A few house rules?

Hey guys,
About to start up my new campaign tomorrow and just wondering if there are any house rules out there that really help add to a cinematic or improved experience to the game.
For example, in my D&D Campaign I hide my players Hit Points and instead, at certain increments, explain how they feel. Healthy -> Winded -> Injured -> Bloodied -> Dying, stuff like that. It really added to the cinematic experience of D&D Combat as I explained all attacks in detail.
Thanks. 

Hiding hp is interesting. I’ve never heard of that one before. I don’t particularly recommend it in Saga. For one reason, a player needs to know how much hp he has left to activate his second wind.

Also, in Saga, a GM has a ton of stuff to remember and keep track of: each NPC’s hp, condition track penalty, second wind, force points, force powers and encounter abilities, bonuses, penalties, etc. Unless you are a rare type of multitasking genious, I don’t think you should add “keeping track of all your players’ hp” to the list.

A house rule I recommed is one which tries to fix skills vs. defenses at low levels.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

There have been several threads devoted to houserule before.  Here are the houserules I'd use most commonly although I wouldn't say any of them are included for the reasons you're asking.  I've also suggested many other houserules people may like to use for specific issues.

While you could keep track of a player's hitpoints it may be more hassle that it is worth.  This is partly because hp are one of TWO measures used to determine how "health" a player is with the Condition Track being the other half.  Now a character with 1 hp or full hitpoints opperates the same and probably could be described as some level of fatigue (there should be a break at the point Second Wind becomes available) but a character's position on the CT has a big effect on how it opperates and you really can't keep that information secret. 
Some of this Houserules community.wizards.com/steveno/blog/2011/... are awesome ;)

Greetings!

The cinematic idea it's really great one. I suggest to you that use more cinematic narration instead. As richter says, it will bring a few problems in concrete situations. But yep, a great idea.

A friend of mine used in a few game sessions a "I take control and know about your character stats". The player only says about what he/she wants to have and about characters past. The GM create the stats and never let the player see its sheet. With time, players have an aproximately idea about their skills via test/error. A curious way.

Actually I'm creating with a friend a SW 100% based system wich we almost supressed HP. When you fight you loose something similar to "Fatigue Points" and Action Points, in normal cases, you recover a few of them every turn (depending stats and configuration). When you run out os AP and Fatigue is on the lower track you get the "Wound Suceptible" status. Next attack can kill you with one or two mere shots, cause you can't do anything more.

A really interesting system (Alpha/Beta mode yet XD). When we finish and translate it, if you wish you can found it in The Praexum or in my profile's blog.

By the way, forget the rules... and be epic and cinematic! The typical guy playing with nunchakus and performing awesomes "combat moves" it's possible that "only" have weapon focus/finesse (simple weapons) or a BA of +4 or more... BE EPIC! BE CINEMATIC! ;)

Enjoy your game session and take care!
Have you ever tried to smile?
57690938 wrote:
If I had to choose one word to describe you, it would be "unorthodox". Yea - that's pretty much it. Not an insult, of course. :D
Star Wars HEAVY MOD (M&M) Adaptation http://www.mediafire.com/?b2e9e176n9ck9ia
One I would personally suggest is to combine some/most of the athletic type skills into one skill: Athletics.  Now, granted a person could easily be good at, say, climbing but bad a jumping, but it's so many skills to utilize I get a headache from it.

Another potentially good one; a Feat exactly like the Jedi's "Block" for any non-Force user which allows them to roll to block a melee attack if they have a melee weapon equipped and are proficient in it's use.  Instead of rolling UtF you would roll either Acrobatics or, if you put all the athletic stuff together, Athletics.

Just some thoughts.
"The dragon is a perfect marriage of power and the will to use it." --Sarkhan Vol

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg) Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz. I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I highly recommend implementing 3.5 or similar grapple rules.
Post count doesn't mean anything. Read the books, open your eyes, and try using common sense.
I'd introduce the minion, after all how many times in the films do the troopers, battle droids etc get shot before they drop. The answer is a single shot drops them so make them minions (1 shot kills but a miss doesn't).
I'd introduce the minion, after all how many times in the films do the troopers, battle droids etc get shot before they drop. The answer is a single shot drops them so make them minions (1 shot kills but a miss doesn't).

You could do 4e type minions if you want but I'll point out that they have are a topic that has been talked about.

As long as you know how SAGA works it really isn't so hard to build "one hit NPCs" by using the Non-heroic class.  If you leave CON 8 then the average HD will only provide 1.5 hitpoints which means average blaster pistol damage (with no other bonuses) will drop a NH7 character; a better weapon or damage bonuses lets you increase the "minions" HD while still keeping them in "one shot" territory.

As I understand them minions get PC level Defense scores but one hit kills them.  Using SAGA's nonheroics those characters are often easy to hit but it may take more than one "hit" to actually kill them.  If you read the previous paragraph you'll note that you can actually have a pretty high level non-heroic character and they generally will not take more than three hits to drop.  A thing with SAGA is attacks against that character are likely to hit while attacks against a character with a PC like REF Defense are more likely to miss (as opposed to a hitpoint draining "miss" that is actually a rolled hit) which means it could be even harder to take down the 'minion' character.

You could do 4e type minions if you want but I'll point out that they have are a topic that has been talked about.

As long as you know how SAGA works it really isn't so hard to build "one hit NPCs" by using the Non-heroic class.  If you leave CON 8 then the average HD will only provide 1.5 hitpoints which means average blaster pistol damage (with no other bonuses) will drop a NH7 character; a better weapon or damage bonuses lets you increase the "minions" HD while still keeping them in "one shot" territory.

As I understand them minions get PC level Defense scores but one hit kills them.  Using SAGA's nonheroics those characters are often easy to hit but it may take more than one "hit" to actually kill them.  If you read the previous paragraph you'll note that you can actually have a pretty high level non-heroic character and they generally will not take more than three hits to drop.  A thing with SAGA is attacks against that character are likely to hit while attacks against a character with a PC like REF Defense are more likely to miss (as opposed to a hitpoint draining "miss" that is actually a rolled hit) which means it could be even harder to take down the 'minion' character.

StevenO hits an important point, and one that I think bears repeating.

4e style minions, while possible in SAGA, are not really as useful in the system as the NH class.

a storm trooper already has only 10 hp.  a single blaster shot on average should kill him.  and as GM you are allowed to fudge numbers.

The NH class, combined with con scores that can adjust HP's mean that you can create characters with a nominal defense, and just the right attack bonus and HP.  they can be as many hits as you want.

So no, I don't like 4e minions in Saga.

Small caveat.  I do half the damage of all straight Non-heroic NPC's.  at low levels getting shot for 14 points of damage is a touch brutal, criticals can be devestating, and that is more swing than I care for in my low level games.  That being said, totally optiona rule, and not for everyone's playstyle.
My Blog, mostly about D&D.
57304548 wrote:
I imagine that Majestic Moose plays a more "A team" type game than most of us. By that I mean he allows his players to make tanks out of a backyard playground set since the players have more "fun" that way.
Actually I much prefer The Losers.
Show
When I and my friends sit down we want a game of heroic fantasy. Rare is the moment when I have cried out in a video game or RPG "that's unrealistic." (Unless there is no jump button. Seriously makes me mad, single handedly ruined the N64 zelda series for me, but that's a digression of a digression.) I mean, we play games with the force in galaxies far, far away, with supernatural horrors, dragons and demi-gods, alternate cosmologies, etc. Reality and it's effects hold little sway to what makes a Heroic fantasy game fun IMO. Just repeat after me: You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are not how much you've spent on WotC products. You are not whatever RPG you play. You are one of tens of thousands of people that spend money on a hobby. You will not always get what you want