Which Defender to go with this group?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
We are starting a new party - 1st level all around. We have a Dragonborn Wizard, Tiefling Rogue and Minotaur Runepriest. To fill out the party, I was thinking a defender, but wasn't sure which to go with. I prefer "classic" races (Dwarf, Human, Elf, Halfling) but I dont need to play "classic" classes. What do you suggest?
Eladrin (high elf) shielding Swordmage
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
Chaladin could help with healing some and I would be tempted to go with one.  Halfling, human, or dwarf could work well enough.  Dward lifeblood warden would work well in a similar role.  Shielding swordmage is good.  1-H talent fighter would also work.  As long as you don't pick a weak build you will be fine and their aren't that many weak defender build: avoid cavalier and ensnaring/assualt sword mages.

You might be missing wisdom skills (depending on runepriest build) and the only stats you have for sure covered are probably int/str/dex, though the tiefling will probably cover charisma.  But wisdom is a fairly common secondary stat on a lot of defender builds.
Before making any suggestions, do you have a way you prefer to play?  Finding the class that best matches your style is going to be more effective than trying to pick up a class that you think will best fit the party.
Dragonborn Tempest
Torrinn Letrah Erekgard, level 14 Dragonborn, Fighter (Weaponmaster), Fear Walker Build: Tempest Fighter Fighter Option: Combat Superiority Fighter Talents Option: Tempest Technique Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragonfear Wandering Duelist (Wandering Duelist Benefit) Theme: Mercenary FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 22, CON 14, DEX 20, INT 9, WIS 11, CHA 14 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 13, DEX 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 11 AC: 30 Fort: 32 Ref: 28 Will: 25 HP: 107 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 28 TRAINED SKILLS Athletics +19, Intimidate +23, Streetwise +16 UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +11, Arcana +6, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +8, Heal +7, History +8, Insight +9, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +6, Stealth +11, Thievery +11 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Mercenary Attack: Takedown Strike Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragonfear Fighter Attack: Combat Challenge Combat Agility Power: Combat Agility Fighter Attack 1: Dual Strike Fighter Attack 1: Cleave Fighter Utility 2: Glowering Threat Fighter Attack 3: Daunting Onslaught Fighter Attack 5: Dervish's Challenge Fighter Utility 6: Kirre's Roar Fighter Attack 7: Come and Get It Fighter Attack 9: One Against Many Fighter Utility 10: Fearsome Threat Fear Walker Attack 11: Wave of Terror Fear Walker Utility 12: Aura of Fear Fighter Attack 13: Menacing Surge FEATS Two-Weapon Defense Level 1: Two-Weapon Fighting Level 2: Net Training Level 4: World Serpent's Grasp Level 6: Improved Defenses Level 8: Dragging Flail Level 10: Vicious Advantage Level 11: Draconic Arrogance Level 12: Flail Expertise Level 14: Lashing Flail ITEMS Adventurer's Kit Alchemical Silver Circlet of Indomitability (heroic tier) x1 Predatory Flail +3 x1 Belt of Vim (heroic tier) x1 Courtier's Cape +3 x1 Elven Chain Shirt (heroic tier) War Ring x1 Dice of Auspicious Fortune Iron Armbands of Power (paragon tier) x1 Forgemaster's Gloves (heroic tier) x1 Lullaby Net +3 x1 Kord's Mighty Strength (level 13) Laughing Death Earthhide Armor +3 x1 Planestrider Boots x1
Before making any suggestions, do you have a way you prefer to play?  Finding the class that best matches your style is going to be more effective than trying to pick up a class that you think will best fit the party.

Dwarf Wardens seem to fit my style the best.
I would go with a dwarf lifeblood warden then.  Nice and durable, will help out the runepriests often weak healing, and brings some good control to the table too.  You will have a good front line with the runepriest and probably have your skills covered too.