what campaign settings would you want to see (besides FR)

I was thinking about this inchoate idea about modules being floated about and I was wondering if different modules could have campaigns associated with them.

So if you have a politicking module that emphasizes social skills, Birthright could be the associated setting.

If you have a module to bring back alignment mechanics, associate it with Greyhawk.

If you have a module to emphasize wilderness survival and exploration, Dark Sun is the campaign.

If you have a module to emphasize traps, puzzles, and player cleverness over dice rolling to overcome challenges, perhaps Planescape would work well.
@Wrecan - and that would be nice, but it would have to be done cheap, or there goes Wizards the way of the last days of TSR.  Too much material in the market + not enough people buying = no money made and game stores getting creamed.  Now, if there can be a cheap way of doing it, say one book/box set and then lots of online support, then that would work.  This is what Wizards has been saying they would do for settings they didn't support with in-store material, but has it happened much?  I haven't read Dragon since it went online so I don't know.
I would like to see the world of Nerath and the Nentir Vale detailed.

Kalex the Omen 
Dungeonmaster Extraordinaire

OSR Fan? Our Big Announcement™ is here!

Please join our forums!

Concerning Player Rules Bias
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
Gaining victory through rules bias is a hollow victory and they know it.
Concerning "Default" Rules
Kalex_the_Omen wrote:
The argument goes, that some idiot at the table might claim that because there is a "default" that is the only true way to play D&D. An idiotic misconception that should be quite easy to disprove just by reading the rules, coming to these forums, or sending a quick note off to Customer Support and sharing the inevitable response with the group. BTW, I'm not just talking about Next when I say this. Of course, D&D has always been this way since at least the late 70's when I began playing.

i fear it will be dropped, but i will forever love the ol nentir valley
Dragonlance
Planescape
Dark Sun

Mystara and Gryhawk. Nentir Vale would be good as well. However, Mystara is my number one.
Someone explain why they are so stuck on the forget me realms?

Thety are popular and profitable.  For some weird reason, Wizards wants to produce products that lots of people will buy.
Someone explain why they are so stuck on the forget me realms? I don't have enought information on what they are planning or how they plan to do it but I want something; anything other than FR. Hell make something new.

probably bc a lot of players from multiple editions like it?
Mystara is my number one.

how sick would a new hollow world box be

i fear it will be dropped, but i will forever love the ol nentir valley

Me too. I like it as a good old-fashioned generic intro fantasy setting. I would like to see it continued, as a world free of the history/baggage of FR and Greyhawk, with a focus on local, small-scale themes and less cluttered by the world-spanning organizations, powers, conspiracies, etc. of just about every other setting.
Eberron and Dark Sun are both a lot of fun.
I've never played it myself, but I've heard good stuff about Spelljammer.

I never use FR books for anything other than the mechanics. I've played a few games in the setting, but they're always really boring to me, mostly because I never know what's going on because the lore is really difficult to get into for me.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
I would love a return to Greyhawk.

I feel Dragonlance hasn't aged very well - it hasn't been as active of a world in the past few years and feels a bit outdated.

Forgotten realms, while a bit bloated, at least has been very active over the past few years with up-to-date stories - so I can see that one remaining

Of all the settings, I want to see Spelljammer return, the small return it did in 3rd was great, I missed that flavor.

So my "in" list:

Nentir Vale
Greyhawk
Spelljammer
Darksun 
Welcome to ZomboniLand - My D&D Blog http://zomboniland.blogspot.com/
Mystara is my number one.

how sick would a new hollow world box be

Yes please
Something truly new.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Eberron, Nentir Vale, and Birthright
Something truly new.

Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot this. I'm always behind trying new things. I know it's unrealistic to expect it right from the start, but after FR and maybe one other setting (preferrably Eberron), I'd love to see them try something new. There are so many concepts for campaigns worlds out there that are so unique and original and haven't at all been touched on as possibilities.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Forgotten Realms > Ravenloft > Dark Sun > Birthright > Eberron > Nentir Vale
somthing new

as Eberon was a setting to show off 3rd edition.
i was rather disapointed that 4th did not have a new setting that could showw of 4th to it's full potential ( without things upsetting people like with the changes to forgotten realms to make it fit 4th edition.) 

5th should introduce a new campaign that shows off the new game system in it's full glory an not held back by the fealings people have about a previous edition of that campaign.
somthing new

as Eberon was a setting to show off 3rd edition.

Wait... what?

i was rather disapointed that 4th did not have a new setting that could showw of 4th to it's full potential ( without things upsetting people like with the changes to forgotten realms to make it fit 4th edition.)

Excluding Nentir Vale you mean?

5th should introduce a new campaign that shows off the new game system in it's full glory an not held back by the fealings people have about a previous edition of that campaign.

New campaign settings are fine by me too. They definitely enjoy the advantage of not having to compete with previous iterations of the setting.
Nentir Vale was a great setting, but you had to piece it together from so many different sources.

I know that was part of the supposed draw to the setting, and one of the reasons I loved it, but I can understand how it didn't sit well with people who were looking for something a bit more fleshed out from the get-go
Spelljammer would be great. Would love to see Spelljammer dusted off and revamped for the new edition.

Other than that I'd like to see a new basic world with the feel of a the "old school" settings like Mystara, Dragonlance, etc.
Ravenloft, Mystara/HollowWorld, Spelljammer, Greyhawk in that order. Hell, if they don't want to give me the Known World, I would settle for a supplement detailing Glantri.
I really like the Points of Light setting and Eberron. I use them most often.

Really want an Artificer class. 
I think it really depends on how the mechanics of the game shake out.

For instance, I wouldn't like to see Greyhawk become a setting if doing so requires a whole lot of retconning or large-scale changes to introduce new races, concepts, etc. Like what happened to the Forgotten Realms with 4E, in order to have the new races, etc.

If the game requires large-scale changes, I say make a wholly new setting. If it's truly as adaptable as they're saying, and no large-scale changes would be required, then I'd vote for Greyhawk.
Please visit my Greyhawk Grognard blog
Points of Light > Eberron > Forgotten Realms > Ravenloft/Dark Sun

It's important to have Points of Light as a non-setting setting so the default choices can easily be bent to fit your preferred setting.

Eberron: Steampunk (Victoriana)
FR: High Fantasy (Broadly medieval)
Dark Sun: Survivalism, low-magic, ancient-world (city states and slaves)
Ravenloft: Gothic horror (games like Cthulu compete in this market, and previously they've done it better, so maybe D&D shouldn't focus its efforts here).
It might be good to add a sci-fi setting like Planescape back in, but again, it doesn't mesh so easily with the core brand.

JMH 
Personally, I'd love an update to Spelljammer at long last - and of course something NEW. In general, Eberron, Dark Sun and Ravenloft definitely deserve an official update.
Check out my D&D-based play-by-post game, based on exploration and roleplaying. Agora
Dark Sun.  I know they just did it in 4e, but I think it got kind of shafted because it was released juuuuust before they started switching over to essentials plus the whole charcter builder not having the material in it for several months thing.  The former overshadowed it and the latter irritated me greatly. It felt like it never got the support it deserved.

I'd also wouldn't mind seing Planescape come back.  'Old School' Planescape with the factions and everything.  I'm agnostic on the whole 'great whee' vs. 4e Cosmology' thing, so if that meant a return to the great whee;, I could live with that.  But the factions are really what made Planescape for me.  I can (and have) thrown Sigil into later editions, but without those, it just wasn't the same.
Planescape
Eberron and 
Ravenloft.

Also Birthright is one of my favorite but i know there is no chance to be printed again. Except if they produce a strategy game. I would buy it anytime. It is strange such magnificent world to be almost unplayable as a rpg. With Planescape probably the setting that influenced me most.  
I forgot about Birthright, I wouldn't mind seeing that come back either.  The 'Run a Kingdom' part worked pretty well, IMO, and was a fun mechanic.
with rich baker just getting blown out i dont see birthright happening. but i could be wrong
Good point, alas.
Hey,

I didn't think of this at first, but I'd really really like a My Little Pony campaign setting. Wait, stop, don't go. It's not so ridiculous (friendshipisdragons.thecomicseries.com/), and with the Star Wars RPG recently shut down there's a parameter space opening up there. Further, Hasbro own both D&D and MLP properties, so there's the opportunity to extract value from both and better leverage their investment. 

JMH 
Hey,

I didn't think of this at first, but I'd really really like a My Little Pony campaign setting. 

Power sources: Martial, Arcane, Divine, Friendship.
Hey,

I didn't think of this at first, but I'd really really like a My Little Pony campaign setting. 

Power sources: Martial, Arcane, Divine, Friendship.

Since Friendship is Magic, the arcane power source will be quite sufficient, thank you.

JMH

I'm more or less just an FR guy at this point, but I'll name a few that I think should be given support regardless:

1. Greyhawk should return. It's Gygax's setting and I think bringing it back would encourage a lot of disgruntled old-school fans to give 5e a go again, so long as they leave most of the setting intact (no Spellplague-y madness, though I think WotC knows that by now). Plus, it just seemed weird to me that the core setting of 3e was utterly abandoned and not even covered marginally in supplementary material.

2. Eberron. This is pretty much a given, since it's a fairly popular setting now in its own right, second only to FR (though with the angst about 4e it might actually be more popular now for all I know). From what I've heard, most fans would appreciate a minor time skip in this case of a few years or more, but again, nothing as drastic as the 100+ year jump in FR.

3. Dark Sun. It seems to be going pretty well in 4e and a lot of fans were really excited about it when it came back. So why not bring it back for 5e?

Now that's already four campaign settings, which is more than 4e has (not counting Points of Light), so it would seem a little obtuse to add more. However, I wouldn't mind seeing elements of Planescape also given greater attention in 5e, with further elaboration of the planes and their inhabitants as well as a return to the idea that the planes are exotic and dangerous, rather than adventure playgrounds like in 4e.

Honestly? All of them. Save for Birthright and Red Steel, I picked up a setting piece starting with 2nd ed. I still have all of them too. I'd have picked up Red Steel and Birthright if I'd have had cash at the time. As it is, I always keep a look out for things I may have missed.

If I had to narrow it down? Eberron. Planescape. Spelljammer. Everything else after those three.

-Calestin Kethal
Eberron. It brought me into DnD and I won't leave it behind.
In a similar theme to My Little Ponies, how about a campaign based on the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon?
I would love to see old campaign settings written for again, so long as they're done right.  Each one has moods, themes, and mise-en-scene that made it, beyond just the story and the mechanics.  I don't think Planescape would've been nearly as great if not for DiTerlizzi's et at. styalized artwork, the team's equally styalized writing, and the philosophical bent.

That being said - Planescape and Spelljammer would make me squee like a little girl,  Birthright would be amazing, and I think Ravenloft would sell well. 
I'm hoping for Planescape (before they trashed it and threw out all the factions. Monte Cook was heaving involved in it as well. Also... factions make great themes!