Crafting or Tradeskills in 5e

Currently in 4e, we have two types of crafting: Magical Items and Alchemy.  Other types of crafting are handled through backgrounds or through the use of martial practices.

I know to some extent there is an interest in having some type of tradeskills return to the game, and while no doubt no one would take basketweaving as a skill they intended on using during their everyday adventure, there are plenty others who relish the idea of slaying a dragon with a sword they created on their own. 

A few thoughts on how I think it should work:

- The system should be an optional module that can easily be layered upon any set of rules people choose to use in their games.  This way, those that want it have clearly defined rules on it. Those who don't won't need to 

-  Crafting magical items should not require a wizard (or other caster). Be it through specialized training, or use of exotic materials, characters should not HAVE to rely on a wizard to enchant their gear.  This reduces the need to lean on certain classes.  So a fighter may make a suit of fire resistant armor from the scales of a red dragon, just so they can take on the evil pyromancer.  

- A risk vs. reward system may be put into place. Part of the draw of crafting your own gear is getting something you couldn't otherwise obtain.  Be it through skill checks, needing to find the right materials, the output of the process should correspond to the risk put into the process.  The finished piece of fire resistant armor should be more powerful if crafted from the scales of an elder dragon vs. that of a wyrmling because there was far more risk involved. 

- (Optional) character building resources needed to improve crafting skills should remain separate from other character building resources. This ultimately depends on how well the risk vs. reward works.  Not improving your athletics skill just so you can get an extra rank in tailoring may not be appealing to some.  If the system is separate players don't need that type of sacrifice.

Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
+1 to your entire post OP.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Add a +1 from me

(you don't want to know the wacked out rationalizations we eventually came up with to explain away magic items and trade goods when the core three launched for fourth-*hint*-it involved sweatshop labor stations hidden in the woods)
Add a +1 from me

(you don't want to know the wacked out rationalizations we eventually came up with to explain away magic items and trade goods when the core three launched for fourth-*hint*-it involved sweatshop labor stations hidden in the woods)

Yeah, we went over to inherent bonuses as soon as that was released - and the # of items have really diminished for us.
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/