Above all, keep the rules simple, and make the software open source.

1) Simplicity
Conditional bonuses and temporary stuff that's difficult to remember needs to simply go away, or perhaps be left (within limits) to traditional complicated classes, like the wizard, so there is a place for those who love complicated things.
2) Software: Open source
Please don't hire anymore in-house consultants for the important digital side of the game. You can still own the copyright of the material, and just let the software framework be programmed by the open source community. I'm confident that they will get it up and running in under 10% of the time and money you're spending on it right now.
3) Rules Lawyers, grognards, optimizers - in other words, THE OBSESSED ones (you - ME)
I know they are beleagerung you and it's very annoying. Find a way to ignore them peacefully. Just don't give in to their retro demands and desire of complicating the rules so they have fodder for their optimization or balance obsession.
The game is about a bunch of people sitting together and making jokes and developing a story. It's not about mechanics for the majority of us. Unfortunately the obsessed minority is the most vocal. This is your biggest challenge! Make the game work for all of us.
The Wizard of Wor - a Lazy Human Taclord PMC Wizard Summoner
If they can really pull of this whole 'modularity' thing, then it should be possible to have the best of both worlds, if you like simple you can have simple and if you like complicated you can have complicated.  I.e. by having a very simple basic set of rules but lots of optional add ins to that rule set.  If they can pull that off, both types of player can get what they want.
It would make too much sense for Wizards to release the software open sourced ;) I mean the quality would just be too good for that to happen!

I'm serious about the quality part, open sourced software is really great with a caring community.

I stand behind that 100000%.  Obviously it can't be truly open sourced, cause they do have to make money on it, I'll stand with em there.  But if they gave you a tooset or dev kit or source code when you bought it, like Morrowind and Oblivion did on PC (not sure about Skyrim, I've got it on ps3) then you would get amazing customization for the software.

If I could add in my own races and rules and classes and stuff to a D&D 5 software suite similar to the Core + Expansion Software for 2e, I'd pay $50 for that easily.  Not above $60 for sure, but definitely $50 if it's offline.
I wholeheartedly agree with the request for the rules to be simple. The modular approach would permit those players who like additional complexity to use optional add-on rules, while permitting those who, like me, prefer a rules-light system, to play the way they like. Such an approach would also permit both types of players to share some common rules and fluff. Actually, the modular approach does not have to be limited to the dualism between simplicity-complexity, but can integrate other aspects, as mentioned by other posters: tactical combat, and other optional rules, such as those related to the management of realms and the direction of armies (à la Birthright).
Additionally, simplicity as the basis permits dungeon mastering to not be too burdensome, while permitting some players to complicate things. In my opinion, the opposite strategy would not work: setting a complex system as the basis from which players can opt-out regarding certain rules is more difficult to attain, given how the core nature of complex rules may end up affecting the system as a whole when a burdensome rule is ignored and related rules are affected. Campaign Settings should be focused on fluff and simple rules and indicate how add-on complex rules work.  Needless to say, I like simple systems.
Concerning offline electronic material, I think it is a must, beginning with the availability of PDF or EPUB books and continuing with tools that can be purchased (not simply rented). 
Sign In to post comments