Kiln Dancer
Creature - Elemental Rogue
First strike
3/2

"Wavebreaker Wurm" from earlier is a vanilla G/U hybrid, so I guess that counts.

Brawlmaker
Creature - Goblin Warrior
Haste
4/1

I've got a few other slots reserved for the super-simple curve filling creatures and such, but for the moment they're undefined.

Even at 4 damage, Magmatic Focus should definitely be uncommon. Look at Sudden Death. You can't kill a Stampeding Rhynocerous with a common unless certain conditions are satisfied; to put a 4 damage spell for 3 mana at common drastically reduces the endurability of every creature in the set.

Now, if it cost , then of course it'd be fine because of Lightning Blast. Do you have a specific reason to push mono-colored red to such an extent in Limited?

A cheap Aura or Equipment.

Mono-colored Red isn't intended to be pushed any more than the other four colors, but there IS a strong push towards monocolor, and a cycle of commons that cost three colored mana is one way I'm trying to make it more attractive.  However I may be pushing too far, making them very strong for their cost.  Blue's part of the cycle is also potentially dangerous, "Draw three" for .  Burn seemed like a good mechanic for Red's part of the cycle, but I may have to rethink them a bit.

Oh, and:
Surestrike Blessing
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2 and has first strike. 
Mono-colored Red isn't intended to be pushed any more than the other four colors, but there IS a strong push towards monocolor, and a cycle of commons that cost three colored mana is one way I'm trying to make it more attractive.  However I may be pushing too far, making them very strong for their cost.  Blue's part of the cycle is also potentially dangerous, "Draw three" for .  Burn seemed like a good mechanic for Red's part of the cycle, but I may have to rethink them a bit.

Fair enough. And the Aura's really cool; you knew exactly what I was looking for!

Also, Skinshift is flippin' awesome.

Wow, this is a good one and I don't know if I've achieved it.

it's worth noting that this isn't strictly necessary. unless you count furor of the bitten, red doesn't have one in Innistrad.

unless you count furor of the bitten, red doesn't have one in Innistrad.

Man, the flavor on that card is all messed up. The name says that they have been bitten, but the flavor text says they haven't. Which is it? The name should have been False Infection or something. (I think I remember them saying something about this when they showed the Multiverse comments for the card, but that just makes it bug me even more to think that someone was paying attention to the problem and it still came out all wrong.)

Werewolves biting people doesn't actually infect them with lycanthropy in Innistrad.
Really? You mean it's not definite? How do people become werewolves if not thru biting? (Sorry, I don't to derail yr thread Fallingman, I'm just really curious about this.)

I dunno, it was in some article. Apparently people just end up feeling some kind of calling to the wild, but they didn't really give a mode of transmission per se.

www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

Yeah, I don't really get it. Maybe they don't have anything specific in mind or maybe it's something they want to keep back for flavour reasons. Maybe the cause of individual cases of lycanthropy is intimately tied in to the origins of lycanthropy as a whole, and they're hiding that for similar reasons as the origins of vampirism. Again, I dunno. 
They probably did it that way because infecting stuff is , and Innistrad werewolves are supposed to be emphatically not .

Infecting stuff isn't necessarily black.

OK, this derail is really severe at this point. 
Sign In to post comments